Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Also why aren't you putting onions in there onions belong there put onions in.

Wisdom.

Also, herbs, spices, garlic, mirepoix, stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to make kickin rad garlic butter dipping sauce because I'm fat.

I'm thinking of making a butter from cream using garlic salt and a bit of granulated garlic, but throwing in some olive oil (maybe a garlic olive oil?) towards the end to thin it out and an emulsifier if it breaks.

Good idea, bad idea?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm thinking of making a butter from cream using garlic salt and a bit of granulated garlic, but throwing in some olive oil (maybe a garlic olive oil?) towards the end to thin it out and an emulsifier if it breaks.

Good idea, bad idea?

I don't think you want to add garlic olive oil to that, maybe a regular one yes.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I should not drink and post basically. Ham hocks are a great idea. And onions. Why did I not put onions in? I put onions in just about everything and it didn't occur to me, so I might have brain problems. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flaggy posted:

I was given a 16lb pork belly and we have more at work. What should I do with it? If I need more I can grab what I want, we have about 100lbs to give away.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423

Learn the secrets of bacon here. That's an awesome hookup you have there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SavTargaryen posted:

I should not drink and post basically. Ham hocks are a great idea. And onions. Why did I not put onions in? I put onions in just about everything and it didn't occur to me, so I might have brain problems. Thanks!

Sssh, it's going to be okay. There can be healing from this.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Good idea, bad idea?

Instead of garlic salt and powder, make garlic confit. Cream a few cloves of the garlic and add that to the butter with regular salt. Microplaning a bit of raw garlic into it would probably be nice.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Does greek yogurt freeze well? The little 7oz containers of fage are on sale for $1/ea which is cheaper per ounce than the largest tub (which is also on sale, but still not cheaper). Being able to buy a bunch of those, chuck them in the freezer, then throw 1-2 in my bag for lunch would be an awesomely convenient thing.

vv sweet, thanks.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 28, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ladyweapon posted:

Does greek yogurt freeze well? The little 7oz containers of fage are on sale for $1/ea which is cheaper per ounce than the largest tub (which is also on sale, but still not cheaper). Being able to buy a bunch of those, chuck them in the freezer, then throw 1-2 in my bag for lunch would be an awesomely convenient thing.

http://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-greek-yogurt/

edit: there are zillions of websites out there that you can find just by googling "how long does X last in the fridge?" or "how should I store X?" or "does X freeze well?" or "does X go bad?" or "can I feed X to my dog?"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 28, 2014

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Being a not regular poster, and this being for recipe requests and quick questions:

We are having a backyard BBQ this weekend, and I decided to bring ribs. I have 3 racks to prepare and what I'm finding is advice is so random and divided on the "Proper" way that I'm a little flustered.

It would be awesome to get some goon recommendations for a sweet BBQ sauce marinade recipe (Hell even using a base of simple BBQ sauce works), and I was looking for a dry rub recipe.

We bought a set of pre-marinated ribs with Apple Cinnamon from the butcher, and figured we should try our hand on the rest. Looking to do a rack in a sauce and a rack in a dry rub at least. Considering doing 2 in a dry rub since we have 2 sauced ribs, so if there are 2 dry rubs that are recommended that works too!

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Being a not regular poster, and this being for recipe requests and quick questions:

We are having a backyard BBQ this weekend, and I decided to bring ribs. I have 3 racks to prepare and what I'm finding is advice is so random and divided on the "Proper" way that I'm a little flustered.

It would be awesome to get some goon recommendations for a sweet BBQ sauce marinade recipe (Hell even using a base of simple BBQ sauce works), and I was looking for a dry rub recipe.

We bought a set of pre-marinated ribs with Apple Cinnamon from the butcher, and figured we should try our hand on the rest. Looking to do a rack in a sauce and a rack in a dry rub at least. Considering doing 2 in a dry rub since we have 2 sauced ribs, so if there are 2 dry rubs that are recommended that works too!

If you haven't already, check out the BBQ thread. Lot of good info and the goons in there (including myself) will gladly help. If you want to, you can PM me or email me at my handle at gmail.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I just moved from sea level to a mile above sea level and I am terrified. My new kitchen is gorgeous but I am scared to cook anything too complex in it because AAAHHHH, WATER BOILS AT A LOWER TEMPERATURE, AHHH.

Can someone help me figure out how to compensate for altitude? One batch of beans has already come out underdone, and I am too scared to even begin bread baking again. I'm not looking for recipes, just rules of thumb or guidelines.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nicol Bolas posted:

So I just moved from sea level to a mile above sea level and I am terrified. My new kitchen is gorgeous but I am scared to cook anything too complex in it because AAAHHHH, WATER BOILS AT A LOWER TEMPERATURE, AHHH.

Can someone help me figure out how to compensate for altitude? One batch of beans has already come out underdone, and I am too scared to even begin bread baking again. I'm not looking for recipes, just rules of thumb or guidelines.

Adjustments are different for different sorts of cooking, but generally it's a matter of using longer cooking times and sometimes higher heats.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I lived in Albuquerque for a year and it took me 9 months to figure out why my bread wasn't cooking right...

Just cook it a little longer really for the most part.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Kind of a random question, but does anyone have a good recipe for making pani ca meusa at home? I figure it is pretty simple, but I just don't know what seasonings and I've never really cooked with spleen and lungs. I definitely have a place I can get offal. I should have a place for the bread and cheese (god bless northern new jersey). If I don't, good bread and cheese subs?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

My wife "discovered" chimichurri sauce while on vacation. I now need a good chimichurri sauce recipe. Suggestions?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer chimichurri with cilantro instead of parsley but a mix of the two works well. I add some oil, splash of vinegar and some red pepper flakes and blitz it in the food processor

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you have some fresh oregano throw that in as well.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Nicol Bolas posted:

Welcome to Denver(?). I've lived at the mile high altitude all my life and I have seen very few things entirely ruined due to altitude. Like Mr. Wiggles said, most boiled things just take a little longer to cook, especially beans and boiled eggs (I've never had a problem with pastas or rice, though having always lived here I don't know if the texture of rice differs at sea level). As for baking, KAF has a guide that you can use as a starting point.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I never had a fresh mackerel, I do like them smoked and steamed (a lot), so now I want to stick a fresh mackerel in the oven to see how it tastes.

Questions:

- does mackerel need to be descaled?

- will the mackerel taste good in this recipe, or should I use a sea bass for it and find myself another recipe for the mackerel?
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/whole-stuffed-roast-fish-fennel

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Would mashed potatoes or egg noodles be a better starch to accompany beef burgundy?

Is this a good recipe for a first timer?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Boeuf-Bourguignon-104754

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Annath posted:

Would mashed potatoes or egg noodles be a better starch to accompany beef burgundy?

if i had to choose, I'd choose boiled potatoes myself.
or even better: the restaurant I had boef bourguignon at a couple of times, served it in one person bowls with a hugh puff pastry cap...that was really nice to eat the boef bourguignon with

the recipe sounds decent

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Annath posted:

Mashed potatoes would be infinitely superior to noodles. Dauphinoise would be even better.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
My cucumbers this year are really bitter. Does pickling at all reduce bitterness. Even with the ends and skin off, they're not very good otherwise.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

paraquat posted:

if i had to choose, I'd choose boiled potatoes myself.
or even better: the restaurant I had boef bourguignon at a couple of times, served it in one person bowls with a hugh puff pastry cap...that was really nice to eat the boef bourguignon with

the recipe sounds decent

Unfortunately, puff pastry is beyond my skills at this time :(

But mashed potatoes it is! I personally am not a huge fan of boiled potatoes, and since this is my birthday dinner, I don't feel too bad about skirting tradition.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Annath posted:

But mashed potatoes it is! I personally am not a huge fan of boiled potatoes, and since this is my birthday dinner, I don't feel too bad about skirting tradition.

Puff pastry from the supermarket fridge is easy, just thaw and apply ;-)
But the mashed potatoes will be awesome!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

paraquat posted:

Puff pastry from the supermarket fridge is easy, just thaw and apply ;-)
But the mashed potatoes will be awesome!

TIL you can buy pre-made puff pastry.

But I'm working until 5 so I'm still sticking with my mashed potatoes.

I'm actually really excited. I'm having a bunch of people from my nursing program over for a late lunch/early dinner tomorrow.

Will 3lbs of beef be enough for 9 people plus 2 little kids, or should I buy more on my way home tonight?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

paraquat posted:

I never had a fresh mackerel, I do like them smoked and steamed (a lot), so now I want to stick a fresh mackerel in the oven to see how it tastes.

Questions:

- does mackerel need to be descaled?

- will the mackerel taste good in this recipe, or should I use a sea bass for it and find myself another recipe for the mackerel?
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/whole-stuffed-roast-fish-fennel

You should descale it. Recipe looks fine. I prefer just salt, pepper, lemon slices and maybe some chili flakes or fresh chili slices.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Annath posted:

But I'm working until 5 so I'm still sticking with my mashed potatoes.

I'm actually really excited. I'm having a bunch of people from my nursing program over for a late lunch/early dinner tomorrow.

Will 3lbs of beef be enough for 9 people plus 2 little kids, or should I buy more on my way home tonight?

3lbs will be cutting it close for a main. I'd buy more and have leftovers. Leftover bourg. is delicious.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Wroughtirony posted:

3lbs will be cutting it close for a main. I'd buy more and have leftovers. Leftover bourg. is delicious.

Another pound? Or maybe two?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You should descale it. Recipe looks fine. I prefer just salt, pepper, lemon slices and maybe some chili flakes or fresh chili slices.

Oke, thank you!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So me and the wife are going to japan next weekend. Specifically kyoto and osaka. Any good recommendations for a good place to eat kobe beef?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Annath posted:

It's pretty loving magical. Defrost it, stick basically ANYTHING in it (savory or sweet), bake. You can make awesome party snacks by punching out little squares.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is premade puff pastry different in quality than the Pillsbury canned stuff, or is that what it is?

I've never really associated those canned bread doughs with health or quality.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

Is premade puff pastry different in quality than the Pillsbury canned stuff, or is that what it is?

The frozen packs are better in my opinion.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Drifter posted:

Yeah it's better than that stuff. I mean the frozen sheets of it are pretty good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Annath posted:

Mashed is a great choice and dauphinois as mentioned would also rock. But if puff pastry sounds good but too complicated for you, some muffin tin popovers would also work pretty well. Because popovers rule.

Anyway, I just made a corn soufflé and my wife has handed me this recipe for lemon soufflé with raspberry compote with orders to make it next week.

Not being particularly versed in double-checking soufflé recipes, does that look like a good one or is there better?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

vuk83 posted:

So me and the wife are going to japan next weekend. Specifically kyoto and osaka. Any good recommendations for a good place to eat kobe beef?
Ask the fine folks in this thread. They got the cure for what ails you.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Does anybody have a good recipe for fesenjan, that persian walnut and pomegranate stew? I was going to mash a few recipes of it together but it might be good to hear from somebody with actual experience cooking Persian food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of pastry, I was making some savory meat pies this weekend. Plain pie dough, circles folded in half, like an empanada. I baked some in the home oven, and the dough cooked up properly. But when I baked them in a commercial pizza oven, the top piece of dough ballooned up, so that when you cut them open, there was this sort of cavern in there.

Whats the solution? I'm thinking lower oven temp. I baked them at 400, so maybe 350. And perforating the top with a spikey wheel instead of two knife stabs.