Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So it seems to me by just looking at the changes I get every level up that after about 25 or so points into an attribute the upgrade you get per point starts to go down? Like I used to get about 2 stamina per endurance point before but am now getting one. Is there like an asymptotic limit to the diminishing returns?

I mean, I know level ups in DS have always been "small" relatively speaking, but they add up and are worth it after a while. But I've got like 26 points in the HP stat , the stam stat and adaptability, about 32 in vitality (the encumbrance one) and uh 43? in strength. Am I getting to the point where things really start to slow down?

edit: also haha drat the Looking Glass Knight or whatever was a really fun fight. I managed to take him out in one try but I think that's really only because I was able to take his big ~4 swing combo on my shield and not get creamed. The only times I could really get any damage in on him though was when he did the phantom summon thing. Otherwise I was being really hesitant trying to figure out his moves and just stay alive. Which I really think is the best lesson Dark Souls can teach you: be patient and take things slow.

Or well not all the time. Like after a couple tries on the huge spider monster I realized that the thing wasn't gonna really chase me so I hoofed it across the room to dodge all the lil spiders, then took care of them.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phew I beat Sir Alonne on my first attempt. That guy was sooo much easier than the other two bosses. Speaking of which, I've now got one Smelter Wedge left but I don't know where the last ashen idol is. Is there one in the Iron Passage? I got fed up with that area so haven't even beat the boss yet.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The timer for the crown is about the same as the timer for Denial at 20FTH.

I will never not have Denial on again.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Regy Rusty posted:

Phew I beat Sir Alonne on my first attempt. That guy was sooo much easier than the other two bosses. Speaking of which, I've now got one Smelter Wedge left but I don't know where the last ashen idol is. Is there one in the Iron Passage? I got fed up with that area so haven't even beat the boss yet.

There is not.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

No, not one there. Have you tried the door that's right behind you when you use the fire scepter? What about the door on the way up top with a lava shoulder dude that's constantly being healed by the idol?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kazil posted:

There is not.

Well that's good. I wonder what I missed then. I got the one in the cursed tower, and the one in the small cursed area near where you stick the scepter and all the others were along the main paths.

Flytrap posted:

What about the door on the way up top with a lava shoulder dude that's constantly being healed by the idol?

Hmm that doesn't sound familiar. I bet that's what it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did that ridiculous hand-to-hand moveset Genocyber found actually end up in the DLC?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

So it seems to me by just looking at the changes I get every level up that after about 25 or so points into an attribute the upgrade you get per point starts to go down? Like I used to get about 2 stamina per endurance point before but am now getting one. Is there like an asymptotic limit to the diminishing returns?

I mean, I know level ups in DS have always been "small" relatively speaking, but they add up and are worth it after a while. But I've got like 26 points in the HP stat , the stam stat and adaptability, about 32 in vitality (the encumbrance one) and uh 43? in strength. Am I getting to the point where things really start to slow down?

Yes, the stats all have distinct soft caps beyond which your primary stat -> secondary stat exchange rate drops like a rock:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

idk what the official terminology is but a "primary stat" is a stat you directly put points into, which then causes one or more "secondary stats" to increase and those are the ones that actually do stuff.

quote:

edit: also haha drat the Looking Glass Knight or whatever was a really fun fight. I managed to take him out in one try but I think that's really only because I was able to take his big ~4 swing combo on my shield and not get creamed. The only times I could really get any damage in on him though was when he did the phantom summon thing. Otherwise I was being really hesitant trying to figure out his moves and just stay alive. Which I really think is the best lesson Dark Souls can teach you: be patient and take things slow.

Or well not all the time. Like after a couple tries on the huge spider monster I realized that the thing wasn't gonna really chase me so I hoofed it across the room to dodge all the lil spiders, then took care of them.

Don't hide behind a shield, learn the rhythm of the enemies' attacks and learn to dodge them. The next second boss after LGK will punish the poo poo out of you if you don't break this habit right now.

You do do know you have to level Agility in order to increase the invincibility frames in your roll beyond the initial terrible value, right? Put points into Adaptability ASAP if you have not, burn a Soul Vessel to reallocate your points if you have to. Aim for 100 Agility.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The last one I needed was the one at the beginning of the DLC. I had no idea it rises out of the ground like that.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Where do you get additional wedges? I don't think I found any after the first five you end up with. I ended up beating FK with only two of the statues turned off.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Almost every stat starts to drop off at around 40. There are different limits you want to hit depending on weapon choice, though. For example I think most quality builds either cap at 40/40 or 60/50 but that's rare.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I want the fume sorcerer daggers.
I wanna be a wizard.

PS is the chime from the dlc soul worth it at all, it looks like absolute poo poo honestly

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
No and the daggers are both poo poo too

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Tonight I am going to become a youtube superstar. Prepare yourselves

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Thumbtacks posted:

No and the daggers are both poo poo too

No they have cool names and look good theyre instantly the best

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Yes, the stats all have distinct soft caps beyond which your primary stat -> secondary stat exchange rate drops like a rock:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

idk what the official terminology is but a "primary stat" is a stat you directly put points into, which then causes one or more "secondary stats" to increase and those are the ones that actually do stuff.

Don't hide behind a shield, learn the rhythm of the enemies' attacks and learn to dodge them. The next second boss after LGK will punish the poo poo out of you if you don't break this habit right now.

You do do know you have to level Agility in order to increase the invincibility frames in your roll beyond the initial terrible value, right? Put points into Adaptability ASAP if you have not, burn a Soul Vessel to reallocate your points if you have to. Aim for 100 Agility.

Yeah don't worry I can move when I need to, I have I think 97 agility last time I checked? Also I have a crap load of vitality and penal mask and the ring that reduces encumbrance. I feel like I'm a lot more agile than I have any right to be with all the armor I'm wearing.

I was taking most of the lgks hits on my shield cause I didn't know what to expect really. Most of the time I was staying far away from him.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I want the fume sorcerer daggers.
I wanna be a wizard.

PS is the chime from the dlc soul worth it at all, it looks like absolute poo poo honestly
It's a piece of poo poo buy her pyro skill instead it's so loving cool.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

No they have cool names and look good theyre instantly the best

This, but unironically.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you get the sorcerer's clothing at least?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I got the chest piece from one of them so yeah

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Apparently yes I haven't seen it personally but the entire set is on the wiki. Sadly it doesn't look as cool as it does on them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aww. Ah well, I'll get myself a set anyway.

Also, 'driven away from world you have invaded'. Is that code for 'they pulled their cable'? Just had this happen several times, losing orbs each while.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So this happened when I loaded my save, but it went back to normal afterwards. Any idea how this happened?

Normal.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
RE: The Iron Passage and the hate it's getting. Why are you stopping to kill the enemies? Why do you need the shinies? I haven't even bothered with trying to get all the treasures in there because I know that they just aren't going to be worth the effort. It's been that way the entire game. What's that really hard to get treasure up there on that ledge? Oh it's just a consumable, whatever. The boss at the end is nothing special anyway it's just a re-skinned base game mini-boss. You don't need help for it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Stokes posted:

RE: The Iron Passage and the hate it's getting. Why are you stopping to kill the enemies? Why do you need the shinies? I haven't even bothered with trying to get all the treasures in there because I know that they just aren't going to be worth the effort. It's been that way the entire game. What's that really hard to get treasure up there on that ledge? Oh it's just a consumable, whatever. The boss at the end is nothing special anyway it's just a re-skinned base game mini-boss. You don't need help for it.

"git gud scrubs"

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

kazil posted:

"git gud scrubs"

My point is that you don't even have to 'git gud' but ok.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

xanthan posted:

So this happened when I loaded my save, but it went back to normal afterwards. Any idea how this happened?
<snip>
Tattoo's are glitched and will occasionally give your character a nasty case of blackface. Resting at a bonfire or going through a loading screen tends to fix it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stokes posted:

I've been doing this but it's still really annoying because there are a lot of enemies that are difficult to get past without injury. The worst thing is those stupid magic guys who cast a slowdown spell on you.

And I'm still bad at Smelter. :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I remember something with the frame rate for PC made it so that weapons would deteriorate twice as fast, and while fighting the dragon at the end of the first DLC it seems like my greatsword is being worn down really fast and gets near to breaking after only taking off around half his health. Is the game still bugged or does this guy just have a special property that makes weapons lose durability a lot faster when hitting him?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I remember something with the frame rate for PC made it so that weapons would deteriorate twice as fast, and while fighting the dragon at the end of the first DLC it seems like my greatsword is being worn down really fast and gets near to breaking after only taking off around half his health. Is the game still bugged or does this guy just have a special property that makes weapons lose durability a lot faster when hitting him?

His toxic clouds are also acid, pretty sure.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

does this guy just have a special property that makes weapons lose durability a lot faster when hitting him?
Yep. Hitting Sinh's torso, legs and tail does increased durability damage. Hitting his head and neck does normal durability damage.
Keep some repair powder on you or have the repair spell attuned.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Stokes posted:

My point is that you don't even have to 'git gud' but ok.

You are dismissing the difficulty of the entire Iron Passage. There are a bajillion enemies, casters with aoe attacks, archers, narrow passages and no time to breathe. At the end of it you have to face a buffed smelter demon who was one of the toughest bosses of the base game. You can try to run past the gates, but you only have one chance to do so while enemies and fireballs crowd your rear end.

It's a lovely sequence.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
There's no way to fog wall farm the Monastery Set guy on the PC, is there? I'd really like to gather up the set, but the thought of doing that poo poo 50 times makes me never want to play again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
That explains why he's giving me so much trouble. Than and all his unblockable attacks, double-poison effects, and the fact that my character is a straightforward sword/board combo with no way to hit him while he's flying around.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr Dog posted:

Wait, who are you talking about here? Smelter was the big one that made me give up just blocking and he's before LGK.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stokes posted:

So you're basically agreeing that it's total garbage, right?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

kazil posted:

You are dismissing the difficulty of the entire Iron Passage. There are a bajillion enemies, casters with aoe attacks, archers, narrow passages and no time to breathe. At the end of it you have to face a buffed smelter demon who was one of the toughest bosses of the base game. You can try to run past the gates, but you only have one chance to do so while enemies and fireballs crowd your rear end.

It's a lovely sequence.

I did this in one take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzYEFLvxYA

Hakkesshu posted:

So you're basically agreeing that it's total garbage, right?

Yes but not in the way he says it is.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I always assumed the optional routes are supposed to be lovely enemy zergs with annoying mechanics by design. They're supposed to be for co-op and are probably slightly easier with multiple humans tackling them. They're also seemingly designed to not be cleared methodically unless you're into that, but sort of slugged through to get to the boss. At the very least, the Sunken King one and Sir Alonne area both feel that way, even though you could go through them clearing out all the enemies.

They did say these areas would be really painful and intended for group play. You barely get much from clearing them anyway.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Agh, had a really good duel with someone in the undead forest but my Mail Breaker hits weren't registering so she could just hide behind her shield. :saddowns:

Was this before or after you'd learned the route off by heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Running past poo poo is my least favourite thing to do in Souls games.