Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pseudorandom name posted:

that story that came out last week about how that one guy fought hard internally to get advertising in the xbox 360 dashboard to increase the visibility of newly released xbox live arcade games and then management turned around and started selling mcdonalds ads is pretty lol

link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Any. Day. Now.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6076381/microsoft-windows-store-fake-apps-crackdown

"Microsoft's Windows and Windows Phone app stores have faced several issues with fake and scam applications over the years, but the software maker appears to be finally cracking down. After recent reports highlighting scams that lead people to pay for useless apps that are typically free, Microsoft's Windows Apps and Store general manager, Todd Brix, says the company will be enforcing its policies more strictly in future.

The scam apps are going away"

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

http://blog.theilluminatedsquid.com/post/94215585076/10-years-in-games-sorry-for-all-the-ads

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thankyew :tipshat:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I called my boss asking for the Mac notebook to replace my current dell and he said there aren't any. Strange, considering the OP.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that made me sad for some reason

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cost them millions in R&D work and earned them (probably) nothing

it actually earned them less than nothing.

sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make sega cd games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make 32x games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
ea: "what's this about both of those things being discontinued?"
sega to ea: "oh, yeah, poo poo happens, y'know? but dudes, you should totally make sega saturn games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make dreamcast ga-"
ea: "you know what? gently caress you. in fact, that's exactly what we're going to do. best of luck with your console which now can't have sports games using the actual teams."

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

from the Windows RT thread in dyp

a loving litany of bad decisions

the "anything but Apple" philosophy of personal electronics purchasing always brings the funny

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

cause otherwise you wouldn't have been able to save at all

apparently the core sku literally came with nothing storage-wise. the storage solution at the time was 64 megs of flash memory for $30, which they later had to offer free exchanges for to a larger size (i forget if the freebie was 128 or 256 megs) so they could continue doing os updates

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
reminder that game installs weren't a thing until like 2011 either, so microsoft could half-rear end it for like 6 years

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

univbee posted:

apparently the core sku literally came with nothing storage-wise. the storage solution at the time was 64 megs of flash memory for $30, which they later had to offer free exchanges for to a larger size (i forget if the freebie was 128 or 256 megs) so they could continue doing os updates

they gave out USB flash drives, not the proprietary memory cards

they also gave out entirely new consoles when they changed the DVD copy protection and some of the drives in the field couldn't be updated to read the new discs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THC posted:

my 3shitty didn't RROD, it had some other problem where the video kept cutting out, and it was out of warranty so technically not covered by the RROD fix program

but I called ms and told them it had RROD and they replaced it lol

mine didn't until i spoke the words "my launch 360 made it to afghanistan and back so it's probably gonna be fine"

that same week, red ring of hubris

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i sold mine before it had a chance to red ring lol

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
mine didnt rrod but i think it was related. the console would run display black and weight and occasionally psychedelic colors and if i wrapped it in a sweater and let it run until it crapped out, when ii turned it on it would work normally for half an hour

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

funnily enough apple made a similar rrod-like mistake with the apple iii back in '84 (it was the first non-woz design and was a fanless computer in an aluminum box)

the best part about that snafu is that if you called up apple tech support because your comp overheated and split the chips off the motherboard, apple's official troubleshooting step involved telling you to lift your pc 3 inches off your desk/floor and drop it (because the shock sometimes shifted the chips back into place)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

univbee posted:

funnily enough apple made a similar rrod-like mistake with the apple iii back in '84 (it was the first non-woz design and was a fanless computer in an aluminum box)

the best part about that snafu is that if you called up apple tech support because your comp overheated and split the chips off the motherboard, apple's official troubleshooting step involved telling you to lift your pc 3 inches off your desk/floor and drop it (because the shock sometimes shifted the chips back into place)

same thing happened with early 520STs, OS rom chips pop out of the socket and you have to drop the thing onto a desk to reseat them

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FamDav posted:

mine didnt rrod but i think it was related. the console would run display black and weight and occasionally psychedelic colors and if i wrapped it in a sweater and let it run until it crapped out, when ii turned it on it would work normally for half an hour

thats an rrod but ur red ring was also broken

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

homo punching bag posted:

ur red ring was also broken
:goatsecx:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
it was actually pretty neat id just get high and play guitar hero 2 and be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlMHJE82Mk

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i have it on good authority from one of the PCB design consultants on the xbox that MS was told it would overheat and destroy itself long before they shipped the first batch, but decided not to bother changing anything

later they completely redid the layout and cooling because it kept breaking

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

longview posted:

i have it on good authority from one of the PCB design consultants on the xbox that MS was told it would overheat and destroy itself long before they shipped the first batch, but decided not to bother changing anything

there was no way they were going to miss holidays 2005, period and no amount of bad news could have derailed it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

there was no way they were going to miss holidays 1982, period and no amount of bad news could have derailed it

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

there was no way they were going to miss holidays 2005, period and no amount of bad news could have derailed it

I can understand this conceptually- the reasons why you might want to push something out the door NO MATTER WHAT consequences be dammed, but that doesn't stop it from causing an intense feeling of nausea.

guess I'll never be a producer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's nothing more frustrating than busting your rear end on something that ends up being terrible, there's no feeling of accomplishment, just that you wasted a bunch of your life

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

qirex posted:

there's nothing more frustrating than busting your rear end on something that ends up being terrible, there's no feeling of accomplishment, just that you wasted a bunch of your life

don't describe the post history button for most posters

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

ah, that explains my malaise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raruler posted:

don't describe the post history button for most posters

do people actually work hard on posts?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

don't describe my career

or my life

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qirex posted:

not me lmbo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the stuff I work on now isn't cool or exciting but it's genuinely better than what we're replacing so I can feel good about that even if there's a lot of compromise because our technology sucks

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

you don't think the PCB design guys felt a sense of accomplishment when microsoft flushed a bunch of money down the drain buying people new consoles after "I told you so"? I mean, they should have.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

qirex posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342353

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

qirex posted:

how about when it ends up pretty good but nobody wants it

that more closely mirrors my career, anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qntm posted:

how about when it ends up pretty good but nobody wants it

if you did Good Work on it who cares?* if it works as designed and flops in the market that's product management's problem

*this doesn't work if your compensation is directly tied to its popularity

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

now you see why computer people believe in the singularity

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

homo punching bag posted:

thats an rrod but ur red ring was also broken

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

im the south sandwich trench

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's an important source of deliciuos sandwiches. there used to be a time when people died trying to harvest sandwiches, and now we have abundance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

nothing gives my life meaning more, than lack of meaning

*^%BUDDISHM%^*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

qirex posted:

its even worse when you start on a project that had promise but then slips into mediocrity and eventually terribleness before it even ships

• Locked thread