Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Being browser based also means that you can Chromecast Roll20 to a tv in the room, which is what my group does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I used to use Map Tool, and I think that is probably a more powerful tool if you can put in the time. We stopped using it because while that's true, it takes a good deal of effort before you start getting a payout - you have to get everyone to install it, find the library assets you want, host a server successfully for everyone to connect to (this always caused us a surprising amount of trouble), before you can even start playing. Roll20 comes up a little shorter in terms of what you can actually do, but starts paying off at any effort level - you can just send people a link and use it as a functional dice roller, for instance, with zero hassle.

As far as I am concerned, setting up the server is the reason I'm not going back to MapTool. I really loved its ability to spit out macros in HTML, so people's attacks came out in formatted, easy-to-read blocks attached to their token images . . . but not having to keep everyone on the same version, and definitely not having to figure out why nobody can connect to a server that was fine last week means Roll20.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Night10194 posted:

Four human Journeyman Wizards and one douchebag elf majoring in communications, fireballs, and rubbing his lack of student loans in their faces. I can't wait until they leave me to die out of resentment.

If you're playing an elf you deserve everything that happens to you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

If you're playing an elf you deserve everything that happens to you.

That's my entire reason to play an elf. I'm playing Elf Johnny Bravo so they can laugh when I fail and turn out to be lame.

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.
So, I've come home from Gen Con and got a copy of the Dark Heresy 2nd edition core book.

Has anybody already done a "best of" or a "FAQ" of what's in the new edition or can I be the first?

Biggest changes are the character creation and Psyker stuff. But I can kinda gush about the other things assuming nobody has already.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

janusmaxwell posted:

So, I've come home from Gen Con and got a copy of the Dark Heresy 2nd edition core book.

Has anybody already done a "best of" or a "FAQ" of what's in the new edition or can I be the first?

Biggest changes are the character creation and Psyker stuff. But I can kinda gush about the other things assuming nobody has already.

Think I saw a pic that mentioned Graviton guns, what are the rules on that?

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

frajaq posted:

Think I saw a pic that mentioned Graviton guns, what are the rules on that?

Graviton weapons, pistol or gun, have the Concussive and Graviton quality. The Graviton quality means that whatever location is hit with the weapon, if it has armor on it, will take that armors rating as damage. Blatantly negating the armor portion of the armor/toughness damage combination.

Plus it creates an amusing mental image for me of a possible dialogue exchange:

"For the Emperor!"
"Is that Terminator armor? That's just adorable!"
*headshot*
"Aww, it looks like he's wearing a soda can for a helmet...albeit one that's leaking blood..."

Damage and Pen for the pistol/basic are 1d10+3/1d10+6 and Pen 6/8 respectively.

janusmaxwell fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 27, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, a termie with 14 armour actually takes 1d10+3 +14 -(14-6) = 1d10+9 - TB damage from the pistol? Or does it do it as bonus damage, meaning they take 1d10 + 3 - (14-6) - TB damage, and then 14 - TB, meaning you always hurt poo poo?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going from the tabletop version the damage done will be 1d10+3+14-Toughness.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

janusmaxwell posted:

Yeah I did that like a page back. In fact I was live posting stuff about the book from Gen con. :colbert: The general consensus from #acolyte seems to be that no one is happy since it lacks rules for creating your own inquisition cell, and other minor nit pick crap.

I so far like what I see. It might even take the "best character creation process" award from rogue trader, because even FFG realizes limiting to archetypes in the fluff is stupid and specifically allows for any combination of home world, career, and role.

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

Werix posted:

Yeah I did that like a page back. In fact I was live posting stuff about the book from Gen con. :colbert: The general consensus from #acolyte seems to be that no one is happy since it lacks rules for creating your own inquisition cell, and other minor nit pick crap.

I so far like what I see. It might even take the "best character creation process" award from rogue trader, because even FFG realizes limiting to archetypes in the fluff is stupid and specifically allows for any combination of home world, career, and role.

Oh...well I feel like a dumbass.

Then I'll just comment with how much I love the fact that they have an advanced class for actually making Inquisitors.

General question regarding 40KRP though, I would KILL for someone to tell me or stat out whatever the hell Pentagrammic wards are.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

janusmaxwell posted:

Oh...well I feel like a dumbass.

Then I'll just comment with how much I love the fact that they have an advanced class for actually making Inquisitors.

General question regarding 40KRP though, I would KILL for someone to tell me or stat out whatever the hell Pentagrammic wards are.

Don't feel like a dumb rear end. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who bought the damned book. I like the inquisitor being an elite advance as well. The big problem is the book doesn't give guidance on how to be an inquisitor, like the ascension book in 1.0.

That's about the only complaint I have. Getting away from the rank based advanced scheme to the aptitude one is a good move. I like the ability to burn influence to call down a loving space marine, hell I like the abstract "loud or covert" system, even if most people are going to ignore it like rogue trader achievement points.

I still have to dive into the fluff on the new sector, plus really look at the enemies, though I like that they have threat ratings now. Figuring out what exactly to throw at players has been an issue for me in the past.

Now the rest of you nerds get it so we can PBP!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

janusmaxwell posted:

From the precursor to 40kRP, Inquisitor: "These are a special type of psychic field, sometimes known as a Shield of Faith, which protects the wearer from daemons. Any daemonic character halves all of their characteristics whilst within 5 yards of pentagrammic wards."

Also hexagrammic wards: "These wards protect against psychic attack. A psyker that is targeting a character with hexagrammic wards halves his Willpower for his Psychic test. The wards also count as D10 force field armour against psychic bolt attacks."

Note that Hexagrammic Wards were actually carried over to Dark Heresy in Inquisitor's Handbook (p189).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, they seem to work differently depending on system and writer, as with much in 40K :)

I always loved that you could have a sanctioning effect that was having your gums tattooed with the wards, leaving you unable to speak of chaos!

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

From the precursor to 40kRP, Inquisitor: "These are a special type of psychic field, sometimes known as a Shield of Faith, which protects the wearer from daemons. Any daemonic character halves all of their characteristics whilst within 5 yards of pentagrammic wards."

Also hexagrammic wards: "These wards protect against psychic attack. A psyker that is targeting a character with hexagrammic wards halves his Willpower for his Psychic test. The wards also count as D10 force field armour against psychic bolt attacks."

Note that Hexagrammic Wards were actually carried over to Dark Heresy in Inquisitor's Handbook (p189).

O_0 holy poo poo Pentagrammic wards are loving BOSS! Jesus Gry knights should just rapetrain demons!

You know, its one of the silliest aspects of of 40K how powerful some of the equipment is, and how relatively easy to make it is, but its not standard for any imperial guardsman because of reasons (forgotten tech/forbidden lore/tech heresy/gently caress-you-that's-why) to make the setting more grimdark.

Makes a lot of stuff that can be done for the lulz or lucky rolls all the more fun. Personal experience: I created a guardsman who survived the entirety of a dark heresy questline, who I took "feral worlder" to mean TF2's heavy if he was raised by moonshiners in Tennessee. Not personal experience, a DH group running a mission to grab a tech-priest from a Tyranid run world about to be exterminatused had one character stay behind. Lucky rolls and only one burned fate point later, the mother fucker survived a goddamn exterminatus.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Not to derail but I need some help in my rogue trader campaign. I have the group searching for an ejected lost planet and they did a bunch of work getting the supplies needed finding charts of where it might have been but now they actually have to go there. I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics of starship travel and how to use the rules to represent time lost or gained. I'm trying to avoid the narrative being " You set out..... And you found it"

Any help would be appreciated

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Isn't that stuff on Navis Primer?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unless there's a pressing time constraint on some other venture, there's no reason why they shouldn't just get there. They've done the work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Not to derail but I need some help in my rogue trader campaign. I have the group searching for an ejected lost planet and they did a bunch of work getting the supplies needed finding charts of where it might have been but now they actually have to go there. I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics of starship travel and how to use the rules to represent time lost or gained. I'm trying to avoid the narrative being " You set out..... And you found it"

Any help would be appreciated

Not sure what you mean by 'ejected' (typo?), but the mechanics are:
1. They're going into the unknown, so the navigator will probably not know how long the journey takes.
2. 1 day of travel in "open warp" (unhindered warp passage) will go by as 12 days in the real world.
3. The trip length will depend on the distance gone and the stability of the warp. See page 184 of the Core rules. As you're going on archaic maps and a possibly unstable warp route, you may want to add 25-50% to the trip duration.
4. Other than that, you need to test for finding the astronomican, plotting a course and warp encounters as detailed on pages 184-186.

Since you, the GM, makes the travel navigation rolls in secret you can always fudge 'em and have them appear in the wrong part of space, 100 years in the past, a xenos ambush, or some other Character-Building Experience(tm).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone heard anything about when we can expect an official Dark Heresy 2nd Edition PDF release?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Give it six months, thats how long it usually takes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FireSight posted:

Give it six months, thats how long it usually takes.

:wtc: that should be like a 5 minute process. Sad that :filez: will beat them to "File->Save as PDF"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Azhais posted:

:wtc: that should be like a 5 minute process. Sad that :filez: will beat them to "File->Save as PDF"

It's not that MAKING it takes that long (although it is FAR more complex than that. The file used for printing is NOT the same as one you would use to make a PDF, speaking as somebody who has family doing the layout job for textbooks). It's that BOOKS ARE EXPENSIVE and made in a a large run all at once, which means they need people to buy the physical books. Not having a PDF available is supposed to encourage that. I'm not sure if it actually does, but thats the idea most publishers work off of.

Thats why ebook/paperback versions of new books used to come out a few weeks after the hardcover copy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FireSight posted:

It's not that MAKING it takes that long (although it is FAR more complex than that. The file used for printing is NOT the same as one you would use to make a PDF, speaking as somebody who has family doing the layout job for textbooks).

Yeah, but they were exporting PDFs of the beta constantly so they obviously have the whole process set up. Guess I'm just used to Pathfinder where the PDFs are available same day (or earlier) than the print books.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Tias posted:

Not sure what you mean by 'ejected' (typo?), but the mechanics are:
1. They're going into the unknown, so the navigator will probably not know how long the journey takes.
2. 1 day of travel in "open warp" (unhindered warp passage) will go by as 12 days in the real world.
3. The trip length will depend on the distance gone and the stability of the warp. See page 184 of the Core rules. As you're going on archaic maps and a possibly unstable warp route, you may want to add 25-50% to the trip duration.
4. Other than that, you need to test for finding the astronomican, plotting a course and warp encounters as detailed on pages 184-186.

Since you, the GM, makes the travel navigation rolls in secret you can always fudge 'em and have them appear in the wrong part of space, 100 years in the past, a xenos ambush, or some other Character-Building Experience(tm).

I imagine he means a rogue exoplanet. As for the how do they get there, Zeuscannon, could do any of the above. I'd probably go with Tias' caveat at the bottom. It's the WARP. That's a GM get-out-of-mechanics-free card and anybody who tells you otherwise is a hateful monster who is allergic to fun. Maybe they show up exactly 36 seconds before they left, maybe they end up in an unrelated plot planet. At most complicated, I'd just do d6 weeks or d6 months depending on the route/distance they were travelling.

Personally, I never bothered with warp shenanigans in my DH game except for the one time they brought a grot on their ship. They mistreated him on repeated occasions before killing him him, only to discover that he had "improved" key engine parts by replacing them with a delicious roast grox sandwich.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

MilkmanLuke posted:

maybe they end up in an unrelated plot planet

Choo choo. Don't do this unless your players are weird train fetishists.

Do, however, make sure SOMETHING happens during the trip (eg a minor warp incursion) to get the non-navigator players involved, especially if you're using the more time-consuming navigation rules for the Navis Primer.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ok I have the main rule book and into the storm but the morale and navigation mechanics haven't been touched on much is all. Mostly because we dont actually have a navigator PC so I haven't been reading up on them the way I should have. But I will keep the advice in mind and maybe just let hem find the place. As someone said they have done the effort already in acquiring probes and researching the planets path.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, if you don't have a navigator PC, then gently caress the navigation mechanics. No one's actively interacting with them in any fashion so they're irrelevant.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you don't have a Navigator PC, I don't see a reason to dwell on the trip too much. With a PC you kind of want to give them their chance to do their thing, but without one you can basically just scene-change it. If you don't want to do that, then have something minor happen on the trip (like some sort of warp breech, or maybe they drop out of warp into a hostile engagement) and make the PCs run around troubleshooting while the Navigator serves as an event timer.

i.e. - Oh no, the jump went wrong and you've landed in an unknown alien fleet! The Navigator is recalculating the next jump but needs 10 rounds to do it- keep the ship safe until he can jump again!

or

Oh no, you've hit some warp anomaly and gribblies are bleeding through the Gellar field! Lead some squads to put down the incursions while the ship completes the trip - if you can't hold them back, you'll have to drop out of warp and waste time recalibrating everything.

Etc.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Azhais posted:

Yeah, but they were exporting PDFs of the beta constantly so they obviously have the whole process set up. Guess I'm just used to Pathfinder where the PDFs are available same day (or earlier) than the print books.

The original beta pdf was an absolute mess, with boxout layers all wrong so the boxout text was hidden behind the box itself. There were also numerous incorrect page references and art assets that partially obscured text.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Agree with the above, if there's no Navi, gently caress the mechanics. Read the navigators section anyway, or at least the "navigating the warp" bits (it's like 4 pages), so you have a grip on relative travel time and the like.

To find a rogue planet, well, it's 40K. Perhaps the AdMech has an ancient logic engine tasked with predicting poo poo like that, or perhaps it's as simple as an extended Lore (Astromancy) roll. You could also give it to them via contacts, they must know other captains if not other rogue traders, who can have suddenly seen it hurtling by.

E: sorry, I can see they already know where it is. In that case, just come up with the trip time, and an entertaining warp encounter or two.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, thinking about doing a Dark Heresy 2nd Game with my guys, really standard Inquisition stuff, but I was wondering...

What's a good 'default' make-up for a group? I want to give them that novel/cinema feel, so a bit of combat, a bit of investigation, some exploration and a bit of Space Cthulhu. I know I want one player to be a pilot, as I'm going to give them their own non-Warp capable spacecraft, but are there any other archetypes (and by that I don't mean roles or whatever, I just mean encouragements in characters) they really should have, or are there any that'll end up rampantly overpowered relatively, and wreck the game?

The context is we've played before where the GM generates a bunch of characters (say, 6 for 3 players) and then gives them out randomly in envelopes, which worked really well, and got some players to really do characters outside their comfort zone, so I might do it again and come up with my own little party; Alternatively, if they do generate together, I'd like a few pointers for a good mix, to ensure everyone has their own thing they can be good at, but not end up too niche or pigeon-holed into that one task.

They're going to start off universally liking their Inquisitor and their job; They're saving the universe for him! That way, I can have fun as GM kicking that supposition out from under them when they need to compromise their morals, one step at a time, and find out the Inquitision is in many ways, just as bad as the forces it's fighting.

My own scribbles were: (And I make NO apologies for the tropes I'm invoking)

Disgraced Fighter Pilot turned good - Rogueish, 'Heart of Gold' smuggler. The Mal / Solo trope, although enjoys the fighting too much. (Pistols)
Ex-Arbites Marshall / Minor Psyker - Saved from the Black Ships by Inquisitor after Arbites discovered that his 'knack' was more than it seemed. Terrified of own ability, and what it means. (Longarms)
The unsanctioned Enginseer - The crazy inventor / prodigy. Researcher, and carrier of the heavy guns. (LMG's, also explosives and other oddball things)
This Charming Man - Your social chameleon. Charming, delightful company. Also happens to be your resident Assassin. (Melee)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

So my Only War game is going pretty well. When they solved a minor mission busting up a xenos-gladiator ring for the ordos, their major awarded them a small armband and the title of "Troubleshooters", to which the low int sergeant was off his nut with pride, and the ratling and corrupt medic panicked. I think my players "get" 40k :3:

OTOH, they have some misgivings that I'm not giving them "appropriate job" for a mechanized recon regiment. Anyone have a good idea for something to do that is both exciting and recon-appropriate?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Basically something the vehicle can get them into but cannot get them out of. The chimera is good for this, able to drive over any terrain possible but mortally threatened by anti-tank weapons, especially that weak 15 armor back/top/bottom.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
They're a recon team, send them behind enemy lines and on rescue missions.

Give them a mission to run their column (or just a single one with the party in it) of chimeras right over the enemy lines and thirty clicks farther to target artillery fire.

Have them assault an enemy prison camp to rescue prisoners/ensure that no information is leaked.

Then you have free reign to put them in "nonideal" situations like "well your chimera is blown up, there's an emergency extraction point at location X, get your survivors and reconnaissance to it before midday tomorrow or you will probably be captured or killed"

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
You could throw them on a Salamander Recon vehicle, basically a chimera chassis with a souped-up engine and an open-top crew component, so even on the vehicle the PCs would be in danger.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
So I'm about to run Black Crusade for the first time in a couple of weeks. While I've run many, many sessions of Dark Heresy and Rogue trader, this will be the first of BC. Any advice from others have run the system?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Tell them that they've run out of chimeras, and as such they have all been issued speeder bikes and chainfists.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BC is extremely player driven, similar to Rogue Trader. Ask your players what they're interested in and try to find something they'll work towards while merely jockeying for credit and position instead of killing one another (Unless they really want to play a PVP game, then go for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Gaghskull posted:

So I'm about to run Black Crusade for the first time in a couple of weeks. While I've run many, many sessions of Dark Heresy and Rogue trader, this will be the first of BC. Any advice from others have run the system?

The number one thing you must keep in mind is that every NPC that you present to the players, if they even have an inkling that they do not like the guy and that they can kill them, the players will. So if you have some NPC ideas you want to have stick around, either have them be friendly, or way out of the players league (like daemon princes).