Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AzureSkys posted:

(Planenfreude)

I'm out in Vegas for work, coming home on a red-eye. I sit down, aisle seat a few rows behind the emergency exit row. Guy in a rumpled suit dragging his carryon comes down the aisle, he's clearly drunk as a skunk. He tries to shove his carryon into to the overhead, lengthwise, and it's too long to fit. He pulls it out and tries again. If he turns it 90 degrees it will fit, but that's beyond him in his current state. He pulls it out and tries again. He's *slamming* it into the back of the overhead. He keeps this up for a couple long minutes, and then just leaves it sticking halfway out of the overhead and sits down in the last available seat in the exit row.

A few minutes later, the woman who actually has the ticket for that seat shows up and asks him to move to his seat. He basically shakes her off. "I'm gonna stay here." She gets a flight attendant, who repeats the request. "No. I'm staying here." She says that if he doesn't move, she'll get the captain. He still refuses. Captain comes back down the isle and declares "You can either move from this seat and sit in yours, or you can sit in the terminal." He still refuses to move.

So they call the cops on him. Two airport cops show up, and I'm guessing these were the two cops who, if you need to pull an unruly drunk off an airplane, get the call every time. Because they are loving huge. They have to turn sideways and shuffle down the aisle because they're too goddamned wide to fit like a normal person. They loom over the guy, who has to crane his neck up to take them in fully. The closer one says, basso profundo, "We can do this two ways. You can either leave the airplane on your own, or we will remove you." He actually gives this a moment's consideration before nodding and saying "I'll leave."

He leaves. Leaving his carryon behind, still sticking out of the overhead compartment. We're about 10 minutes late pulling away from the gate because of this. Captain gets on the PA and says "Folks, we apologize for the delay, but as you all know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Queueing theory is a weird field :science:. Humans are horribly irrational and inefficient, often willingly so. There are way more efficient ways to board planes or construct checkout lines at the grocery store, and we know what they are....but we still refuse to implement them (except for Best Buy, for some strange reason they're the only store that has adopted a common queue feeding to multiple registers, which is the best model). Same goes for the way we drive, but that one is a bit more counter-intuitive and requires a bit more cooperation.

Not really schadenfreude though...except I guess when I get in line behind the old lady with the massive cart of groceries and check out before the clever ones who got in the line of 5 people with 3 items each (protip: the strongest variable in queue speed is the number of transactions, not the number of items per transaction).

Wrong. The biggest variable is how loving slow the checker is. I've seen some of these fuckers that take 3-4 times as long to scan poo poo as the one next to them.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Queueing theory is a weird field :science:. Humans are horribly irrational and inefficient, often willingly so. There are way more efficient ways to board planes or construct checkout lines at the grocery store, and we know what they are....but we still refuse to implement them (except for Best Buy, for some strange reason they're the only store that has adopted a common queue feeding to multiple registers, which is the best model). Same goes for the way we drive, but that one is a bit more counter-intuitive and requires a bit more cooperation.

Not really schadenfreude though...except I guess when I get in line behind the old lady with the massive cart of groceries and check out before the clever ones who got in the line of 5 people with 3 items each (protip: the strongest variable in queue speed is the number of transactions, not the number of items per transaction).

Common queue lowers the maximum waiting time because nobody gets stuck behind grandma, but it does so while sacrificing average checkout time quite a bit. It's inefficient. For every single customer, a checker has to wait for them to recognize the lane's availability, walk to the checker station, and unload their items. That can be up to half of the checker's time wasted in waiting. Plus, by comparison, they lose one potential checker lane because one person is needed to direct the queue.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The solution is to have the person at the front of the line stay conscious enough to notice a customer ahead of them leaving the line, or the cashier hopping up and down with his arm in the air and bellowing "NEXT PLEASE"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Why not do it the way that M&S do it in the UK - or for that matter any bank or post office I have been to anywhere in the world. Numbered tills and a voice that tells the next person to go to till number such-and-such as it is now free.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Meatwave posted:

Common queue lowers the maximum waiting time because nobody gets stuck behind grandma, but it does so while sacrificing average checkout time quite a bit. It's inefficient. For every single customer, a checker has to wait for them to recognize the lane's availability, walk to the checker station, and unload their items. That can be up to half of the checker's time wasted in waiting. Plus, by comparison, they lose one potential checker lane because one person is needed to direct the queue.

I'll have to dig up the papers I've read, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect for a reason I can't remember.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think Party City also works like that, for some reason.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Phanatic posted:

I'm out in Vegas for work, coming home on a red-eye. I sit down, aisle seat a few rows behind the emergency exit row. Guy in a rumpled suit dragging his carryon comes down the aisle, he's clearly drunk as a skunk. He tries to shove his carryon into to the overhead, lengthwise, and it's too long to fit. He pulls it out and tries again. If he turns it 90 degrees it will fit, but that's beyond him in his current state. He pulls it out and tries again. He's *slamming* it into the back of the overhead. He keeps this up for a couple long minutes, and then just leaves it sticking halfway out of the overhead and sits down in the last available seat in the exit row.

A few minutes later, the woman who actually has the ticket for that seat shows up and asks him to move to his seat. He basically shakes her off. "I'm gonna stay here." She gets a flight attendant, who repeats the request. "No. I'm staying here." She says that if he doesn't move, she'll get the captain. He still refuses. Captain comes back down the isle and declares "You can either move from this seat and sit in yours, or you can sit in the terminal." He still refuses to move.

So they call the cops on him. Two airport cops show up, and I'm guessing these were the two cops who, if you need to pull an unruly drunk off an airplane, get the call every time. Because they are loving huge. They have to turn sideways and shuffle down the aisle because they're too goddamned wide to fit like a normal person. They loom over the guy, who has to crane his neck up to take them in fully. The closer one says, basso profundo, "We can do this two ways. You can either leave the airplane on your own, or we will remove you." He actually gives this a moment's consideration before nodding and saying "I'll leave."

He leaves. Leaving his carryon behind, still sticking out of the overhead compartment. We're about 10 minutes late pulling away from the gate because of this. Captain gets on the PA and says "Folks, we apologize for the delay, but as you all know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Did you steal his bag? Mighta had some good stuff in it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Why not do it the way that M&S do it in the UK - or for that matter any bank or post office I have been to anywhere in the world. Numbered tills and a voice that tells the next person to go to till number such-and-such as it is now free.

Because then it is like the DMV here in the US and "OH MY GOD WHEN IS MY NUMBER BEING CALLED JESUS CHRIST :argh:"

Same goes for the deli counter at the local supermarket.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

They've got a pretty slick system at Lund's in Minneapolis. Common queue, and when the cashier becomes free he/she hits a button that says, "Please proceed to register... [4]".

It is annoying as hell though when I'm making eye contact with the cashier and start towards him, and he still presses that button. Just habit I guess.

VVVV - Mm, very good point. It just ruffled me because it felt really impersonal, but yeah, I'm just being persnickety.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Aug 28, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Captain Lavender posted:

They've got a pretty slick system at Lund's in Minneapolis. Common queue, and when the cashier becomes free he/she hits a button that says, "Please proceed to register... [4]".

It is annoying as hell though when I'm making eye contact with the cashier and start towards him, and he still presses that button. Just habit I guess.

Probably also tracking systems to collect data, like the timers at fast food windows.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Meatwave posted:

Or they do it like they do at Whole Foods here, and have 3 common lines that are color coded and it has a giant TV that is activated by each register and visually shows you where to go. Super efficient. I love it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Clearly none of you have ever been trapped behind someone with a binder full of coupons that takes 15-20 minutes to get checked out.

It's actually really funny to watch if you're not in line. I was waiting for my wife to finish shopping, and saw someone in line disputing the price of something with the cashier. I saw maybe 5 people trot up to the line (shortest line and only one person in front of me! hooray!). Then they figure out after a few minutes that this was going to take a while, admit defeat, and head over to a different line.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Clearly none of you have ever been trapped behind someone with a binder full of coupons that takes 15-20 minutes to get checked out.

It's actually really funny to watch if you're not in line. I was waiting for my wife to finish shopping, and saw someone in line disputing the price of something with the cashier. I saw maybe 5 people trot up to the line (shortest line and only one person in front of me! hooray!). Then they figure out after a few minutes that this was going to take a while, admit defeat, and head over to a different line.

I feel like the modern smartphone is the perfect answer to this kind of problem. Oh, this is going to take awhile, let's read some SA on my phone.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I get annoyed at the Target by me. They have four express lanes lined up side-by-side. The way Target wants it to work is that everyone gets in separate lines for each register. What normally happens is people get into one common line and then proceed to the first open one. It all goes to hell when you've got like 5 people lined up in a common line, and then someone just walks around them and gets right in line at a specific register. I'd prefer the common line, and I keep thinking the Target needs to have someone out there directing people where to go. Frustrating every time I go there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Politician takes ice bucket challenge standing next to a cannabis plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOA3xXR8tI

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

Politician takes ice bucket challenge standing next to a cannabis plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOA3xXR8tI
There is absolutely no way that's unintentional. Or in fact much of a big deal in Berlin.

e: where I live there's a post office where they managed to set up two separate common queues side by side. I think one is supposed to be for postal service and the other for banking but they do both at every counter.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Aug 28, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Meltathon posted:

I get annoyed at the Target by me. They have four express lanes lined up side-by-side. The way Target wants it to work is that everyone gets in separate lines for each register. What normally happens is people get into one common line and then proceed to the first open one. It all goes to hell when you've got like 5 people lined up in a common line, and then someone just walks around them and gets right in line at a specific register. I'd prefer the common line, and I keep thinking the Target needs to have someone out there directing people where to go. Frustrating every time I go there.

I hate how Target killed off a line of registers in every location near me for self-service registers (which I love), then resigned themselves to a world where those registers are invariably broken and will never be repaired again.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Apparently, this is what happens when you push yourself too hard to break a bench-press world record:

Source video, with the action starting at 2:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TDtp4ubWYk

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I'm friends with lots of photographers on Facebook. One gal does pictures of crazily dressed and / or partially dressed people in various abandoned buildings. Unfortunately, she decided that "unoccupied vacation home" counted as abandoned. When the owners returned and found her inside with two other people, they called the police.

This facebook page has more of the drama, for those that might want to read more about it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheUrbexMemester

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is absolutely no way that's unintentional. Or in fact much of a big deal in Berlin.

It was intentional, but it is "possibly" a big deal

http://www.thelocal.de/20140828/green-party-leader-films-ice-bucket-challenge-with-cannabis-plant

quote:

Only hemp that can't be smoked as a drug is allowed to be grown in Germany and the plant still has to be reported to authorities.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

She's already raised all the funds. The most infuriating part are the comments from people making GBS threads on the people who called the cops. Yes, how dare those assholes call the police on trespassers. Don't you know that when you're not in a house for 5 days it automatically becomes public property?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pagan posted:

I'm friends with lots of photographers on Facebook. One gal does pictures of crazily dressed and / or partially dressed people in various abandoned buildings. Unfortunately, she decided that "unoccupied vacation home" counted as abandoned. When the owners returned and found her inside with two other people, they called the police.

This facebook page has more of the drama, for those that might want to read more about it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheUrbexMemester

What the gently caress is that page? I can't even figure out what it is supposed to be for.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's reddit dogshit pasted overtop of a kickstarter/gofundme type thing so an idiot can beg the internet for help paying to get off on charges of breaking into a stranger's home so she could take some kooky urbex photographs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The schadenfreude is that there's an urbex "community" big enough to warrant the making of a parody facebook page.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Gorilla Salad posted:

There was a series on New Zealand cops and you have never seen more polite police and criminals in your entire life.

What I learned from this is that Flight of the Conchords is an accurate representation of New Zealanders.

flakeloaf posted:

Crossposting from the Amber forum: Dad gets tired of his layabout kid sitting there playing video games and decides to run them over with a lawnmower. If I'd thrown a tantrum like the one the kid does after finding out what's about to happen, I'm pretty sure I would have spent some time unconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUhY8JY-cA

e: it might be fake but who cares, pretend suffering is still entertaining
What I learned from this is that there are people in the world who think that playing videos games is a real job? I mean I know there are people online who review games and stuff and they can make some money but seriously? This is like me in high school thinking that I could make a living as a novelist. Also that is some high-quality misery.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

canyoneer posted:

Is this the schadenfreude? That you work for a company that buys you bottom tier flight seats and you're a big whiny baby?

No, it's morons spouting off like they actually know poo poo about anything outside their man cave.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yeah, gently caress anybody who wants to be comfortable and use their chair's features

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't get to do that, as all my flights are booked by my company, and no alterations are permitted due to the contract they have with the airline to get cheap rates. If I'm lucky , I can get the emergency exit row.

In closing, gently caress you.

The emergency exit row is the stretch seating in most planes. Ask your company to get the emergency seating for you next time so you aren't an insufferable prick.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, it's morons spouting off like they actually know poo poo about anything outside their man cave.

My best friend is 6'4" and can't comfortably fit into a standard seating space. His company is flying him all over the country. Guess what? They buy him an exit seat because he spoke to HR or whoever about the issue and they decided that having their employees travel comfortably is a way to go. Perhaps you should speak with someone too.

Also, the inventor and distributor of Knee Defender was interviewed on NPR yesterday. He said that the very first thing in the instruction manual is a request to not inconvenience other passengers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nitrox posted:

Also, the inventor and distributor of Knee Defender was interviewed on NPR yesterday. He said that the very first thing in the instruction manual is a request to not inconvenience other passengers.

That's like that warning that comes with guns that tells you not to shoot the gun at all.

I mean seriously, the only possible usage of the Knee Defender is to stop someone from reclining. If they want to recline and you let them, you bought the Knee Defender for nothing. If they don't want to recline, your Knee Defender does nothing. It's a bullshit statement from a bullshit man. A crappy bullshit man.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
gently caress queues shoplift erryday

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

snortpocket posted:

gently caress queues shoplift erryday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBC6xPvkBF8

if you aren't stealing everything what are you doing?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nitrox posted:

My best friend is 6'4" and can't comfortably fit into a standard seating space. His company is flying him all over the country. Guess what? They buy him an exit seat because he spoke to HR or whoever about the issue and they decided that having their employees travel comfortably is a way to go. Perhaps you should speak with someone too.

Also if you sign up for a miles program you usually get upgraded for free after awhile if you fly a lot. After the first 6 months of this year almost every flight is first class, at no extra cost to the company. Plenty of leg room up in first, not to mention the free drinks.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think it's schadenfreude that your company gives you worse travel accommodations than I get, and I'm a lowly grad student.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://imgur.com/a/3fMih?gallery

Cute animals being afraid of stuff.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I enjoy all this plane schadenfreude as I am 6'3", but my legs are really short. Like, my 5'5" wife hAs the same inseam.
Can't jump for poo poo, but I've never had a problem with my motherfucking legs on a motherfucking plane.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I enjoy all this plane schadenfreude as I am 6'3", but my legs are really short. Like, my 5'5" wife hAs the same inseam.
Can't jump for poo poo, but I've never had a problem with my motherfucking legs on a motherfucking plane.

What's up long torso buddy! Rocking the XLT t-shirts. Same thing with me. 6'2". 30" inseam. They say the average person's inseam is 45% of their height. Mine is 40%.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
so when you guys go out do you look like two midgets stacked on top of each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

snortpocket posted:

so when you guys go out do you look like two midgets stacked on top of each other

I enclose a photo of myself for reference.

• Locked thread