Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this was my read on it, good to know left wing types are as gullible and easily swayed by invoking the right buzzwords as their teabagger counterparts.

My friend, have I told you about my anti-GMO PAC? I call it AGMOPAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Beans are gonna roll around anyway

that's what the cornbread's for, in which neither creamed corn nor sugar have any place

also you guys are forgetting william kristol's the son of irving kristol, making him arguably the first of the modern idiot child journalists who otherwise would've been laughed out of town if it weren't for their parents' connections

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 28, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gail Wynand posted:

just do search for brianboyko on reddit lah

Is the dude still using his real name for his embarassing nerd posts did he learn nothing from his reaming on D&D?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

southern food question: black eyed peas and collards mixed together, or separate?

I love to mix em together with some
dirty rice added, but mama always said if you're eating the black eyed peas and collard greens on new years for good luck and money, you can't mix them together or the effects get diluted.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Is the dude still using his real name for his embarassing nerd posts did he learn nothing from his reaming on D&D?
nope he's still cookin

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Swan Oat posted:

Wait til a non-Gulf person hears you call someone coon rear end.
About seven or eight years ago here I made that mistake here on the forum and got yelled at by a guy from Louisiana for being a bigot. I assumed that's what was going on and proceeded to explain that it's not a racist term down on the Gulf Coast, but I was off the mark. He was seriously pissed that it was bigoted against people from Louisiana in general and how would I feel if he used some derogatory word for Texans?

Yeah, we Texans never catch any poo poo, let me tell you!

Sometimes you just have to loving laugh at people.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Nearly spit out my beer!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought coon rear end was a term for cajun people specifically not anyone from the state of Louisana. Given their culture's been pretty much wiped out by state education policy I get being sensitive about it, although maybe not at internet people because really

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

R. Mute, I keep forgetting to ask you. About 10 years ago, I met a man who said he was Belgian and I asked him if he was the right kind of Belgian with some elbow nudging and he got really offended. Who was in the wrong?
as arbiter of all things belgian: he was.

i'll be sure to bring it up at our next meeting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I assume the right kind of Belgians are Walloons

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

:o

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
East Cantons, best cantons

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
i didn't actually think that "gook" meant the same thing in Thai as the US, and that was my original question...when I couldn't find the term on (english-speaking)Google and he wasn't answering I figured I'd keep pressing because its not as if it would be out of character for Reindeer to post some casually insulting poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Would you rather raise a child with bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Would you rather raise a child with bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder?

Bipolar.

BPD is a total nightmare. At least people with bipolar approximate humans from time to time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Happy first (real) day of college football!! gently caress the NCAA forever!!

go vandals on Saturday

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, BPD is like the "makes you an unbelievably lovely person" disease. My friend is having to work through splitting his parents estate with his BPD brother and the stories he tells are just beyond the pale.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have represented tons of people with bipolar. It is probably over and misdiagnosed, but whatever. They can function in life and get married and have kids.

I dont represent BPD people because they cant even manage to hire an attorney. They are absurdist tragedies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The biggest problem with bipolar is treating it effectively because the main treatment, lithium, has cumulative toxicity in the body and the fatal dose isn't much more than the therapeutic dose. Also people who are feeling super manic feel great and don't want to take their meds, and lithium can really make you feel like poo poo.

There is no treatment issue with BPD because there are no medications that are recognized as effective treatments.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Death.

Death is an effective treatment.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

The biggest problem with bipolar is treating it effectively because the main treatment, lithium, has cumulative toxicity in the body and the fatal dose isn't much more than the therapeutic dose. Also people who are feeling super manic feel great and don't want to take their meds, and lithium can really make you feel like poo poo.

There is no treatment issue with BPD because there are no medications that are recognized as effective treatments.

I thought that CBT was showing some promise but maybe I'm thinking of something completely different.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Supposedly dialectical behavior therapy works but therapists can't handle many patients at a time, even one BPD patient is a huge burden.

edit: by "works" I mean "make person less of a total disaster and lower e.g. suicide rate to a level still way higher than normal"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

I thought that CBT was showing some promise but maybe I'm thinking of something completely different.

Yeah I don't think CBT is even recommended in the case of BPD.

My personal opinion is that serious psychological disorders like BiPD, BPD, clinical depression, etc. are the result of chemical imbalances and better treated with medication than therapy.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

My personal opinion is that serious psychological disorders like BiPD, BPD, clinical depression, etc. are the result of chemical imbalances and better treated with medication than therapy.

I think I was either thinking of dialectical behavioral therapy (which I understood as a layman with a passing interest to be a subset of CBT) or some other disorder.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

That's not so much an opinion as it is long term scientific consensus.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Personality disorders generally don't respond well to any kind of treatment.

Mood disorders (like bipolar) seem more amenable to crude chemical intervention. Personality disorders seem more like a hardware problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's not so much an opinion as it is long term scientific consensus.

Most of my opinions are that.

pangstrom posted:

Mood disorders (like bipolar) seem more amenable to crude chemical intervention. Personality disorders seem more like a hardware problem.

Depends. OCD is quite treatable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pangstrom posted:

It is often difficult to really nail down whether a particular person is "really" having a "personality" problem or a "mood" problem before treatment.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There's OCD and then there's OCPD. Guess which one is easier to treat :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah psychology is still very much in its "leeching the bad humours" phase and I imagine whoever treats psych problems 500 years in the future will recoil in horror at the practices of our era.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah my best friend is a psychiatrist and basically thinks the field hasn't really advanced in the last 20 years. I think it has but the points I make are small enough that he's basically right.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 28, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Yeah my best friend is a psychiatrist and basically thinks the field hasn't really advanced in the last 20 years. I think it has but the points are make are small enough that he's basically right.

There is just sooo much we don't know about the human mind, much less the brain. We treat BiPD with lithium, but we have no idea why it works. It was discovered on accident when a dude was injecting crazy person piss into rats for some reason and used lithium salts for chemical reasons and found out it tranqed them :shrug:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yeah psychology is still very much in its "leeching the bad humours" phase and I imagine whoever treats psych problems 500 years in the future will recoil in horror at the practices of our era.

I envy your belief in human progress.

Ceilingfan
Mar 28, 2007

Dapperpus
What's happening with the Brain Initiative? Are there any cool projects that have funding yet?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

There is just sooo much we don't know about the human mind, much less the brain. We treat BiPD with lithium, but we have no idea why it works. It was discovered on accident when a dude was injecting crazy person piss into rats for some reason and used lithium salts for chemical reasons and found out it tranqed them :shrug:

I think that neuroscience can help better understand these problems but I am doubtful it will be as helpful at first. It's more like neuroscience is "helping us understand what we already know" which is a mistake, I think. Or I found some terrible neuroscientists.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

And another drug that has been used in recent years for treating bipolar disorder, lamotrigine, was originally a treatment for epilepsy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Technogeek posted:

And another drug that has been used in recent years for treating bipolar disorder, lamotrigine, was originally a treatment for epilepsy.

A lot of psych drugs are like that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

my personal opinion is that it's dumb to pick between the two and that people who suffer from disorders like that need to get both. even if the medication does what it needs to do, there are still psychological elements to it (like 'gently caress i have this disorder how do i handle this' or 'social relationships are hard because of this poo poo') that won't get magicked away with medication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

my personal opinion is that it's dumb to pick between the two and that people who suffer from disorders like that need to get both. even if the medication does what it needs to do, there are still psychological elements to it (like 'gently caress i have this disorder how do i handle this' or 'social relationships are hard because of this poo poo') that won't get magicked away with medication.

Depends. I think people should start with medication and then get therapy if they need more help. Remember also we live in a country where therapy probably is not covered by insurance and meds are so you get to pick one and not the other :thumbsup:

• Locked thread