Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Found this thread again after seeing that Slashdot reported on it:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/08/28/1424216/anita-sarkeesian-creator-of-tropes-vs-women-driven-from-home-by-trolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

big duck equals goose posted:

It's not fake, but it's pretty funny that someone is scared of death threats on twitter. No one is going to murder you due to gaming "journalism" you dweeb, lol.

Imagine trying to tell a women's rights activist in Iran or a Democratic Party member in China about this poo poo, lol.

haha sorry men didnt donate you enough money this month. I got forced to abort my daughter at gunpoint i know it must be rough foru

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I hope they both keep plugging fake death threats so that it escalates into a slapfight about who deserves more attention

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Pretty sure anyone that actually legitimately thinks Anita would need to fake screencap harassment has some sort of brain problem as she gets plenty of real stuff she could just screencap. Also if I knew these collage making nutcases had my address and were taunting me with it i'd probably lay low for a bit too.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you'd think

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Supernorn posted:

Pretty sure anyone that actually legitimately thinks Anita would need to fake screencap harassment has some sort of brain problem as she gets plenty of real stuff she could just screencap. Also if I knew these collage making nutcases had my address and were taunting me with it i'd probably lay low for a bit too.
"Lay low," here in its non-traditional meaning of "post about how scared you are of these guys on your public twitter."

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I got a place where we can lay low, but my twitter accounts is all messed up, so you better drive brother

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
We're underground now.. this is all underground.. there are men stomping around nearby.. heres the secret paypal to donate to.. yes its just my regular email

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Spanish Manlove posted:

man this style of post is right out of DnD

I know. I just like JonTron, and he seems like a nice guy whose biggest offense is being opposed to any kind of censorship, and thinking it's stupid for people to get upset at meaningless bullshit. A post calling him a "total retard" over a controversy about him calling a gaming service "retarded", combined with made up claims about what he did, was just too retarded to ignore.

I totally believed some random shithead sent that abuse to her. There's no way there isn't someone out there somewhere who would, because they'd find it funny as poo poo, just like loving swatters. But that 12 seconds part is suspicious as gently caress.

XK fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Twitter idiots managed to ground a plane by sending bomb threats but I can't even believe people would send detailed death threats to famous youtube person, even though they obsess over said person so much that they make borderline schizophrenic ms-paint pictures with only thermite can melt steel there was no moon landing Paul is dead style rants.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anita is in a tight spot and needs to lay low. She is fixin to R U N N O F T!

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

this is very triggering, please remove tia

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

XK posted:

I know. I just like JonTron, and he seems like a nice guy whose biggest offense is being opposed to any kind of censorship, and thinking it's stupid for people to get upset at meaningless bullshit. A post calling him a "total retard" over a controversy about him calling a gaming service "retarded", combined with made up claims about what he did, was just too retarded to ignore.

If it's any consolation, he really doesn't deserve all that negative attention for one marginally dumb comment.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

lol at the bullwinkle shirt and that anita took the time to remind people to donate to her after she called authorities

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
i want to be a professional victim when i grow up

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dMastri posted:

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

dMastri posted:

this is very insulting to actual victims such as myself

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dMastri posted:

So you want to be a whore

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

dMastri posted:

There's plenty of time till next World Cup.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Look, there are basically two possibilities:

One: Anita Sarkeesian got pinged by a mention, went to Kevin Dobson's page, got so freaked out by his tweets that she immediately logged out, then regained some courage and realized that she should actually screenshot this page, all within 3-4 minutes total.

Two: Anita Sarkeesian is a liar.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Did she at least remember to disable geo-tagging when tweeting about hiding in fear of a guy on twitter?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Hayburner posted:

this is very insulting to actual victims such as myself

you think you have it bad? my problems make yours look like a child dropped his ice cream

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cycloneman posted:

Look, there are basically two possibilities:

One: Anita Sarkeesian got pinged by a mention, went to Kevin Dobson's page, got so freaked out by his tweets that she immediately logged out, then regained some courage and realized that she should actually screenshot this page, all within 3-4 minutes total.

Two: Anita Sarkeesian is a liar.

or, she logged out to hide information or she uses a program like Tweetdeck, and didn't want to screencap that

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Good thing that this guy would threaten her with personal information not during her kickstarter when the hatred against her hit peak malice, but instead in the middle of a completely different scandal entirely unrelated of her. Otherwise all these people on twitter would have been so busy defending Zoe they forgot all about Anitas new video.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Are gamers so loving stupid they can't figure out that there are valid ways to criticize and debate poo poo without sounding like uneducated, misogynistic shitheads? I don't particularly care for Anita Sarkeesian's style, since I find it's a bit too simple for its own good, and I'm not a fan of Zoe Quinn, but I'm pretty sure threatening to rape someone is a pretty poor loving argument and generally considered unacceptable behavior. It discredits your side! But they can't understand it! So loving dense.

It can't just be the internet's/social media's fault that nerds don't understand how to actually argue points, can it? I understand internet anonymity, perceived or otherwise, is a thing, but gamers and other nerds seem so far loving gone when it comes to this poo poo.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

horriblePencilist posted:

Good thing that this guy would threaten her with personal information not during her kickstarter when the hatred against her hit peak malice, but instead in the middle of a completely different scandal entirely unrelated of her. Otherwise all these people on twitter would have been so busy defending Zoe they forgot all about Anitas new video.

[ donate here ]

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

big duck equals goose posted:

It's not fake, but it's pretty funny that someone is scared of death threats on twitter. No one is going to murder you due to gaming "journalism" you dweeb, lol.

People have been murdered for stupider poo poo. No SANE person would murder someone for talking about video games, but then again no sane person would shoot someone because they didn't like his pop songs yet look at John Lennon.

Knowing there's a 99% chance that you're getting death threats from trolls and idiots rather than actual crazy people is small comfort when the hypothetical murderous crazy person knows where you live.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I hate this thread because all those conspiracy screencaps are hilarious but instead of laughing at them you stroke your chin and go "Hmmmm, those ovens really can't incinerate that many people"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Supernorn posted:

She definitely doesn't have to fake any screenshots. I got a few dumbass threats for posting on SA that a lovely indie dev was poo poo a few years ago. Fanatical nerds are everywhere.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Azraelle posted:

I hate this thread because all those conspiracy screencaps are hilarious but instead of laughing at them you stroke your chin and go "Hmmmm, those ovens really can't incinerate that many people"

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
the real travesty is that talentless hacks like zoe quinn spread the wrong message about game development, something along the lines of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXul4ENEYOA

making games is hard work and learning to code and/or write and/or design, it's not about social connections and twitter and talking

the best thing zoe quinn could do at this point, if she was serious about being game dev (she's not), is shut the gently caress up for a year, hunker down, and make an honest to goodness real live game

but i'm convinced she's just a lazy manipulative oval office with an ego problem

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Azraelle posted:

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Fatkraken posted:

People have been murdered for stupider poo poo. No SANE person would murder someone for talking about video games, but then again no sane person would shoot someone because they didn't like his pop songs yet look at John Lennon.

Knowing there's a 99% chance that you're getting death threats from trolls and idiots rather than actual crazy people is small comfort when the hypothetical murderous crazy person knows where you live.

or that guy who shot up the streets of santa barbara because women didn't want to date him

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Azraelle posted:

Pretty much. Hard to point to the hilarity of psychotic poo poo when goons actually believe it.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fire Barrel posted:

Are gamers so loving stupid

what do you think the median intellectual age of a gamer is

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

funny conspiracy theories can coexist in the same thread with a woman so afraid for her safety she solicits for donations while on the lam

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I really just want someone to ALS challenge both of them right now and have them be like I am running from people saying mean words on the internet ALS challenge videos are like wet tee shirt contest and against all that I believe in, please donate to me.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Deki posted:

She definitely doesn't have to fake any screenshots. I got a few dumbass threats for posting on SA that a lovely indie dev was poo poo a few years ago. Fanatical nerds are everywhere.
Yeah, but did you post it to your twitter account about how horribly scared you were of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Azraelle posted:

• Locked thread