Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Combo posted:

My waiver options are really Wright, Ladarius Green (doesn't seem like Gates is going away for the time being), Walker, and Dwayne Allen.

Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Combo posted:

Yeah, I really don't think too much of Wright necessarily and I'm not exactly buying into the hype, I just need a person that's going to play and TE started flying off the shelves early in my draft. People grabbed backups way before I even grabbed my first.

My waiver options are really Wright, Ladarius Green (doesn't seem like Gates is going away for the time being), Walker, and Dwayne Allen.
Green or Allen are your best bets for upside.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
After my top 3 picks ended up being busts last year (CJ Spiller, T.Richardson & Roddy White) I'm looking for redemption in my big money office league. 14-team .5 PPR 4-point Throwing TD.

QB: Tony Romo
RB: A. Peterson
RB: Geo Bernard
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Torrey Smith
Flex: Reggie Wayne
TE: Kyle Rudolph
D/ST: Ravens
K: Dan Bailey
B: Pierre Thomas
B: Fred Jackson
B: Terrence West
B: Ahmad Bradshaw
B: Andrew Hawkins
IR:

The only players I'm not happy with are Torrey Smith (J. Edelman was available, derp) and Ahmad Bradshaw. My question is: Josh Gordon's owner dropped him and John Brown is available... Should I take the risk of dropping someone and picking one of them up now or wait a little longer to see how my roster pans out?

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Trade question!

I went RB RB RB to start the draft so I don't super need the 4th RB - it would be more for depth and to add more tradable pieces on my team since there's a lot of junk on my bench.

My team, 0 PPR, QB 2xRB 3xWR 1xTE 1xFlex:

QB: Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel
RB: Jamaal Charles, Montee Ball, Andre Ellington, Knile Davis, CJ Anderson, Jonathan Dwyer
WR: Michael Crabtree, TY Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Danny Amendola
TE: Zach Ertz, Tim Wright
DST: Rams, Saints
K: Dan Bailey

I went from camping with 0 internet for 5 days to driving 8 hours to getting a hotel room and drafting on my phone having done very little research. Without any real knowledge of sleepers, I spent the end of my draft taking D/STs (I dropped a third DST for Tim Wright), handcuffs, and Johnny Manziel - not the best.

There's a team with Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, Roddy White, and Larry Fitzgerald. Is it worth it to offer Jamaal Charles for any two of them? Or am I being stupid and I should just keep Charles?

My original thought was Charles for Martin and Morris - even though my WRs are pretty bad, I feel like I should just get the most value possible and keep trading. The issue is that I had Charles last year and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on offering him in trades so I wanted to get some opinions first.

When you can only start 3 RBs in the first place, I don't know why you would trade your top pick for 2 more RBs so you now have 4 high(er) end RBs and can still only start 3? I mean unless you turned around and flipped like Martin for a top tier WR1, ehhhh. If you're going to trade Charles, target a top tier WR like Megatron/Thomas/Bryant/Green/Marshall (I'm probably forgetting one or two in there) and a mid-range RB. As it stands, even though you have great RBs, your WRs are probably going to lose you quite a few games unless the 49ers go pass happy, Hilton becomes Reggie Wayne, and Maclin is a more consistent DJax. Seems a lot to ask.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'd rather have Torrey Smith than Edelman personally.

I don't see anyone you should really drop for Gordon. Hawkins is your only bench receiver.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Combo posted:

Yeah, I really don't think too much of Wright necessarily and I'm not exactly buying into the hype, I just need a person that's going to play and TE started flying off the shelves early in my draft. People grabbed backups way before I even grabbed my first.

It'd be worth monitoring Seferian-Jenkins for a few weeks to see how he does especially now that Wright is gone.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Rapoport said yesterday on SC (I think, it was definitely on TV) that the Pats are actually quite high on Wright and are looking for him to be Hernandez-esque.

-Could be Billy Fiveaces hurf-blurf;
-Could be true but still be overly optimistic;
-Even if true, could take several weeks to pan out;

...but it's definitely a good sign.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
Why are people down on Torrey Smith? I try to get him every year

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Bonham posted:

I don't know, he rules, and he should be great again this season.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Bonham posted:

Especially this year where he's going to be doing an Andre Johnson impression. I am all about taking him at his hilarious ADP.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Bonham posted:

He's not super valuable in PPR, he's basically a poor-man's VJax when it comes to boom/bust ratio with way more bust than boom, he's attached to one of the most underwhelming (not bad, just underwhelming) QBs in the league, on an above average defensive team.

Edit: I mean at his ADP he's a great value and there's more than a few people ahead of/around him that I'd consider taking him over, but you just asked why people were down on him and thus the above listed reasons.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I'm not super high on Torrey Smith but at his ADP I do like him a lot, and I certainly like him more than Edelman.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

kaynorr posted:

Despite never having done it before, I find myself in this league which uses IDP and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Are there any good rules of thumb to putting together a decent defensive roster? I'm trying to avoid whatever the equivalent of drafting a first-round kicker or the like.

Don't draft based on name recognition alone. It means the guy is likely too old.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Suave Fedora posted:

Don't draft based on name recognition alone. It means the guy is likely too old.

This.

Also, tackles seem to rule all, so target lb's that pile up tackles. Bonus if you can get one that also defends passes and sacks the QB.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea 2 shares and counting of Smith myself. He's set to see a bunch of targets and going wayyyyyyyyy late in drafts

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Deer_fire posted:

He's not super valuable in PPR, he's basically a poor-man's VJax when it comes to boom/bust ratio with way more bust than boom, he's attached to one of the most underwhelming (not bad, just underwhelming) QBs in the league, on an above average defensive team.

Edit: I mean at his ADP he's a great value and there's more than a few people ahead of/around him that I'd consider taking him over, but you just asked why people were down on him and thus the above listed reasons.

I think this is the year that Torrey makes the leap. I'm buying when I can.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

So I need to drop 4 players to fill my league's K/DEF/DP/DB slots. It's a 10 team, non-ppr, standard scoring keeper league. (3 starting WR slots though)

Here is my bench:
Toby Gerhart
Joique Bell
Steven Ridley
Wes Welker
Colin Kaepernick
Michael Crabtree
Bernard Pierce
Zach Ertz
Lance Dunbar

The three obvious choices are Dunbar, Ertz, and Pierce. Not sure about who I should let go as the fourth (or maybe just play the first week with no starter at one of the K/DEF/DP/DB slots)? I heard some nonsense about Ridley being cut? If that's true I guess I'd drop him, but I can't see that happening.

Here's my starting roster if it helps:
QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Montee Ball
RB- LeVeon Bell
FLEX- Andre Ellington
WR- Demaryius Thomas
WR- Andre Johnson
WR- Percy Harvin
TE- Martellus Bennett

Any advice? :ohdear:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Combo posted:

Yeah I'm not super high on Torrey Smith but at his ADP I do like him a lot, and I certainly like him more than Edelman.

This. He's going at WR4 prices and he's got WR2 upside (or WR1 upside but on a game-to-game basis). He's basically going in rounds where you can draft him as a flex and you're dumb not to take him. He's head and shoulders above every WR going at his ADP. I try to get him whenever I can and I'm always mad when I don't.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Torrey Smith or Michael Floyd or Crabtree?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

I would go Floyd > Smith > Crabtree

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Shath Hole posted:

I would go Floyd > Smith > Crabtree

I agree, though ADP-wise Smith is probably the best WR value out there. Maybe Decker comes close.

If I wanted to target some RBs and a TE (Graham or Gronk) early and leave WRs to the mid rounds, those two and Reggie Wayne make a rock solid trifecta of value WRs. Let some other chump start a tandem of SJax and Bishop Sankey.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kloaked00 posted:

On straight production I'd go Crabtree - Floyd - Smith, but Smith and to a lesser extent Floyd are better value picks. I'm high on crabtree this year, Kaepernick has yet to favor anyone else whens drab is on the field.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

I agree, though ADP-wise Smith is probably the best WR value out there. Maybe Decker comes close.

If I wanted to target some RBs and a TE (Graham or Gronk) early and leave WRs to the mid rounds, those two and Reggie Wayne make a rock solid trifecta of value WRs. Let some other chump start a tandem of SJax and Bishop Sankey.

Yeah, it really does seem like you can get some solid rear end WRs late moreso this year than in previous years I can remember, but if you sleep on RBs you are hosed.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Shath Hole posted:

Yeah, it really does seem like you can get some solid rear end WRs late moreso this year than in previous years I can remember, but if you sleep on RBs you are hosed.

There's some really good PPR flex-play bargains at RB super late but aside from maybe FJax the coffers are barren from rounds 6-10

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

So after many (probably too many) drafts, it looks like I should be able to get this for my final roster drafting from the 9/10th position tonight

1.9) Montee Ball/Marshawn Lynch
2.2) DeMarco Murray
3.9) Antonio Brown/Randal Cobb
4.2) Keenan Allen
5.9) Michael Floyd/Torrey Smith
6.2) Joique Bell
7.9) Mike Wallace/Marques Colston
8.2) Golden Tate/Reuben Randle
9.9) Greg Olsen/Jordan Reed
10.2) Jay Cutler
11.9) Bernard Pierce
12.2) Jeremy Hill
13.9) Andre Williams
14.2) Kelvin Benjamin
15.9) DST
16.2) Tucker/Hauschka/Dawson

It feels like a solid roster to me. Any critiques before the real thing tonight?

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

It's always this way to start the year. And take a look at Smith's game-log from last year. In standard scoring he would have given you 2 100 yard games and 4 games above 10 points. Even then, only 1 of those games was like "wow Torrey Smith hurt me" but never like "welp I lost entirely because of Torrey Smith." I'm all for him at his ADP but calling him a "solid rear end WR" is way overkill for his past production.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

There's some really good PPR flex-play bargains at RB super late but aside from maybe FJax the coffers are barren from rounds 6-10

I mentioned it before but there's pretty consistently 2-4 RBs that go late that end up being super useful. FJax and Moreno were the two from last year off the top of my head. Mathews too but he went in the 5th in 12-teamers so I guess he doesn't fit that criteria.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Deer_fire posted:

It's always this way to start the year. And take a look at Smith's game-log from last year. In standard scoring he would have given you 2 100 yard games and 4 games above 10 points. Even then, only 1 of those games was like "wow Torrey Smith hurt me" but never like "welp I lost entirely because of Torrey Smith." I'm all for him at his ADP but calling him a "solid rear end WR" is way overkill for his past production.

I mentioned it before but there's pretty consistently 2-4 RBs that go late that end up being super useful. FJax and Moreno were the two from last year off the top of my head. Mathews too but he went in the 5th in 12-teamers so I guess he doesn't fit that criteria.

Wasn't really singling Torrey out in my description. He isn't going to kill you week after week, but Megatron doesn't even do that. Like has been said, his value at where he is taken is very, very good.

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

what, you don't like pizza?
Sigmund Bloom on twitter is telling everyone to pick up Cody Latimer. Saying he'll be used for RZ even with Welker on the field. Anyone else buying this?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Kloaked00 posted:

So after many (probably too many) drafts, it looks like I should be able to get this for my final roster drafting from the 9/10th position tonight

1.9) Montee Ball/Marshawn Lynch
2.2) DeMarco Murray
3.9) Antonio Brown/Randal Cobb
4.2) Keenan Allen
5.9) Michael Floyd/Torrey Smith
6.2) Joique Bell
7.9) Mike Wallace/Marques Colston
8.2) Golden Tate/Reuben Randle
9.9) Greg Olsen/Jordan Reed
10.2) Jay Cutler
11.9) Bernard Pierce
12.2) Jeremy Hill
13.9) Andre Williams
14.2) Kelvin Benjamin
15.9) DST
16.2) Tucker/Hauschka/Dawson

It feels like a solid roster to me. Any critiques before the real thing tonight?

Close, the only thing I don't see happening as a possibility is the TEs. I think both of them will be gone by round 9.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Torrey Smith chat is reminding me how much I like the guy - I wanted him in the draft and juuuust barely got scooped on him.
Here's my team compared to Smith's current owner - is there a worthwhile trade to put together? His RB depth is piss-poor, and he's thin at TE as well, so I might dangle Sankey for Smith, maybe throw in Ladarius Green for his...something, I dunno.

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

Sankey for Torrey straight up. I'm really down on Sankey though, hopefully he's on the hype train.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

keldegar posted:

Sankey for Torrey straight up. I'm really down on Sankey though, hopefully he's on the hype train.

Pancakes needs the RB and his opponent does not in any fashion. I don't see why that's a good trade. And frankly I don't see that Torrey is really helping his team all that much either.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Azhais posted:

Pancakes needs the RB and his opponent does not in any fashion. I don't see why that's a good trade. And frankly I don't see that Torrey is really helping his team all that much either.

You really think so? I went all-in on running backs in the early round to try and avoid exactly that situation - I don't have one of the top-5 demigods, but I did pick 10th. I think between Ball, Ellington, Jennings and Bell I can put up solid numbers. Sankey and Bradshaw are there just for the "Hey, what if Sankey proves them wrong? / Hey, what if TRich keeps sucking poo poo?" I think Smith would help my WR corps which is high-upside but has few proven guys.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

keldegar posted:

Sigmund Bloom on twitter is telling everyone to pick up Cody Latimer. Saying he'll be used for RZ even with Welker on the field. Anyone else buying this?

Absolutely, this has quietly been known for the last week or two. He's like 6'2" and there's no Decker anymore. It'll be DT, Thomas, and Latimer in the RZ for passing plays. Even if he never sees the field otherwise, he'll have a Justin Hunter-type year (which hopefully means he'll take a step forward without anyone notincing and have a ridiculously low ADP next year) and that's worth the late/last round flyer or add if you've got the bench spot to see if he leapfroggs Caldwell at any point (he should if Fox isn't an assho...)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

keldegar posted:

Is it PPR? If so, gently caress that, go Sankey and Cooper for Smith and Dunbar. Problem solved.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Faltese Malkin posted:

If I'm trading Charles*, I have to get a legit WR 1 back. I would be looking at the team with Megatron, Bryant, or Marshall. Honestly though, I would wait a few weeks before doing any trades. There's no telling how the season will shake out (keep an eye on the waiver wire) and if your WR turn into a dumpster fire you can always move Charles then.

*Don't trade Charles unless you absolutely have to... your receivers are 'eh' but you also have one of the best RB in fantasy.

Deer_fire posted:

When you can only start 3 RBs in the first place, I don't know why you would trade your top pick for 2 more RBs so you now have 4 high(er) end RBs and can still only start 3? I mean unless you turned around and flipped like Martin for a top tier WR1, ehhhh. If you're going to trade Charles, target a top tier WR like Megatron/Thomas/Bryant/Green/Marshall (I'm probably forgetting one or two in there) and a mid-range RB. As it stands, even though you have great RBs, your WRs are probably going to lose you quite a few games unless the 49ers go pass happy, Hilton becomes Reggie Wayne, and Maclin is a more consistent DJax. Seems a lot to ask.

Thanks, you guys!

I trade alot, and I like to run things by this thread (and try to help others when I can) before I pull the trigger. I was looking at last year's thread and apparently at one point I was considering selling high on Josh Gordon to buy low on Steven Ridley. Talk about a bullet dodged!

quote:

I mean unless you turned around and flipped like Martin for a top tier WR1, ehhhh.

So funny you say that. Last year this happened (I was LOSR):

right after week 6. The next game Martin got shelved for the season and Megatron went on to break receiving records (which Gordon, also on my team, later broke) and I never lost a game from there. Honestly, that might have been clouding my vision a bit when I asked that question.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Tell me about it. After the first 20 or so (once like Gerhart/Gore are gone), I'll be looking at the available RB list and going "eh". Scroll some more, "eh...". Makes picking up a solid RB3 tough. Been aiming for value WR in those rounds (like Torrey Smith, who somehow falls to the 8th/9th every mock I do) and grab upside RB flyers late, like Chris Ivory-late.

I basically want nothing to do with the entire Chris Johnson/Vereen/SJax/Run DMC tier.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zero_Grade posted:

Tell me about it. After the first 20 or so (once like Gerhart/Gore are gone), I'll be looking at the available RB list and going "eh". Scroll some more, "eh...". Makes picking up a solid RB3 tough. Been aiming for value WR in those rounds (like Torrey Smith, who somehow falls to the 8th/9th every mock I do) and grab upside RB flyers late, like Chris Ivory-late.

I basically want nothing to do with the entire Chris Johnson/Vereen/SJax/Run DMC tier.

Vereen needs to get a bump out of that tier but you need to plan for injury accordingly. CJ?K isn't a bad RB3 if he falls a round or two but I don't like him at his ADP.

Basically every mock I do I see Vereen in the end of the 5th and I have no interest, but I think he he makes it back around in the early 6th I'm all in, and he never does.

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Absolutely, this has quietly been known for the last week or two. He's like 6'2" and there's no Decker anymore. It'll be DT, Thomas, and Latimer in the RZ for passing plays. Even if he never sees the field otherwise, he'll have a Justin Hunter-type year (which hopefully means he'll take a step forward without anyone notincing and have a ridiculously low ADP next year) and that's worth the late/last round flyer or add if you've got the bench spot to see if he leapfroggs Caldwell at any point (he should if Fox isn't an assho...)

Pick 1 waiver wonder.

Hakeem Nicks
Dwayne Bowe
Kenny Britt
Reuben Randle
Cody Latimer
Baby Hawk
Aaron Dobson
John Brown
Malcolm Floyd (Chargers)
Robert Woods
Brian Hartline

Man, WR is deep in a 12-team league. So many fliers on waivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pancakes by Mail posted:

You really think so? I went all-in on running backs in the early round to try and avoid exactly that situation - I don't have one of the top-5 demigods, but I did pick 10th. I think between Ball, Ellington, Jennings and Bell I can put up solid numbers. Sankey and Bradshaw are there just for the "Hey, what if Sankey proves them wrong? / Hey, what if TRich keeps sucking poo poo?" I think Smith would help my WR corps which is high-upside but has few proven guys.

I'm just looking at your bench. If you trade Sankey you're basically hoping that Trich fails in order to have any depth at all. If Trich suddenly plays well, you've got nobody outside those 4 you're starting if you get rid of Sankey.

Obviously you can flex WRs or whatever, but I was just looking at the depth.

• Locked thread