Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

whatever7 posted:

So Hong Kong went Ferguson over a dead dog, WTF happened?

More the company than the dog. They have done so much wasting public money, appearing to bow to tycoons and the Chinese government for payouts to them. This dog is the last straw after the pitiful attempt to rescue it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anti mainland protest in disguise?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Not really. The MTR has been going downhill since the handover, but it's their own damned fault for having screwed up priorities.

Or maybe it's the Hong Kong government's fault for privatizing them in the first place.

Or maybe it's the Hong Kong government's fault for privatizing them with this screwed up incentive system where they get free land in exchange for building more rail lines, turning them into more of a property developer than a transit corp.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those bastards. The railway authority need to stop the operation for three days to mourn teh dead!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm kind of curious as to what Xi and the Chinese government will think/say about its biggest ally of convenience straight up invading a neighbor. Over internal issues no less. No doubt they won't say anything unless they have to but this goes against the foundational principal of Russian/Chinese cooperation.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think China's policy is say anything Putin like to hear and egg him on to battle the West.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My limited understanding of history is that China was able to invade Tibet because everyone was war weary from WWII and didn't want to bother doing anything about it.

If everyone is dicking around with Russia, China can grab some rocks in the South China sea or do other dumb poo poo without getting in trouble

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what Xi and the Chinese government will think/say about its biggest ally of convenience straight up invading a neighbor. Over internal issues no less. No doubt they won't say anything unless they have to but this goes against the foundational principal of Russian/Chinese cooperation.

Well the CCP is normally very strict about sticking to traditional ideological principles so I imagine they'll...

Oh.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's not like Beijing doesn't get some mileage out of ignoring their so-called principles of non-interference when it comes to Russia:

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=11493
In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov

Seliger, Tver region, August 28, Interfax - The visit of the Dalai Lama to Russia requires that he fully give up politics, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said.

"If it is a pastoral visit, the pastor should definitely withdraw from political activities. Unfortunately, we observe that this has not happened yet," Lavrov told participants in the Seliger-2014 youth forum.

He said the Russian authorities "are actively interested in cooperating closely with key traditional religions of our country in our domestic life and foreign policy activities," he said.

"In this case we have issues relating to the problem of Tibet and problems of the Dalai Lama's political involvement in these processes. And they cannot be disregarded," Lavrov said.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

My understanding from their stances at the UN, etc. is that they're not exactly comfortable with it but they're not going to stick their necks out either.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
It's almost as though China's stance on non-interference in internal affairs isn't entirely consistent

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fall Sick and Die posted:

It's almost as though China's stance on non-interference in internal affairs isn't entirely consistent

Or even a little bit consistent.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Or even a little bit consistent.

I remember when the Chinese ambassador the UK publicly criticised of the UK's policy directions just before Li Keqiang's visit. I really enjoyed pointing out to my cadre class how he was interfering with UK internal affairs and hurting the feelings of the British people.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
lol, how did the class react?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Daduzi posted:

I remember when the Chinese ambassador the UK publicly criticised of the UK's policy directions just before Li Keqiang's visit. I really enjoyed pointing out to my cadre class how he was interfering with UK internal affairs and hurting the feelings of the British people.

Aha, that must have gone over well.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

On the Ukraine issue? How do you figure? China didn't recognized the two "countries" Russia annexed out of Georgia.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Jesus where to start. Going back a bit, during my time in China I'd had multiple people tell me how awful it was for the USA to support the Guomindang against the wishes of the Chinese people and interfere in China's internal affairs, but what about the Soviet support for the Commmunists? Apparently it only counts as interference in internal affairs when you support the losing side, whereas of course the Soviets were right to support Mao!

http://www.eigroupusa.com/events/2426Chinicizes - China criticizing Soviet Union for NOT preparing for war with the west

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19841227-1.2.13.9.aspx - China criticizing the Soviet bloc's economic policies

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-04-28/china-criticises-disturbing-us-pact-with-philippines/ - China criticizing Philippines and USA making a bilateral agreement (You can claim this is not technically internal affairs but China is stridently opposed to anyone else interfering with their own attempts to impose bilateral agreements relating to territorial disputes)

http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-criticises-abbott-asylum-seeker-policy-20140220-hvd73.html - China criticizing Australia's human rights policy regarding asylum seekers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-02/china-slams-japan-military-shift/5565630 - China criticizing Japan's reappraisal of their constitution (Apparently Japan has no internal affairs in China's opinion because they criticize everything that Japan does and claims it's all related to 19th and 20th century warmongering, yet what's more internal than a state's democratically elected government reappraising their own constitution? If you're really afraid Japan is going to attack, I doubt a constitution would stop those bloodthirsty devils...)

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/China_responds_to_US_plan_for_import_quotas (China constantly complaining about the need for other countries to lower barriers to Chinese goods while at the same time they raise tons of barriers to other nations, especially relating to the internet and media)

http://thediplomat.com/2014/03/china-backs-russia-on-ukraine/ "Further, the Xinhua commentary had no criticism for Russia’s decision to send troops to Crimea. “It is quite understandable when Putin said his country retained the right to protect its interests and Russian-speakers living in Ukraine,” the commentary said. Rather than opposing the move, the West should “respect Russia’s unique role in mapping out the future of Ukraine.”" - And slowly support gathers for a return to Qing era policy where Chinese people anywhere were still considered part of the Empire, the blood quanta determining who is and is not a son of the Yellow Emperor. If China is supporting Russia's 'special role' to protect the interests of people who share Russian culture in the states bordering Russia, what does that say about China's special role to protect the interests of Chinese people in every country with a significant Chinese population? It hasn't happened yet, but I imagine that if Indonesia had gone through the anti-Chinese riots of the 90s today there would be more than just talk..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7503428.stm - China supporting Sudan's government against rebels

http://www.voanews.com/content/chinese-support-for-wa-rebels-designed-to-counter-burma/1590718.html - Supporting rebels in Burma now that Burma's govt is moving away from China

China criticizes anyone it feels like when it's in their favor, they will continue to do so more and more, because the government doesn't actually care about being hypocritical, it's all for domestic consumption. The only reason they care about non-interference is because they don't want anyone else interfering in their own affairs as a sovereign state. Unfortunately we're not going to be able to push the rest of the world back to the Treaty of Westphalia where a sovereign has absolute rights over his people within his borders, interference within other nations domestic affairs is a hallmark of international politics today, it's the very raison d'etre of UN agencies like the Human Rights Council or all the conventions on what states today can or can't do, which again obviously almost every state in the world ignores. I'm not saying China is alone in this, but from their attitude it's like they think they're the Federation following the Prime Directive, shaking their head at we poor fools who can't see that nations must develop on their own free from interference.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 28, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait, you have a problem with Beijing's foreign policy not consistent with 30 years ago? 50 years ago? Ok never mind I asked.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Only a few of those examples are from 50 years ago. Most of them are from the past few years and one's directly relating to Ukraine, which you asked for. My point was just that there's a strong disconnect between most Chinese people's ideas of how China has behaved in the past and is behaving now, and how they actually behaved and are behaving.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Only a few of those examples are from 50 years ago. Most of them are from the past few years and one's directly relating to Ukraine, which you asked for. My point was just that there's a strong disconnect between most Chinese people's ideas of how China has behaved in the past and is behaving now, and how they actually behaved and are behaving.

b.. but America!! :negative:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

b.. but America!! :negative:

Look, Democracies are granted the privilege to be hypocritical every 4 years. That's one of the reasons why we have elections, and why the world puts up with sudden changes in policy eminating from democratic conscensus. At least, if you're a large enough power, you have some leverage to sway elections in democracies.

What I find infuriating about Chinese policy is that it doesn't even put up a pretense of consistency. If it was more subtle and less blatent, nobody would be inconvenienced by it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hi !

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 11, 2019

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Up until ~30 years ago China was literally a feudal peasant society. It's unreasonable to expect the Chinese people to be a bastion of liberal democratic ideology when a significant chunk of them still aren't even literate. If things are the same in 30 years then feel free to complain, but I am pretty bemused by people who complain about this. What were you expecting exactly?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Look, Democracies are granted the privilege to be hypocritical every 4 years. That's one of the reasons why we have elections, and why the world puts up with sudden changes in policy eminating from democratic conscensus. At least, if you're a large enough power, you have some leverage to sway elections in democracies.

I was trying to preemptively cut off the tu quoque argument we frequently hear after talking about China in this, the China thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Up until ~30 years ago China was literally a feudal peasant society. It's unreasonable to expect the Chinese people to be a bastion of liberal democratic ideology when a significant chunk of them still aren't even literate. If things are the same in 30 years then feel free to complain, but I am pretty bemused by people who complain about this. What were you expecting exactly?

According to the CIA World Factbook for China

Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 95.1%
male: 97.5%
female: 92.7% (2010 est.)

This seems really suspect given the hundreds of millions of people still living at subsistence levels.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

Literacy:

This seems really suspect given the hundreds of millions of people still living at subsistence levels.

The PRC (and actually GMD before them) made it a really big deal to send your kids off to school.

e: That being said, the official standard for literacy (1500-2000 characters) and the practical one (3000 characters) differed.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 28, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also living at subsistence level does not preclude literacy.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

Literacy:

Most countries which understand the value of education as a tool to create legitimacy are heavily invested in ensuring literacy.

Like, education is indoctrination, full stop. There's a lot of negative connotations of the idea of 'shaping people's perceptions', but that's what education does, and that's why making sure you have a literate populace is valuable-it means it is significantly easier, and cheaper, to have the populace exposed to a consistent worldview. There are many things suspect about China, but its literacy rate is almost certainly not one of them.

It's at a point where it can legitimately flex its might and is also opposed in many ways to the global hegemon by the very nature of the United States not wanting to be thrown out of the #1 spot, or even have a close runner-up to #2. Its political stance is going to evolve significantly due to that (as well as the results of the new generation of leaders being people who have started to grow up in the period of time where China was rapidly growing and improving, leading to certain colored perceptions), and the last decade or so has undeniably been a time of drastic, drastic change for China.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Sorry I'm unaware of there being a correlation between being hypocritical and being literate? Do people need to write down the things they say before they know what they said? I thought it was much more a matter of the doublethink imposed on them by several lifetimes of often-conflicting nationalist propaganda and the simultaneous destruction, perversion and exploitation of history. I never actually held up the Chinese as failing to uphold 'liberal democratic ideology' but rather criticized the government for holding a really obvious double standard where they pretend that they don't interfere in the affairs of other nations (hardly a hallmark of liberal democracy hmm?) giving them status as shrill victim of nebulous international conspiracies to keep the Chinese people down and split up their nation.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

systran posted:

lol, how did the class react?

Aha, that must have gone over well.

It was fine, I've been teaching them for 4 years now and they know what I'm like. They just agreed and said the guy was an idiot(though not on so many words) and probably in deep trouble with Beijing. Not sure if they were just placating me, but it's pretty consistent with what they've said before.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So...is democracy in HK finally dead?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/31/beijing-democratic-hong-kong-china/14899665/

quote:

BEIJING – China's top legislative body approved a tightly controlled framework for the 2017 election of Hong Kong's leader Sunday, possibly paving the way for civil unrest that has plagued the country under Chinese rule.

The former British colony on the south China coast was returned to the mainland in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" arrangement where it kept many civil liberties that remain unthinkable in the rest of China. But Beijing retains ultimate power and chooses Hong Kong's leader, called the Chief Executive, through a pro-Beijing committee.

Democratic activists have led a vigorous campaign — including mass protests — to demand an open choice of candidates at the 2017 election. But on Sunday, Beijing announced its widely expected decision to permit only two to three candidates.

The chief executive hopefuls can enter the ballot after obtaining over 50% support of a committee of 1,200 people that are likely to be highly loyal to Beijing, rather than representative of the territory's 7.2 million population.

The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, China's rubber-stamp parliament, said in its decision that universal suffrage — the right to vote — at the 2017 election will represent "historic progress" for Hong Kong. It justified its method of selecting the Chief Executive by insisting that these "institutional safeguards" are necessary for Hong Kong's "long-term prosperity and stability," and to uphold the whole country's "sovereignty, security and development interests."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's disappointing but pretty much what was expected. I wouldn't say it's dead yet, I'd say the fight is only just beginning.

Look at this boot licking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAiKr-9Ut4

Benny Tai's "Era of Civil Disobedience" fell into action immediately. Prompting pants making GBS threads in the form of begging people to please understand that this is a HUGE STEP FORWARD YOU CAN ALL VOTE and PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAiKr-9Ut4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40eN9Uab4C0

SCMP's live blog of the protests

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
You're choosing one name from a list of people. You get to put the paper in the box! That's what democracy is!

This place is really actually hosed. Planning my next moves...

edit: they keep talking about how the safety of workers and kids going to work in Central. It's literally insane. Like people are going to beat up people going to work.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 1, 2014

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I was in HK so I could join the sit in. I will have to settle for watching on from here. :yaycloud:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't worry 30 years later HK will be merged with Shenzhen and the HKD will be converted to RMB. You still get to vote in your favorite mayor but the Party Secretary will be assigned by Beijing. ;)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A lot of police officers on my way to the office today.

We have police buses, and uniformed officers standing at entrances of any Chinese political building. No traffic cops though.

There aren't any protesters yet so it was law enforcement messing up my commute.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
There were no problems in the New Territories as nobody gives a poo poo here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nothing unusual here either, except I saw two buses collide and cause a minor traffic jam.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well, Macau just re-elected their chief executive, Fernando Chiu again. It wasn't much a competition though. Only 1 possible candidate. Macau is an even bigger joke than Hong Kong.

http://qz.com/258189/what-macaus-election-says-about-the-future-of-hong-kong/ posted:

After months of pro-democracy protests, including over the weekend, China finally has unveiled the framework for Hong Kong’s 2017 election of its chief executive. On the subject of universal suffrage, the people of Hong Kong “put forward various views and suggestions,” the Standing Committee of National People’s Congress said. They were summarily ignored.

China will allow two to three candidates, who will have to obtain the support of at least half of the nominating committee members—mostly appointed by pro-Beijing forces in the city—to get on the ballot; then they will be voted on by a similarly-composed 1,200-person election committee. One official in Beijing noted the criteria for being elected included being someone who “loves the country and loves Hong Kong.” In some ways, it’s amazing that China’s leaders even acknowledged the possibility of universal suffrage.

On the same day, not too far away, an election took place at another territory under Chinese control. Macau, now the world’s biggest center for gambling, re-elected Fernando Chui as its chief executive. It wasn’t much of a race. Chui was the only candidate and received 96% of the 396 votes cast by Macau’s election committee, currently composed of 400 people. The whole process took 25 minutes.

Macau was handed over from the Portuguese in 1999, two years after Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule from British. A much smaller island with only one true source of income, it has largely welcomed the mainlanders who come to gamble, drink, and, if they have time, watch some watery acrobatics. Macau and Hong Kong operate under what China’s former paramount leader Deng Xiaoping called “One Country, Two Systems,” which guaranteed a certain amount of freedom in the former colonies, unlike in the mainland, in exchange for acceptance they will be run by handpicked, Beijing-approved technocrats. China wants Hong Kong’s elections to be as smooth as those in Macau, and all signs suggest it will get its way by the time 2017 rolls around.

Yet discontent in Macau has been growing:
  • In the election, Chui received 16 blank and invalid votes, the most-ever votes against a chief executive in the city’s history, according to the South China Morning Post. A few people gathered outside to protest the vote itself.
  • In May, more than 20,000 people took to the streets to protest the cost of living.
  • Casino workers have begun protesting pay and conditions by the thousands. They have marched seven times this year so far.
  • Worse for Chui, people are spending less at casinos amid crackdowns on money laundering and a weakening in the Chinese housing market.
  • And almost 9,000 people in Macau (population: 556,000) voted in an unofficial referendum that asked whether residents have confidence in Chui, the son of a Macanese construction tycoon, and whether they support universal suffrage. Police have arrested five of the organizers; one was charged with aggravated disobedience.
Rather than focusing on making Hong Kong more docile like Macau, China may need to worry about Macau becoming more volatile like Hong Kong.

Bold is mine. I'm going to the protest areas tonight. I can hear faint chants already. Honestly, Occupy Central has a pretty lovely online media campaign, no twitter or fb status and not much updates. Scholarism isn't showing much too. Wish there was occupy central live update somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

caberham posted:

Honestly, Occupy Central has a pretty lovely online media campaign, no twitter or fb status and not much updates.

Sounds to me someone has just found a side project.