Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
give everyone a suit of armor and a big loving sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotAnArtist posted:

Star Citizen

$2,134,374 pledged of $500,000
34,397 backers

Nah bro let's get back to being angry at snarkeezian for not making her videos as opposed to some dumb star wars clone that'll never be released :mrapig:

they are actually at like 40 loving million now

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.patreon.com/zoe

She makes more than I do in a month working 50 hours a week protecting the woods while she sits on her rear end

i am real mad it's a monthly payment

drat ur gettin hosed.

poptart_fairy posted:

star citizen gets poo poo on all the time wtf are you on about

we're talking about forums mod spanish manlove becoming surprised and upset that a kickstarter wildly exceeds an incredibly modest goal of 6 grand when star citizen and the ouya exist in this world

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, misandry in video games is real!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrPlump posted:

The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want make characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

Actually those get complained about too. They get called men in dresses or some poo poo like that.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I was mildly annoyed when Anita cited Fallout as an example of transgressive portrayal of sexual workers.

These words in this context confuse me. Are you sure you meant transgressive?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this thread gave me sexism fever and the only prescription is giving money to idle women

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paladinus posted:

Also, misandry on video games is real!

It's called Saint's Row 3 and 4 female voice option number 3, bitch!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

whats this game, I have to journalism it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Actually those get complained about too. They get called men in dresses or some poo poo like that.

also RPGs where you can play as either a man or a woman don't count as positive female characters either because reasons

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's called Saint's Row 3 and 4 female voice option number 3, bitch!

Wow, another feminist who knows nothing about video games, huh? It's Yakuza 5, you big silly.

Never played it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also RPGs where you can play as either a man or a woman don't count as positive female characters either because reasons

Well Fem Shep looked like a man all the way up until mass Effect 3.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paladinus posted:

Wow, another feminist who knows nothing about video games, huh? It's Yakuza 5, you big silly.

Never played it.

I'm saying Saint's Row 3 and 4 portrayed women better than Yakuza, a series that America shall no longer know the taste of because nobody bought it and the gaming press ignored it.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I gotta admit I loving LOVED running around as a naked obese black woman with iridescent green dreadlocks in Saint's Row 3.
I also liked that level where you gotta free the ho's. Ho's deserve freedom too.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I gotta admit I loving LOVED running around as a naked obese black woman with iridescent green dreadlocks in Saint's Row 3.
I also liked that level where you gotta free the ho's. Ho's deserve freedom too.

that was the best rescue scene, Kanye West's music was just the cherry on top.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what's really great was how, if you added up all the ways that female video game characters like FemShep, Samus, Alyx Vance, and others were declared to be problematic in the old Minority Perspectives thread, you were left with a list of things to avoid that was so all-encompassing that there was absolutely no way to write any kind of character whatsoever.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 28, 2014

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

Here's the video with anime music sung by a high pitched girl

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

what's really great was if you added up all the ways that female lead characters were declared to be problematic in the old minority perspectives thread, you were left with a list of things to avoid that meant there was absolutely no way to make write any kind of character whatsoever.

Dinosaurs, you gotta make every game about Dinosaurs. Open your mind.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DrPlump posted:

The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want make characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

People demand female characters with entirely male attributes but are unable to specify why being the NPC with the sword is better than being the NPC that is captured. The captured NPC is only a woman in the first place in an attempt to be inclusive they could easily be replaced with a man or chest of gold.

The reason for the damsel in distress trope is reality. This is actually what happens when a person is kidnapped in real life. A team of male police or soldiers is sent to rescue them. Can anyone name even a single real life situation in which a group of highly trained women stormed a compound to rescue a captured man.

This isn't about sexism it is about broken women who wish they where born men. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of pushing for selective service to include women they would rather push EA to reskin the protagonist in the next call of duty.

This is an ingenious argument. It is an argument for realism, while stories are about symbols.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm saying Saint's Row 3 and 4 portrayed women better than Yakuza, a series that America shall no longer know the taste of because nobody bought it and the gaming press ignored it.

Saint's Row 3 was fantastic. 4 was good, bud just a tad too much over the top for me. Jim Sterling commented on how progressive those games are and Anita never mentioned them in her videos (only 1 and 2). That's all I can say on the subject.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

im going to save anita from the trolls but first I have to find the legendary Master Card

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Taint Reaper posted:

In Jurrasic Park: Trespasser you played as a woman who if you look in third person would see that her body was just an upper torso and a right arm. Your health meter in this game was a heart-shaped tatoo on her breasts.

I have no idea if this is sexist or not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Taint Reaper posted:

Dinosaurs are problematic because Maiasaura perpetuates stereotypical depictions of women being caregivers for children.

This is probably an argument that would've been advanced seriously in the Minority Perspectives thread.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Anita break from this thread I'm gonna go out and get some Five Guys for lunch.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

what's really great was how, if you added up all the ways that female video game characters like FemShep, Samus, Alyx Vance, and others were declared to be problematic in the old Minority Perspectives thread, you were left with a list of things to avoid that was so all-encompassing that there was absolutely no way to make write any kind of character whatsoever.

I think the best way to make everyone happy is to stop putting women in video games entirely

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Lodin posted:

Pick your battles and focus on something like the right to abortions for fucks sake.

Everyone's allowed to buy Bioware games :confused:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
300 posts in like a couple hours. Anything happen?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DrPlump posted:

This isn't about sexism it is about broken women who wish they where born men. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of pushing for selective service to include women they would rather push EA to reskin the protagonist in the next call of duty.

This isn't about joining the army, it's about broken nerds who wish they were soldiers. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of enlisting, they would rather go to EA and buy a microtransaction fedora for their character in the next call of duty

:getout:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
4chan designed a character for a charity that Zoe Quinn tried to tank and the minor shitstorm from the idea of a feminist charity accepting donations from 4chan is lovely.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DrPlump posted:

The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want male characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

People demand female characters with entirely male attributes but are unable to specify why being the NPC with the sword is better than being the NPC that is captured. The captured NPC is only a woman in the first place in an attempt to be inclusive they could easily be replaced with a man or chest of gold.

The reason for the damsel in distress trope is reality. This is actually what happens when a person is kidnapped in real life. A team of male police or soldiers is sent to rescue them. Can anyone name even a single real life situation in which a group of highly trained women stormed a compound to rescue a captured man.

lol, where are you c/p these from?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

it's full blown sexism in videogames chat now

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

not since adam baldwin
*nods towards you respectfully*

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sincere discussion

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

straight jerkers posted:

I think the best way to make everyone happy is to stop putting women in video games entirely

ah, but then video games wouldn't accurately represent real-world population demographics, which is another PROBLEMATIC thing that's PROBLEMATIC because it's PROBLEMATIC

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

ah, but then video games wouldn't accurately represent real-world population demographics, which is another PROBLEMATIC thing that's PROBLEMATIC because it's PROBLEMATIC

shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuup

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

ZOE QUINN posted:

I want to be on Steam because I absolutely think Depression Quest is a game, and I’d like to see more nontraditional games like Proteus, Dear Esther or text-adventure-type things on the platform. The fact is, text adventures have been influential in games since day fricking one. I mean, hello, Zork exists, and if people want to pretend that doesn’t matter and isn’t worthy of Steam, they need to get their heads checked.”

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuup

*tweaks my xcom soldier spawn rate to 90% female* Now what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuup

sorry

anyway this is pretty funny and I wanna post it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's a loving laundry list of good female characters who are predominantly featured in videogames. If you are not aware of them then mayhaps you should be playing better games?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Dear Esther, it's one of the most relaxing Let's Plays I ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jesus christ that problematic joke is so worn out it looks like zoe quinn's hair roots

• Locked thread