Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Phaena posted:

Sooo cute!!!! What's her personality like so far?

So far personality is like gently caress YOU IMMA STAY UNDER MOM WHERE IT'S WARM. Thus being unable to get it out for a picture.

As you can see, she's having trouble keeping all eight remaining eggs covered. Hard for a tiny silkie when that deadbeat easter egger starts dumping them all off on her. No new hatches yet.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^^ Cute pics! I'd candle those eggs and remove any duds ASAP, poor mama has too many.

Welp, seems we have Marek's--the ocular variety--in our flock. Butters, our two year old millefleur Belgian d'Uccle, is going blind. It's not total so far and she's fiesty and perky enough, otherwise healthy. But for now she's living in the small run because a few of the other girls are picking on her.

I hate Marek's, it's so damned pervasive.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^^ Cute pics! I'd candle those eggs and remove any duds ASAP, poor mama has too many.

Welp, seems we have Marek's--the ocular variety--in our flock. Butters, our two year old millefleur Belgian d'Uccle, is going blind. It's not total so far and she's fiesty and perky enough, otherwise healthy. But for now she's living in the small run because a few of the other girls are picking on her.

I hate Marek's, it's so damned pervasive.

OH NO! Is it something you can treat? Dang VS! Most of what I have read is NOT GOOD. YIKES!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

spookygonk posted:

Me neither. Just assumed all were chooks. Poor duck, no identity of its own.

:colbert: I'll have you know that I have two ducks and they definitely know they are ducks. They make a huge mess everywhere to let everyone else know they are ducks too.

The Rat, the chick is adorable! So is big floofy mama

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I normally wouldn't post more until I had more hatches, but omg :3:

The eggs I could get to and flashlight seemed to be pretty far along in development. Almost no light passed through, other than on one tip or another. I was only able to get to 4 of them though. So we'll see!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

Hard for a tiny silkie when that deadbeat easter egger starts dumping them all off on her. No new hatches yet.

So does the deadbeat Easter Egger really force HER eggs under the little Silkie? Does the dead beat lay her eggs near the Silkie and the Silkie is compelled to pull the eggs under her?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rat posted:

OMG! That photo is so precious! I love chicks snuggled up on mama's back! Is that her actual chick? :D

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

So does the deadbeat Easter Egger really force HER eggs under the little Silkie? Does the dead beat lay her eggs near the Silkie and the Silkie is compelled to pull the eggs under her?

The one time I caught her, she had just forced her way into the nest and was trying to lay. I assume that Fajita was being a good mom and pulled the eggs under her. I've separated her out from the standard nest spot now, so no more infiltrators.

Inveigle posted:

OMG! That photo is so precious! I love chicks snuggled up on mama's back! Is that her actual chick? :D

Not hers. Currently her only actual kid has been Hemingway. Striker Eureka is this one's mom, and the rest (supposing they hatch) are all from Crimson Typhoon.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

OH NO! Is it something you can treat? Dang VS! Most of what I have read is NOT GOOD. YIKES!

No treatment for Marek's, it's a virus related to the Herpes virus (yum!). It cannot cross over to humans and does not transfer through eggs from mother to chick. Younger birds tend to get it over older birds, though none are immune. It's one of those things that lives well outside of the host and can be transferred from wild birds, on the wind, being tracked in on your shoes, etc. You CAN vaccinate chicks in the first 36 hours of their lives.

I'm guessing it's more of an issue up here because we have a much wider range and number of wild birds coming and going. If I had to choose a strain of Marek's, I guess I'd choose the ocular strain, since the birds seem otherwise healthy.

In other news, I was just out back and one of my neighbor's pullets had gotten out, the two chocolate Labs were doing their best to eat her. :pwn: I heard her screaming and yelled at the dogs and they wandered off, but nothing from the neighbors so I assumed they weren't home. At first I didn't know if it was one our our chickens or theirs. I called 12_String out, he jumped the fence and found the hen in the bushes. I brought her into the house and checked her, other than some missing feathers and a wet tail she seems fine. But PISSED.

The neighbors were home but hadn't heard the commotion, they came out when one of them noticed a man wandering around in their yard. :keke: They found an opening in the top wire of their run where the hen had gotten out and fixed it.

Lordy, the death scream of a chicken is a horrible thing.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Welp, Dust seems to think she's a rooster now. I haven't seen her try to mate with the other hens (she'd do that after we lost Roostroyer and before we got Tabasco), but I saw her call the hens to get the treats she found. Cutest bokbokbok ever :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

Welp, Dust seems to think she's a rooster now. I haven't seen her try to mate with the other hens (she'd do that after we lost Roostroyer and before we got Tabasco), but I saw her call the hens to get the treats she found. Cutest bokbokbok ever :3:

awwwww Dust! :sparkles:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

We have broodies that call over the other chickens for food--they come running, then look REALLY confused. Very cute.

In other news, since Skillet and Bruce do everything together anyway, including brood, they decided to both molt their tails and go about looking like quail.

Also, CM took exception to Frosty (who also molted his tail) getting pets from one of HER humans and picked a fight.

She growled and growled, but Frosty didn't get the message.

They circle each other, CM growling up a storm and starting to puff up...

And....GO!

The other hens were a bit freaked, but on CM's side. After this Frosty ran off.

BATTLE CHICKEN! :black101:

I love her splayed toes gripping the mud. I think the thunderstorms that had just finished inspired her.

Don't mess with banties, man.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 25, 2014

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

omg adorable

You can totally see her in that last picture being all ENGAGING COMBAT MODE

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Dear Avian Gods of Puberty: Please be kind to VS' remaining roo-boys, and let them stay mellow, and therefore in the flock.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

The Rat posted:

The eggs I could get to and flashlight seemed to be pretty far along in development. Almost no light passed through, other than on one tip or another. I was only able to get to 4 of them though. So we'll see!

OH MY GOODNESS. Congratulations! That picture is so adorable, please post more!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:black101: Banties own.

Help we are up to 3-4 eggs per day now. I need egg recipes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I love her splayed toes gripping the mud. I think the thunderstorms that had just finished inspired her.

U WOT M8

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Pip pip pip posted:

:black101: Banties own.

Help we are up to 3-4 eggs per day now. I need egg recipes.

VS's banties are hardcore!

Pip, just off the top of my head:
Scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, fried eggs, quiche, frittata, various egg bakes (casseroles?), cakes and some cake-y cookies, merengues, hard boiled eggs, egg salads, other salads with egg as an ingredient (certain potato/macaroni salad recipes?), and if you want to get really fancy and have a good blender you can make your own mayonnaise!

I'm getting 2 per day and expecting the other two girls to start laying soon, and my husband is still weirded out by eating something that came from OUR chickens' butts (he's fine with store eggs, lolwut?) so I am eating them all myself. :3 I like to mix various diced veggies into them in the morning, or add fried egg to sandwiches (ham and cheese with fried egg, yum!). We also love quiche, you can put so many tasty veggies in them. Haven't tried a quiche with our eggs yet though.

Edit: Custards? Oh, and I have specific recipes for some stuff, like a California Egg Bake (with jalapenos!).

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We have broodies that call over the other chickens for food--they come running, then look REALLY confused. Very cute.

In other news, since Skillet and Bruce do everything together anyway, including brood, they decided to both molt their tails and go about looking like quail.

I talk about Skillet and Pie all the time and now I have more photos of both of them :3: Thank you soooo much!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, CM took exception to Frosty (who also molted his tail) getting pets from one of HER humans and picked a fight.

She growled and growled, but Frosty didn't get the message.

And....GO!

CMCluck, what a spitfire! She is so freakin' adorable! Thanks for the photos VS!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

"Come at me, son."
Amazing, especially with the large size difference between CM and Frosty.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I keep coming back to this picture and laughing. It's so awesome. I picture the Pacific Rim main theme playing in the background.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My chickens found and ate a frog/toad today :gonk::frog:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pip pip pip posted:

MWHA HAHAHAHA congratulations on your little carnivores! Did you get a photo? I think that is just amazing!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The other hens were a bit freaked, but on CM's side. After this Frosty ran off.

I love this picture! CM's pose, the size difference between her and Frosty, the other chickens trying not to get involved. I love bantams, they have just as much spirit as a bigger chicken, all in one compact package.

Pip pip pip posted:

Kali and Alecto loved eating dried frog snacks they found after one of our neighbours cleaned a bunch of dead tree frogs out of his caravan and threw them over the fence. The grass had grown up around them so they had a lot of fun foraging around to get all their frogs.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

piscesbobbie posted:

MWHA HAHAHAHA congratulations on your little carnivores! Did you get a photo? I think that is just amazing!

There was too much spastic flailing around to get a photo, but we tried to get a short video clip of them chasing each other around for it:

http://youtu.be/4J2oVOaVJ6Q

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pip pip pip posted:

There was too much spastic flailing around to get a photo, but we tried to get a short video clip of them chasing each other around for it:

http://youtu.be/4J2oVOaVJ6Q

LOVE to watch a good game of Food Tag! Thank you for sharing!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Number two from this brood hatched!

Also, a shocking plot twist regarding number one's parentage. (The gray one.) I thought that Dumpling was for sure the father, since he's the only mature rooster we currently have. Noticed today that the little gray chick has FIVE toes, not four, which is a silkie trait. And since the mother is known, that means that Tetrazzini is the father. Of course, Tetrazzini died right at the end of last month. So, this presents two potential scenarios:

Scenario one: Tetrazzini knocked up Striker on the day he died, and that went on to fertilize the egg which was laid a few days later.

Scenario two: Ghostcock impregnating our hens. Which is exactly what I'd expect that little douchebag to do if he were to come back from beyond the grave.

Frankly I'm thinking it's scenario two. :ghost::dong:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Is there a chicken version of Maury you can go on?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yay, Tet! :black101:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

He went out with a bang.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Rat posted:

Scenario one: Tetrazzini knocked up Striker on the day he died, and that went on to fertilize the egg which was laid a few days later.

Scenario two: Ghostcock impregnating our hens. Which is exactly what I'd expect that little douchebag to do if he were to come back from beyond the grave.

Ghooooost roosters ... on the tail!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

That's so cool to have a Tet baby!

We need to see another photo of that chick that shows his five toes! :)

Who is the poppa of the second chick?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

The Rat posted:

Number two from this brood hatched!

Also, a shocking plot twist regarding number one's parentage.

:allears:

What an exciting development! So now you have a Tetbaby... what are you gonna name him/her?

Also, little fluffball chicks, SO CUTE. I hope more of them hatch!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

spookygonk posted:

He went out with a bang.

The more I think about it, the more this seems like an appropriate scenario for his death. It was rainy all day, so he was already shivering and cold. And then he used his last reserves of strength to get him one last go at that hot cloaca-on-cloaca action and croaked.

This one is his second kid though, the first was Jesus, the yellow pullet on the left here:

Not sure what I'm gonna name the new chicks yet. Was gonna wait and see how many hatch and survive over the coming weeks. That's my SOP. Only broke it with Jesus and Hemingway because they were born on Easter, so I pretty much had to.

Will try and get some pictures of the gray chick's five toes tomorrow.

Inveigle: I'm fairly certain Dumpling is the second chick's father. Mostly black feathers, and feathering starting down the legs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Faerunner posted:

:allears:

What an exciting development! So now you have a Tetbaby... what are you gonna name him/her?
Tetsuo

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

:golfclap:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

The Tet Offensive

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Engineer Lenk posted:

The Tet Offensive

Hahaha, I kinda like this one.

Mom managed to get the chicks to come out a bit today. Tried to snap some pictures to show off number one's five toes. This was the best one I managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Very pretty chicks!