Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cenodoxus posted:

Official SH/SC Dickchat Thread Twenty-Fourteen

More dickchat that pisses you off: My boss said I don't scream enough

... I think we're donge here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
This topic has gone on long and hard enough. We really shouldn't make it a thing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cenodoxus posted:

On an unrelated note, one of my blade servers went down overnight. ILO was online but the system wouldn't respond to the virtual or physical power buttons. The data center technician pulled out the blade, blew into the connectors, popped it back in and it booted up fine.
This is actually terrible for the contacts.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Every time a germ conversation comes up it reminds me of this George Carlin bit about germs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

this is weird guys

Just add some choking noises and we'll have a jerkcity strip.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Silly goonz posting on a comedy web forum something awful dot com llc.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

internet jerk posted:

These realizations are pretty much on level with any other important scientific factual discoveries. My whole outlook changed today.

Look, damnit, we said no PSTs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well my 240 hours are up and I completed my contract. All went well and they where happy with my services and want me back in 6 months or so. Thanks local gigantic fortune 500 tech company, you did me well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evol262 posted:

This is actually terrible for the contacts.

If it works, there's no problem :colbert:

E: Just got told that the owner of the company has been funnelling all the profits into his other company and that's why we don't get new equipment. This explains so, so much.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 28, 2014

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yay, I've just gotten a "yes, let's proceed with the integration" response; 6 months and 10 days after I've done my bit, sent in the requirements and questions to the client.

Now I need to install the self-signed SSL certificates (because why would I even want some sort of testing environment), install lovely API's and read the documentation all over again, because, yes, there're additional requirements I need to code in.

:bang:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
PsExec is amazing! Since we have almost no AD access its great to still do stuff remotely on our PCs. Also how the gently caress does it work without any client?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

PsExec is amazing! Since we have almost no AD access its great to still do stuff remotely on our PCs. Also how the gently caress does it work without any client?
It installs a service on the remote machine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

It installs a service on the remote machine.

Ah. Also, a weird thing I noticed: if I type \\name I get access denied, \\name\ works fine. The exploded name is even listed as name\ in that case.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
We recently updated our ticket system for onboarding new contractors--making network accounts, establishing access, etc. Part of the process is for the requesting supervisor to indicate 1) the start date of the contractor and 2) the end date. Makes sense, right?

I've now seen at least a dozen instances of supervisors putting in the same date for the start and end date. So it winds up looking like:

User's First Day of Work: 8/14/2014
User's Last Day/Termination Date: 8/14/2014

Mind you, these are not one day assignments. These are contractors who are here for up to a year. :psyduck: The tech folks changed the ticket to prevent putting in the same start and end date, so now what happens? Users are putting an end date the day after the start date. For 1- to 6-month assignments.

In every instance where I've asked a user why they did this, the universal reply is "I dunno." Not "I was confused" or "I put a different date, it must be a bug!" Just "I dunno why I did this stupid thing." We are now changing the ticket to require at least a 1-week difference between start and end dates.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

The Macaroni posted:

We recently updated our ticket system for onboarding new contractors--making network accounts, establishing access, etc. Part of the process is for the requesting supervisor to indicate 1) the start date of the contractor and 2) the end date. Makes sense, right?

I've now seen at least a dozen instances of supervisors putting in the same date for the start and end date. So it winds up looking like:

Mind you, these are not one day assignments. These are contractors who are here for up to a year. :psyduck: The tech folks changed the ticket to prevent putting in the same start and end date, so now what happens? Users are putting an end date the day after the start date. For 1- to 6-month assignments.

In every instance where I've asked a user why they did this, the universal reply is "I dunno." Not "I was confused" or "I put a different date, it must be a bug!" Just "I dunno why I did this stupid thing." We are now changing the ticket to require at least a 1-week difference between start and end dates.

Then they are going to start putting one week differences. Going to be fun terminating those contractors access, then when they ask why, you can point at the ticket.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is one of my main gripes with my job now. Supervisors putting in new hire requests the day of or before a person is supposed to start. Then they bring the person by asking for their equipment. Makes us look like assholes and then we have to drop everything to get them ready. No matter how many meetings we seem to have with department heads and HR people just cant seem to get it. We've done everything we can to speed up the process, having equipment on hand, speeding up the imaging sequence, etc. Still happens and pisses me off to no end. Everyone knows its supposed to be 2 weeks and it never seems to happen. Managers are so bad about getting in paperwork that they have actually pressured a women in HR to forge signatures on hire agreements so that they can get people started right away.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

You terminate access on the date specified right?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is one of my main gripes with my job now. Supervisors putting in new hire requests the day of or before a person is supposed to start. Then they bring the person by asking for their equipment. Makes us look like assholes and then we have to drop everything to get them ready. No matter how many meetings we seem to have with department heads and HR people just cant seem to get it. We've done everything we can to speed up the process, having equipment on hand, speeding up the imaging sequence, etc. Still happens and pisses me off to no end. Everyone knows its supposed to be 2 weeks and it never seems to happen. Managers are so bad about getting in paperwork that they have actually pressured a women in HR to forge signatures on hire agreements so that they can get people started right away.

I usually get angry emails asking why a user doesn't have an account yet. Apparently I'm just supposed to know when we hire new people.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Holy poo poo, that's illegal as poo poo.

Where I am, we have a two week policy and we enforce it.

Got an intern that starts today? Tough poo poo. We'll get to it when we can, and if you throw a fit, you get to explain to your boss why you didn't do your job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Charge their department for every incident, if you can get that to stick. Otherwise, take your SLA and stick with it like an rear end in a top hat. Make sure the new hire knows that you weren't given time.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Demonachizer posted:

You terminate access on the date specified right?
Yup, and that's when I hear about it.

:downs:: WHY CAN'T I SEE MY NEW HIRES? I GOT THE EMAIL RIGHT HERE SAYING THEIR ACCOUNT WOULD BE CREATED

:rolleyes:: Because you entered the termination date wrong and so the system created their account then promptly shut it down at the end of the day. The system worked as intended, and that's why you got that notification email. May I ask what was confusing about the date entry system? We'd like to fix it if it's not clear.

:downs:: [actual quote from email]OK, I don’t know how I could have done that with the end date. I’m currently trying to onboard [a lot of people].

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

The Macaroni posted:

Yup, and that's when I hear about it.

:downs:: WHY CAN'T I SEE MY NEW HIRES? I GOT THE EMAIL RIGHT HERE SAYING THEIR ACCOUNT WOULD BE CREATED

:rolleyes:: Because you entered the termination date wrong and so the system created their account then promptly shut it down at the end of the day. The system worked as intended, and that's why you got that notification email. May I ask what was confusing about the date entry system? We'd like to fix it if it's not clear.

:downs:: [actual quote from email]OK, I don’t know how I could have done that with the end date. I’m currently trying to onboard [a lot of people].

This is the case where you can't fix "stupid". At this point, you might have to use the "dog's nose" approach.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
There's always the option to lock out the supervisor and create the new hires' account on that machine...

..with the default two-week wait for a new one, of course.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Any of the solutions that might make people wake up and give a poo poo would require IT to not be the bitch department of the business.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Supervisors putting in new hire requests the day of or before a person is supposed to start. Then they bring the person by asking for their equipment. Makes us look like assholes and then we have to drop everything to get them ready.
We have this, plus 'John Smith? He quit months ago!"

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Looks like I'm not getting the job that I'm absolutely perfect for simply because the Head of Operations is planning on retiring and I don't want his job. They would rather have someone else run the IT department for 1 - 3 years that is planning on moving over to the department head. I'm kind of really pissed off at this.

Also, gently caress VirtualBox. We have Hyper-V and for some reason the domain admins before me set everything up with VirtualBox instead. I can't wait until I'm done with this conversion process.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Helushune posted:

Also, gently caress VirtualBox. We have Hyper-V and for some reason the domain admins before me set everything up with VirtualBox instead. I can't wait until I'm done with this conversion process.

Virtualbox is very good at what it does, but what it does is NOT enterprise-grade, in-production virtualization. Sounds like they used the wrong tool for the job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

capitalpunctuation posted:

Virtualbox is very good at what it does, but what it does is NOT enterprise-grade, in-production virtualization. Sounds like they used the wrong tool for the job.

Oracle would disagree with you.

While the age of the type 2 hypervisor has passed, it wasn't so long ago that GSX and analogues were common, and tools like vboxmanage are explicitly aimed at this use case (enterprise-grade, in-production virtualization). There are a lot of other products which are more suitable in 2014, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evol262 posted:

Oracle would disagree with you.

While the age of the type 2 hypervisor has passed, it wasn't so long ago that GSX and analogues were common, and tools like vboxmanage are explicitly aimed at this use case (enterprise-grade, in-production virtualization). There are a lot of other products which are more suitable in 2014, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

I don't have any experience with virtual box outside of the desktop software I have used to make test vm's on workstations. Saying that, I would assume that the cost of purchasing commcercial support and hosts designed around virtual box performance can't be that much more of a cost savings than vmware/hyperv. I would think I would have the same headache walking into an environment running on virtual box.

Maybe its this great product I just don't know enough about.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

I don't have any experience with virtual box outside of the desktop software I have used to make test vm's on workstations. Saying that, I would assume that the cost of purchasing commcercial support and hosts designed around virtual box performance can't be that much more of a cost savings than vmware/hyperv. I would think I would have the same headache walking into an environment running on virtual box.

Maybe its this great product I just don't know enough about.

No, it isn't a great product, and there's really no such thing as "hosts designed around virtualbox performance". There's almost no reason to use it instead of Hyper-V or vSphere (though you could make an argument for it against some of VMware's other products, depending) or XenServer or whatever. But it's not consumer-grade garbage, either.

I guess my point isn't that it's a viable alternative to type 1 hypervisors. It's that it actually is "enterprise-grade, in-production virtualization", even if it doesn't compete very well in that space.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

capitalpunctuation posted:

Sounds like they used the wrong tool for the job.

I'm pretty sure this was the motto of all the old network admins before me. My personal favorite is they were using a win32 build of PHP to push out registry settings by a series of logon scripts instead of just doing it in group policy. I'm more pissed off that in order for VirtualBox to do just about anything with the VM, you need to power off the guest first. The performance on vboxmanage's clonehd has been abysmal for me as well.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Fucks sake, I also created a process for this which nobody cares about;
- Fill in a form about who the person is and what they need
- Scan and email to certain address to notify all managers
- If all else fails just give me the form.

It's not hard but nobody bothers, so I end up having to chase them for details when they need it the next day (or god forbid the current day). And what's more annoying is that I have to get orders signed off from the (constantly in meetings) ops director before sending them off, it's not like they want to keep a supply of spares either because money.

People just don't listen or read, today the main printer was being hogged all day so I added another network shared printer for certain people who needed emergency stuff done. One example was a user who was on the phone while I set her up, printer added and I left some instructions on notepad to select this new printer when you want to print, lo and behold a little while later I get asked why isn't the new printer working; because she just kept hitting "Print" on everything rather than select the alternate printer first.

Now I know a lot of people are computer illiterate, but come on! Simple instructions!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When you make a mistake which forces me to drop everything else I'm working on and put in 3 hours of work resolving an issue you've created, and I inform you of completion of same, do you

a) express gratitude and offer a final apology for me to deflect with a cheery "it's no problem!"
or
b) act as though I'm lucky to talk to you, as your job is clearly more important than mine as demonstrated by your ability to create problems but not solve them

If you said B, you may have a place in my, and countless other, companies!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
After hearing all the phone conversations my coworkers and managers are having, I still haven't decided if my employer makes people miserable, or if they just have a knack for hiring miserable people.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Fucks sake, I also created a process for this which nobody cares about;
- Fill in a form about who the person is and what they need
- Scan and email to certain address to notify all managers
- If all else fails just give me the form.

Ours is similar - the MAC (Move, Add or Change) form, which has two very distinct and separate sections to fill out, depending on if it's a new employee or and existing one. Which about 30-40% of the supervisors either fill out using the wrong section, fill out using *both* sections, or some of both.

Oh, it also has a BOLD CAPS section instructing the sender to add the name of the employee to the From: line of the email, "Example - SUBJECT: MAC form for Mickey Mouse".

We have a whole shitload of Mickey on-staff here. :ughh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Ours is similar - the MAC (Move, Add or Change) form, which has two very distinct and separate sections to fill out, depending on if it's a new employee or and existing one. Which about 30-40% of the supervisors either fill out using the wrong section, fill out using *both* sections, or some of both.

Oh, it also has a BOLD CAPS section instructing the sender to add the name of the employee to the From: line of the email, "Example - SUBJECT: MAC form for Mickey Mouse".

Do you work for Disney?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Every time they do that, provision the username, email address, and computer name accordingly.

"Your username is mmouse327. Your email address is mickey.mouse327@company.com. Your computer name is LT-MMOUSE327."

Bonus points if you set their Outlook picture, too.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When you make a mistake which forces me to drop everything else I'm working on and put in 3 hours of work resolving an issue you've created, and I inform you of completion of same, do you

a) express gratitude and offer a final apology for me to deflect with a cheery "it's no problem!"
or
b) act as though I'm lucky to talk to you, as your job is clearly more important than mine as demonstrated by your ability to create problems but not solve them

If you said B, you may have a place in my, and countless other, companies!

I think Scott Adams said that you want a job where you piss on the floor, not one where you clean up piss.

Sorry if this derails back to bathroom chat. I'll just go back to my mop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This one special snowflake keeps bitching at me via email about an admin credentials popup (for Java or Flash, et al) and then making himself unavailable for me to do anything about it. I received an URGENT email that he could not work due to the admin credential popup and I called him back within five minutes. He still hasn't returned my call.

I'm just waiting for him to start copying VPs in.

P.S. This is the guy that left his laptop in the car to get stolen and then complained about getting a replacement of similar vintage instead of a brand new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe it's my complete lack of giving a gently caress, but the one time I cleaned up a mess someone caused and they were an rear end in a top hat to me after the fact I made it clear that they were the one who caused it, and the lost productivity is on them.

Dick Trauma posted:

P.S. This is the guy that left his laptop in the car to get stolen and then complained about getting a replacement of similar vintage instead of a brand new one.

I really wonder how often things are actually stolen or just "stolen".