Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm extremely distracted by your apparently default VS editor color scheme. Check out http://studiostyl.es/ if you don't know it.

Yea I've been unable to find a theme I like more than the default. Maybe lovely high contrast white just suits me anymore (could never use white mIRC).

I really want to like them though - even the stock blueish would probably be nice on the eyes if I could just get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Adventures in disassembling CHIP-8 games: it's weird bugs all the way down. I think I'm starting to develop a mild phobia of borrow flags.

More info here.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Point data for the Stanford bunny. I've looped back around to c++ and OpenGL. I'm going to try my hand at marching cubes and dual contouring with these. Should be fun.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Yea I've been unable to find a theme I like more than the default. Maybe lovely high contrast white just suits me anymore (could never use white mIRC).

I really want to like them though - even the stock blueish would probably be nice on the eyes if I could just get used to it.

Ooh, thank you for this. Gonna spice up my VS. I used to use light on dark schemes all the time when I was younger, but lately I've been all about varying dark on light schemes, mostly because there doesn't exist an OS that universally looks good with a dark theme :/ (always one damned app that won't fit in)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I got bored last night and wrote some short code to glitch jpgs (code)

sometimes programs get confused about the palette, which is amusing

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

clockwork automaton posted:

I got bored last night and wrote some short code to glitch jpgs (code)

sometimes programs get confused about the palette, which is amusing

Do intentional glitches count for Post your Glitches? If not, you've got an unintentional glitch among your intentional glitch... (anything to keep that thread alive).

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Factor Mystic posted:

Do intentional glitches count for Post your Glitches? If not, you've got an unintentional glitch among your intentional glitch... (anything to keep that thread alive).

That thread seems more alive than this one.

progress for stupid game thing where you solve puzzles to fix robots - not sure the "revive" animation is long enough for anyone to actually be able to see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOh_4r3ccvA

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
Baby's first compiler

I picked lisp-like syntax since I figured it's easier to write parser for it. I haven't implemented branching yet, but you can call functions and pass arguments as well as use the return values. Whole thing runs on a simple stack based vm.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

That's something I've wanted to for a long time, did you read anything to learn how to do it? Writing a vm and a compiler sounds cool as gently caress.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I see you're in Visual Studio. Did you start from scratch or are you using the CLR? Building your own VM is pretty cool. So would be ValtisLisp.NET.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

UncleBlazer posted:

That's something I've wanted to for a long time, did you read anything to learn how to do it? Writing a vm and a compiler sounds cool as gently caress.

I've mostly read wikipedia. Lisp syntax maps into abstract syntax tree almost perfectly, and it's pretty straightforward to generate the bytecode from AST.

KernelSlanders posted:

I see you're in Visual Studio. Did you start from scratch or are you using the CLR? Building your own VM is pretty cool. So would be ValtisLisp.NET.

It's my own vm. It isn't particularly impressive though, at the moment it supports only basic arithmetic operations, push, pop, and printing operations.

Valtis fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Making VMs and toolchains for them is a lot of fun. I worked on this thing for years. The possibilities for new debuggers, programming languages, standard libraries, runtime ports and so on are endless.

If you're working with a stack architecture you should definitely consider adding a second stack- use one to track subroutine return addresses (and local variables if you need 'em) and the other to carry out computations. This makes it possible to avoid a lot of unpleasant stack shuffling and the need for operations like roll or pick. The PostScript VM has several more stacks for managing graphics, fonts, vocabularies and so on.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Writing languages in general is fun. It's even easier if you can stand to lean on an existing platform like the .NET CLR or JVM because they're so well-featured. We wrote a little language on the JVM in grad school and had a good time with it.

Abstract syntax tress are an essential data structure to understand. That structure also lends itself well to the visitor pattern when you get to the point of converting that structure into machine code.

glompix fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 29, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Hmm. Javascript is getting pretty fast these days.

How 'bout that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Internet Janitor posted:

How 'bout that.

Yeah, google chrome really changed the landscape on its introduction. Firefox was faster, but chrome really forced them to up their game.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

How 'bout that.

Try doing 3d stuff. It's pretty fun to use JS and be using VBOs and shaders and whatnot.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Internet Janitor posted:

How 'bout that.

Seriously, I'm working on an RTS in javascript right now. It requires a pretty decent computer but the fact that it's possible at all is amazing.
(actually if anyone wants to comment on how well that game runs on their machine I'd be grateful. Still very much a WIP)

kayakyakr posted:

Yeah, google chrome really changed the landscape on its introduction. Firefox was faster, but chrome really forced them to up their game.

They did but interestingly I've run into a few situations where Chrome really chugs. The worst one involves blitting between a canvas thats smaller than 256x256 and one that's larger. Doing that can be a few orders of magnitude slower than blitting between canvases that are both larger or both smaller than that size.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Seriously, I'm working on an RTS in javascript right now. It requires a pretty decent computer but the fact that it's possible at all is amazing.
(actually if anyone wants to comment on how well that game runs on their machine I'd be grateful. Still very much a WIP)

They did but interestingly I've run into a few situations where Chrome really chugs. The worst one involves blitting between a canvas thats smaller than 256x256 and one that's larger. Doing that can be a few orders of magnitude slower than blitting between canvases that are both larger or both smaller than that size.

Cool game! Pretty challenging too, luckily the AI prioritizes turrets over the workers that repair them :) The loading takes a minute or two, and the game runs at like 15-25fps for me, on a pretty mediocre 4GB intel quad core @ 2.83GHz.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Getting about the same on a laptop with Core i5-2540M @ 2.60GHz and 8GB of RAM. Pretty cool. Just took me a second to figure out what was going on because I couldn't build a refinery on the point that was near where I spawned for some reason.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

HappyHippo posted:

It holds steady at 30 FPS on an i5-4670.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HappyHippo posted:

That's really neat.

i7 640-M @ 8GB RAM steady 30fps using Chrome.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
30fps on a i7-3770 on Linux. Dipped to 17 after about 15 minutes when I started to lose (I'm really bad at RTS)

e: also I was losing turrets that were showing as undamaged. not sure how that worked.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks everyone. 30 fps is what it aims for. Is it still playable at less than that?

kayakyakr posted:

e: also I was losing turrets that were showing as undamaged. not sure how that worked.

That's.. odd. So like full green health bar and then boom?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

HappyHippo posted:

Thanks everyone. 30 fps is what it aims for. Is it still playable at less than that?

That's.. odd. So like full green health bar and then boom?

yes, still playable. didn't notice it.

I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to my damage bar.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

Finally got my stupid Kinect NARF edge detector working. Took me forever due to stupid poo poo like not realizing Eigen doesn't initialize vectors by default. :argh:

Now to get stuck on something else!

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
I made a crappy clone of a crappy game.

Play here!

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Marsol0 posted:

I made a crappy clone of a crappy game.

Play here!

This is infuriating, which I think is the point.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Newf posted:

This is infuriating, which I think is the point.

I will say that it is so that I don't seem like a bad gamedev who missed his mark.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

This rocks. I was getting nearly 30 FPS on a 2011 Macbook air (i5-2557 or something).

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

I implemented branching for my toy language so now I can create simple algorithms like calculating factorial.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

HappyHippo posted:

1-2 minutes loading. Decent performance on new new Mac Book Air (1.4 GHz Intel Core i5), down to 22fps when I was being totally slaughtered. Really fun game but I can't quite work out how to beat it yet!

e: a way of restarting without sitting through the loading screen again would be great :)

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 31, 2014

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

HappyHippo posted:

I was able to beat it on my desktop from 4-5 years ago at a pretty-steady 27fps. I wasn't expecting the third team, but managed to recover. Very cool!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Jonnty posted:

1-2 minutes loading. Decent performance on new new Mac Book Air (1.4 GHz Intel Core i5), down to 22fps when I was being totally slaughtered. Really fun game but I can't quite work out how to beat it yet!

e: a way of restarting without sitting through the loading screen again would be great :)

Yeah I need a whole title screen and such. Although most of the load time is generating the map, so you'd have to sit through that every time anyway.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah I need a whole title screen and such. Although most of the load time is generating the map, so you'd have to sit through that every time anyway.

Yeah I figured that. Oh well. Good stuff anyway, helpfully reminding me how poo poo at RTS games I am though haha

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

It has been a little while since I posted any BeagleBone Black Android stuff, so here you go:

I've been working on getting a streamlined build system running for Android on the BBB. So far, I've replaced the Rowboat build system's Linux kernel to the latest patched 3.8.13 version (with capemgr support), replaced the bootloader and compiler toolchain with newer versions, and added in a package that I made for I2C-Tools (shown running in the screenshot). Aside from that, there have been a lot of cleanups to various Android config files so that you can avoid all of the screwing around that you had to do in my old Android build process.

Capemgr support recently was accepted into the mainline 3.17 kernel, which will hopefully (finally) give us a kernel with stable USB, hardware-accelerated OpenGL ES, and the capemgr. I can only hope.

Oh, and BeagleSNES seems to be getting more popular these days:

AdaFruit Blog
BricoGeek Blog
Dr. Maker Blog

I get more and more mails like "why won't BeagleSNES work with my gamepad that comes from South Korea and has no Linux drivers???", which I suppose is par for the course. I also get a ton of mail about Android and BeagleSNES in Portuguese, Spanish, French, and all sorts of crazy Eastern European languages. I actually manage to help a lot of these people out, thanks to Google Translate. It probably doesn't help that some of my magazine articles are being localized and published in a variety of languages.

For anyone that happens to be a student attending Embry-Riddle's Daytona Beach campus, I'll be giving a talk at your school on next Thursday (lucky September 11th). I'll be talking about the use and visualization of metadata:

Exciting! And I hear they have free cookies and stuff at these things, too, so you should definitely show up, get some food, and listen to me ramble on about Super Mario Brothers for an hour or so.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 4, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I'm pretty sure I made an octree and then inserted the points of a sphere into it.
Pretty sure.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tried to make the most obnoxiously "art" game ever so it's kinda like flappy bird, but with a crow in the snow where you have to dodge lines of a Slyvia Plath poem while Nine Inch Nails plays (the mysterious death at 5 points is because this was recorded prior to me stripping out line breaks in the poem). It's impossible to tell from the recording, but there's a moving noise background also.

Love2d makes writing games like this stupidly easy and it's sorta amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJgclx0cco

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

clockwork automaton: very artistic. It looks like you're using the bounding box of the entire crow animation for collision- you might be better off creating a tighter collision box for each frame.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

clockwork automaton: very artistic. It looks like you're using the bounding box of the entire crow animation for collision- you might be better off creating a tighter collision box for each frame.

Yeah, I made my SO play it and he was so infuriated by the collisions - definitely on one of the things I want to improve about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Also worth mentioning, if you're interested in writing games (~art~ or otherwise) you should check out the #SAGameDev irc channel on irc.synirc.net. There are a handful of Love2D users floating around and it's easy to find people willing to try out games or give feedback.