Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
OK folks, got a really bizarre question for ya'll.

I work as a mental health therapist with juvenile delinquents in an inpatient, residential facility. One of my kids is Bruce Banner. He's calm most of the time, mild mannered and pleasant. But occasionally, he flips out and starts throwing furniture, slamming doors, and he can hurt people without meaning to. When he gets like this, his whole physiology changes, his posture straightens out and his arm muscles are flexed... He's a scary kid when he's in that place, but when he's in my office he's usually fine.

I brought up The Hulk analogy and he seemed very interested, he likes cartoons and professional wrestling, so he's up for a bit of fantasy and whatnot. I want to show him some source material on The Hulk, one of the movies would even be good. Some of the questions about what I'm looking for: Is there something that most emphasizes the differences between Bruce Banner and The Hulk? Something that shows how much The Hulk impacts the life of Bruce Banner? Something that shows how frustrated Bruce gets over his alter-ego and how difficult it can be for him to control it? Something that shows how Bruce Banner learns about controlling it?

Any combination of those types of things would be fantastic. And if there's anything else that you guys think may be relevant in a case like this, I'm all ears! I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff out there so it's not like everything has to be in one place. I'm not a rich man (just a social worker), but I would be more than happy to spring for some comics for this kid. He's got pretty much no one in the world to look out for him, as is usually the case in my facility, so I'm always looking for opportunities to get the kids something meaningful.

I know next to nothing about The Hulk, or comics in general for that matter, but I finally found something that feels a lot like a connection with this kid and I really want to capitalize on it. So yeah, anything in movies, cartoons, or comics that even comes close to hinting toward topics I proposed would be super helpful, and if there's somewhere else I should have posted this, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

That seems dangerous as all hell.

^^^^all I can tell you is that Planet Hulk is the best Hulk story I've ever read, but it has very very very little Bruce Banner in it and I'm not sure it's a useful comparison but it is really good ^^^

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chili posted:

I work as a mental health therapist with juvenile delinquents in an inpatient, residential facility. One of my kids is Bruce Banner. He's calm most of the time, mild mannered and pleasant. But occasionally, he flips out and starts throwing furniture, slamming doors, and he can hurt people without meaning to. When he gets like this, his whole physiology changes, his posture straightens out and his arm muscles are flexed... He's a scary kid when he's in that place, but when he's in my office he's usually fine.

I brought up The Hulk analogy and he seemed very interested, he likes cartoons and professional wrestling, so he's up for a bit of fantasy and whatnot. I want to show him some source material on The Hulk, one of the movies would even be good. Some of the questions about what I'm looking for: Is there something that most emphasizes the differences between Bruce Banner and The Hulk? Something that shows how much The Hulk impacts the life of Bruce Banner? Something that shows how frustrated Bruce gets over his alter-ego and how difficult it can be for him to control it? Something that shows how Bruce Banner learns about controlling it?

Any combination of those types of things would be fantastic. And if there's anything else that you guys think may be relevant in a case like this, I'm all ears! I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff out there so it's not like everything has to be in one place. I'm not a rich man (just a social worker), but I would be more than happy to spring for some comics for this kid. He's got pretty much no one in the world to look out for him, as is usually the case in my facility, so I'm always looking for opportunities to get the kids something meaningful.

I know next to nothing about The Hulk, or comics in general for that matter, but I finally found something that feels a lot like a connection with this kid and I really want to capitalize on it. So yeah, anything in movies, cartoons, or comics that even comes close to hinting toward topics I proposed would be super helpful, and if there's somewhere else I should have posted this, sorry!

Not to be glib but that's like every Hulk book ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There is a single-issue story written by Peter David where Banner and the Hulk(s) (there are two Hulks at this point - a grey one and a green one) are psychoanalysed. It explores how the green Hulk (the "HULK SMASH!" one) is like a manifestation of the anger and frustration Banner felt at a child for not being able to protect his mother from his abusive father, while the grey Hulk is sneaky and crafty with a preference for wine, women and song; what Banner wanted to be when he was a teenager, but wilfully repressed. I think it is #377 or so. It builds on earlier stories, which introduced the idea that Bruce Banner has multiple personalities, each of which is represented by a different Hulk, but I don't know what issues feature them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Not to be glib but that's like every Hulk book ever.

Haha, I'm sure. I guess in that case, I'm looking for the best, most notable one. Also, of the movies, is there one that is better to show him?

Metal Loaf posted:

There is a single-issue story written by Peter David where Banner and the Hulk(s) (there are two Hulks at this point - a grey one and a green one) are psychoanalysed. It explores how the green Hulk (the "HULK SMASH!" one) is like a manifestation of the anger and frustration Banner felt at a child for not being able to protect his mother from his abusive father, while the grey Hulk is sneaky and crafty with a preference for wine, women and song; what Banner wanted to be when he was a teenager, but wilfully repressed. I think it is #377 or so. It builds on earlier stories, which introduced the idea that Bruce Banner has multiple personalities, each of which is represented by a different Hulk, but I don't know what issues feature them.

That's pretty cool, I'll poke around.

Edit; Poked around... this one seems great, probably a little too advanced for him to tackle alone but it'll be AWESOME to use in session and it was only 3 dollars on the used market in Amazon! Thanks Loaf, you just helped a kid today!

Any other suggestions are still welcome/helpful, I'm getting more and more excited about this.

Chili fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

if there's somewhere else I should have posted this, sorry!
No, you're good!

I would read this, and see if any of those issues sound up your alley (such as #393, which seems like it could be a good start). 377 that Metal Loaf mentions is written up somewhere in there.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

redbackground posted:

No, you're good!

I would read this, and see if any of those issues sound up your alley (such as #393, which seems like it could be a good start). 377 that Metal Loaf mentions is written up somewhere in there.

Another winner. You guys are awesome!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chili posted:

Any other suggestions are still welcome/helpful, I'm getting more and more excited about this.

Wolverine might be worth looking into, since he has a similar dynamic where he constantly struggles - and wins - against this very violent aspect of his personality in a way that's sort of similar to Bruce Banner and the Hulk. I wouldn't be much use for particular recommendations myself, since I don't have a great deal of familiarity with any specific stories, but if you asked in the recommendations thread (pinned to the top of the page) I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable should be able to offer some thoughts.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

Wolverine might be worth looking into, since he has a similar dynamic where he constantly struggles - and wins - against this very violent aspect of his personality in a way that's sort of similar to Bruce Banner and the Hulk. I wouldn't be much use for particular recommendations myself, since I don't have a great deal of familiarity with any specific stories, but if you asked in the recommendations thread (pinned to the top of the page) I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable should be able to offer some thoughts.

Good thinking. And thanks, I just cross posted in the recommendation thread, probably should have gone their first!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

Daredevil #7 got featured in a psychology blog.

Haven't read the issue but it's really nice to see this kind of stuff handled well enough for non-comic fans to talk about it.

Glad to see Mark Waid finally used postpartum depression in a way that wasn't overly creepy like in Irredeemable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chili posted:

I don't have PMs but if you hit me up at butiplayoneontv@gmail.com I will see what I have as far as Young Readers Hulk stuff to send you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chili posted:

Haha, I'm sure. I guess in that case, I'm looking for the best, most notable one. Also, of the movies, is there one that is better to show him?
Of the two, the Edward Norton movie is better by miles, but you might be better off with Avengers -- Banner's entire plotline is that he's so terrified of the Hulk that he refuses to even say the word "Hulk", and has to learn that it's an aspect of himself and he can be the hero if he channels it properly.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

STRAP YOURSELVES TO A BOMB SO THAT NEW GENESIS MAY LIVE!, IT'S JACK KIRBY'S BIRTHDAY!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

STRAP YOURSELVES TO A BOMB SO THAT NEW GENESIS MAY LIVE!, IT'S JACK KIRBY'S BIRTHDAY!

I had an appointment to get a new Kirby inspired tattoo but my artist overbooked today. :Sad Face:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
LOOK AT ALL THIS AMAZING ART!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/65185095@N00/sets/72157623444242645/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I had an appointment to get a new Kirby inspired tattoo but my artist overbooked today. :Sad Face:
What and where?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry where's the thread for the He Man Kirby Haters' Club?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Kirby Haters Go Here

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Right Here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

What and where?

I don't have a scanner but he free-styled a Kirbyesque turbocharger with Kirby Krackle spewing out of it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I don't have a scanner but he free-styled a Kirbyesque turbocharger with Kirby Krackle spewing out of it.

This makes me think that I could add a Kirby Krackle around mine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

This makes me think that I could add a Kirby Krackle around mine.

You can do that to anything and make it awesome. It's going on my chest right above my heart whenever I find the time now. I really wanted to get it done today. Dude's a huge JK fan so he jumped at the chance to do this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UohmGU-Gng

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She can't pronounce Khal Drogo, what a FGG

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get all my comics digitally or from Amazon so I have no idea how accurate that is but if it's anything like the internet, it's bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I only buy digitally too, and the one store I do go to sometimes always has a woman working.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno getting King Dedede ink on his neck.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

It should be KANGA RAT MURDER SOCIETY in Gothic letters across your chest.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I see you like my totally awesome metal band.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

And Anti-Life across your stomach. (The "i"s have to be omega beams)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure any of those tattoos are the anti-life equation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're certainly the anti sex equation.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Darkseid is looking for asexuality then? Does tumblr exist in the DCU?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

Darkseid is looking for asexuality then? Does tumblr exist in the DCU?

Of course it does.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jack Kirby talking about the war:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866ToIkLksA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Of course it does.

WHEN I MAKE A REBLOG, IT IS WITH THREE MILLION FICTIVE HEADMATES!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Triggers include: Love, Hope, Superman, hero, good, life, free will

Refer to Darkseid as: Lord, Conquerer, Supreme being, King, royal we

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Of course it does.

Where else would Superboy Prime spend his days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh guys I was thinking about Xorn again and I got mad at Grant Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Ugh guys I was thinking about Xorn again and I got mad at Grant Morrison.

Why? That was a great holy poo poo moment and looking back it made sense. The only problem is Marvel's reaction to it.

• Locked thread