Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Man, I wish they'd put the new episode on YouTube already. Is there a reason it's only on their site for a while? That player is terrible and I've only gotten to play past the first 10 seconds without suddenly going to low quaulity 1 FPS once. Even if I pause it right away and let it buffer for a while it does the same thing.

I managed to get it to play alright in Firefox, but with Chrome it refused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's on YouTube now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gildiss posted:

I managed to get it to play alright in Firefox, but with Chrome it refused.

In contrast, I had absolutely zero issue with watching the video through Chrome. Just had to pause it and let it buffer for about 15 seconds and it worked just fine.

Sticky Keys Man
Oct 24, 2007
Just my package...
I can't wait to see how TFS handles the Piccolo/17 fight, because that's pretty much one of the greatest fights in the series and I can see the two of them having great chemistry in the Abridged version.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Man, I wish they'd put the new episode on YouTube already. Is there a reason it's only on their site for a while? That player is terrible and I've only gotten to play past the first 10 seconds without suddenly going to low quaulity 1 FPS once. Even if I pause it right away and let it buffer for a while it does the same thing.

Strangely, I can't get it working on my desktop, but I watched the whole thing fine on a tablet. It's about the only video that runs well on my tablet.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does anyone know which release the 1080p HD clips on Youtube come from? They look really good.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Esroc posted:

Does anyone know which release the 1080p HD clips on Youtube come from? They look really good.

I don't know the release, but whatever they're taken from, they're upscaled with post-process filtering. Sometimes it does look really good, but it can also make things look really rounded out and bizarre sometimes. Kai is what a "native" HD capture of the originals looks like, without post-processing tricks.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I just powered through all of DBZ Multiverse is a day. Turtle Sage Krillin is now my headcanon.

Also loving the new DBZA like always!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Turtle Sage Krillin is now my headcanon.

Actually, it's regular canon.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Flytrap posted:

Actually, it's regular canon.

Even better! Also I just realized that the new episode has background music from Borderlands 2. I'm okay with that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Factory Factory posted:

I don't know the release, but whatever they're taken from, they're upscaled with post-process filtering. Sometimes it does look really good, but it can also make things look really rounded out and bizarre sometimes. Kai is what a "native" HD capture of the originals looks like, without post-processing tricks.

Kaiser is a really good editor so it wouldn't surprise me if he's taking the footage off the DVD and making it scale that well.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Cell is equal parts :haw: and :stonk:. That bit where he vomited up the pacifier was probably the darkest moment in DBZA so far, up there with Alternate Timeline Yamcha.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 27, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Vomiting up the pacifier made me think of Zorac from the Brak show and now I can't stop comparing them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about something unrelated: there's this bit in the Freeza saga where Guru's going to send Nail to help out in the fight with the Ginyu Force; the bullshit status of power levels notwithstanding, how much use would he have been? He was established as the strongest fighter on Namek, but how did he measure up to Freeza's various minions?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm also getting a strong SGC2C-era Zorak vibe from Cell. Glad it's not just me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Muffinlord posted:

I'm also getting a strong SGC2C-era Zorak vibe from Cell. Glad it's not just me.
It's definitely not just you :hfive:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Metal Loaf posted:

Question about something unrelated: there's this bit in the Freeza saga where Guru's going to send Nail to help out in the fight with the Ginyu Force; the bullshit status of power levels notwithstanding, how much use would he have been? He was established as the strongest fighter on Namek, but how did he measure up to Freeza's various minions?

I personally think that he'd have been about strong enough to take down someone like Dodoria or Cui. Coming up against Zarbon would have been like crashing into a flamboyant wall.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Testekill posted:

I personally think that he'd have been about strong enough to take down someone like Dodoria or Cui. Coming up against Zarbon would have been like crashing into a flamboyant wall.

Someone earlier in the thread said he had a power level of 42,000 (Freeza reads it or something). So he probably would've held his own against Recoome better than Vegeta did. Ginyu Force power levels were around that I think so he could have taken out at least one or two of them.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Testekill posted:

While powerlevels are bullshit, he was clocked at 42,000 by Freiza, which would have made him stronger than Zarbon. But even with that, I assume he probably could have held his own against the rest of the Ginyu Force for a while, but not be able to beat them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Metal Loaf posted:

Nale was a namekian so he was super good at sensing energy (Guru picks up poo poo from WAAAAAAY off planet) and didn't even seemed phased by post Zarbon-murder Vegeta so he could have probably slapped Goldo around and helped out a good bit in the Recoome fight.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegeta could have been weaker than zarbon and still won. They make a point of how zarbon and dodoria barely do any actual fighting.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nale was a namekian so he was super good at sensing energy (Guru picks up poo poo from WAAAAAAY off planet) and didn't even seemed phased by post Zarbon-murder Vegeta so he could have probably slapped Goldo around and helped out a good bit in the Recoome fight.

Didn't Ginyu have a power level of like over 100,000 or something? Or was I misremembering DBZA?

I don't think Nail could've been able to take down anyone other than maybe Guildo.

Also.

Dragon Ball Wikia posted:

All their special powers originated during their childhood. Guldo realized he had psychic powers as a kid: he was a real brat, using his powers to lift up girls' skirts and steal whatever toys he wanted. Recoome practiced dance, which is how he got his agility and various battle poses. Burter's mother was very strict, making him do all the household chores and slapping him if he was late preparing dinner; because of this, he became the fastest in the universe. Jeice was a pitcher in the Galactic Little League, and it was there that he developed the Crusher Ball as his special technique. When Ginyu first learned of his Body Change ability, he swapped bodies with the richest kid in his class, which made him popular with girls but also stupid, and he soon realized that men should compete in terms of strength rather than money.

A ha ha ha ha ha ha what the gently caress. Dragon Ball is amazing. Toriyama rules.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Didn't Ginyu have a power level of like over 100,000 or something? Or was I misremembering DBZA?

Ginyu's maximum is canonically 120,000.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So... swapping bodies with Goku should have made Ginyu retarded.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is that Ginyu Force background canon? I think it came from one of those quasi-canonical sources like Dragon Ball Online/Heroes, but it sounds so loving stupid. Like I get that Toriyama is trying to retcon humor into DBZ as much as possible but that's like Tenchi Muyo level poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

facebook jihad posted:

Is that Ginyu Force background canon? I think it came from one of those quasi-canonical sources like Dragon Ball Online/Heroes, but it sounds so loving stupid. Like I get that Toriyama is trying to retcon humor into DBZ as much as possible but that's like Tenchi Muyo level poo poo.

Wait you talk about retconning humor in there when talking about the Ginyu force? A literal sentai team parody that dances around and has stupid funny gimmicks, humor was always there and them having fun backstories totally makes sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I for one will not stand for comedy in my punchman anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Are you suggesting that the Ginyu Force, the guys who were a parody of a wacky sentai team who struck poses and acted silly and who they gave a heroic theme song to, are perhaps not the most serious characters?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's also not really that ridiculous since football players are known for learning ballet.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What's funny about swole guys doing dance :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What's funny about swole guys doing dance :colbert:

I should make this my avatar tbh

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So... swapping bodies with Goku should have made Ginyu retarded.

Haha, I guess that explains why he just remained a frog. It always did seem ridiculous why he had to say "Change now" in Earth language to use his move.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

By the way, I wanted to ask you guys: was Ginyu force the first team in history of manga to invent the trope of 'elite villain team' (one short guy, one huge guy, one supertall guy, one guy who works in a pair with another guy and a captain)? I mean, I've seen this trope in many other mangas, even in Berserk, but due to my limited exposure to Japanese pop culture I could not locate the initial source.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Why do you hate fun, son?

PiedPiper posted:

By the way, I wanted to ask you guys: was Ginyu force the first team in history of manga to invent the trope of 'elite villain team' (one short guy, one huge guy, one supertall guy, one guy who works in a pair with another guy and a captain)? I mean, I've seen this trope in many other mangas, even in Berserk, but due to my limited exposure to Japanese pop culture I could not locate the initial source.

I can't really name other example, but with all those long-running superhero anime from the 60s and 70s I doubt they'd be the first one.

KidneyKai
Nov 6, 2010
I always wondered something about Dr. Gero. His surveillance drones were shown to be around for Raditz's battle with Goku and Piccolo and they probably reported that Goku died during that battle. Didn't he wonder why Goku was suddenly alive, one year later? Did he have an aim beyond assassinating Goku? Did he know about the Dragonballs? Were they even acknowledged during the Android/ Cell arc minus a brief mention before Piccolo and Kami fused?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They were harvesting Cells and probably weren't meant to do more than that including reporting "I have successfully harvested cells"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

KidneyKai posted:

Did he know about the Dragonballs?

Gero was a member of Red Ribbon, and their main goal in DB was to get the Dragon Balls(So the commander could get taller).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I should make this my avatar tbh

I'm really divided, but it's gotta be that the text under the avatar is "Maybe now X-sempai will notice me!" in tiny text.

I am divided on whether it should be Vegeta, Ginyu or Freeza.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Eh...maybe it's just me being influenced by the more serious English dubs, but characters who tried to impale enemies with tree trunks and break children's necks who did poses is a bit of a different scope than 'Burter's mom was really mean that's why he's so fast'. But whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

facebook jihad posted:

Eh...maybe it's just me being influenced by the more serious English dubs, but characters who tried to impale enemies with tree trunks and break children's necks who did poses is a bit of a different scope than 'Burter's mom was really mean that's why he's so fast'. But whatever.

The neck breaker also died with his bare rear end hanging out.

• Locked thread