Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I get 20x30 prints off my 5d3 and I don't notice banding issues. Are my eyes broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Bubbacub posted:

I get 20x30 prints off my 5d3 and I don't notice banding issues. Are my eyes broken?

Unless you are trying to recover shadows aggressively, you won't really notice.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
gently caress cameras take photos.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

just look at things and remember them imo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Learn to draw you loving noobs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Learn to draw you loving noobs

Oh yeah that will totally eliminate all the stupid debates.

It'd move it to a different forum I suppose, which might help SoundMonkey.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

And they could argue about which mechanical pencil has better ergonomics or line density.

Let me tell you about eraser supremacy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pencils?!?! You loving swine, use charcoal made by burning antlers in a coffee can like your ancestors did.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

VendaGoat posted:

And they could argue about which mechanical pencil has better ergonomics or line density.

Let me tell you about eraser supremacy.

First generation of digital drawing

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

spog posted:

First generation of digital drawing

Look at that Full-Frame Sensor :gizz:

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Look at that Full-Frame Sensor :gizz:

What ever, look at all the banding in the shadows.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

:smuggo:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

next time ettr, bitch.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I wonder if Eggleston ETTR-ed?

he didnt and neither should you, anymore, focus on the content :snoop:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Musket posted:

next time ettr, bitch.

if he ettr's he'll shake the board.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

This is one thing I absolutely adore about SomethingAwful - a professional mechanic wanders into the Dorkroom with his new camera, and ends up discovering his lens has a gearbox, and is otherwise extremely similar to a late-90's Hyundai.

That's just the kit lens. Don't worry, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I am convinced the "professional" grade lenses are much less flimsy.

The second hand zoom lens I bought, whilst having no AF, seems to be of considerably higher quality. The end part that moves back and forth has very little play even when fully extended and the general fit and finish seems much tighter. The only irritating thing is that when you operate the focus ring, there is no way of disengaging it from the little screw that's supposed to mesh with a full-sized body, so you can hear the entire geartrain softly whining. It doesn't bother me, but it's strange that it happens and I'd like to play around with a brand new lens of the same make and size to see if it's just how they are or if mine has a missing tooth on a gear somewhere, or something.

Can you grease lens gearing somehow? Now that I've taken one apart, the other seems to have similar construction, at least in the broad strokes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

Clearly your prints aren't of the inside of a lens cap underexposed by 10 stops and then boosted in post.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

WIth wildlife photography, or some others that you you might aggressively have to crop it can be an issue.

I've gone birding with everything from a 10D to a 7D and somehow have managed to end up with a big pile of really nice prints (often heavily cropped) from these completely useless outdated non-Sony poo poo sensors. Even in poor light I still get some worthy images, but maybe my standards are just too low.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

The second hand zoom lens I bought, whilst having no AF, seems to be of considerably higher quality. The end part that moves back and forth has very little play even when fully extended and the general fit and finish seems much tighter. The only irritating thing is that when you operate the focus ring, there is no way of disengaging it from the little screw that's supposed to mesh with a full-sized body, so you can hear the entire geartrain softly whining. It doesn't bother me, but it's strange that it happens and I'd like to play around with a brand new lens of the same make and size to see if it's just how they are or if mine has a missing tooth on a gear somewhere, or something.

Can you grease lens gearing somehow? Now that I've taken one apart, the other seems to have similar construction, at least in the broad strokes.
I have no idea, but there is a camera-gear repair thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605301

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ExecuDork posted:

I have no idea, but there is a camera-gear repair thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605301

Don't think that is still a thing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

Actually I moderate that one too :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what you get for not diversifying.

Maybe you could negotiate a trade for some property in SAS or AI.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I've gone birding with everything from a 10D to a 7D and somehow have managed to end up with a big pile of really nice prints (often heavily cropped) from these completely useless outdated non-Sony poo poo sensors. Even in poor light I still get some worthy images, but maybe my standards are just too low.

I don't think I suggested that you can't get nice prints/shots.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

I don't think I suggested that you can't get nice prints/shots.

I don't think anyone suggested people actually read your posts.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I don't think anyone suggested people actually read your posts.

but see, you just did.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Jimlad posted:

So uhm... scrub dicktographer question time: how does everyone set their exposures? Jam it at whatever exposure comp feels right and fix anything bad in post?

Av in spot meter mode for most stuff, center weighted for sports or other fast moving events with shifting light. Generally if it's a constant light situation, it's easiest just to nail down the exposure and set it to manual. Sunny 16 is a pretty easy quick and dirty approach, too.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Av in spot meter mode for most stuff, center weighted for sports or other fast moving events with shifting light. Generally if it's a constant light situation, it's easiest just to nail down the exposure and set it to manual. Sunny 16 is a pretty easy quick and dirty approach, too.

Av mode for sports? o.O

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Av mode for sports? o.O

Sure. That way you can fix your exposure at the widest aperture your lens can offer.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

spog posted:

Sure. That way you can fix your exposure at the widest aperture your lens can offer.

I shoot sports for a wire, and I can't imagine ever shooting Av. You need control over shutter speed and aperture. In bad lighting (half sun, half shade), I'll use aperture on the fly to adjust exposure without touching my shutter speed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

I shoot sports for a wire, and I can't imagine ever shooting Av. You need control over shutter speed and aperture. In bad lighting (half sun, half shade), I'll use aperture on the fly to adjust exposure without touching my shutter speed.

So you need control over your shutter speed but never touch it? So glad there's someone like you here to tell us how to shoot "for a wire".

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I was playing around with the Set Picture Control options, learning how they work and so on, so I took a neutral photograph and a more vivid one.

This is how they look in-camera and in thumbnail form on my computer:

And this is how they look in Lightroom and in Explorer:

Am I missing something here or is the effect only applying to the preview thumbnails? My guess is that the profiles are meant only to be used when shooting in Jpeg format and that using them for RAW does gently caress all. Is that right?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

So you need control over your shutter speed but never touch it? So glad there's someone like you here to tell us how to shoot "for a wire".

Good luck shooting sports at 1/10

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Beige posted:

I was playing around with the Set Picture Control options, learning how they work and so on, so I took a neutral photograph and a more vivid one.

Am I missing something here or is the effect only applying to the preview thumbnails? My guess is that the profiles are meant only to be used when shooting in Jpeg format and that using them for RAW does gently caress all. Is that right?

Set the camera profile in Lightroom to Camera Neutral or Standard. That'll make sure lightroom doesn't apply it's own, which is more 'contrasty'.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

you should try being less angry as well. you'll live longer.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pukestain Pal posted:

Good luck shooting sports at 1/10

Maybe he's an e-sports photographer. 1/10 is probably fast enough for pictures of fat kids playing Starcraft.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Look assholes. I shoot sports for a wire service and my girlfriend has a man jaw. Listen to me. - Pukestain Paul.

Unless you are getting paid, you have no reason to own pro gear. I shoot for SI and a wire service. Listen to me. - Pukestain Paul

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Beige posted:

Yep - when shooting RAW the thumb and histogram will be based off those settings but the raw is still.. Raw. If you use the mfgr software (like dpp for canon) it will usually default to the settings you selected in camera also. With acr/Lightroom you can select the 'camera X' calibration profile to get back to that look

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Musket posted:

Look assholes. I shoot sports for a wire service and my girlfriend has a man jaw. Listen to me. - Pukestain Paul.

Unless you are getting paid, you have no reason to own pro gear. I shoot for SI and a wire service. Listen to me. - Pukestain Paul

did I hit a nerve?

I know you are trying to bait me into getting banned/probated. give it a break.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Beige posted:

My guess is that the profiles are meant only to be used when shooting in Jpeg format and that using them for RAW does gently caress all. Is that right?

That is exactly right. If you have a camera with an electronic viewfinder and focus peaking you can use this to your advantage, but mostly it means don't bother setting any filters or styles in camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pukestain Pal posted:

did I hit a nerve?

I know you are trying to bait me into getting banned/probated. give it a break.

Well at least you are aware of how unwanted you are around these parts. Knowing is half the battle. Eventually you will fall for it. Again.

No nerves were hit, just think you are an insufferable person who needs to be reminded that your opinions are not gospel or fact :snoop:

Musket fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 28, 2014