Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

To me that article you just quoted makes the situation seem even more egregious. I don't know why her solicitors didn't object the first time, the idea of someone with such a profound preexisting relationship interrogating the other in a court of law is just hosed up.

Profound pre-existing relationship? It happened twenty years ago. They hosed once or twice and then broke up.

If the barrister did anything out of line he would be called on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Lid posted:

We already know the story, Pyne has sent his insane university deregulations to the senate and is continuing to steadfastly state this will go through. So no need for the whole article, let's just see the selling job.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/28/christopher-pyne-changes-university-funding-fair-go-for-students

We want a system that embodies the idea of a fair go – where there are no financial barriers to participating in higher education.

We want a system that embodies the idea of a fair go – where there are no financial barriers to participating in higher education.

I'm dearly looking forward to seeing him on 7:30 doing his trademark "punch me here" smile while refusing to admit the contradictory nature of what he's talking about.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Profound pre-existing relationship? It happened twenty years ago. They hosed once or twice and then broke up.

If the barrister did anything out of line he would be called on it.

Maybe she's just concerned about his performance at the bar and isn't up to the task of working over a witness.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
In Liberal party politics circa 2014 you can say that black is white and up is down and half the country will believe you because the Daily Telegraph will insist that Black is White and up is down and anyone who disagrees is a Nazi or a Muslim

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
They could say "we are halving the age pension to create are more secure and sustainable future for retirees" or "we are dredging the Great Barrier Reef to protect this natural wonder" or "I'm punching this puppy in the face to make sure that no harm befalls it" and millions s of Australians will go "yep sounds good fixing bloody Labors mess"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Scenes from my racist workplace:
"I've earned my racism"

"Oh I'm sure there's some good ones out there... Somewhere"

"I can say there's bad in all our species..."

"Back in my day the coons were not allowed at the pub"

:catstare:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

xPanda posted:

I'm dearly looking forward to seeing him on 7:30 doing his trademark "punch me here" smile while refusing to admit the contradictory nature of what he's talking about.

He'll be interviewed by Uhlmann. "Mr Pyne, can you explain why your policies are so good for Australia".

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

sidviscous posted:

He'll be interviewed by Uhlmann. "Mr Pyne, can you explain why your policies are so good for Australia".

"Mr Pyne, your legislation seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Oh my god now one of them is advocating genocide. Kill me.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Ahh the employment adventures of Froglet & Anidav continue

:allears:

Which race is he (I assume he) after?

I am going with the entire middle east

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
froglet did you piss on MLK's grave in a previous life

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Froglet did you accidently join The Hitler Youth?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
froglet did you x the y?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sidviscous posted:

Lol - I was in Queenstown the weekend that they changed the laws on how to drive on roundabouts. It was... challenging.

[edit: also, bus drivers driving up the hill to the Remarkables on 2 wheels... outstanding

Hahah what did they change the roundabout laws to?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

Ahh the employment adventures of Froglet & Anidav continue

:allears:

Which race is he (I assume he) after?

I am going with the entire middle east

Nope, aboriginals.

Bonus quote:
"I'm not racist, this is my from my personal experience!"

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Can we please just backdate deregulated uni fees so everyone who got a free degree can now pay it back? Adjusted for inflation and interest of course.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

HookShot posted:

Hahah what did they change the roundabout laws to?

I had to look it up and it wasn't roundabouts, it was worse - general give way rules..
Used to be that if you were pulling out from the terminating road of a T-junction and someone wanted to turn right across you from the main road, they had to give way to you - arse about to the entire rest of the world. They've changed it to how everyone else on the planet does it, which was fine for me as an Australian travelling there, and very confusing for locals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlGcWQLFCY

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

froglet posted:

Froglet got a job at Hancock prospecting?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sidviscous posted:

I had to look it up and it wasn't roundabouts, it was worse - general give way rules..
Used to be that if you were pulling out from the terminating road of a T-junction and someone wanted to turn right across you from the main road, they had to give way to you - arse about to the entire rest of the world. They've changed it to how everyone else on the planet does it, which was fine for me as an Australian travelling there, and very confusing for locals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlGcWQLFCY

Hahahah wow, yeah, that's a pretty messed up rule, it's a good thing they changed it.

I used to get really, really confused at stop signs in Australia because in Canada it's basically "first come, first serve" so if you're the second one to arrive at the stop sign, you go second. I never managed to wrap my head around "give way to your right", so basically whenever I hit a stop sign in Australia I had to get my husband to tell me when it was my turn to go.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crikey by request:

quote:

Mike Carlton: Gaza is Israel's Vietnam, with Hamas victorious

So Hamas wins. No matter how Israel and its friends spin it, the raw fact is that this "indefinite ceasefire" leaves Hamas unbeaten in Gaza.

Bloodied and battered, yes, with an echelon of its senior military and political leadership killed by Israeli airstrikes. But it is only down, not out. It lives to fight another day, which means that Benjamin Netanyahu and his hard-Right Likud-coalition government have failed, and disastrously so, in their stated aim of ensuring Israel's security by a crushing military and economic dominance of the Palestinian people. They rolled the dice. They lost.

This is the nature of asymmetrical warfare. As we saw in Vietnam, one side deploys overwhelming military and technological muscle -- and the propaganda to go with it -- to crush its weak and primitive opponent. Entire American infantry and air cavalry divisions, hundreds of thousands of men and machines, were hurled against an enemy that lived in tunnels and moved by stealth and guile. It was B52 bombers and napalm against little guys wearing rubber tyre sandals and driving clapped-out Russian tanks. For years the United States navy and air force bombed the bejesus out of Hanoi and the Ho Chi Minh supply trail down along the Cambodian border with Vietnam. Henry Kissinger strutted his diplomatic magic in Geneva and Paris.

And it failed. Utterly. Voltaire got it right: God is not always on the side of the big battalions. Having beaten their French overlords, North Vietnam's political and military leadership ratcheted the theory up a couple of notches. They recognised that their regular northern army -- and their subordinate southern Viet Cong cadres -- could never defeat the United States in the field. But they knew they didn't need to. No matter what their casualties, no matter how many thousands of their young men they committed to certain death, all they had to do was to still be standing when the Americans lost the will to fight and the shooting stopped. And they were.

So is Hamas. As its spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said on Tuesday: "Hamas is grateful to the people of Gaza who sacrificed their homes, children and money. We announce the victory today after achieving our goals. Netanyahu has failed to force Gaza to surrender. Yes, we defeated them by our standing and our resistance."

The figures are horrifying. Agence France Press estimated that more than 2000 Palestinians were killed in seven weeks of war, including 493 children. Some 10,000 people were injured, 3100 of them children, of whom around 1000 will suffer some permanent disability. And about 475,000 people have been left homeless.

By contrast, Israel's ambulance service counted just five civilian deaths and 37 injuries -- only one critical -- from Hamas rockets and mortars over the 50 days. Technology again; Israel's Iron Dome missile defence worked brilliantly.

But to what end? American historian Barbara Tuchman nailed what she called the march of folly: the wooden-headed (her words) pursuit by nations of policies catastrophically against their own interests. Her examples included the Spanish King Philip II's dispatch of the Armada against Elizabethan England, George III's attempt to crush the rebellious 13 American colonies and, yes, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon in Vietnam.

To which illustrious roll we can now add the name Netanyahu. His reckless folly has ensured that Hamas and Islamic Jihad now have an abundant source of recruits for their next generation of fighters. They will be those who survived this latest war, those children who saw their parents or their brothers and sisters blown to pieces and their homes, schools, and entire neighbourhoods obliterated. And they will rise again. The entire history of this benighted land tells us there is nothing more certain. No Israeli now alive will know peace. Hamas can resume the strategy and tactics of terror at any time it chooses.

None of this is even vaguely understood by the powerful and sophisticated Likud lobby in Australia. The faintest criticism of Israel is always met with concerted howls of "anti-Semitism!" It is a facile libel flung about by the comfortable kaffeeklatsch of Sydney and Melbourne, well-upholstered burghers who have never actually experienced a flicker of anti-Semitism in their gilded lives, let alone the Gestapo knock at midnight or even a rocket landing down the street. In doing so, they demean the memory of those who truly knew what it meant: the dead of Auschwitz.

The final word can be left to 327 Jewish survivors and descendants of victims of the Nazi genocide who signed an open letter to The New York Times this week:

"We unequivocally condemn the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza and the ongoing occupation and colonization of historic Palestine.

"We further condemn the United States for providing Israel with the funding to carry out the attack, and Western states more generally for using their diplomatic muscle to protect Israel from condemnation. Genocide begins with the silence of the world.

"We are alarmed by the extreme, racist dehumanization of Palestinians in Israeli society, which has reached a fever-pitch. In Israel, politicians and pundits in The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post have called openly for genocide of Palestinians and right-wing Israelis are adopting Neo-Nazi insignia ...

"Furthermore, we are disgusted and outraged by... Israel’s wholesale effort to destroy Gaza and the murder of more than 2,000 Palestinians, including many hundreds of children. Nothing can justify bombing UN shelters, homes, hospitals and universities. Nothing can justify depriving people of electricity and water.

"We must raise our collective voices and use our collective power to bring about an end to all forms of racism, including the ongoing genocide of Palestinian people. We call for an immediate end to the siege against and blockade of Gaza. We call for the full economic, cultural and academic boycott of Israel. 'Never again' must mean NEVER AGAIN FOR ANYONE!"

But then, they're probably anti-Semitic.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Froglet got a job at Hancock prospecting?

No, but one of them did say they agreed with Lang Hancock's solution to "the aboriginal problem"!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

froglet posted:

Do you bake, Froglet?

Because I suggest Ratsak brownies.

Actually maybe blondies, I doubt they'll eat brownies

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

HookShot posted:

I used to get really, really confused at stop signs in Australia because in Canada it's basically "first come, first serve" so if you're the second one to arrive at the stop sign, you go second. I never managed to wrap my head around "give way to your right", so basically whenever I hit a stop sign in Australia I had to get my husband to tell me when it was my turn to go.

You're describing the way I've been driving in Australia for 7 years. Apparently I've been wrong this whole time...

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

froglet posted:

"Back in my day the coons were not allowed at the pub"

That happened to my dad when my parents arrived in Brisbane, just before I was born.

Also, women weren't allowed in the bar, they had to sit and drink in the lounge.

This wasn't so long ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Haters Objector posted:

In Liberal party politics circa 2014 you can say that black is white and up is down and half the country will believe you because the Daily Telegraph will insist that Black is White and up is down and anyone who disagrees is a Nazi or a Muslim

The Abbott government's long-awaited review into Australia's renewable energy target has recommended the scheme be abolished by 2030 or scaled back.
The report, chaired by businessman and climate sceptic Dick Warburton, says the costs imposed by the scheme are "not justifiable" and calls on the government to find lower cost alternatives for reducing carbon emissions.
But the review, published on Thursday after weeks of speculation about its contents, acknowledges that the scheme has led to lower wholesale electricity prices and that its impact on household bills over time is "relatively small".
However, it argues the scheme has led to "artificially" low wholesale prices by increasing the supply of electricity at a time when demand has been falling.
The panel recommended two options. The first would close the scheme to new entrants and see the target end for all companies by 2030. The second option would reduce the renewable energy target by bringing it in line with falling electricity demand, what's known as the "true 20 per cent" scenario.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

GoldStandardConure posted:

Froglet did you accidently join The Hitler Youth?

No, worse, froglet works in IT.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Someday I will see a sign that doesn't say Junior Positions only and when that day comes I will get a job, maybe.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

You're describing the way I've been driving in Australia for 7 years. Apparently I've been wrong this whole time...
Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that I had an Australian person driving with me all the time because I was on my Ls I would have never, ever known either. Whoever gets their first goes first makes so much more sense than give way to your right, anyway.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

froglet posted:

No, but one of them did say they agreed with Lang Hancock's solution to "the aboriginal problem"!

Don't put up with this filth.

Get them all fired.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Don't put up with this filth.

Get them all fired.

My boss said that and she's buddies with the CEO. :negative:

I'm going to try and stick it out for 6 months since I have only been here less than 3 weeks and I'm not sure what my chances of getting another job are.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

froglet posted:

My boss said that and she's buddies with the CEO. : negative:

I'm going to try and stick it out for 6 months since I have only been here less than 3 weeks and I'm not sure what my chances of getting another job are.

They'll be just as racist and awful wherever you go in IT.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
"Maybe it's not racist to say that Asians are bad drivers but good at maths"

-Joe 'dumb, drunk and racist' Hildebrand

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Has Hildebrand had anything contemptible to say recently. More about how asylum seekers are criminals who deserve it and women in abusive relationships should nut up or shut up?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

froglet posted:

My boss said that and she's buddies with the CEO. :negative:

Expose them on YouTube then

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

HookShot posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that I had an Australian person driving with me all the time because I was on my Ls I would have never, ever known either. Whoever gets their first goes first makes so much more sense than give way to your right, anyway.

Fun fact, I never actually passed any driving tests. I had an Ontario learners permit and went to the department of motor vehicles to exchange it for a Qld learners permit; I didn't drive but I used it for ID and sometimes bouncers would hassle me due to the international licence. They took it from me, I waited, they handed me a Qld open licence.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Splode posted:

They'll be just as racist and awful wherever you go in IT.

We have no racists in my IT team of 7.

90% of staff (everyone but IT) is Jehovah's Witness though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

Fun fact, I never actually passed any driving tests. I had an Ontario learners permit and went to the department of motor vehicles to exchange it for a Qld learners permit; I didn't drive but I used it for ID and sometimes bouncers would hassle me due to the international licence. They took it from me, I waited, they handed me a Qld open licence.

Me neither, I had an Ontario learner's and a BC learner's, and I handed in the BC one to get my Queensland learner's. Then I went to do my test for my Ps and the dude failed me for not stopping at a stop sign. When we left my husband and I did the same route we did, there were no stop signs along the route at all.

So I got pissed off and went to the RTA in NSW where I lived then and gave them my Ontario learner's, and they gave me an open one. I think it's because the only thing the Ontario learner's says is that tiny little G1 on the back that no one who doesn't live in Ontario would know what that means.

The lesson to take from this is gently caress Queensland.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

HookShot posted:

gently caress Queensland.

This, always and forever.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

ilu scott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Gough Suppressant posted:

"Maybe it's not racist to say that Asians are bad drivers but good at maths"

-Joe 'dumb, drunk and racist' Hildebrand

This is something that annoys me more than I guess it should. People who think that saying a positive thing about a race can't be racist. The whole Asian are good at maths or that black people are good at athletics schtick. By implication, they are saying other races are not as good at maths or athletics.

They see racism = bad

instead of racism = broad generalisations based on race

• Locked thread