Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

revmoo posted:

My NIC in my router just poo poo the bed. Can anyone recommend a 100 megabit PCI card (Amazon link preferably) that will work without additional drivers?

http://amzn.com/B00030DEQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

If it was that price with shipping I'd buy it, but I really don't need gigabit (it's for my WAN port)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

revmoo posted:

If it was that price with shipping I'd buy it, but I really don't need gigabit (it's for my WAN port)

Like I said before, most of them will be gigabit now.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

revmoo posted:

You could also try this Realtek-based one if price is your primary concern: http://amzn.com/B0034CSUZ8

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

100 mbit cards won't be significantly cheaper because the demand is way lower

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SamDabbers posted:

You could also try this Realtek-based one if price is your primary concern: http://amzn.com/B0034CSUZ8

This one looks good, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Has anyone tried to HA-cluster HAProxy instances in a cloud environment like Amazon EC2? What strategies/tools did you end up using for failover, and why? I'm very familiar with stuff like Pacemaker, but it looks like keepalived is pretty popular with HAProxy nowadays.

Active/passive is fine for us right now, but I'd like to be able to switch up to active/active without re-tooling the whole stack.

I set up keepalived and it's been working well for active/passive. I haven't looked into active/active yet.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm running lubuntu 14.04 on a home media server. How can I force a virtualbox vm to save state automatically when I shutdown/reboot remotely from the console? I can do it myself in a separate step with vboxmanage but I always forget. Google turned up several solutions, no two are alike and nobody agrees whether they work or not :downs:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 25, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm running lubuntu 14.04 on a home media server. How can I force a virtualbox vm to save state automatically when I shutdown/reboot remotely from the console? I can do it myself in a separate step with vboxmanage but I always forget. Google turned up several solutions, no two are alike and nobody agrees whether they work or not :downs:

I don't have any answer to this, but might it be more convenient to suspend and save the current state than to shut the vm down? I also noticed at least on the desktop version that there are some things missing now. Maybe oracle is trying to pull a fast one and get people to pay money. I normally use vmware these days since they have a free version.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think you misread, because that's what I want to do, but to clarify I'm rebooting the host with 'sudo reboot' in a remote console and I want to somehow make it run 'vboxcontrol controlvm vmname savestate' and wait for it to finish (~5 sec) instead of just killing the process

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 25, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Especially since you also want the VM to start when you turn the host on (or at least I assume you do), I'd set it up as a service, so that on boot it runs vboxcontrol controlvm vmname start (or whatever) and on shutdown runs your command to save the state.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I think you misread, because that's what I want to do, but to clarify I'm rebooting the host with 'sudo reboot' in a remote console and I want to somehow make it run 'vboxcontrol controlvm vmname savestate' and wait for it to finish (~5 sec) instead of just killing the process

Ah, my bad.
Sounds like if you write up a script to do it, then you can set that as one of the scripts for shutdown process. Quick and dirty way would be run the command and then using the sleep command to wait.

I see a few pages out there with example init scripts to combat the issue. This one looks like it might be worth checking out:

http://www.glump.net/howto/virtualization/how-to-setup-virtualbox-as-a-service-in-linux

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Especially since you also want the VM to start when you turn the host on (or at least I assume you do), I'd set it up as a service, so that on boot it runs vboxcontrol controlvm vmname start (or whatever) and on shutdown runs your command to save the state.

JHVH-1 posted:

Ah, my bad.
Sounds like if you write up a script to do it, then you can set that as one of the scripts for shutdown process. Quick and dirty way would be run the command and then using the sleep command to wait.

I see a few pages out there with example init scripts to combat the issue. This one looks like it might be worth checking out:

http://www.glump.net/howto/virtualization/how-to-setup-virtualbox-as-a-service-in-linux

This was a good idea and led to all sorts of new virtualbox adventures because I had to get rdp working; the guest is running tinyxp for the ~120 meg memory footprint and it seems to be incapable of installing XP's native RDP service (it asked for Windows XP CD2, there is no loving CD2) so I spent an hour trying to get virtualbox VRDP working because it starts listening when you turn it on but you can't actually connect to it until you restart the VM headless :spooky: so 3 different RDP clients would just hang forever on connecting in what turned out to be an unacknowledged auth error.

Now it's working beautifully and I learned stuff, thanks for the help :shepicide:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 26, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Now it's working beautifully and I learned stuff, thanks for the help :shepicide:

Welcome to Linux!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Not really a general Linux question, but more of a PXE question:

I'm trying to take an ISO I have from our server manufacturer and make it into a PXE bootable firmware upgrade utility. I see that they have various options as part of the pxe APPEND argument for a 'share_type', which can be cdrom, nfs, smbfs.

I want to know more about this option to see if it's possible to also hosts files off of a regular web server, however Google isn't really doing me any good right now.

Anyone know where I can find more info out about this?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wicaeed posted:

Not really a general Linux question, but more of a PXE question:

I'm trying to take an ISO I have from our server manufacturer and make it into a PXE bootable firmware upgrade utility. I see that they have various options as part of the pxe APPEND argument for a 'share_type', which can be cdrom, nfs, smbfs.

I want to know more about this option to see if it's possible to also hosts files off of a regular web server, however Google isn't really doing me any good right now.

Anyone know where I can find more info out about this?

There's no standard for this stuff. In Red Hat distros, Anaconda interprets it. Or dracut. Or another utility. In Debian, debbootstrap. Or dracut. Or whatever.

Do you know what kernel they're using? What's the utility?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I have a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 LTS desktop install and Google Chrome has no audio. Sound works everywhere else (like system sounds, Rhythmbox, etc.) but when I try to play a Youtube video I get no audio at all. Sound is not muted, have tried every ubuntu sound not working post I can find, but still Chrome refuses to play sound. Anyone else run into this problem?

I'm frankly kind of shocked how lovely 14.04 LTS is compared to my current 12.04 LTS install. Everything works great with 12.04 LTS (including sound in Chrome), but 14.04 LTS feel like a buggy heap of poo poo. I'm starting to get fed up with Ubuntu, what's the next best non-Ubuntu desktop OS? I just want an OS where basic stuff like sound works without any loving around, but 12.04 is getting really long in the tooth and I'm sick of installing PPA's to get more up to date stuff like better compilers, etc. Curious if anyone else has abandoned Ubuntu and where you went, because 14.04 LTS seems like a giant turd so far.

edit: Actually, just installed Chromium and sound works perfectly. Weird--anyone know exactly what the difference is between Chromium and real Google Chrome installed from google's site? (I know the core renderer is the same)

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 28, 2014

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Wicaeed posted:

I want to know more about this option [...]

The APPEND bootloader command only places a string of text to the location where the Linux kernel expects to find the kernel command line.

The kernel won't produce errors if it sees some options it does not recognize: it just presents the entire line of kernel boot options in /proc/cmdline and assumes that the boot-up scripts or something else will understand the parts that are meaningless to the kernel.

If the manufacturer does not provide any more information, there is one more possibility:
Extract the initrd/initramfs and see what the scripts inside it are actually doing.

This obviously works only if there actually is an initrd file: the worst possibility is that the thing is actually a single custom binary blob that follows Linux kernel conventions so that it can be booted using Linux bootloaders. But that would be a lot of work for minimal gain, so it's more likely that you'll find an extractable initrd containing some scripts and a binary utility that does the actual update.

An initrd file is typically compressed: usually with gzip, but other compression tools are possible. The "file" command will usually identify the compression type for you.

Inside the compression, you'll typically find a cpio archive file (modern initramfs) or a filesystem image file (older-style initrd). Either extract the cpio archive or mount the image file to some temporary location, and you can begin examining its guts.

The first step is either a file named "linuxrc" at the root of the initrd image, or [/sbin|/bin|/etc]/init.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

mod sassinator posted:

what's the next best non-Ubuntu desktop OS? I just want an OS where basic stuff like sound works without any loving around, but 12.04 is getting really long in the tooth and I'm sick of installing PPA's to get more up to date stuff like better compilers, etc.

I've tried to kick the Ubuntu habit a few times, but the PPA system is really handy and the sheer volume of software available is hard to beat. If someone's done a Linux version of some proprietary software, you can always bet it will work in Ubuntu.

The only thing more annoying than having to install a PPA is using a distro without PPAs, with no version packaged for your distro and no source available to compile it yourself. ;)

For your flash issues, do you have pepperflashplugin-nonfree installed? Using it in preference to the 'old' flash plugin has fixed a few things for me - I think it only works with Chrome(ium) though. Perhaps the browsers were set to use different versions?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mod sassinator posted:

I have a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 LTS desktop install and Google Chrome has no audio. Sound works everywhere else (like system sounds, Rhythmbox, etc.) but when I try to play a Youtube video I get no audio at all. Sound is not muted, have tried every ubuntu sound not working post I can find, but still Chrome refuses to play sound. Anyone else run into this problem?

I'm frankly kind of shocked how lovely 14.04 LTS is compared to my current 12.04 LTS install. Everything works great with 12.04 LTS (including sound in Chrome), but 14.04 LTS feel like a buggy heap of poo poo. I'm starting to get fed up with Ubuntu, what's the next best non-Ubuntu desktop OS? I just want an OS where basic stuff like sound works without any loving around, but 12.04 is getting really long in the tooth and I'm sick of installing PPA's to get more up to date stuff like better compilers, etc. Curious if anyone else has abandoned Ubuntu and where you went, because 14.04 LTS seems like a giant turd so far.

edit: Actually, just installed Chromium and sound works perfectly. Weird--anyone know exactly what the difference is between Chromium and real Google Chrome installed from google's site? (I know the core renderer is the same)
What sound hardware do you have?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just the stock motherboard audio driver from this board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4601#sp Looks like it's a Realtek ALC892 chip. The weird thing is sound works perfectly in Ubuntu, but not in Chrome itself. I think it's a Chrome or Flash related issue. Chromium does have sound so I've switched to that browser for now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

Just the stock motherboard audio driver from this board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4601#sp Looks like it's a Realtek ALC892 chip. The weird thing is sound works perfectly in Ubuntu, but not in Chrome itself. I think it's a Chrome or Flash related issue. Chromium does have sound so I've switched to that browser for now.

It is something wrong with Chrome or Flash, because I had the exact same issue on Windows 8.1 and just ended up switching to Firefox (for this plus other reasons).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

I just want an OS where basic stuff like sound works without any loving around, but 12.04 is getting really long in the tooth and I'm sick of installing PPA's to get more up to date stuff like better compilers, etc. Curious if anyone else has abandoned Ubuntu and where you went, because 14.04 LTS seems like a giant turd so far.

Personally, I abandoned Ubuntu around the 9.04 release. I spent a couple years running PCLOS as my preferred distro, then moved to using openSUSE as my desktop OS. All my machines now run openSUSE, and it's been uniformly excellent on each install. The only caveat to that is that I have only run the XFCE and KDE spins, so can't speak to their implementation of other DEs.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally, I abandoned Ubuntu around the 9.04 release. I spent a couple years running PCLOS as my preferred distro, then moved to using openSUSE as my desktop OS. All my machines now run openSUSE, and it's been uniformly excellent on each install. The only caveat to that is that I have only run the XFCE and KDE spins, so can't speak to their implementation of other DEs.

What's happening with SUSE these days? Has SEL lost the enterprise wars to RHEL and Ubuntu or is it still going strong? For some reason I never really see much mention of it these days.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 29, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Does anybody here use Munin? I've spent a bit of time tinkering and getting it to set up and I've finally just fixed the cron then so it should be running. It's generating graphs for the daily side, but the weekly graphs are all showing NaN. Do I need to wait a full week for the weekly graphs to start populating or are they just not working for some reason? I would have expected them to have started as the daily graphs did, just showing the areas they have data for. Are they populated by a different process? I can't find anything in google.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Does anybody here use Munin? I've spent a bit of time tinkering and getting it to set up and I've finally just fixed the cron then so it should be running. It's generating graphs for the daily side, but the weekly graphs are all showing NaN. Do I need to wait a full week for the weekly graphs to start populating or are they just not working for some reason? I would have expected them to have started as the daily graphs did, just showing the areas they have data for. Are they populated by a different process? I can't find anything in google.

You don't need to wait a full week but the graphs like the weekly graphs don't update as frequently as the daily. Just give it a little time.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Longinus00 posted:

You don't need to wait a full week but the graphs like the weekly graphs don't update as frequently as the daily. Just give it a little time.

You're right, of course it's not going to update until it has at least one smallest-unit data point -- a whole day.

I was expecting it to have come out with yesterday's but with the cron broken of course it's not going to have that data. Duh.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Another question I'm worried about is, it takes like 10 seconds to run each munin cron - update, graph, html, limits. Is that slow or standard? It's on my production server so I want to make sure everything isn't slowing down to a halt for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. Presumably you'd only see a tiny rise in CPU/memory while its doing it, and if it were really affecting performance you'd see that in the cpu/memory readings that were taken at the same time.

Okay I've answered my own question, I'm just new to this whole server analysis stuff. I'm starting to put my website out to reddit etc and I want to make sure I can interpret the performance etc that comes out so I know if I have anything to worry about. I know you're talking about thousands of people trying to hammer it at the same time rather than tens of people, but I've never been in a position to analyse it before so I'm curious.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Another question I'm worried about is, it takes like 10 seconds to run each munin cron - update, graph, html, limits. Is that slow or standard? It's on my production server so I want to make sure everything isn't slowing down to a halt for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. Presumably you'd only see a tiny rise in CPU/memory while its doing it, and if it were really affecting performance you'd see that in the cpu/memory readings that were taken at the same time.

Okay I've answered my own question, I'm just new to this whole server analysis stuff. I'm starting to put my website out to reddit etc and I want to make sure I can interpret the performance etc that comes out so I know if I have anything to worry about. I know you're talking about thousands of people trying to hammer it at the same time rather than tens of people, but I've never been in a position to analyse it before so I'm curious.

The update cron is not too taxing unless you are running hundreds of server nodes. The graph cron can be depending on how many plugins you have installed because it has to generate so many images. A way of reducing the load is to configure it to use cgi graphing where it only makes the graphs when you actually look at them instead of doing the generation every 5 minutes just in case.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Oh, okay. That's fine then. I'm definitely in the position of worrying needlessly. It's the equivalent of wondering whether my back garden is spacious enough to host Obama's birthday party -- Wait til you're friends with the president, then start measuring.

But I might check into the on-the-fly cgi image generation, it sounds like something worth knowing how to set up for future reference :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Oh, okay. That's fine then. I'm definitely in the position of worrying needlessly. It's the equivalent of wondering whether my back garden is spacious enough to host Obama's birthday party -- Wait til you're friends with the president, then start measuring.

But I might check into the on-the-fly cgi image generation, it sounds like something worth knowing how to set up for future reference :)

This is a bizarre analogy and not really accurate, scalability should be a concern

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

What are you talking about? What's wrong with the analogy?

As far as I can tell the server will be able to handle anything I can throw at it. If I start seeing traffic beyond my wildest dreams, then I'll start worrying. Until then I'd be wasting my time trying to optimise it to handle loads it will never, ever see. Your uncle's fish and chip shop website is not google maps. Server requirements change, and you can probably guess what end of that spectrum I'm on.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Captain Foo posted:

This is a bizarre analogy and not really accurate, scalability should be a concern

If it were me, I'd be dumping a lot of this with something like graphite instead of munin anyway.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evol262 posted:

If it were me, I'd be dumping a lot of this with something like graphite instead of munin anyway.

Graphite's default UI is pretty craptastic though, and munin "just works" (for various values of works). Combine graphite with a better frontend and a good data gathering service and it's not that bad.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mod sassinator posted:

Curious if anyone else has abandoned Ubuntu and where you went, because 14.04 LTS seems like a giant turd so far.

I went off to Arch Linux. It's a tryhard flavor but the bonus is the fact you don't deal with moving parts colliding with each other. You build it up from nearly nothing after the install, the install is the tryhard portion. The install isn't exactly that difficult considering there is so many guides out there though, it's more to teach the inner workings of your computer and to cull out the people unready (read as refusal to google and read documentation) to use Arch. However the added bonus is the AUR so you pretty much never deal with adding PPA to download stuff. The documentation is far superior compared to Ubuntu as well. Even if you don't make the switch to Arch I'd still recommend using the wiki. Manjaro Linux is Arch with a fancy installer and still retains access to the AUR so if you don't want to deal with the install it'd still be worth looking into it. Arch and Majaro are rolling releases and use the latest versions of packages as well so adding PPA in to stay current isn't a thing at all. You also don't get poo poo like ffmpeg getting yanked out and replaced with awful stuff like avconv and telling you the program is deprecated.

Edit: gently caress this is barely readable since i just woke up. I'm trying to say is Arch / Manjaro are pretty cool and the AUR is super cool. Arch is kinda difficult to get into via the install but Manjaro solves that with a GUI installer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arch is loving awful. It's nice if you want to DIY a lot of poo poo and have absolute control over your system, but it's completely useless for anyhthing if you want it to just work.

If you don't update for a couple of weeks / months you're looking at having to fix poo poo manually for an hour or two because the arch developers decided that $important_part needed to be moved or replaced and you have to make sure the updates go well or you end up with a non functional system. You can't just do "pacman -Syu" and expect things to work afterwards.

For example the dreaded " filesystem upgrade - manual intervention required" message means that you have to read the wiki very carefully and get it right because if you gently caress up and try to get help from the community all they'll say is "did you read the manual?" and be pedantic as gently caress about it. Thankfully I never needed help but looking through the forums for answers most threads were like that.

Pacman also doesn't track old packages very well, for instance if you have old libraries or w/e pacman forgot about and the file system upgrade you're trying to do needs to do something to the directory they're in it errors out with something about untracked files and you need to fix it by hand.

So in short: if you like tinkering constantly to keep it running then great. If you want stuff to work without too much thought stay far away.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

He does have a point about using the Arch wiki even if you don't use the distro itself. That thing is a goldmine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Prince John posted:

What's happening with SUSE these days? Has SEL lost the enterprise wars to RHEL and Ubuntu or is it still going strong? For some reason I never really see much mention of it these days.

I'm honestly not sure, but my impression is that SUSE has a better hold in Europe while Redhat dominates in the US. I've just been running openSUSE as a desktop OS on a half-dozen or so machines, and it has been a joy on all of them, particularly since the 13.1 release.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SUSE is really big in Germany mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My US based company is converting from Solaris to SUSE. I have no idea why, tbh, I would have expected them to go RHEL, since we already have some RHEL from prior to the decision to move to a Linux platform.