Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Solar War is a nifty little game that's been around for quite awhile now. The earliest build was released in 2012, and it's been consistently improved ever since then. It follows a fairly similar script to the X-COM games - you're under attack by an alien menace, and you need to fend them off. Except unlike X-COM, which is a squad-based game set on the ground, Solar War is set in space. Instead of building bases, you construct outposts and colonies on the various planets and moons in the solar system, each of which yields its own resources.

The game itself has a political model, but it's nowhere near as difficult to manage as any of the X-COM games. It's much deeper at the start but becomes fairly shallow to manage quickly. Overall, the game feels like a worse version of Enemy Unknown set in space. That's not to say that this is a bad game, though. It's a fun, complex game with a very deep design when it comes to constructing and building fleets and ships. Not nearly as deep as, say, Aurora, but still interesting.

It's also very, very ugly and hard to parse. Still, it's the most interesting take on X-COM I've seen that isn't simply a clone or an update of sorts. It has nameable characters as well, who can die in (or be rescued after) combat, and who level up through commanding fleets, ships, and surviving in battle. They can then be promoted, so your ensigns early in the war are liable to be admirals at the end of it.

The tactical combat is much worse than X-COM, but the strategy map is better. You're rarely just sending in your A and B-teams to accomplish whatever needs to be done - you'll be constantly shifting fleets around to defend and assault multiple objectives, occasionally trying scorched-earth tactics on enemy planets to buy time to build up fortifications on your own worlds. You'll never, ever have enough resources to do everything, and almost invariably your early strategies will be wrong and bad.

The ship design is intense and involves tonnage, power, speed, and heat dissipation. It can almost certainly be done a lot better than I do it.

The game itself can be bought on Desura.

If you'll looking for something to scratch that X-COM itch and you just haven't gotten enough of losing an entire critical fleet with your best commanders in a mission that turned out to be completely futile from the very planning phase onwards then this is the game for you. Therapy is probably also for you.

This will be a goon-run LP. If people get involved enough that might mean designing ships and planning strategies for battle. If not, it'll mean I'll take votes on policy directions and missions. I fully expect to lose multiple times - when that happens we can either reload or start again.

Index:
List of Goon Fleet Commanders
Introduction, Tutorial, and Choices
The Solar Map & Officers
Game Concepts and Ship Design
Research, Construction, and Fleets
Infodump 1: Present Technology Levels
Budget Allocations for the 2016-2017 fiscal year
Preliminary Budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year
Colonial Infrastructure
Progress Report (2016-2017) and Budget Allocations for the 2017-2018 fiscal year
Preliminary Budget for the 2017-2018 fiscal year

Update Index:
Battle of First Light and Establishment of the Council
March 1 to March 15, 2016
March 16 to April 5, 2016
April 6 to May 9, 2016
May 10 to June 15, 2016
June 15 to July 7, 2016
July 8 to August 28, 2016
August 29 to November 2, 2016
November 3 to February 28, 2016-17
March 1 to April 14, 2017
April 15 to September 30, 2017
September 30, 2017 to April 18, 2018

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Index of Goon Commanders:
Vice Admiral Nathaniel 'Kif' Covski
Rear Admiral Senrath Menru
Rear Admiral Gato Matsumoto
Rear Admiral Ly Neth
Commodore Jimmy Bernard
Commodore Gladys Gunn
Commodore Sam "Troublemaker" Starfall
Commodore Alexander Tereshkova
Commodore Commander Rex Manstrong
Captain Jayme Dawson
Captain Mace Snap
Captain Justy 'De-Peng' Tylor
Captain Lego "Jumbo Jet" Man
Captain Pol "Ice" Aron
Captain Turd "Toiletlord" Ferguson
Captain Reinaldo "BR?" Paredes
Captain Kermit "Green Man" Kerman
Captain Mordukai "Marquis" de Sade
Commander "Mega"
Commander Pladdicus Jones
Commander Yuri Gagarin
Commander Sinixa Daenelas
Commander Arnold J Rimmer
Commander Al Lein
Commander Rex "Kistch" Power-Colt
Commander Juan "Coffee" Hitler
Commander Ratoslov 'Deathwish' Ratoslovich I
Commander Polar "Grizz" Ursus
Commander Richard "Not The Face!" Lionhat
Lt. Commander Seppo Saapasmaa
Lt. Commander Max Kreigflegel
Lt. Commander Friar John
Lt. Commander Fidelio Truffleborough III, Esq
Lt. Commander Andrew Cheese
Lt. Commander Station Wong
Lt. Commander John "Snugglecakes" Johnson
Lt. Commander Sol "Shafted" Skaft
Lt. Commander M "Vega" Bison
Lt. Commander Lucio "Sonic" Boone,
Lieutenant Delta "MACHINE ABOMINATION" Green II
Lieutenant Harold "Cashmoney" Green
Lieutenant Clint "Noife" Spidercroc
Lieutenant Nick "Havoc" Parker
Lieutenant Thomas "BwenGun" Cochrane
Lieutenant Ken "Rawhide" Kobayashi
Lieutenant Af "Moon Spirit" Eee
Sub-Lieutenant Flex "Freedom" Plexico
Sub-Lieutenant Tele "Home and Native Land" Dahn
Sub-Lieutenant Wesley "Mary" Crusher
Sub-Liuetenant Teri "Faaaark" Ferin
Sub-Lieutenant Arc "Tango" Uras
Sub-Lieutenant Bruce "Sheila" Skiovsky
Sub-Lieutenant Wasily "Red Star" Zhukovovsky
Sub-Lieutenan Frye "Belgian" French
Ensign Will "Chook" Maxwell
Ensign Thor "gently caress Loki" Thorrson
Ensign Cacques "Poutine" Cousteau
Ensign Forever "Bolton Boy" BWFC
Ensign Basil "Manuel" Fawlty
Ensign Skala "Perun" Akimova

Deceased:
Lieutenant Commander Delta Green: Died due to reactor failure on Earth's first spaceborne frigate, "The Man Frigate". Was revived as a necromantic machine abomination sometime later by the Nega-Pope. Demoted to Lieutenant for giving the impression of religious favouritism within the Fleet.

Lt. Commander Central "Rookie" Bradford: Died due to reactor failure on the frigate "Freefall" along with Lieutenant Kat and Ensign Eee. Tried to save his crewmates but spent precious minutes trying to find the Captain who was in fact in one of the missile tubes.

Lieutenant Kit "Kats" Kat: "Have a break." Lieutenant Kat whispered as she felt the explosion overwhelm her. A single chocolatey tear oozed its way down her face as she stared into the face of death.

Ensign Af "Affinity" Eee: Died to save his comrades by throwing his body on the explosion. Moments later he realised it was a fusion reactor exploding.

Note: If asking to be an officer, I'll put you in the highest possible ship command slot (if you ask to be Australian, you get to be the highest-ranked open Australian officer slot, for instance). There are several (terrible) admirals who have been gifted to the fleet, but I won't make goons admirals unless they specifically ask to be an admiral (admirals can't command ships, only fleets).

Also, if asking to be an officer, bold your request please. It makes it way easier to see who's trying to sign up.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 6, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Part 1: Introduction, Tutorial, and Choices

Solar War. It has a fairly basic introductory screen. You can run a new campaign, or a scenario. The only scenario right now starts you off after the capture of the inner planets and sets you up against heavily fortified alien bases on Jupiter and Saturn. It's not really any more interesting than the campaign. Options only include various gameplay options (speed of missiles and ships) and graphics ones - resolution and so on. The Solarpedia contains most of the information you'll want, but also fails to include quite a bit you'll want even more.

For now, let's select New Game.

So here we are. Select a name and a difficulty - I'm seriously considering Beginner for a game with goon participation. This game is hard. I haven't beaten it on the higher difficulty settings yet, because it can be punishing when you fail. The AI is playing the same game as you with a tech tree and industrial development, and once they get ahead it can be hard to catch up. Enabling planetary movement is important - you can't warp through the sun, so the strategic map changes as the year passes. Sometimes an alien fleet simply can't hit you until you've had time to prepare due to the position the planets are in. Sometimes of course the converse is true - I failed an assault on Europa once because of the filthy sun allowing the aliens to dig in.

Here's the start of the game. No, there's no real graphics. Just text and (after this) the combat and system maps. No pictures of anything but ships.

As far as I'm aware the people talking to you at the start of the game have their names drawn from your randomly-prepared officer pool.

This is the screen you'll see before every battle. Your fleet composition, their fleet composition, and your options. Note that we can't flee. We have no warp-capable ships because we have no warp technology. In-story, we've kept these ships hidden to fight the aliens as soon as they arrive, so they basically just got into space.

Here's the battle screen. It's hard to differentiate ships beyond their basic sizes. This can be very frustrating when you have a whole bunch of missile ships, beam ships, and countermissile ships. Organizing ships is hard and it's lost me battles multiple times when I've started clicking through bunches of ships and accidentally sent my vulnerable missile sloops into the face of the enemy. I'd say the lack of differentiation between your ships is probably the game's biggest flaw.

Anyway, here's what we get when we click on a ship. The red lines around it are its movement range, which you can move to by right-clicking. You also fire on enemy ships by right-clicking and can do both in the same turn. The yellow bar above a ship are its armor points, the red bar below are its structure points. Once structure starts taking a pounding you start losing all sorts of capability. Right now our ships run off fusion reactors so one good hit in the structure is often enough to cause a catastrophic reaction, killing everyone on board.

After repeated tries, I capture a laser beam in motion. Compelling.

Seriously, all combat looks like this. The ship selected has a missile coming out and a laser beam travelling towards the enemy. I tried to capture a hit, but failed. When a weapon hits a little number goes up above the enemy and one (or both) of the bars go down.

More combat. Human ships have terrible aim and even worse durability so our only real strategy right now is to rush the enemy. The alien ships can snipe us from afar pretty easily. The only reason we can win these battles are our missiles, which keep flying even after our ships go down.

This is the scene that shows after you win a battle. Units lost, and casualties on both sides. If I scroll down a little further there's a "Rescued" list, but don't worry. Nobody was rescued in this battle.

The next thing I want to bring attention to is the menu on the side. You get a 'scan budget' each battle that you can expend by scanning enemy (or your own) ships. It doesn't cost anything to scan your ships, but it's the only way to find out who's on what ship. Scanners tell you everything about enemy ships. They basically give you a look at the design page of the enemy ships, which can be really useful.

"Retreat" is only available to warp-capable ships. Once you're in a battle any non-warp ships are committed for good. If you win, that's good. If not, they all die. "Autoresolve" is a bad idea unless there's one enemy ship and you just want to fire everything you have at them. Or you have really overwhelming force. The AI isn't smart and will doom the human race.

Fine. I guess we'll help save the majority of the world's population. Gosh.

The battle in the south is basically a carbon copy of the one in the north. I can show it (maybe through video?) if someone has a burning desire to see it, but it's really very boring.

I send in my laser fighters and corvettes against the little ships and fire all missiles against the big one. This is a strategy that will serve us well for ~50% of the game. We get a few lucky shots and they miss more than they should.

Look at the symbol next to "Light Cruiser" for a second. That symbol (II is displayed (with the number of ships next to it, so IIx4) above a planet with light cruisers orbiting it. That will let you know what sort of force compositions various worlds have.

So yeah. We were basically the head of a conspiracy designed to defend humanity against the encroaching alien threat. We did so successfully, for now. However, having succeeded, it's time to see what direction the world is going to take in order to defend our glorious new future against the Sectoids and Ethereals! Or, you know, whoever is attacking us.

Here's our industry model. Right now we only have the resources of the conspiracy, but soon we'll be able to put forward a coalition of Earth's finest to fight to reclaim what is ours! Essentially there's three major areas we can redirect resources into. Research, which makes us know more stuff. Production, which lets us make more stuff. And recruitment, which gives us better crews and more named fleet officers. To the right there's a list of all the nations on Earth we can interact with.

By clicking on the name of a nation and clicking "Diplomatic Action" we get here. This is the first and probably the most important decision we're going to make in the game.

We can decide on one of three funding models.

Firstly, there's Unilateral Control. Whichever nation we invite to rule the world is basically head of the entire fleet. Dictators of Earth. This will piss other nations off, but we can still invite them to become "Treaty Partners". They mainly provide manpower though. The only limitation here is that only nations on the UN Security Council can take unilateral control. We can't have Bangladesh or Nigeria be world rulers. This has the advantage that the only nation to boss you around will be your Lead Nation. The disadvantage is that you lose out on a lot of industrial potential.

Here's how things would look under Unilateral Control.

After allying with every single nation we'd have a total Industrial Budget of 432. 311 of that would come from the United States. Conversely if we made Great Britain our world leader we'd have a total budget of 230, 50 of which would come from Britain. In short, if we're going Unilateral Control the only real option is the United States. Unilateral Control isn't a bad strategy. It frees us from a lot of oversight (which tends to come in the form of missions that cost you industry if you can't complete them), and means we only have to really be close to one nation.

Under Unilateral Control we get a little under 1/4 of the Lead Nation's GDP as industrial budget (it seems to round weirdly), and 1/20th of any Treaty Member's GDP as industrial budget. So if the United States has 14.658 trillion dollars in GDP, we get 311.

Secondly we have the illustrious Supervisory Council model. In this case seven nations can be Council Members (and get to give missions and instructions and whatnot) and everyone else can become Associated Members. We get 1/8th of each Council Member's GDP as part of our industrial budget, and 1/20th of any Associated Member's GDP as industrial budget.

If we had the seven largest nations become Council Members we'd have a total Industrial Budget of 515. This is by far the most powerful way to start the game.

Lastly we can go Independent. Basically we say we're completely unwilling to submit to any oversight whatsoever. I've never actually played through this route, as it's really frustrating. It's difficult to get allies, we need to butter specific nations up to get them to join, and if we're unlucky we can be crippled from the start. I have almost no doubt that goons will choose this route.

If we go Independent, we get a little under 1/10th of each Ally's GDP as part of our industrial budget. If by some ungodly luck we got every single power into our alliance we'd have a total Industrial Budget of around 415.

So to begin with we have two major choices to make.

Firstly, we need to Name our fleet commander. If people overwhelmingly choose something, I'll go with that. If there's a lot of competition I'll pick the best of the lot.

Secondly, we need to Choose our path. Vote for a sort of government (Unilateral Control, Supervisory Council, or Independent Allies) and what our Lead Nation/Supervisory Council should consist of. I'll be trying to get every single nation into the alliance, there's no reason to do otherwise.

Next time: Information posts!

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 5, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I say that we should be lead by Fleet Commander Zapp Brannigan of the Supervisory Council consisting of the United States, China, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Brazil.

I also submit Senrath Menru as a Goon commander. I am ready to die horrifically in the line of duty :patriot:

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Part 2: Let's look at the Solar Map and Officers!

The Solar Map is pretty simple.

Here's the screen we'll be spending 90% of the game in.

This is the Solar Map zoomed out all the way (I've included the overlay here, too). Let's look at our options. We can Research stuff, Construct things in our colonies (which right now include Earth) use the Faction window (shown in the last post), pause and unpause the game, access the Solarpedia, and the Game Menu.

Let's zoom in a bit further. This is a picture of the solar map. Planets surrounded by a red ring are colonized or held by the enemy. Planets surrounded by a green ring are held by the glorious forces of humanity! So yeah, Earth. Under each planet are a number of symbols. The eye means we can scan what's going on there. We know when ships are outbound from a world we can scan (or holding position there).

The little green cross means our ships are in supply. The little red cross means enemy ships are in supply. If a planet is in supply (or visible), so are its moons. That's why there are no symbols under the Moon. You'll note in the zoomed-out map above every planet is in supply for the aliens. This can change if we take some of their forward bases, and is crucial to ensuring we don't have to defend every planet all the time. There's more to the Solar Map, but nothing we can see or do right now.

Let's look at how Officers work.

Officers are the backbone of your fleet.

Here's a picture of a frigate from one of my games. (it's not a very graphically interesting picture) Ignoring the stats below for now, we can see that there are four officers aboard the ship (corvettes have three, and fighters have one, but we'll very rarely use those). Leadership is the most important stat for anyone we promote to Captain or above. It gives bonuses (or penalties) to your fleet if an Admiral, or your ship if a Captain. Commodore Christopher Reynolds is a really bad commodore, though, so he actually hurts his crew members. Commander Renard gets a two point penalty to his Navigation stat, Commander Sumpter gets a four point penalty to his Tactical stat, and Lieutenant Commander Takahashi gets a twenty point penalty to his Engineering stat. This is because Reynolds is also a really, really bad engineer.

As explained here, every other stat is important. A ship without a Navigator/Engineer/Tactical Officer will be treated as if it has stats of zero for Navigation/Engineering/Tactical. This is a pretty bad thing.

Good Navigators are crucial. FTL capacity is always at a premium (later in the game you develop ships that are essentially FTL transports that move your fleets around), and good Navigators can increase it. Likewise, increased movement speed makes you harder to hit.

Tactical skill is really important for every combat related thing. As a general rule though you want to keep your best tacticians for your best ships, so they're less likely to die and can put out more damage.

Lastly, engineering is basically worthless at this stage in the game. Our ships are so inferior they'll die in one or two shots and they have no real shields or ECM anyway. Later in the game though, good engineers go on your most valuable assets - usually warp-capable ships that the enemy might try to destroy.

There are a lot of traits. I'm still turning up new ones. As a general rule a character's traits determine where we should put them. The only one I'll note right now is Protagonist. If our main Fleet Admiral's ship gets blown up in battle, we get him back provided we win the battle. He's an incredibly talented admiral, but if his fleets gets lost, it's Game Over.

Next: Basic gameplay and ship design!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Wow, this looks like a really neat concept, and I'm surprised I've never heard of it with such a unique premise. I'm assuming it didn't get much publicity on release?

Zapp Brannigan is once again humanity's greatest hope, but for some reason he hasn't inspired much confidence in the world's most powerful countries, who would rather focus on their own space defense programs. He has, however, received the support of, say, Spain, Mexico, Italy, India, Indonesia, Pakistan and Nigeria.

I'll also submit Gato Matsumoto as a goon commander.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Part 3: Game Concepts & Ship Design

Alright, so there are a few basic game concepts to go over. A lot of game concepts, actually, but you'll need at least a few to begin to understand how this all works.

Firstly, fleet movement.

There are three separate 'types' of ship.

Firstly, Fighters and Corvettes. These ships have Launch Stacks - which means they're designed to launch into space when the planet they're on is attacked. They're planetary defense only, and they become obsolete pretty quickly. Early on though they're very good value for money - when any one alien hit can take down a ship, the key is to have lots of ships.

Secondly, Frigates and Destroyers. These ships can travel from planet to moon (or moon to moon in multiple-moon planets), and can be warped from place to place. They have no warp drives, so they're very combat-efficient early on. Our warp-capable ships will tend to drop these off, and leave if things get too hot.

Warp-capable ships are weird. Light Cruisers are not really combat-capable. Of their 20,000 tons, 15,000 are taken up by the warp engine and armor. They can barely manage decent engines and power, let alone a gun. They're basically transport ships. Each ship further up the chain (Heavy Cruisers, Battlecruiser, Battleship) can carry less ships with them but have smaller engines relative to their size.

The various kinds of weapons. Right now we have four kinds. Lasers, plasma blasters, missiles and railguns. Lasers hit at range but don't do much damage. Plasma blasters do obscene damage but only hit (and do that damage) up close. Missiles travel a really long way and do a lot of damage. They're going to be our weapon of choice for some time. Railguns are neat - larger enemy ships with less evasion are excellent targets for railguns. We don't have access to any kind of particle beams or boarding shuttles yet, though.

A few important concepts. All non-missile weapons either get weaker or less accurate (or both) at range. Missile weapons are vulnerable to point-defense, though. Flanking can be useful - building really fast little ships with point-blank weapons can be a workable strategy at times.

Here's a look at a ship class. Frigates have a maximum mass of 3000 tons. That means we can't fit modules of more than 3000 tons onto them. Likewise, they can only have nine weapons. Lastly, a frigate needs at least 35.0 MW of power to run. That means we have to be able to produce 35.0 MW of power on our frigates, even if most of that power goes completely unused.

Here's what happens when we create a new design. The menus on the left "Structure", "Armor", and so on show us the various types of components we can put on our ship. You'll note each component has various stats - Mass, Power, and Heat. Mass is the total, well, mass of the component. Our corvette can only mass 200 tons. Power is the total power a component generates or uses. A component that uses power will show it in negative numbers. Our Fusion Thrusters use 1.0 MW of power.

Lastly, Heat. A ship's Heat Rate determines how quickly it overheats in combat. When it overheats it can no longer act. A ship with negative heat rate never has to worry about this. However, better ships will tend to have higher Heat Rates.

We can also put Modifications on our various components. Up the top we can see we have "Structure: 30 HP". We could put Thermal Vents in our Structure which would double our Heat Dissipation but halve our structural HP.

Here's a look at a fully-designed ship that the game starts us out with. It has a different sort of plating, less structure, a Fusion-A reactor, a Missile Launcher containing three nuclear missiles and a Fusion Plasma Blaster. It doesn't use all of its power (missiles don't consume much power or use much heat, instead they take up a lot of mass), and will never overheat. In return though, the missile launcher can only fire three times in a battle and then it needs to return to a friendly planet or moon to rearm.

You'll note some other stats. Sensor Accuracy starts at 100% (and is modified by weapons, ECM, and enemy ship speed, as well as friendly scanners). By putting radar on your ships you can increased their accuracy as well as get Scan Points you can use in battle to examine enemy ships. Evasion is 100% if your ship is fast enough, and any addition Evasion above 100% is expressed as ECM (I'm not sure why).

That's more-or-less everything for basic ship design!

Next up The tech tree and construction

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I support Zapp Brannigan with a Supervisory Council.
Council members should be Spain, China, Germany, India, Russia, UK, Bangladesh.

I'd also like to be a commander as Ly N. Neth.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Part 4: Research, Construction, and Basic Fleet Stuff

First things first, here's the research tree. When we want to research something we click on it and hit "Research" down the bottom-right corner. If we ever change our focus we lose all our progress. Most research either unlocks items (infrastructure, ship modules, ships) or new research. Some research can only be obtained by event. We can't mine minerals from Earth until we receive an event after the Battle of First Light, for instance.

Here's the basic queue. It shows all of our colonies, and what they're building, and how long it'll take to build that thing.

Here's the queue itself. I'm not sure how many items we can queue up - the game is dynamic enough that we're rarely going to just have a set build order we never deviate from. Normally I might queue up two or three infrastructure items, but tend to build ships as I need them.

Here's a picture from a game where I've colonized another world. It shows the infrastructure I can build, and that building some things (ships, for instance) is impossible without a proper orbital shipyard. Anything you can't build two of is greyed out after you queue it up. The construction and research interface is pretty boring. That's ok though, because the real meat of the game is the strategy and ship design.

Lastly, here's our view of a fleet. We've selected the 1st Defense Squadron, so it's highlighted in yellow down below. We can transfer ships from any squadron to any other just by clicking and dragging, provided they're in the same place (can't transfer ships from the Moon to Earth without travelling there first. We can rename our ships, and I will be doing so in order to know who is aboard which ship in combat (otherwise you need to scan your own ships, which is a tiresome process). For any ship without goon commanders (and there will be quite a few, you never have enough naval personnel), we can think up neat names if anyone's so inclined.

The 'rename' button up there is for the fleet, by the way, not the Fleet Admiral.

He has several stats.

The first is Fleet Command at 5/45. That means Otto Zander can command 45 of the largest vessels we have (corvettes). This number goes down as ships get bigger, and up as our admirals get more experience. The 5 means he's commanding 5 ships. Warp Capacity is the total tonnage this fleet can warp. We're not warp-capable, so it's zero. Lastly, our fleet is supplied for 30d. Most small ships are. If a ship runs out of supplies we need to rescue it (expensively). In general though, this should never become a problem unless an attack force gets forced to retreat and is cut off by the loss of an outpost.

Lastly, we can change the AI of the fleet. This could be convenient later in the game when we just want attack ships to go harass the enemy and screens to use their point-defense to keep our capital ships alive. However, it's not yet been implemented into the game. Hopefully sometime in this LP it'll be patched in, though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This game seems super complicated. I'll be following along with interest.

I say we form a council, and invite the biggest country (in terms of GDP) from each continent to our council. For the 7th slot, use the biggest country that we don't already have in the council.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

senrath posted:

I say that we should be lead by Fleet Commander Zapp Brannigan of the Supervisory Council consisting of the United States, China, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Brazil.

I vote this as well

For gooncaptain I submit Jimmy Bernard for the fight!

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

senrath posted:

This sounds like a good plan.

Also submitting Gladys Gunn as a gooncommander.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

senrath posted:

This seems good. I also submit Alexander Tereshkova to die horribly in the vacuum of space.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Send Zapp Brannigan to fight the alien menace along with his advisory council of the United States, China, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Brazil!

E: Submitting Commander Rex Manstrong (Commander is his first name) the Third as a gooncommander, also.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 6, 2014

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Richard Nixon should lead the United States Space Command to Unilateral Control of the Solar System.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'd like to submit Jayme Dawson as a goon captain.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I feel like Andrew Wiggin is exceedingly appropriate.

Preid
May 22, 2014
I agree that Zapp Brannigan is our only hope, even if he is the only person who would actually accept such a position. As for the Supervisory Council, I feel that we should go with United States, China, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and India. This would leave out the wealthier nation of Brazil in favor of the higher population represented in India.

I also volunteer Mace Snap to go where no man has gone before, and die horribly.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Infodump 1: Present Technology Levels

The most interesting part of this game is the ship design. As such, it's the part I've chosen to go over in the most depth. Designing our ships and thinking through our ship composition is by far the most important part of the game. Being good at ship design trumps being good at combat - in this sense it's the total opposite of X-COM, in which your tactical prowess can make up for inferior equipment or soldiers. Generally speaking battles are slogs - you'll tend to have one or two sorts of damage-dealing ships, a number of screens with point-defense to stop enemy missiles incoming, and occasionally what are essentially suicide ships that are built hellishly tough and dive straight towards the enemy in order to draw fire away from the more expensive and fragile parts of the fleet.

Knowing what your enemy has and designing to compensate is the difference between victory and defeat. I'm bad at the tactical combat, but with a reasonable fleet composition I can stomp enemy ships into the ground with minimal losses. When I build a fleet wrongly for what the enemy has, however, it's not unusual to lose half of those ships due to a single strategic error. If I build a fleet wrongly to attack a fortified world - well, those are the moments that can ruin an entire campaign.

Going back to the ship design page, we can see there are three images down the bottom. The hammer icon is 'Production Cost". This is linked to our Industrial Power. If our Industrial Power is 500, we can spend 500 hammers a day. So if we dedicated our entire industrial potential to producing Missile Corvettes, we could realistically churn out two a day.

The other two symbols are resources. Titanium and Uranium. We actually can see our stockpiles of those on the Solar Map, just above the "Research" button. Each planet we own gives us certain sorts of resources, and we need those to build certain sorts of ships. We can for instance research antimatter technology long before we can get hold of a reliable source of antimatter - making building antimatter powered ships a risky bet at the time. There are other resources we'll eventually discover. Right now, though, we only have access to Titanium and Uranium. Titanium is used for a lot of different things (we need it to make our fusion drives, for instance) but we only use Uranium in our nuclear missiles.

If we run out, we can't build the ship in question.

Anyway, here's a list of all the ship components we currently have access to, their stats, and how much they cost:

Structure is crucial on every ship, no matter what it is. It costs 0.2 Hammers per ton, and gives one HP per ton. We can add thermal vents to Structure which makes it add 0.5 HP per ton, but also doubles the ship's basic heat venting rate.

Steel Plating is the cheapest form of armor plating we can buy. It costs 0.3 Hammers per ton, and gives 2 HP per ton. It has the property "1mm equiv resistance" per ton we put on. This reduces damage we take from various sources. We can't modify it in any way.

Titanium Plating is the second-cheapest form of armor plating. It costs 0.6 Hammers per ton, and gives 2 HP per ton. It has the property "1.5mm equiv resistance" per ton we put on. While it doesn't increase our HP directly, it does reduce the damage we take more than Steel Plating. It also uses 0.9 tons of titanium per ton. Weird.

Multilayer Plating is the toughest form of armor plating we get in the beginning. It costs 1 Hammer per ton and gives 2 HP per ton. It has the property "1.9mm equiv resistance" per ton we put on. It makes us take the least damage of any form of armor we have right now. It does however cost 0.6 tons of titanium and 0.4 tons of uranium per ton we put on.

Chemical Thrusters are basically our way of admitting that we're terrible at everything. Unfortunately the speed a ton of engine gives is something like power/mass of ship so I don't know the actual 'thrust' number they put out. They do however give a little over one quarter the thrust of Fusion Thrusters. They cost 0.3 Hammers per ton, and have no resource cost.

Their only saving grace is that they consume 0.1MW of power per forty tons of engine. They generate 0.2 MMBTU/h - the heat figure in the upper-right of the ship design page.

Fusion Thrusters are more worthwhile. They cost 0.9 Hammers per ton, and have no resource cost. The give roughly four times the thrust of Chemical Thrusters. They consume 0.1MW of power per four tons of engine. They generate 0.1 MMBTU/h.

The Fusion-A engine is pretty decent. It costs 86 Hammers and 13 tons of Titanium.

It generates 2.5MW of power, takes up 50 tons of space, and generates 30.0 MMBTU. It also has a unique property - ship destruction on module failure. Our fusion drives are pretty much barely-controlled explosions at this point, so if they get disrupted the whole ship goes up in a fireball.

The Fuel Cell Power Unit is useful only for fighters. They cost 14 Hammersand 3 tons of Uranium.

Now we get to the weapons.

The Fusion Plasma Blaster is a great short-range weapon. It also only costs 2.5 Hammers.

The Chemical Laser is a good all-rounder weapon, but does very little damage. It costs 0.4 Hammers.

The Missile Launcher is kind of a weird weapon. The unit itself only costs 25 hammers and 8 tons of Titanium. However, each nuclear warhead we put in it costs us 25 hammers, 2 titanium and 0.25 uranium. They also weigh ten tons apiece. We can switch out our nukes for Conventional Warheads which are exactly the same except they don't cost any uranium and do far less damage. We should never do this.

The Light Missile Launcher is basically the missile launcher for fighters. It costs 25 hammers and 2 tons of Titanium.

It has a lower missile speed, which is bad. Missile speed is probably the most important stat for missile launchers. It lets you fire more missiles, sure, and costs less (and the missiles aren't any weaker) but the missiles also aren't any lighter. These are only really worth using on suicide ships that will die and consequently you don't want to spend a lot of money on.

The 30mm autocannon is our mass driver. Useless against small ships, somewhat useful against bigger, slower ones. It costs 0.1 Hammer.

External Radiator Panels are auto-fitted to every ship we have. We can't put more on or take them off. Later in the game we can modify them.

Pulsed ECM Emitters are our only ECM technology at this point. They make ships harder to hit. They're also huge, unwieldly, and chew up more power than one of our fusion plants can provide right now. They cost 88 Hammers.

Passive Sensors cost 37 Hammers. They're useful to have on some ships to make scanning the enemy possible. On a corvette, they'd give us 175 Scan Points.

Active Sensors cost 45 Hammers. They make ships easier to hit but also make them a lot more accurate. On a corvette they'd give us 500 Scan Points.

- - - - - - - - - -

Lastly, let's have a look at Ship Types.

Details on the fighter and corvette.

Also I have appended a scale for what various ship sizes would be in the hypothetical case that Earth's military became able to field a full space navy. (This is how the ships will look in combat - trying to see fighters versus light cruisers is pretty much impossible).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm assuming that the Titanium Plating taking only 0.9 tons of Titanium per ton of plating is probably due to not using Titanium to bolt the plates onto your ship.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hell, sign me up as (Rank) Mega. This game looks cool, and I don't mind the design at all- in fact, I think the whole spreadsheet look makes it easier to handle any complexities.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Beat me to it, this game is loving awesome! I bought it about a year ago, maybe more. Before end game was in.

Sign me up! Pladdicus Jones

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yuri Gagarin reporting for duty!

I also throw my vote in for Zapp Brannigan leading the Supervisory Council of the United States, China, India, Brazil, Nigeria, Germany, and Japan. Every continent gets represented, and I think it's a good balance between min-maxing our industry and making sure the most populous countries are represented.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Speech given by Fleet Admiral Zapp Brannigan on the eve of the First Battle of Earth

Gentlemen. Ladies. Ladies. Yes, you. We are here today to fight off an alien threat. One unlike anything we have ever seen. Aliens are like women. As my protégés you should all know that the only way to deal with a female adversary is to seduce her. And that's precisely what we're going to do. Seduce them right out of the sky. We've hidden our forces underground, waiting for the aliens to arrive, playing a chess match. Remember, in the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces.

Men, you're lucky men. Soon, you'll all be fighting for your planet. many of you will be dying for your planet. A few of you will be put through a fine mesh screen for your planet. They will be the luckiest of all.

Let's get into space! Engage the enemy! Fire all weapons and set a transmission frequency for my victory yodel.

- - - - - - -

Soon afterwards, the enemy fleets lay broken above the skies of Earth. Zapp Brannigan's brilliant strategy had succeeded, against all odds. In the days to come, Brannigan seems to have suggested the construction of a new world order led by the mighty nation of Nigeria, citing an email he had received from a Nigerian minister. The heads of his various fleet commanders prevailed, however, and the Conspiracy to Save Earth and Get Laid soon became the Democratic Order of Planet Earth.

National leaders preferred to simply call it the Order, however.

The Order itself was run politically by the seven nations on the council - the United States, China, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Brazil. Russia and India were not invited to sit on the Council, a move some found odd. However, in the days following every other power in the world agreed to become an Associated Member of the Order. Russia and India, however, antagonized by the fact that they did not sit on the Order Council reduced the amount they were willing to contribute to the Order considerably.

In space, however, things ran quite differently. Brannigan's brilliance in fleet combat notwithstanding, he was not a canny political operator and often failed to grasp the higher points of logistics. His command over the fleet at First Light had been more a matter of inertia than anything else. While he was one of the finest fleet commanders known to mankind, his officers considered it disastrous to give him real logistical control. No, the fleet built to defend humanity had been their vision, in their eyes Brannigan had merely executed the plan.

So they formed the Logistical Advisory Committee, ostensibly to review plans that Brannigan could then approve or refuse. In reality, the Committee had near-total control over the direction of the Order's fleets, construction, research, and recruitment. Here we list the initial members of the Committee, by order of rank (if equal rank, then by order of seniority).

The Logistical Advisory Committee Members:

Rear Admiral Senrath Menru - a brilliant tactician and politican but a lackluster commander, in command of Earth's Second Defense Squadron, and widely seen to be second-in-command of the Order Navy. Originally hails from China.

Rear Admiral Gato Matsumoto - Ironically a fighter pilot in the Battle of First Light, despite his rank. Originally hails from China. Due to nationalistic concerns Matsumoto was not tapped to command the Third Defense Squadron to allay fears of Chinese hegemony.

Rear Admiral Ly Neth - Commander of Earth's Third Defense Squadron, and a notable principled man with significant experience in the Russian-Korean War of 2015.

Commodore Jimmy Bernard - Provided logistical and radar support during the Battle of First Light. Despite being highly ranked, has not yet actually been into space. This Brazilian commanded a battalion of troops in the Brazilian-Argentinean border conflicts during 2014.

Commodore Gladys Gunn - A fighter pilot who survived the destruction of her ship. This Brazilian was in fact a champion weightlifter before she joined the Order, a fact that allowed her to grasp and hold two pieces of her ship together, making her detectable after the battle.

Captain Alexander Tereshkova - One of the most talented leaders in the entire navy, firing the shot that took down the alien mothership. This Italian cites his extensive soccer practice as part of what made him such a great pilot.

Captain Commander Rex Manstrong - This Australian was widely seen as the most talented fighter pilot in the navy prior to the battle of First Light, and is now seen as second only to Captain Tereshkova.

Captain Jayme Dawson - Hailing from the United States, Dawson was instrumental in negotiating the terms of the Council Treaty with his homeland.

Captain Mace Snap - The Indian Mace Snap is widely known as one of the worst tacticians in the Order.

Commander "Mega" - Widely believed to be the best tactician in the Order, and known only as "Mega", this Australian commander loathes aliens more than anyone else in the entire Order. Rumours have it that he was kidnapped and probed by them, but these have never been substantiated.

Commander Pladdicus Jones - Jones is a talented engineer and one of the good friends of Mega. The two share a tremendous hatred for all aliens.

It is rumoured that dark magics flow in the lands of Indonesia. What seems to be Yuri Gagarin, first man in space appeared there as if raised from the dead and joined the conspiracy in order to defend the Earth he loved so.

- - - - - - - -

Next - decision time for the Council!

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 6, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Budget Allocations for the 2015-2016 Fiscal Year
Classified: LAC Eyes Only

Members of the LAC. With the admittal of the majority of world nations to the Order, we have an operating budget of 5.15 trillion dollars every year. The immense goodwill we have built up by saving Earth has made most nations pay a tremendous amount of money into the coffers of the Order. At present keeping our current manpower and ships supplied and in good repair is liable to only cost us 10 billion dollars this year, assuming no further combat. Our total upkeep costs for our ships are zero - various nations are more than willing to pay to repair and work on the ships we are hosting to defend the planet Earth.

With the permission of the Committee I will undertake to adjust the budgetary measures whenever necessary to procure replacement parts and fleet supplies if our needs should increase.

Production: At present we can purchase and use major factories, as well as procure any necessary parts from private corporations. We will at this point allocate any monies to purchasing Order-owned factories which can then produce all the parts we need to construct warships. I suggest a considerable amount of money be put into production in order to produce a fleet sufficient to defend Earth from any future incursion.

Research: We lack the ability to travel between the world as the aliens do. Their ships travel at a considerable portion of lightspeed if our sensors are to be believed, and are consequently can move between worlds in times we cannot match. In order to be able to defend ourselves properly and secure the Solar System from incursion we will need to research technology allowing us to at the least match their speeds.

Recruitment and Training: Establishing academies capable of training people to fight in space will not be easy. We can of course simply borrow engineers and navigators from various other military branches, which will cost us a nominal amount, but this will cost our space forces dearly. However at present our fighters and corvettes do not require more than a few officers as crew. Establishing a large pool of trained crewmembers is valuable, but should probably not be prioritized over the defense of the Earth.

If the Committee would care to propose budgetary measures I can undertake to give projections as to how many ships we can produce and how much research we can do.

- - - - - - -

So yeah. Propose a budget. You can be precise (200 industry to production, 200 to research, 115 to recruitment) or you can be imprecise (more research, less training, medium production) and I'll take care of the details. We'll have a new budget yearly (or bi-yearly, or whatever) and I'll throw up emergency budget (and strategy) sessions if something happens - important new research options open, a fleet is destroyed, and so on.

- - - - - - -

Secondly, we need to decide on our research priorities. At present we have eight research options. The speed given is the speed it would take with 100 industry points dedicated to research. Again, you can be precise (research alien physiology and then EMP missiles) or imprecise (prioritize hull development first thing) and I'll take care of the details.

EMP warheads do less damage but skip armor. Most alien ships however worth targeting with missiles have shields. I tend to find these lackluster.

More sophisticated computers will allow us to create proper settlements on other planets and moons if an outpost already exists there. We do not, however, possess the technology to construct outposts on alien worlds as of yet.

Fleet reorganization is probably necessary to ensure our new unified fleet has proper doctrines and a unified chain of command. We'll certainly get some benefit out of doing this.

If we recover alien corpses in orbit around Earth we could learn more about their physiology.

Alien ship analysis will be crucial in the days ahead to understand how the peculiar alien technology works and how we might be able to replicate it.

Researching larger ships that can remain in supply for days if not weeks even after combat is crucial if we are to build self-sustaining outposts and colonies on new worlds, as well as a proper fleet.

Shielded exhaust ports are essentially improved versions of thermal venting. A little less heat vented but less structural integrity lost. Reinforced radiator panels will radiate a lot less heat but are harder to destroy.

Auxiliary thrusters would allow us to make vastly superior missiles, but would take a long time.

- - - - -

Lastly, the Order Council has mandated that in order to properly use up Earth's nuclear missile stockpiles we should build nuclear-armed corvettes early on. When we run down the stockpile it may become more cost-effective to build other ships, but until then we will focus our efforts on the construction of missile ships.

(They're the most effective early ship, and fleet composition doesn't really start to matter until we build ships capable of leaving the Earth.)

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 6, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Split the budget 40% Production, 50% Research, 10% Recruitment and begin to Reorganize the Fleet.

Preid
May 22, 2014
It's not surprising that you fail to notice the true tactical genius that is Mace Snap, he is able to flee navigate away from hostile forces better than anyone else!

Anyways, I'm sure that this was all just a misunderstanding. Surely these aliens will be content with Mars after that trashing we gave them, they are probably already penning their surrender. The best option at the moment would be to use the technology that we've captured to rush the colonization of the other planet in search of buried alien treasure.

Highly prioritize research, with Recruitment and Training secondary. Focus on alien ship analysis/closed environmental systems for research since that seems like a good tree to climb at the moment.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I, too, have heard many tales of the infamous Indonesian necromancers. :allears:

70% Research, 15% Production and 15% Recruitment. Only the light of science can bring us victory, comrades!

Alien ship analysis first, and then Shielded exhaust ports, because I have a bad feeling about unshielded 2 meter exhaust ports.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

R&D > Production > Recruitment
Lets get some infrastructure built before we worry too much about specialist manpower to operate it.

Research priority #1 has to be Alien Ship analysis. Then longer ranged vessels. We're not gonna beat the Xenos sitting in Earth Orbit.

I was going to throw together a fighter design using Fusion Plasma Blasters, but I can't see how to get enough power if Fuel Cells are 12 T/0.2 MWs Which makes me sad. And since we can't hit things with LASERS, I'm going to assume that 8T of fusion thrusters, a fuel cell, and 10T of mass drivers still won't be able to hit anything. (reduce to 7T if we need at least 1T of armour/structure to have a ship)

Also, sign up Sinxia Daenelas for command. Preference to high Navigation score, and Navigator role on a starship.
Or, as might be fitting given her history, LOW navigation score and position as a Navigator. (this is what happens when you never write your character's surname. You forget it)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
60% Research, 30% Production, 10% Recruitment - focussing research on Alien Ship Analysis. There could be a wealth of discoveries waiting to be made, and chances are we'll need a complete overhaul of our factories before we can use them. Once we know how their ships travel, we might be able to come up with a way to detect them at range and give us advance warning of their attacks.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

R&D > Production > Recruitment
Lets get some infrastructure built before we worry too much about specialist manpower to operate it.

Keep in mind the only infrastructure we can build in this game is of the orbital variety or extraterrestrial. We can't build anything on Earth - earth nations take care of that. If they like us enough, they give us access to the extra industry they're building. We eventually get access to orbital industry, though, which allows us to build stuff faster or pay less upkeep.

quote:

I was going to throw together a fighter design using Fusion Plasma Blasters, but I can't see how to get enough power if Fuel Cells are 12 T/0.2 MWs Which makes me sad. And since we can't hit things with LASERS, I'm going to assume that 8T of fusion thrusters, a fuel cell, and 10T of mass drivers still won't be able to hit anything. (reduce to 7T if we need at least 1T of armour/structure to have a ship)

Yeah, fighters are almost completely worthless. As a general rule whenever you develop a new ship type (with the exception of Light Cruisers, which are really just transports) it obsoletes an older one. Occasionally you won't have the technology to properly use larger ships, but usually as soon as you develop a new sort of ship the rest of fleet just became obsolete in comparison. The few exceptions are screens (which function better when way out in front) and boarding ships. Ship design doesn't really get interesting until we develop frigates.

Also, the game has been crashing whenever I try and save it and giving me corrupted savefiles. I'm trying a reinstall (it's only a 8 MB download) but I may have to put the next update on hold until I get a handle on why it's doing this. I'm going to have to redo the alliances/fleet names, so I can't give you your character's details just yet.

fakeedit: It seems to be a bug with the 1.01 version that comes with Desura. If you do decide to get the game, you also get a free download from the Solar War site that has the 1.02 version. Run that instead.

- - - - -

Sinixa Daenelas is a Bangladeshi navigator from one of the surviving corvettes in the Battle of First Light. She was tapped to provide feedback on research for ship engines and long-range navigational sensors for the Committee.

- - - - -

Incidentally, whatever your character does they get better at. It can be ideal for a character to spend a long time in grade picking up navigation/tactical/engineering skills so they're more effective as captains and admirals.

However, leadership is the most important skill for a captain or admiral by far. In reality the best strategy is to put all of your best characters onto your best ships (for long-term survival) and leave anyone who isn't destined for command (in this LP: any non-goon character) in their job forever. You'll never ever have enough characters, so you don't really have time to level them up in every single facet of their existence. Are they good at leadership? Immediate command track, no matter what.

Is their leadership terrible? Leave them in grade, unless you're really hurting for captains. Note that a captain is the second most important member of a ship, after literally any other member.

Basically a captain alone does nothing to improve a ship's performance. However, a single crewmember is going to be at less than half performance without a captain. So the ideal way to kit your ships out is Crewmember 1 - Captain - Crewmember 2 - Crewmember 3.

As a general rule once you run out of members to crew your ships (and you will!) you either want a 50/50 split of captains and crew or a 25/75 split in which you take the long-term view and only place your officers on your toughest, hardest to hit ships in order to eventually have super officers. Both are viable strategies. I prefer the latter, because named officers are probably the scarcest and most valuable resources in the entire game.

Note that admirals, unlike captains, don't give negative modifiers for not being around, only positive ones for being there. My best (90 leadership) admiral in one of my savegames only grants around a 5 bonus to leadership across the entire fleet. Sure, it's about fifty vessels, but admirals are basically pointless in small fleets.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 6, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Cpt. Commander Rex Manstrong: As a highly-skilled pilot, I feel I can say: I don't really care what you do, just get us something bigger then fighters and corvettes. Hell, if it comes down to it, you can just build more corvettes, whatever it takes to get me out of a fighter!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

There's one more thing to mention in regard to how fleets run.

Anyone from Commander to Commodore can be the captain of a vessel. Anyone from Commodore to Admiral can command a fleet. Rear Admirals and above cannot command ships. Lieutenant Commanders and below can't either. Captains and above cannot work as crew.

So the ideal ranks for anyone who's not commanding a fleet in-game are Commander and Commodore - Commanders can command any ship that isn't warp-capable (destroyers and below), and work as crew provided that another Commander isn't serving as captain.

Commodores can command any ship, any crew, and also run small fleets.

As a general rule I'll be auto-promoting goons whenever it costs 0 leadership to do so. The only situation in which I won't do this is from Commander to Captain, and from Commodore to Rear Admiral. Becoming a Captain means you can never again be a crewmember, and becoming a Rear Admiral means you can never again captain a ship. If you want to establish some policy on this now, that's fine, otherwise I'll just mention it whenever it comes up during an update.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh man please tell you can shoot off a ships radiators and slowly let the crew roast to death because that would be the best thing. :allears:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

There's one more thing to mention in regard to how fleets run.

Anyone from Commander to Commodore can be the captain of a vessel. Anyone from Commodore to Admiral can command a fleet. Rear Admirals and above cannot command ships. Lieutenant Commanders and below can't either. Captains and above cannot work as crew.

So the ideal ranks for anyone who's not commanding a fleet in-game are Commander and Commodore - Commanders can command any ship that isn't warp-capable (destroyers and below), and work as crew provided that another Commander isn't serving as captain.

Commodores can command any ship, any crew, and also run small fleets.

As a general rule I'll be auto-promoting goons whenever it costs 0 leadership to do so. The only situation in which I won't do this is from Commander to Captain, and from Commodore to Rear Admiral. Becoming a Captain means you can never again be a crewmember, and becoming a Rear Admiral means you can never again captain a ship. If you want to establish some policy on this now, that's fine, otherwise I'll just mention it whenever it comes up during an update.

I claim the best vessel in the fleet for myself, always. Mwahahahahaha!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh man please tell you can shoot off a ships radiators and slowly let the crew roast to death because that would be the best thing. :allears:

Unfortunately not. If you shoot off a ship's radiators though it'll overheat super quick and become completely useless in battle within a round or two at most, though.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

occipitallobe posted:

Wow, so everyone ends up turning down their promotions, just like in Star Trek!

If we have space for another goon commander, I think it's high time we deployed the unique talents of Arnold J Rimmer.

Without him, this war would be much grimmer.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

As your distinctly mediocre Rear Admiral, I suggest we research Fleet Reorganisation followed by Alien Ship Analysis. The future of space warfare is important, yes, but the bureaucracy must expand to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy :colbert:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
This council had the golden opportunity to name itself the Global Defence Initiative. Why wasn't it so?

Also, I find their evaluation of Russia's industrial might lacking.

Officer Delta Green reporting for duty. Preference for West European origin is noted.

Fleet Reorganisation followed by Alien Ship Analysis seems to be the best ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I believe that our burgeoning space navy direly needs the expertise of Seppo Saapasmaa, a Finnish expat who bravely served in his fatherlands mighty fleet of cold war era minesweepers in his youth.

• Locked thread