Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

gay skull posted:

And what if the fad dies out? Guess it's too little, too late then.

Just toss them in a box along with all my plastic Guitar Hero instruments...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I know it's not Wii U news, but I think there's going to be a lot of overlap in here. Nintendo is having a 3DS direct stream tomorrow.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's a Japan only direct, so don't expect big news.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Personally I'm going to get a full set because I am a Nintendo fan and I like collecting things. The fact that they will work with more than just one title and can potentially unlock things in a bunch of games in awesome and even if I wasn't a crazy person I would still keep an ear open for news of a cool use or some content that is only available using Amiibo.

Also I wanna make my plastic Mario fight a plastic Kirby and don't judge me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think maybe people should hold off seeing what the gently caress Amiibos actually do outside of Smash before deciding to buy $250 worth of plastic Mario men. That's just me, though.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I dont know if theres still a thread for it but i have a mario kart question. After i finish a race i can push + and a little star appears in the top left corner. Whats that? I seem to have a limited number of them, i used two by accident apparently and then just yesterday did it on purpose on a race i didnt come in first for.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
No it is my money and I will waste it as I see fit.

Kly posted:

I dont know if theres still a thread for it but i have a mario kart question. After i finish a race i can push + and a little star appears in the top left corner. Whats that? I seem to have a limited number of them, i used two by accident apparently and then just yesterday did it on purpose on a race i didnt come in first for.

They are race replays, you can save up to 5 and edit them and stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kly posted:

It saves/bookmarks the replay of the race for later viewing.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kids like trading cards, I remember meeting a lot of kids in school who collected and traded Pokemon cards without ever even knowing how to play the game. They're cheap to produce, cheap to sell, and the tech had already been developed. I'm not saying that the original e-Reader was a quality product or anything, but if they'd have included a better way to integrate the hardware with the then-upcoming DS, maybe they would have gotten somewhere. Like released a second-generation e-Reader in the shape of one of those Square credit card payment dilly-yos you plug into your phone that goes into the game link cable slot.

It just seems silly to me that they didn't really try to improve it. They just kinda farted out a $40 convoluted piece of junk that required an extra GBA and a link cable to even fully function, then took their ball and went home when, surprise surprise, nobody wanted one. I mean, it is true that the Amiibos do work with the Gamepad out of the box which is nice, but that still requires a Wii U. 3DS users don't get Amiibo support, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of Skylanders-style dock came out for it, once again introducing the problem of needing a separate accessory to use your Amiibos. Just like with the e-Reader.

Nintendo's just not good at this kinda thing. I don't wanna jump the gun and make big claims or anything, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if everything announced to use Amiibos so far is at least half of the total Amiibo-compatible library.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I want little toys and don't really care if it gives me an extra mushroom in the next Mario game or whatever.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So what do amiibos do? I just looked them up and you scan them and then can level up the corresponding character in smash bros? Does that give you an advantage over anyone who doesn't have an amiibo, or is there a separate amiibo only game mode?

I have no idea what Skylanders or Disney Infinity are, other than "That display that's larger than the Wii and Wii U section combined in any electronics department."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It doesn't work that way.

Basically, when you plug in the Amiibo, you can customize an *AI* character. You can then take that AI character to your friends house and battle their AI characters or whatever, or fight alongside your AI character versus your friend and their AI character, or make a super strong AI character and 2v1 it. It doesn't power up the characters you actually play as.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Amiibo thing could go either way. On the one hand Skylanders was popular, on the other hand, from what I understand, Disney bombed pretty hard with Disney Infinity, so it's hard to know how this will go. Nintendo have brand on their side, but so did Disney and making the Amiibos not necessary to unlock stuff, while nice, could also hurt them pretty badly. They also have the problem that while the Wii U doesn't need and accessory to scan the things, the much more popular 3DS does. It is a thing where we'll just have to wait and see.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

gay skull posted:

3DS users don't get Amiibo support, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of Skylanders-style dock came out for it, once again introducing the problem of needing a separate accessory to use your Amiibos.
They showed it in the Amiibo video, it's some kind of wirelessly connecting thingy from the one picture they showed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I bought an ereader for 2 bucks and never bought a single card. Thankfully the last owner already scanned Donkey Kong Jr so there's that.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They are race replays, you can save up to 5 and edit them and stuff.

Oh. So what are the conditions for getting gold stars on cups? And is it correct that i only need one star on each 150cc cup tp unlock everything, other than collecting coins for vehicle customization?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kly posted:

Oh. So what are the conditions for getting gold stars on cups? And is it correct that i only need one star on each 150cc cup tp unlock everything, other than collecting coins for vehicle customization?

To get 3 gold stars you need to come in 1st in every race for that cup. You only need to place in a cup to unlock a character, it doesn't need to be a gold trophy.

You're correct about the coins, they unlock kart parts.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Kly posted:

The OP has a link to threads. Mario Kart is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632104

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Endorph posted:

It doesn't work that way.

Basically, when you plug in the Amiibo, you can customize an *AI* character. You can then take that AI character to your friends house and battle their AI characters or whatever, or fight alongside your AI character versus your friend and their AI character, or make a super strong AI character and 2v1 it. It doesn't power up the characters you actually play as.

So... it just lets me tweak an AI's stats? I still don't exactly understand why most people would want to drop $10 per character for that aside from the fact that I'd get a little figurine.

Can we get like a sequel to WWE All Stars so I can buy a Macho Man Randy Savage Amiibo, that'd be sick

elf help book posted:

I want little toys and don't really care if it gives me an extra mushroom in the next Mario game or whatever.

Hey let's hit the road where we'll go from town to town, I'll talk to the audience about video games and then you'll chime in with a funny comment and then we'll do a little synchronized tap dance, twirl our canes and strike a pose as the curtains fall

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gay skull posted:

Hey let's hit the road where we'll go from town to town, I'll talk to the audience about video games and then you'll chime in with a funny comment and then we'll do a little synchronized tap dance, twirl our canes and strike a pose as the curtains fall

Shut up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

gay skull posted:

So... it just lets me tweak an AI's stats? I still don't exactly understand why most people would want to drop $10 per character for that aside from the fact that I'd get a little figurine.

Here's the thing, that's the functionality with Smash Bros but there's different functionality with other games. They're supposed to be able to unlock something in Mario Kart, Captain Toad and a number of other games as well. What those unlocks are, I don't know, but it is interesting enough that I really want to check it out.

Even if the functionality stuff is garbage it's still appealing to me to collect a bunch of Nintendo themed plastic toys, I never really collected Magic cards or Star Wars figures as a kid so this is scratching that itch.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Alright alright, the tap dance doesn't have to be synchronized, not everyone's rhythmically talented.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just want cool Nintendo figurines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

You can get cool ones now for the low low price of like 60 bucks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Figmas are cooler if you really want to decorate your house with video game characters.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Figmas are cooler if you really want to decorate your house with video game characters.

I hate the weird joints on those.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Yes and also like four times more expensive.

(Presumably)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey, I'm really lovely at consoles so this is probably a horrible dumb question.

I have the physical disk edition of Mario Kart, am I able to just buy/preorder the DLC normally from the digital store? It seems to imply I can only do that if I have a digital edition of the game. Alternatively, is there any way to convert mine? I don't give a poo poo about having a disk, it just came bundled with the console.

Thanks!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just bought my Wii U with the Digital Deluxe, I'm loving it so far. Question about the Digital Deluxe program. I'm all signed up, got it working, now if I buy Monster Hunter 3 on sale, does it count for $16 or $40? If it counts for $40, that'll get me my first reward on digital deluxe, and I can use it to get the D&D game, also on sale (which is what I want). If it does work this way, how long does it take to get the reward points (because I want to make sure I get the points before the sale ends)?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey, I'm really lovely at consoles so this is probably a horrible dumb question.

I have the physical disk edition of Mario Kart, am I able to just buy/preorder the DLC normally from the digital store? It seems to imply I can only do that if I have a digital edition of the game. Alternatively, is there any way to convert mine? I don't give a poo poo about having a disk, it just came bundled with the console.

Thanks!

You can buy the DLC just fine; its just gonna ask you "Hey, are you sure you own this game?" (because you can totally buy DLC for a game you don't own and 'waste' your money.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jivjov posted:

You can buy the DLC just fine; its just gonna ask you "Hey, are you sure you own this game?" (because you can totally buy DLC for a game you don't own and 'waste' your money.)

Oh okay, sweet then. I really wouldn't mind converting my copy to a digital edition and just installing it on the console, but whatever!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The only way to "convert" would be to sell your disc and then use the money to buy the digital version.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

jivjov posted:

I was pretty happy to see that warning because it means if a game has temporary free dlc, you should be able to "buy" it without yet owning the game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

(From Nintendo's conference at Unite 2014)

Nintendo's audience really is primarily comprised of people who are looking for nostalgia fuel! :v:

vvvv e: That's a good point, actually.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 28, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

JordanKai posted:

Nintendo's audience really is primarily comprised of people who are looking for nostalgia fuel! :v:

Another way to look at those age statistics is that the eShop is mostly used by people who have credit cards.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Kids parents' are likely the ones using the eShop, since kids don't have credit cards.

Edit: Beaten.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fremry posted:

Kids parents' are likely the ones using the eShop, since kids don't have credit cards.
Yeah, basically. They get Dad's credit card and that explains the age thing and the gender thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What about the actual 5% 12 and under? Like, what are they using?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

noirstronaut posted:

eShop prepaid cards, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Some babies are tougher than others, some babies need to game no matter what.

• Locked thread