Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Phantom Blood's OP begins with a panel of Jolyne saying "I am Kujo Jolyne"
I mean you're not going to notice it unless you're going through it frame by frame and can also read Japanese, but it's funny that she's technically shown in the anime very early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRXxnTue5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, there's also Josuke and technically Giorno, but as far as anime viewers know neither of those people exist.

Like, I could honestly see the argument for crying spoilers over those two since they kinda come out of left field, but you can pretty easily extrapolate that Jotaro has a kid at some point just from watching up to where we are in pt. 3 and being aware that other parts exist. This is like when people were crying about the figure ads in the first season because Dio was in one of them... in spite of Dio being the villain of Phantom Blood anyways, and the figure version of Dio not even existing in canon.
For all they know, Kakyoin is going to go make the next Jojo with Holly after Jotaro dies, I guess.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nessus posted:

For all they know, Kakyoin is going to go make the next Jojo with Holly after Jotaro dies, I guess.

Clearly, the cherry bit is just foreshadowing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Clearly, the cherry bit is just foreshadowing.

i know he's already died twenty years ago but i'm still rooting for him

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

hoobajoo posted:

It's so rare to see a manga where the characters are identifiable by face alone. Araki rules so goddamn hard.

Are we reading different manga or something because ever since the jump to monthly chapters every character has had the same exact face.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Ryaomon posted:

Are we reading different manga or something because ever since the jump to monthly chapters every character has had the same exact face.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Araki probably knows his art has suffered from sameface since day one, so he makes up for it by covering each character's body with weird crap (that he has to draw every single time) and then putting them in ridiculous poses. So basically he's the best.

Edit: Hell, he even poked fun at his tendency to suffer from sameface with Tsurugi's stand.

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 28, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What exactly does Gyro's Ball Breaker do anyways? Or what's its power, rather.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When he finally came up with another face to draw, he made a stand gimmick out of it.

Soulcleaver posted:

Edit: Hell, he even poked fun at his tendency to suffer from sameface with Tsurugi's stand.

Damnit I need to refresh before posting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

What exactly does Gyro's Ball Breaker do anyways? Or what's its power, rather.

As far as I can tell, Gyro can use it as the ultimate form of execution through spin, death by natural causes by doing some spin shenanigans to make the body age quicker and die.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Ryaomon posted:

I strongly suspect that may have been a conscious decision on Araki's part.

Here's why:

This is a universal model of scientifically quantifiable attractiveness that can be applied to any human face regardless of ethnicity or gender. People from every part of the world always respond to any features on any person that more closely fit this model, and you can find this model occurring in every ethnic group on the planet.

The Steel Ball Run arc deals with among other things, the idea of the Golden Ratio - the idea that you can mathematically quantify beauty in composition through patterns in nature.

Basically it looks like Araki put a golden ratio in the faces of his characters. (As well as mimicking the often-samefacey look of high-fashion models.) Unfortunately in doing so, his characters lost their individuality in features.

As people have already pointed out, I think one of the Jojolion stand abilities which was literally to 'sameface' everyone with a very unattractive mug was some self-mockery about this too.

Also, I hope he plans on breaking away from Sameface fashion designer art faces over the course of Jojolion and pushes expressive facial contortions that he's also historically known for. I was really happy when I saw this panel for that reason.

He seems to be doing a lot of fun caricaturing of non-central characters lately though at least.

As for the latest Jojolion chapter - I'm really starting to like Josuke a lot. He's starting to fit the role of a roguish detective-thief with a heart of gold that his stand implies pretty nicely.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 28, 2014

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Araki Sameface stuff only ever seems to happen on volume covers anyway. I personally don't have much of a problem telling peoples' faces apart during the manga itself.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Yeah I miss the wacky expressions, like Polnareff sticking his tongue out or Josuke 4's eyes popping out of his head Bugs Bunny style.

FirstAidKite posted:

The Araki Sameface stuff only ever seems to happen on volume covers anyway. I personally don't have much of a problem telling peoples' faces apart during the manga itself.

True. The sameface is limited to covers and spreads, which Araki uses to showcase more extravagant colors, poses, costumes, and so forth.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Oh Jesus, thanks for reminding me about that one - hahahaha.

Also:

MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

From the anime thread:

trucutru posted:

In any case, this is not Joseph's story and him hogging all the glory (as he could do, if he really wanted, because he's the best) wouldn't be as fun. Why fix everything with Hamon when, by letting some other people do the fighting for you, you can make your opponents literally eat poo poo?
Heritage for the Future toyed with this a little, but Joseph turning young during the fight with Alessi and teaming with Jotaro would have been the best.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Spacedad posted:

This is a universal model of scientifically quantifiable attractiveness that can be applied to any human face regardless of ethnicity or gender. People from every part of the world always respond to any features on any person that more closely fit this model, and you can find this model occurring in every ethnic group on the planet.

The Steel Ball Run arc deals with among other things, the idea of the Golden Ratio - the idea that you can mathematically quantify beauty in composition through patterns in nature.

Basically it looks like Araki put a golden ratio in the faces of his characters. (As well as mimicking the often-samefacey look of high-fashion models.) Unfortunately in doing so, his characters lost their individuality in features.

drat, I hadn't really given any thought to this. It does match with SBR's use of classic art as a theme.

Then again, there was also a lot of "same face" earlier in the series as well, especially in Vento Aureo.

If it wasn't for their clothes and hair styles I couldn't really tell them apart. But isn't most anime like that to begin with? :v:

vvv: thanks, that video seems interesting!

jyrque fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 28, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I think that's more to do with different kinds of sameface syndrome being a crutch/bad-habit used by comic artists in general. Araki was also trying to go for an androgynous sameface boy-band look in that arc, but I don't think he found out about the scientific thing about it yet.

In Steel Ball Run, he actually constructed fully fleshed out semi-anatomical faces that follow the universal model of attractiveness. It was around that time that this idea started to get more widely known, so there you go.

PS - watch all six parts of this episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZe9g2Huz0

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 28, 2014

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

New Josuke looks like Prince. It makes sense, but I had to get it off my chest.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To ponder a question posed in the anime thread, I'm actually having trouble thinking of any part 3 enemy stand users who would be able to stand up against Dio, aside from Death 13 or The Sun, and Sun is still dependent on whether it's light would work on vampires or not.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vanilla Ice.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
hermit purple, if joseph's ripple didn't suck rear end and he was a little bit better at his little trick with wrapping himself up in it

yellow temperance if he wasn't a huge idiot that left big face-punching holes in the goop all the time, although that's more "survive dio" then beat him

I'd also argue the darby brothers if it wasn't for the fact that dio is a sociopath that wouldn't consider stopping time to look at cards/otherwise cheat as actually cheating

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's quite hard to find out how much UV radiation regular fire actually emits. If the Sun was made up the same as the actual Sun, the crew would likely be very dead, very quick. If The Sun was just a big rear end fire ball in the sky, it leaves a lot larger room for debate unless you're a smarty pants scientist who knows how to figure out how much UV radiation is emitted by "regular" fire and scale it up and then compare it to the likes of Stroheim's lamps.

That said, JoJo has more holes in it than swiss cheese, so who really cares.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mr. stefan posted:

To ponder a question posed in the anime thread, I'm actually having trouble thinking of any part 3 enemy stand users who would be able to stand up against Dio, aside from Death 13 or The Sun, and Sun is still dependent on whether it's light would work on vampires or not.
Was Mannish Boy one of DIO's various bastard children? Or does that make too much sense?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mannish Boy was a naturally occurring evil baby.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Was Mannish Boy one of DIO's various bastard children? Or does that make too much sense?

Man, I would've loved to see grown up Death 13 in Stone Ocean.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nessus posted:

He was DIO and Pucci's egg baby.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

darealkooky posted:

I'd also argue the darby brothers if it wasn't for the fact that DIO is a sociopath that wouldn't consider punching their heads off and screwing over the souls of the people they've taken.

Fixed that for you.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dio got the money to buy poison by beating people at chess, dude is probably better than the darby's at gambling and the likes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not entirely sure DIO needs to sleep what with being an immortal vampire and all so I'm not really sure Death 13 would be of much use.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Gruckles posted:

He was DIO and Pucci's egg baby.

but yeah this is the real answer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Friday is finally here.

Am I ready for Abdul's glorious return? YES I AM.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Tch, tch, tch

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/22.html

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 29, 2014

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what on earth is this egg baby stuff people in the thread keep referring to?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A dumb CLAMP doujinshi where Jotaro and Kakyoin have a baby and Kakyoin does so by hatching an egg.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Aurora posted:

Vanilla Ice.

gets into void sphere or whatever
dio stops time and moves out of the way
vanilla ice looks around
dio stops time and murders him

the time stop thing pretty much counters anything unless they somehow get the drop on dio and kill him instantly (this is really hard because he's a freakin vampire). not to mention since he's an immortal vampire his time stop doesn't have a hard limit like jotaro's

FeedingHam2Cats fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 29, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

(this is really hard because he's a freakin vampire)

Honestly this is probably a bigger factor than his time-stopping powers. The fight would've been over the moment Polnareff stabbed him in the head if he wasn't undead, for example.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I want more Jojo art.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's so many tch, tch, tch's in this episode.
It's brilliant.

High Priestess is a two parter as well, though I'd be surprised if the second part wasn't at least half of the Egypt arrival and Iggy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aurain posted:

There's so many tch, tch, tch's in this episode.
It's brilliant.

High Priestess is a two parter as well, though I'd be surprised if the second part wasn't at least half of the Egypt arrival and Iggy.

It better be, If I dont get Iggy before the 3 month break Im gonna flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, High Priestess is a pretty short story, so I guess Iggy is coming up before this season ends.

• Locked thread