Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone have any bad things to say about doing 17x8 wheels up front with 18x10 deep dish in the rear? I have 17x8 all around right now but someone on craigslist is selling 2 18x10s in the same style on craigslist. I wanted to go staggered with 17x10.5 instead but if the price is right I don't think I would mind losing the half inch.

Nevermind. I keep forgetting that I have to buy a beater before the winter starts since I hosed up my exhaust driving through the last one. Gotta stop spending money. :argh:

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Anyone have any bad things to say about doing 17x8 wheels up front with 18x10 deep dish in the rear? I have 17x8 all around right now but someone on craigslist is selling 2 18x10s in the same style on craigslist. I wanted to go staggered with 17x10.5 instead but if the price is right I don't think I would mind losing the half inch.

Nevermind. I keep forgetting that I have to buy a beater before the winter starts since I hosed up my exhaust driving through the last one. Gotta stop spending money. :argh:

haha me too. I hated driving my car in the winter so I bought an 01 neon. Until I got rid of it in 08. Now I drive a Jeep as a daily. I do not know how I lived for so long with out having a Jeep.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Umph. GT sounds good.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204447494930173&set=vb.1315594551&type=2&theater

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oof. That sounds incredible

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Benhart21, a poster on NASIOC OT, posted these pics of a 2015.

Car looks fantastic from side. From the front and back, not so much. I believe this is the turbo 4.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That side shot really reminds me of a 370Z.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Love those wheels. I hate it that the performance pack only comes with the black ones

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Ford better make with the GT350/GT500 teasers some more.

Type Fs, C7s are just looking like such good buys right now.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Type Fs, C7s are just looking like such good buys right now.

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Pains me to think this way, but how am I suppose to give up a 700hp car. They're seeing 40-60hp/40-60ftlb gains on a ECU tune alone for the F Type R Coupe.

Hoping I don't pop the coyote before late 2016/2017, thank you CA smog laws.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The wallet says ecoboost, the gonads say GT :dong:

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Having owned an 11 GT, I wouldn't even consider the turbo 4.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Radiohead71 posted:

Having owned an 11 GT, I wouldn't even consider the turbo 4.
I want to see a combined dyno chart, see if the EB has more torque at any RPM. Somewhere down at 2k, perhaps. I doubt it.
Have we seen redline values for the EB? Pretty sure the 5.0 is still 7k.

edited: stupid phone autocorrect.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 11, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think it's really about GT vs turbo, though, it is? It's GT vs turbo-and-a-tune.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I don't think it's really about GT vs turbo, though, it is? It's GT vs turbo-and-a-tune.

Pretty much. Considering the EB has all forged internals including fancy Mahle pistons and a tough CGI block, 400+ HP should be doable with a few bolt-ons (which you'll have plenty of cash for from the money you save not buying a GT), and you also get the benefit of a lighter, better handling car - I've read at least one article where one of Ford's own engineers flat out said the EB corners better than the GT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The turbo vs GT battle is going to be hilariously fun. Even more fun than V6 mustang vs FRS.

edit: the best part is the reversal of talking points from both sides.

The EB is going to have massive low end torque. the 5.0 is going to make gobs of power at 8000 RPM.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 10, 2014

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Anyone have any recommendations for my next coyote oil change? I've filled 5w-20 Royal Purple in the past but now that the engine is supercharged I'm thinking about switching to 10w-30.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If anything use 5W-30 (so it's not too much thicker/harder to pump when cold, but still somewhat thicker hot), but honestly unless you're running significantly hotter than stock you should be fine with stock weight; the bearing tolerances aren't any different than before, so you're filling the same gap with oil at the same engine speeds.

Now, maybe get some oil samples off to Blackstone and see if they have any recommendations; if they find excess copper (ie bearings wearing due to increased shock load through the oil film during the power stroke), it could be worth considering.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

More audio.
Seems like the previous video (and this one) have an FRPP catback on them for the oomph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlb56WFnT8

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
FRPP exhausts make me horny. I only have the axleback on mine, but I still love the sound every time I'm driving (and in a V6 no less!)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've been looking for a winter car since I ruined the exhaust driving my lowered gt last winter. So I'm going to look at a 97 V6 today, looks clean, 125k miles. Wasn't really looking for another mustang but the price is right and its 2 minutes away. If its at stock ride height ill be golden, plus I've already got snows mounted on stock wheels.

Hopefully in a few hours I'll have 2 black ponies in my stable.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Cage posted:

I've been looking for a winter car since I ruined the exhaust driving my lowered gt last winter. So I'm going to look at a 97 V6 today, looks clean, 125k miles. Wasn't really looking for another mustang but the price is right and its 2 minutes away. If its at stock ride height ill be golden, plus I've already got snows mounted on stock wheels.

Hopefully in a few hours I'll have 2 black ponies in my stable.

If you've got winters bad enough to be ruining car parts, the open diff on the SN95 V6's aren't going to be doing you any favors in snow and ice.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well it was mainly the big chunks of ice in the road that I couldn't help but run over with a big clunk each time.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I found a 2002 GT for a hair under 5k with 149k miles on it. Something in me screams get it, so I'm asking if there's anything I need to look for when I go for the test drive. I've always wanted a mustang, but I've never had the cash/job until now. I'm really nervous right now for some reason.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I found a 2002 GT for a hair under 5k with 149k miles on it. Something in me screams get it, so I'm asking if there's anything I need to look for when I go for the test drive. I've always wanted a mustang, but I've never had the cash/job until now. I'm really nervous right now for some reason.

Those 2v engines arent the most reliable thing in the world so I would use caution before purchase. Ive heard stories from folks of them lasting for 200k miles, but ive heard more stories of failure before 120k. I hate the 2v engines so take what I say with a grain of salt I suppose.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I believe that somewhat sorted the cracked intake issues by that time so you should be good there. They were decent/average in terms of reliability, but not the best of performers. They are the best sounding Mustang, imho.

I would look to the usual suspects (ball joints, shocks/struts, bearings, heater core, etc).

That's not a bad price of the interior isn't destroyed. I love that body style, but hate the interiors.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
I found a 97 Cobra on CL for 6500 with only 84,000 miles for 6500, should I be suspicious or are the SN95's really that unpopular? It's extremely clean and the only defect that's pointed out is a slight crack on the front bumper. What should I be looking for when I go see it, both to make sure it's a legit Cobra and that it's actually in decent condition?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
97 Cobras aren't really anything special. The only major differences I can think of of the top of my head, besides cosmetics, was slightly upgraded brakes, slightly firmer suspension, and the 32v 4.6L which wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Thru just aren't a high value car.

e: that's a good price though. Guy may just not want to gently caress around and sell it fast

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah the Cobras don't get interesting until the 99+ IRS models, and especially the 02+ "Terminator" models with nearly 400hp.

Still not as anemic as the Fox body Cobra, though; 235 screaming horsepower in a >3,000 lb car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tahm Bwady posted:

I found a 97 Cobra on CL for 6500 with only 84,000 miles for 6500, should I be suspicious or are the SN95's really that unpopular? It's extremely clean and the only defect that's pointed out is a slight crack on the front bumper. What should I be looking for when I go see it, both to make sure it's a legit Cobra and that it's actually in decent condition?
An '11 V6 is an all around much better performance car, though obviously it would cost more. The old engines are just crap in comparison.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's a good foundation to build a quick little road rocket. The SN95 were kind of porkers, however. Put $5800 in hundreds on the hood and see if they bite.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
I currently drive an 05 Cavalier (an extremely trashed one that was recently put in a ditch at that) so anything is quicker/nicer even compared to the lovely Mustang interiors of the era. The Cobra seems like a nice cheap speed type thing though. I would love a Terminator cobra but all the New Edge ones in my area are in the 20,000+ range, so definitely out of my budget.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Thats cheaper then ive seen of cobras of that era going for in my area. I would run a carfax on it to see if it was in any wrecks, crawl underneath it and check if there is any visible damage to the sub-frames. I think the 97s still had the t-45 which is a smooth as gently caress shifting tranny but it cant handle any power so check to see that it still shifts well and doesnt get stuck in reverse.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/28/ford-mustang-building/14724219/

Production of the 2015 starts today!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Feel kind of ashamed to ask this but how long does it take to build a typical car on an assembly line like that? I am itching to drive the '15 something fierce.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

They actually started building them around two weeks ago. ;)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
After driving in a wall of fog last week I'm considering adding fog lights to my 2001 Bullitt. Ford ran all the wiring and capped off both ends, so until I get in there and find some nightmare it looks like an afternoon job. OEM style switches are around ten bucks, the lights seem to all be mid thirties each. Does anyone have a brand they really liked?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

Feel kind of ashamed to ask this but how long does it take to build a typical car on an assembly line like that? I am itching to drive the '15 something fierce.

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the line and the car - but when we went to Bowling Green to watch my dad's old C6 get built, in the morning it was a bare frame and by the end of the day it was two or three cars away from being driven off of the line. Of course, a lot of the major assemblies are delivered already built - I think the frame is one of the only components that they actually build at that factory.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's pretty much what I thought.

I keep playing around with the 'build your own' configuration app on the Ford website. EB with performance pack, EB premium with PP, base GT, GT premium with PP, base GT with PP.

I love the idea of the EB turbo 4. LOVE it. But at the same time, the Neanderthal in me grunts and says 'MUSTANG. V8.". Really looking forward to the test drive of the 4. If it were a daily driver, I would go with the 4, without hesitation. But since it's going to be a weekend toy, I'm leaning towards Coyote

e: Or maybe not.

If were to pull the trigger on either, I would go:
GT 6sp manual with Performance Package in Ruby Red plus Recaros: $37,410
EcoBoost Premium 6sp manual with Performance Package in Ruby Red: $32,385

That's a difference of about 5000 bucks. Gets you 9/10ths of the real world performance plus a whole slew of creature comforts. A tune and a couple bolt ons will narrow the performance gap.

Yeesh.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
A new manifold and bigger turbo should make up the difference in price and performance.

Sit on it and wait a year for something jimmy rustling to come out.