Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Literally The Worst posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy and what's he talking about

CEO of a gaming company who got accused of sexual harassment which was dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dMastri posted:

the real travesty is that talentless hacks like zoe quinn spread the wrong message about game development, something along the lines of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXul4ENEYOA

making games is hard work and learning to code and/or write and/or design, it's not about social connections and twitter and talking

the best thing zoe quinn could do at this point, if she was serious about being game dev (she's not), is shut the gently caress up for a year, hunker down, and make an honest to goodness real live game

lol if you think making games in gamemaker is hard work

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dMastri posted:

would love to see her tax returns
to be fair i'd totally sell out for six figures too

someone posted about this before and linked to http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Siljmonster posted:

lol if you think making games in gamemaker is hard work

lol if you think these qualify as games

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm going to make a indie game that's a clone of pong, but instead of paddles you use two pre-op transsexuals dicks and the ball is a unborn fetus that represents the child you can never have while random text about birth is flashed across the bottom of the screen.

I'll call it "Unreachable" and pretend I'm a girl and ask Kotaku to review it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

CEO of a gaming company company who deals in misogyny and sells sexual harrasment who got accused of sexual harassment which was dismissed.

I fixed this for you,

sincerely
zoe quin

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

horriblePencilist posted:

lol if you think these qualify as games

lol if you care about games

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

no way shes that young

is she a meth addict

I dunno that's probably how 30 looks if you have been in a bad mood for literally all of it

Skallagrimsson
Aug 7, 2003

Straining my strength I grappled,
Staggered the wordy foeman;
My tooth I bade bite him.
Best of swords at need.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

it's a controversy about a game developer who has never developed a game because she had sex with journalists who aren't really journalists, which caused a war between men who aren't actually men and feminists who aren't feminists.

i feel as though if i merely reach forward and pull, the veil of reality will come tumblring down and i will see the truth that lies beneath

Amen brother.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

big duck equals goose posted:

I'm going to make a indie game that's a clone of pong, but instead of paddles you use two pre-op transsexuals dicks and the ball is a unborn fetus that represents the child you can never have while random text about birth is flashed across the bottom of the screen.

Please, do this. I can be lead QA on this project.

E: You can find my previous game here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658972&userid=207883&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post434039945

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 28, 2014

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Let's have a long and serious discussion about Anita Sarkeesian in the Zoe is a bad person thread. I want to discuss everything about her personality, all the funny facts such as that a kickstarter asking for $6000 got $160000, that her video output is slow, that she totally broke the law by taking footage from longplays.org and didn't credit them, that she sounds bored in her video, that she's teaching feminism 101. I want all the details about how everyone in the thread feels about her physical appearance, her earrings, how she totally misinterpreted that game you liked. Let's really dig in and open up about how much we adore or dislike her videos, how she totally manufactures death threats and should grow thicker skin. And every picture of her must have a "would" or "wouldn't".

This is funny.

The cuck meme

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hogge Wild posted:

no way shes that young

is she a meth addict

idk but the average cost of a facelift in 2013 was $6,556 so she could likely afford one now

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Azraelle posted:

Let's have a long and serious discussion about Anita Sarkeesian in the Zoe is a bad person thread. I want to discuss everything about her personality, all the funny facts such as that a kickstarter asking for $6000 got $160000, that her video output is slow, that she totally broke the law by taking footage from longplays.org and didn't credit them, that she sounds bored in her video, that she's teaching feminism 101. I want all the details about how everyone in the thread feels about her physical appearance, her earrings, how she totally misinterpreted that game you liked. Let's really dig in and open up about how much we adore or dislike her videos, how she totally manufactures death threats and should grow thicker skin. And every picture of her must have a "would" or "wouldn't".

This is funny.

The cuck meme

would

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Azraelle posted:

This is funny.

The cuck meme

one
hundred
sixty
thousand
dollars

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

one
hundred
sixty
thousand
dollars

"please sir may I have some more" - anita after being given 160k and doing nothing with it

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
quinn is 26 or 27 iirc

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

In between stealing video game footage from other videos and Let's Plays (which you'd think would be not necessary given she made tons of money off the initial kickstarter campaign) there's also things like the footage in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJCCnued6c

No, this isn't some "true gamer" bullshit that you get from reddit, either, I just think it more than a bit suspicious that a woman makes a poo poo load of money to put forward a feminist critique off video games, releases her videos at an absolute snail's pace and makes no greater critiques besides "Boy, Damsels in Distress are kind of lame, why can't the damsels do stuff instead?" which is like...I dunno...just struck me as a little weak? Especially since she uses Peach and Zelda as examples--Peach, who has been playable in Mario games numerous times and Zelda, who is among the most powerful and important beings IN the Zelda universe, and...

Like, a lack of agency does not diminish nor weaken a woman's importance in the plot by default. Look at Skyler White in Breaking Bad--and ignoring the actress decrying those who disliked her as misogynists, at least for the moment. She has very little agency throughout the story, and by season 5 she is essentially a hostage to the plot that by and large requires her in no meaningful way, but her importance to the show is not lessened because her lack of agency presents a great deal of the emotional angst of the surrounding characters' descent into evil. As she slowly loses her moral high ground and enters into illegal dealings like Walt does--with even LESS actual success--her lack of agency is not a prop to objectify her with poor writing, but an actual literal and metaphorical binding that shackles her to the ongoing train wreck that her life has become.

Also she apparently told EA to make Mirror's Edge easier because women are stupid and can't play video games like us penis havers.

Well, besides all that, Anita Sarkeesian inspired this nonsense and for that I can never forgive her.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 28, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

big duck equals goose posted:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Once when I was young I was at my grandma's house and the neighbor girl was around my age but had a mental disability to where her brain was stuck at a 6 year old level. Her name was Zoe quin.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BottledBodhisvata posted:

In between stealing video game footage from other videos and Let's Plays (which you'd think would be not necessary given she made tons of money off the initial kickstarter campaign) there's also things like the footage in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJCCnued6c

No, this isn't some "true gamer" bullshit that you get from reddit, either, I just think it more than a bit suspicious that a woman makes a poo poo load of money to put forward a feminist critique off video games, releases her videos at an absolute snail's pace and makes no greater critiques besides "Boy, Damsels in Distress are kind of lame, why can't the damsels do stuff instead?" which is like...I dunno...just struck me as a little weak? Especially since she uses Peach and Zelda as examples--Peach, who has been playable in Mario games numerous times and Zelda, who is among the most powerful and important beings IN the Zelda universe, and...

Like, a lack of agency does not diminish nor weaken a woman's importance in the plot by default. Look at Skyler White in Breaking Bad--and ignoring the actress decrying those who disliked her as misogynists, at least for the moment. She has very little agency throughout the story, and by season 5 she is essentially a hostage to the plot that by and large requires her in no meaningful way, but her importance to the show is not lessened because her lack of agency presents a great deal of the emotional angst of the surrounding character's descent into evil. As she slowly loses her moral high ground and enters into illegal dealings like Walt does--with even LESS actual success--her lack of agency is not a prop to objectify her with poor writing, but an actual literal and metaphorical binding that shackles her to the ongoing train wreck that her life has become.

Also she apparently told EA to make Mirror's Edge easier because women are stupid and can't play video games like us penis havers.

Well, besides all that, Anita Sarkeesian inspired this nonsense and for that I can never forgive her.

this is totally worth 8 ken jennings wins

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
:golfclap: working breaking bad in there

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
the funniest thing about the whole sarkeesian thing is all those people making the simultaneous realization that simply subscribing to feminism does not automatically make someone intelligent or insightful no matter how hard they posture

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

how do you find this poo poo? I mean all I learned from this thread is there is a women named Anita who makes videos about misogyny in games and it sends gamers into a maddening rage. That's where it ends... do you search out anything related to this so as to find something you dislike? And all I see are zelda pics?? are we in the same world how on earth does this upset you

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I don't get how the genderbent universe equivalent of Ganondorf is Ganondorf dressed like mr. peanut

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

god dammit

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
"i'm such a good person" -a terrible person

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Like, a lack of agency does not diminish nor weaken a woman's importance in the plot by default. Look at Skyler White in Breaking Bad--and ignoring the actress decrying those who disliked her as misogynists, at least for the moment. She has very little agency throughout the story, and by season 5 she is essentially a hostage to the plot that by and large requires her in no meaningful way, but her importance to the show is not lessened because her lack of agency presents a great deal of the emotional angst of the surrounding characters' descent into evil. As she slowly loses her moral high ground and enters into illegal dealings like Walt does--with even LESS actual success--her lack of agency is not a prop to objectify her with poor writing, but an actual literal and metaphorical binding that shackles her to the ongoing train wreck that her life has become.

I'm not reading most of this but she's been pretty upfront about how it's literally supposed to be Feminism 101 because most people who shovel games down their gaping maws don't even think that hard about what they're playing, as evidenced by the outrage that she dare criticize games even that much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lol. The thing about Mirror's Edge control scheme was fake, sorry. Also, please, never unironically post videos from youtube.

E: Also, lmao. It's like you didn't even watch her videos.

E2: Diaz is a hack.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

I would legitimately play a Zelda game where you play as Zelda. Seems pretty cool to me actually.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm not reading most of this but she's been pretty upfront about how it's literally supposed to be Feminism 101 because most people who shovel games down their gaping maws don't even think that hard about what they're playing, as evidenced by the outrage that she dare criticize games even that much.

please read it all

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Not this again please

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

the funniest thing about the whole sarkeesian thing is all those people making the simultaneous realization that simply subscribing to feminism does not automatically make someone intelligent or insightful no matter how hard they posture

nor does it get them laid which i suspect is a prime motive for some people (nathan "eternally weeping" grayson)

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Literally every argument about Anita boils down to "do you enjoy the nerd rage caused by Anita's videos or are you actually feeling enlightened by the college entry level garbage she's passing off as important critical analysis of video games", and most people say A, with the people saying B turning out to be the biggest laughing stocks possible

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Supernorn posted:

I would legitimately play a Zelda game where you play as Zelda. Seems pretty cool to me actually.

same but the one posted is really bad and doesn't fit with the zelda universe at all

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
misandry

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lovely Wizard posted:

Literally every argument about Anita boils down to "do you enjoy the nerd rage caused by Anita's videos or are you actually feeling enlightened by the college entry level garbage she's passing off as important critical analysis of video games", and most people say A, with the people saying B turning out to be the biggest laughing stocks possible

i'm in the A group but since I just learned how much money her kickstarter got I'm more upset at that than anything

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

please read it all

"Why didn't she go more in-depth in her videos that have people freaking out over the most benign criticism, videos that she was upfront about being Fem 101: Video Games Edition because she knew people were loving idiots" - a good criticism from a smart person

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

steampunk gender swaps are art

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like how "college entry level" is like a bad thing. She makes insightful videos that point out commonplace stereotypes that are overused in video games. Her work is fine, I love how upset it makes people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm in the A group but since I just learned how much money her kickstarter got I'm more upset at that than anything

If you're really upset jut start a kickstarter of your own. It worked for that girl who made a board game then went back and said Ra the sun god told her not to release it cause it uses his secrets. Your own kickstarter, gofundme, or patreon can be to quit your job so you can moderate full time.

• Locked thread