Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

angryhampster posted:

drat that looked rough. Was it recent?

Quite recent.
http://jalopnik.com/soaring-race-car-crash-puts-ricky-bobby-to-shame-1625703950

Dude popped his steering wheel off and hopped out before the marshals got to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"A slight bit of fire on his clothing as he gets out, but he was ok."

:v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent that whole gif hoping the second car would pass under him completely unmolested and continue the race.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KozmoNaut posted:

"A slight bit of fire on his clothing as he gets out, but he was ok."

:v:

Automotive Insanity › Post terrible car stuff in this thread - A slight bit of fire

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Automotive Insanity › Post terrible car stuff in this thread - A slight bit of fire

Automotive Insanity - A slight bit of fire.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

I spent that whole gif hoping the second car would pass under him completely unmolested and continue the race.

This totally doesn't belong in this thread, but here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzFgGcfgjZ0

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

That one at 2:35 did NOT go the way I was expecting :stare:

Is all the foam stuff an automatic fire extinguisher or what?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I experienced a 1974 Mustang II steering column yesterday... you have to press a button on the opposite side from the key to turn the key on, and then you also have to press it to turn the car off. That was weird poo poo, I remember my parents having a pickup where you had to press the little tab in order to turn the car on, but never to turn it back off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

It always amazes me how slow and undramatic everything looks in those situations until the car a/ rolls, b/ hits something or c/ becomes totally loving airborne.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I *really* wish I knew what the hell was going on here...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Using the tow hook to pull the crushed-in section of body/frame/etcetera back out?

That blanket is really gonna help if that cable around the pole goes all "gently caress you I'm snappin'". :unsmigghh:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

What are the odds that the pole was also involved in the damage to begin with?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Root Bear posted:

The pole giveth and the pole taketh away.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Root Bear posted:

I don't know, but I can almost guarantee the owner blames "snap oversteer" for the damage.

Granted I have "fixed" body damage on a few cars that way. One being the $300 suzuki swift my brother bought while we were in NZ.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I'd say he had no jack stands and was using the comealong and the pole to anchor the car and keep it from rolling forwards off the floorjack.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The comment and the mallet all point to ameture frame-straightening.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He's trying to straighten out the rear part of the frame of an MR2 with a mallet, a hydraulic jack and a cable tied round a pole and attached to a tow point...

I'll put $10,000 on:

a) that car being terrifying as hell to drive
b) the same thing being done to that car again within a month

Atleast he admits it a "Ghetro" repair

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xy Hapu posted:

Saw this today while filling up at Costco's . . .

I can only imagine some stupid rumor started floating around that doing this gives you a bit of free gas or something. Otherwise, it's just like, WHY

I know one reason you do need to hold the nozzle upsidedown:

loving flatbed utes.

You can see the fillpoint in the photo at the front of the tray. The fuel line always seems to run horizontally for about a foot before angling down. This mean that fuels washes back and touches the nozzle during filling and makes it shut off.

I worked at a petrol station about 20 years ago when I was at uni. It happened then and it still happens now and it beggars belief that the design hasn't been changed.

So you turn the nozzle upsidedown so that the fuel doesn't touch the little sensor hole and when you finish filling you spill a bunch of petrol from the horizontal section of the pipe onto the ground.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Spotted by some dude I know with a jeep.

All I want to know is which of these thermal exhaust ports I can torpedo to make the main reactor blow.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know one reason you do need to hold the nozzle upsidedown:

loving flatbed utes.

You can see the fillpoint in the photo at the front of the tray. The fuel line always seems to run horizontally for about a foot before angling down. This mean that fuels washes back and touches the nozzle during filling and makes it shut off.

I worked at a petrol station about 20 years ago when I was at uni. It happened then and it still happens now and it beggars belief that the design hasn't been changed.

So you turn the nozzle upsidedown so that the fuel doesn't touch the little sensor hole and when you finish filling you spill a bunch of petrol from the horizontal section of the pipe onto the ground.

Thats not uncommon with any flatbed truck, mostly because they try to build them with the lowest deck height possible. I used to drive a POS 80's f350 flatbed for work and carried a chunk of 4x4 to drive onto get a slightly better angle for filling the tank. And of course it had a giant gas tank in it so it took forever to fill up. I was so happy the day it got stolen and replaced with a brand new one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

I think I've found another picture of the tunnel car. It's worse than I could have imagined.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Motronic posted:

I think I've found another picture of the tunnel car. It's worse than I could have imagined.

Nope, but good guess. That's a Belgian car right there, while the tunnel car is in Japan.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Also isn't the tunnel car car a Murcielago? If I'm recalling the gif correctly.

E: apparently not but it was a newer face lifted gallardo.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
This car?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I would wrap every car I ever owned like that if I could.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

I would wrap every car I ever owned like that if I could.

Nothing is stopping you http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-x60-SILVER-CHROME-MIRROR-Vinyl-Wrap-Sticker-Decal-Sheet-Air-Bubble-Free-/140979075628

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

That's just chrome mirror. This is what you want (been sitting in my watch list since the video was first posted months ago):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321223266601?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

That's just chrome mirror. This is what you want (been sitting in my watch list since the video was first posted months ago):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321223266601?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Duh, right. Silly me.

Pretty sure that's even cheaper than what I linked to. Oh hell, I might order some tomorrow and go guerrilla wrap my wife's car while she's at work after it comes in.

Edit: Actually, how well would this stuff hold up to heat? The hood insulation is missing in her car and that's where I'd want to start

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 28, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We have an ambulance wrapped with blue 3M professional vinyl (a "stay safe around water" ambulance in Phoenix run by Southwest Ambulance), and the entire hood area, including five or six inches to both sides on the front quarter panels, is burned brown. I don't know how long it took to do that, but rumor is that all wraps happened last summer. That is with the insulation intact, but they are Ford 7.3 diesel engines that sit and run for sixty hours at a time, so usage is probably a lot different than in a car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They say a wrap could be expected last 3 years when exposed to sunlight, i would think a reflective vinyl could do better, as it wouldn't be absorbing as much of the sun's poo poo.

I wonder if you could go over a vinyl with something like por15's UV coat

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That would ruin the holographic effect. Of course, we could be talking about normal vinyl wrap and not the :pcgaming: wrap, but that's no fun.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

They say a wrap could be expected last 3 years when exposed to sunlight, i would think a reflective vinyl could do better, as it wouldn't be absorbing as much of the sun's poo poo.

I wonder if you could go over a vinyl with something like por15's UV coat

It's not light above I'm worried about, it's "really hot engine that annoys the poo poo out of me, why are you so goddamned hot?" below

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_vVjYwJKQ

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Oh, I didn't know Wangan Midnight was factual.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Sigma X posted:

Guy must have run a bunch of ghost battle races for those neons.

(Wangan Midnight WAS loosely based off the Mid Night Club which had a Porsche and Z rivalry)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sigma X posted:

It actually was an actual real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Night_Club

Fake edit: Beatean

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Any idea what this is?

edit: Apparently a Snyder ST600-C. Glad it has a roof rack, because what a three-wheeled car really needs is a higher center of gravity

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 28, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I like how obviously uncomfortable the white guy aping anime Japanese mannerisms makes the actual Japanese guy with the cool car.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I like this more than a person should.

These guys decided their Lamborghinis aren't vulgar enough already, so they added hologram wraps and flashing lights. I hate it, but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

bisticles posted:

Any idea what this is?

edit: Apparently a Snyder ST600-C. Glad it has a roof rack, because what a three-wheeled car really needs is a higher center of gravity

Not that 3 wheeled cars are bad, but in this configuration (1 wheel at the front, 2 in back) this one isn't much better than a Reliant Robin.

The Morgan 3 Wheeler is way more stable, 2 wheels in the front, and 1 one in the back.