Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I still fail to die for the earth. Our boarding lust has not gone well. The aliens are, I think, dark sorcerers if what I hear of this crazy moon crystal is true. I fear the Gate of Karesh has been opened and our moon sapphires are at grave risk from the ravening dark wizards from beyond our galaxy, just as Al Gore warned us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Neruz posted:

What the poo poo have those aliens been doing on the moon, this 'Tesseractite' makes no goddamn sense. No bloody way this stuff formed naturally but why the hell was it hidden on the moon?

Think '2001'. Could be a deliberate plant or ruins from before us.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To be fair, the idea was we'd have more than 1 boarding ship.
Because it looks like we'll need 5 or 6 to take a light cruiser.

Shields and armour I mean, we've got boarding shuttles, what more do we need?

Besides, you know, better boarding weapons. Rookies and Rifles aren't that effective, it turns out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, the idea was we'd have more than 1 boarding ship.
Because it looks like we'll need 5 or 6 to take a light cruiser.

Shields and armour I mean, we've got boarding shuttles, what more do we need?

Besides, you know, better boarding weapons. Rookies and Rifles aren't that effective, it turns out.

Impossible! The rookie-rifle synergy has won every war we have ever faced with the alien. It is the perfect unification of two worthless things to form a pearl of great price, a force that destroys all before it.

Wait. Do you mean BALLISTIC rifles. Not laser rifles? If we are sending men to assault large alien vessels with ballistics we are doomed. DOOOOOMED.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Scintilla posted:

So basically what I'm understanding here is that we've discovered Tiberium on the moon.

Elerium-115.

Preid
May 22, 2014
It has been shown that the enemy can easily outproduce us when it come to a war of attrition, so the only viable plan for long term survival is ensure that our guns are large enough to destroy enough enemy ships to cause an impact before blowing up like the horrible tinderboxes that they are. While on this train of though, do you think that loading our ships with large amounts of explosive materials and ramming into the heart of the enemy armada would work?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Anticheese posted:

Elerium-115.

Tesseractite.

That is actually a really great name for a scifi magic material. Surprised no-one has thought of it before.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Nick "Havoc" Parker takes Arnold Rimmer's place as engineer. He spends a lot of his time punching the reactor.

Hitting things with a fist is pretty much the same as wrench, right?

Scintilla posted:

So basically what I'm understanding here is that we've discovered Tiberium on the moon.

So that's where Kane has been hiding. Hopefully no one minds if I take a week vacation on the moon to brutally slaughter some Nod grunts see pinnacle of human engineering. Now where did I leave my personal ion cannon.

Anyway, get better shields and armour for the boarding pods.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Let our outposts be our shields and our fleets our giant gently caress off ray guns. All weapons, all the time.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

occipitallobe posted:

Lieutenant Commander Central Bradford, Lieutenant Kit Kat and Ensign Af Eee all die for the glory of Earth.

:(

... Can I reverse my decision on Peruvian voodoo robots post-mortem?

And in light of this terrible, terrible tragedy, I vote More Armor.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
More armor and shields so we can better survive ramming the enemy. :black101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bigger cruisers.

We can't build ships that are more advanced than the aliens, so we need to build ships that are bigger than theirs. They have light cruisers. So we must have heavy cruisers.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shields and armor! Shields mean being able to fire on the enemy for longer before blowing up! It is the perfect strategy!

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
Me and Sam starfall are both in agreement that we want Shields and armor

:cthulhu: For the record. I stole my crews wallets before I escaped. That way part of them will survive with me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Captain Turd Ferguson agrees with choosing shields and armor.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Shields and armor :black101: also I am surprised I was not thrown into the first boarding crew...perhaps my luck has turned around?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ALL WEAPONS ALL THE TIME. NO STOPPING UNTIL OUR WEAPONS ARE BIGGER THAN THEIR SHIPS.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Volunteering as "Grizz" Ursus, a very angry cyborg bear. Hopefully I can make major before dying gloriously.

What? We've already got zombies and a squid guy.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Can I get signed up as a Russian "Wasily "Red Star" Zhukovovsky".
Preferably in a position to :commissar: the xenos

imajumberjack
Aug 5, 2014

Greetings fellow hue-mens It is I your Kapp-tan Al Lein,
The first one of you who brings me the brain stem of the an enemy leader shall receive 4 time units in the breeding pod with the female known as Rex Manstrong

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Well this looks like an awful lot of fun!

Sign me up as Thomas "BwenGun" Cochrane, preferably a Brit with a penchant for Naval genius and daring do!

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
BY THE EMPEROR, WHEN WILL I FINALLY BE PROMOTED?

GUNS AND SHIELDS SHALL BRING THE WRATH OF MANKIND UPON THE ALIEN.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
This looks like a pretty cool idea for a game. On the other hand, we've seen a couple of pretty big bugs that dissuade me from picking it up. I'll be keeping a close eye.

...Especially to see if more chumps get offed. Can I request a Groundsider with decent Engineering skill to be renamed Cale Thomas? Any nickname and nationality will do.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Shield and Armor, our current weapons will hold for now, so let's try and get our ships a bit sturdier.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The greatest victory is the battle not fought. Research Anomalous Materials.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ARMOR BUT gently caress SHIELDS

We need to be beefy as possible, max weapons are nice for defensive battles where you fire the first shot, but armor will be important for the first offensive battle we fight.

SECONDLY

I VOTE WE SCRAP ALL CORVETTES AND FIGHTERS They are a meat grinder wasting our leadership.

THIRDLY

I request I not be given a command at this time!

FOURTHLY

Mind if I design some ships with our given technology?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

More armor and shields

Building anything is a long and expensive process, if we spend all our time and production replacing our losses we will only fall further behind the enemy.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Nice looking game, I love the concept. Are the tactical battles as awkward and annoying to play as they look though?

I'd like to report for any available command.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Signup: Ken "Rawhide" Kobayashi (Japanese) seeks to give the aliens a lesson in good ol' fashioned American justice and derring-do.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

McFetusBurger posted:

Nice looking game, I love the concept. Are the tactical battles as awkward and annoying to play as they look though?

I'd like to report for any available command.

Big battles are misery, but Auto does an alright job when they get that big. With an exception.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Neruz posted:

What the poo poo have those aliens been doing on the moon, this 'Tesseractite' makes no goddamn sense. No bloody way this stuff formed naturally but why the hell was it hidden on the moon?

The moon was formed when an unknown mass hit the molten earth and calved off a chunk. Perhaps we've finally found that ancient cosmic seed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To start with it wasn't an 'unknown mass' it was another protoplanet and if the protoplanet was made out of Tesseractite then we'd have found some of it down here too, to end with if that were the case then we would have found the Tesseractite in the Moon's core or scattered throughout its structure.

Instead we found it in a vault. I've seen the pictures of the vault too and that is not a natural formation. Someone carved that and put the drat stuff in there on purpose.

That's why I reckon we just raided one of the aliens forward supply dumps: I don't think they expected us to be space capable when they initiated this invasion and a supply cache of rare manufactured materials on the Moon would logically be perfectly safe and an excellent staging point for surface operations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why, if we know that there is life other than us out there, is it so implausible to believe there might be life even further removed from them that has since died out or gone?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Neruz posted:

That's why I reckon we just raided one of the aliens forward supply dumps: I don't think they expected us to be space capable when they initiated this invasion and a supply cache of rare manufactured materials on the Moon would logically be perfectly safe and an excellent staging point for surface operations.

"Gleebzorb, we have reconned the alien planet, and can confirm the humans are both squishy, and delicious. I recommend we build a base on the moon for further study."

"Better plan, Klinktek, let's just build a big vault, stick some metal in it, seal it up, and then leave."

"Uhh... just metal? You don't want to, maybe, put some actual weapons in there? Ships? Guards?"

"No, just the metal. Chop chop, we need to be back on Pluto in two weeks."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well considering we don't actually know what this Tesseractite stuff is good for yet (apart from disco balls, though if you stare at the patterns for too long things start getting wierd...) it's probably a bit early to call it. But its definitely gotta be some kind of manufactured substance and it could well be some form of fuel source in which case a fuel dump on the moon would make plenty of sense.

I mean, you still gotta cart all this mass through space and even with the alien's grav drive it still costs fuel to do so. If they have decent automated manufacturing capabilities it would actually be more efficient to ship raw materials around and manufacture things on-site where possible. Given that the Tesseractite violates a couple of what we thought were pretty ironclad physical laws I expect it requires substantially more energy and some very advanced tools to produce, tools probably too advanced to just cart around wherever you feel like.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 28, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Oh, by the way - I, Paolo Cavaliere, hero of Italy, would like to sign up for war amongst the stars! Preferably a position that allows...lucrative opportunities with the exciting new technologies being spread!

(If there's any kind of corruption trait, get me on that poo poo ASAP. Otherwise, though, simply being Italian is fine!)

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

8 votes for Weapons

13 votes for Armor/Shields

1 vote for Anomalous Materials, 1 for Armor but gently caress Shields (which are practically opposite votes for different kinds of defense).

- - - - -

Since I do recruitment stuff prior to running an update, I figure I'll also dole out promotions then. There are quite a few, so I'll only be noting interesting ones - promotions to captain or above, really.

With that in mind Matsumoto Gato has earned a promotion to Vice Admiral, making him the second-best admiral in the entire fleet behind Zapp Brannigan. Imagine that. Second best to Zapp Brannigan. What a place to be. Delta Green is now a Lieutenant Commander. Only two steps away from Captain. (Putting that one in 'cause he asked)

Furthermore, I really missed out on a few recruitment posts. My apologies.

Ratoslov posted:

Take your worst Russian and name him Ratoslov 'Deathwish' Ratoslovich I. Then stick a bottle of vodka in his hand and put him on the ship most likely to die. We shall choke the guns of our enemies with the bodies of our dead! :ussr:

I took a bad Russian and promoted him twice to make him even worse. You're welcome.

reignonyourparade posted:

Can I get the worst available Brazilian of ship-captaining rank as Reinaldo "BR?" Paredes?

Unfortunately, I have no Brazilians of ship-captaining rank. Fortunately, I can make one - promoting people before their time tanks their Leaderships score, so by asking for the worst captain available I can simply take an average Ensign and immediately promote him to Captain days out of the Academy. He now has a Leadership of zero. He is only slightly better than having no captain at all.

Bruceski posted:

Sign me up as Bruce Skiovsky from Russia or eastern Europe somewhere. I'd rather be on a support ship than on the suicide boarding ships. Let the hot-blooded take the lead, they'll either die or their blood will cool down and collect some wisdom to go with it.

Supersonic Shine posted:

My name is Lucio "Sonic" Boone, and I say take full control of the moon. Can't have X-rays snooping around our backyard.

Rockopolis posted:

Maximum Colonialism!

Sign me up as someone with the last name Kerman.

BwenGun posted:

Well this looks like an awful lot of fun!

Sign me up as Thomas "BwenGun" Cochrane, preferably a Brit with a penchant for Naval genius and daring do!

Grizzwold posted:

Volunteering as "Grizz" Ursus, a very angry cyborg bear. Hopefully I can make major before dying gloriously.

What? We've already got zombies and a squid guy.

Mon dieu! I have awoken as a cyborg bear! This will wreak havoc on the menage a trois I am planning!

Prav posted:

Signup: Ken "Rawhide" Kobayashi (Japanese) seeks to give the aliens a lesson in good ol' fashioned American justice and derring-do.

Mightypeon posted:

Can I get signed up as a Russian "Wasily "Red Star" Zhukovovsky".
Preferably in a position to :commissar: the xenos

Tomn posted:

Oh, by the way - I, Paolo Cavaliere, hero of Italy, would like to sign up for war amongst the stars! Preferably a position that allows...lucrative opportunities with the exciting new technologies being spread!

(If there's any kind of corruption trait, get me on that poo poo ASAP. Otherwise, though, simply being Italian is fine!)

There are only non-Italian corrupt people. As always, Italy remains the centre of model government compared to the seethingly corrupt and inefficient Germans. Would you prefer a corruption trait, or Italian nationality?

Lastly, Pladdicus, if you'd like I can just upload the savefile somewhere (my current one is only around 500 kB) and you can design ships using it and just post screenshots of your designs. Also, I'm pretty sure the aliens will focus their attacks on the Moon (which only has a Defensive Battery), and our fighters/corvettes don't cost any upkeep. More importantly, they grant people experience just by existing.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

whoops, didn't notice anomalous materials. Oh well. I don't think my vote would've swung it anyhow.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is Major even a rank? What are the ranks, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

occipitallobe posted:

There are only non-Italian corrupt people. As always, Italy remains the centre of model government compared to the seethingly corrupt and inefficient Germans. Would you prefer a corruption trait, or Italian nationality?

So I had to change my passport a few times to escape the long arm of the incorruptible Italian law, what of it? I, Paolo Cavaliere, care not so long as I can make a fortune!

• Locked thread