Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm sure Dio would have had to have seen his Stand at least once.
He has staff you know. Being exposed to The Sun doesn't kill them instantly, it didn't even severely hurt the team once they got out from under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To bring up a different topic, did Araki just run out of colors at some point? Because every Stand after Yellow Temperance has just been named directly after the Tarot Card with the exception of Death 13.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
He was really still feeling out stand names in part 3. They sort of normalize later on but there's going to be some weird trends until then.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's kinda hard to guess how Dio would do against his own minions before knowing what his stand is/does. If you mean with just his Vampire powers I think a lot of the stands in the series would wreck him since he wouldn't be able to stop them without a stand of his own. His only way of winning would be to take out the stand user before he's killed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To bring up a different topic, did Araki just run out of colors at some point? Because every Stand after Yellow Temperance has just been named directly after the Tarot Card with the exception of Death 13.

Red Sun could have retroactively been a cool name. :saddowns:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The sun isn't invisible otherwise it'd be incapable of emitting light.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RatHat posted:

It's kinda hard to guess how Dio would do against his own minions before knowing what his stand is/does. If you mean with just his Vampire powers I think a lot of the stands in the series would wreck him since he wouldn't be able to stop them without a stand of his own. His only way of winning would be to take out the stand user before he's killed.

Vampires tend to be really good at killing people. And Dio is really drat intelligent and charismatic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soylentbits posted:

Vampires tend to be really good at killing people. And Dio is really drat intelligent and charismatic.
He's also apparently rich, since he gave Steely Dan a hundred million up front. Even if that was supposed to be yen that's a pretty non-trivial sum.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Well when you live close to 200 years its probably pretty easy to make some money on compound interest alone.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You guys forget that Dio also has the best Stand evarr.

Although Araki could not make up its actual powers at this point he is still getting used to Jonathan's body so he may not be able to use it or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kuvo posted:

Well when you live close to 200 years its probably pretty easy to make some money on compound interest alone.

No, he's a little over 100. And most of that time was spend at the bottom of the ocean.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

He's also apparently rich, since he gave Steely Dan a hundred million up front. Even if that was supposed to be yen that's a pretty non-trivial sum.
He can mind control people. I don't think acquiring money is an issue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Forgall posted:

He can mind control people. I don't think acquiring money is an issue.
Maybe he's challenging the Speedwagon Foundation's oil profits.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RatHat posted:

To be fair, pretty much nothing actually stops vampires except the Ripple stuff and Sun-related stuff. Straits got blown to pieces and still pieced himself together pretty easily!
That's already a massive advantage against pretty much every single stand power except The Sun's.

Plus he can freeze poo poo on touch and also shoot lasers (liquid lasers whatever) out of his eyes.

That's pretty useful too!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fereydun posted:

To be fair, pretty much nothing actually stops vampires except the Ripple stuff and Sun-related stuff. Straits got blown to pieces and still pieced himself together pretty easily!
That's already a massive advantage against pretty much every single stand power except The Sun's.

Plus he can freeze poo poo on touch and also shoot lasers (liquid lasers whatever) out of his eyes.

That's pretty useful too!

Also Dio is using a ripple master's body. He might be able to handle some degree of ripple or sun due to his unique physiology.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Soylentbits posted:

Also Dio is using a ripple master's body. He might be able to handle some degree of ripple or sun due to his unique physiology.

Didn't help Straits.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Didn't help Straits.

But Straights was turned full-on-vampire.

Dio on the other hand is literally a vampire's head on a human's body.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soylentbits posted:

The flesh buds don't have any ripple resistance, not much reason to think DIO does. Joseph is the only ripple user he has to worry about anyway.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Star Platinum can punch with the power of ten thousand suns or something, so the Ripple is irrelevant.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched a smattering of episodes from
Season 1 today and another element that is majorly missing from Stardust Crusaders is that no one ever says "JoJo". Every time someone said in Parts 1 and 2 they were hamming it to an insane degree, especially when Dio would draw it out for no good reason

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They say it a few times in Stardust, but they do kinda ease up on calling the protagonist Jojo after part 3. Mostly because in Stardust, there's two Jojos, so it would be confusing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I watched a smattering of episodes from
Season 1 today and another element that is majorly missing from Stardust Crusaders is that no one ever says "JoJo". Every time someone said in Parts 1 and 2 they were hamming it to an insane degree, especially when Dio would draw it out for no good reason
They call Jotaro Jojo all the freaking time, it's just you're getting a lot of focus on Polnareff and Kakyoin these last few weeks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's alternation between calling him Jotaro and Jojo, though Joseph (of course) refers to him purely as Jotaro.

It was first apparent to me that was the case during Episode 9, where Rubber Soul calls him Jotaro and Jojo while disguised as Kakyoin.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So I've known OF JoJo for a really long time. I've finally watched the first two (arcs? acts?) and am caught up with this one.
I am now a JoJo convert. I am interested in reading the 4th arc but I'm not sure if it'll contain spoilers for Stardust Crusaders. I am asking here and not the general thread because I don't want to accidentally be spoiled.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BambooEarpick posted:

So I've known OF JoJo for a really long time. I've finally watched the first two (arcs? acts?) and am caught up with this one.
I am now a JoJo convert. I am interested in reading the 4th arc but I'm not sure if it'll contain spoilers for Stardust Crusaders. I am asking here and not the general thread because I don't want to accidentally be spoiled.

There are some pretty big spoilers for part 3 in part 4. So if you really want to read it, you may want to read through the rest of Stardust Crusaders first.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Part 4 has some minor spoilers related to the final battle of the current arc.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Like Dio kills everybody and becomes the protagonist of part 4.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Part 4 is actually Mannish Boy learning the meaning of love. Sorry for spoilers.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I better find Part 3 in manga form. Does anyone know if it's online? And no, not asking for :filez:. Like, a legitimate place I can subscribe to (similar to Crunchyroll) for manga. Or just outright buy digitally. Translated or untranslated is fine. My Japanese is really quite poo poo but at least I'd be getting in lots of practice if it was the original Japanese.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CrunchyRoll has it digitally, AFAIK.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

It will contain some pretty major spoilers, yes. Also part 4 is goddamned amazing, and really where Stands start going even more bananas than they are now, so if you like where JoJo is now, well, buckle up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BambooEarpick posted:

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I better find Part 3 in manga form. Does anyone know if it's online? And no, not asking for :filez:. Like, a legitimate place I can subscribe to (similar to Crunchyroll) for manga. Or just outright buy digitally. Translated or untranslated is fine. My Japanese is really quite poo poo but at least I'd be getting in lots of practice if it was the original Japanese.

Yes, you can buy it digitally from Viz's website, Amazon, or Comixology. All 16 Volumes are out, so it shouldn't be hard to find them.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 29, 2014

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Dear thread. I love you all.

Edit:
The next thing you're going to say is "I'm ridiculously ready for this weeks episode. It's going to be so drat good."

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 29, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm ridiculously ready for this weeks episode. It's going to be so drat good.

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 29, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How...???

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BambooEarpick posted:

I've been buying it off the iBooks store whenever I can spare a little cash. There are plenty of legal outfits that will feed your newfound Jojo itch.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
My local comic shop has started selling the magna so maybe you'll find it there.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hoobajoo posted:

It will contain some pretty major spoilers, yes. Also part 4 is goddamned amazing, and really where Stands start going even more bananas than they are now, so if you like where JoJo is now, well, buckle up.

Seriously, if you're one of the people whose missing the sheer amount of shenanigans from Battle Tendency, read part 4 once SC is done because the fights are a return to form in a great way.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I was looking forward to this.

YES,  I  AM!

• Locked thread