Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ze_3yTxd8c

sexism sexyism

Baller Time fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Alexzandvar posted:

Pretty much the only video games I can think of pushing a social agenda are retarded poo poo like Bioware games or pretentious indie poo poo like Gone Home.

I totally agree, I hate it when they diversify the cast. I want my blonde white males saving the galaxy from blonde white villains goddammit.

Also lol being threatened by a $10 game on Steam.

e:

You loving keep that work of art out of this topic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No that is using homoeroticism as farse get your terminology right god

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you either live to become a social jstice minstrel, or you already were one. Something like this

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Loot posted:

I totally agree, I hate it when they diversify the cast. I want my blonde white males saving the galaxy from blonde white villains goddammit.

Also lol being threatened by a $10 game on Steam.

e:

You loving keep that work of art out of this topic.

My entire point is there was no SJW take over of video games, but If you think the gay pilot in ME3 wasn't forced when the very first time you meet him he is crying over his dead husband and the only defining character trait he has is "I'm gay" your not paying any attention.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

Alexzandvar posted:

A dead body is one of the extremely few things that cannot be sexualized, because by pure human nature we dislike looking at dead people or even considering having sex with them. Sure you could say a advertisement that utilizes a female corpse in a compromising position is inappropriate, but in a video game were it's simply part of the atmosphere it's entirely appropriate. If you have zombies on a beach, some of the woman zombies are going to be in Bikini's, this is not some agenda to sexualize the dead woman, but to keep the tone consistent. It would be stupid to make every female corpse on a beach wear normal clothes or a 1 piece. It would also be equally stupid to have a dead prostitute in a whorehouse be dressed like she is going to a business meeting.

So why are the dead dudes in the brothel fully clothed? Doesn't that just kill your immersion?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

you, a truly stupid fucker: hmm yes well no one thinks corpses are sexy

other person, who is reasonable and maybe even sexy a little?: the ad campaign was this 4 dudes and this 4 not dudes

you, really just bad in general: yes well have you consider they need to cater to their major market, dudes who apparently now think sexy dead women are sexy?

whoops i just hotlinked the giant bomb, i guess i am the real dumb baby today.

Musical skill is makes a man really attractive for a lot of women, just saying. It's tangential, but there's a reason why they show an executed classical musician, not an executed garbage man.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Alexzandvar posted:

My entire point is there was no SJW take over of video games, but If you think the gay pilot in ME3 wasn't forced when the very first time you meet him he is crying over his dead husband and the only defining character trait he has is "I'm gay" your not paying any attention.

lol I cucked his dead husband when I played because I'm pretty sure shepard starts to finger him in the engine room right next to the photo of his dead gay husband.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mulefisk posted:

Musical skill is makes a man really attractive for a lot of women, just saying. It's tangential, but there's a reason why they show an executed classical musician, not an executed garbage man.

Nobody would hire an assassin to kill a garbage man?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cp91886 posted:

So why are the dead dudes in the brothel fully clothed? Doesn't that just kill your immersion?

Well considering she gave no examples of the men being naked, as well as the fact both examples she gave were of whorehouses from a mafia game and a game set in an art deco themed city it's not a huge leap for the men to be in suits.

I'm not saying there is no sexism in video games, all I am saying is Anita is going about the wrong way of convincing people whats wrong. And again she could try to suggest some way to fix things rather than acting so negative all the time.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
that dude is clearly loving his cello

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

cp91886 posted:

I haven't played the game, are the dudes guards, or johns? If they are johns, are they in private rooms, where you might expect them to be naked, or in the public areas of the brothel?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

A dead body is one of the extremely few things that cannot be sexualized, because by pure human nature we dislike looking at dead people or even considering having sex with them. Sure you could say a advertisement that utilizes a female corpse in a compromising position is inappropriate, but in a video game were it's simply part of the atmosphere it's entirely inappropriate. If you have zombies on a beach, some of the woman zombies are going to be in Bikini's, this is not some agenda to sexualize the dead woman, but to keep the tone consistent. It would be stupid to make every female corpse on a beach wear normal clothes or a 1 piece. It would also be equally stupid to have a dead prostitute in a whorehouse be dressed like she is going to a business meeting.

This is simply not true, it is a good gut instinct to be repulsed by sexualized bodies, but the depiction of bodies are often undistinguishable from non-moving characters.
The choice of setting is not irrelevant to the discussion here. The choice of setting and tone is explicitly stated as a part of the trope. So the criticism is of the necessity of violence and level of violence to set tone. Essentially the question of good storytelling.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
what the hell is a trope

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress the ROW posted:

what the hell is a trope

something you need archives access for

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I think it's a group of french mimes or something

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

what the hell is a trope

a trope is a repeated thing in a medium

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mulefisk posted:

valets are kinda like garbage mans. they're real working class folks, & i respect them a lot for their hard work for poo poo pay.

what the hell is a trope

when a thing repeatedly happens a whole bunch across all media, like person who is wacky and funny is paired with the person who is all "oh no this is too crazy for me" and gives that stupid fucker the stink eye.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
thanks I figured it was rope related, because rope is right in the word

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
http://www.le-dictionnaire.com/definition.php?mot=trope

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My two trigger words are problematic and trigger.
If anyone posts either of those words I will close this thread and literally shake with angst and anger. You can't stop me!

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Falsum posted:

I'll go with the simpler answer that Anita believes monarchy is wrong and the princess in her game idea is her power fantasy so of course she would abolish it.

Indeed, but I find it distressing that in her power fantasy power is gained through physical violence and deceit. While I do understand Anita's objective of inverting the "princess in distress" trope, I don't think she would want to suggest that the way towards women's empowerment is through violence and subterfuge. I know that fighting and stealth mechanics are a large part of video game language, and making a game without them would be trickier, but you don't just turn your standard male protagonist into a female, have her do the same poo poo they guy was doing anyway, and claim that you are inverting a trope and empowering women. What you're doing is just proving you're a hack who reaches for the most obvious idea out there.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Alexzandvar posted:

A dead body is one of the extremely few things that cannot be sexualized, because by pure human nature we dislike looking at dead people or even considering having sex with them.

Dude face it we have a necrophiliac culture. It's out of control!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azraelle posted:

This is simply not true, it is a good gut instinct to be repulsed by sexualized bodies, but the depiction of bodies are often undistinguishable from non-moving characters.
The choice of setting is not irrelevant to the discussion here. The choice of setting and tone is explicitly stated as a part of the trope. So the criticism is of the necessity of violence and level of violence to set tone. Essentially the question of good storytelling.

Most good story telling upsets people, life isn't pretty, nice, happy and unoffensive. A game with whorehouses should absolutely have woman in said whorehouses look like whores, because it would be dumb not to.

what the hell is a trope

A crutch for people who feel the need to categorize every theme in story telling, as if compartmentalizing a flowing narrative makes any sense.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

Falsum posted:

I haven't played the game, are the dudes guards, or johns? If they are johns, are they in private rooms, where you might expect them to be naked, or in the public areas of the brothel?

I don't know, I haven't played it either, I just think with all these dead prostitutes laying around it's weird there isn't at least one dick flappin' about

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If a game has topless dudes there should be topless women too. :colbert: Why should only guys be allowed to go without tops?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Alexzandvar I challenge you to a fist fight irl pick the time and place

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
as is the fate of all gbs threads, this has instead of being a funny mock of zoe quinn, become a actual loving serious discussion on minority perspectives thanks to faggots like kiwi bigtree

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In the Middle East we have loads of people (like honestly probably a majority) who believe 9/11 wasn't done by Muslims and is a Jewish conspiracy to make us look bad. Something about this whole situation reminds me of people who think Jews did 9/11

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alexzandvar I challenge you to a fist fight irl pick the time and place

A gentleman's duel, anime katana's at dawn.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Brannock posted:

as is the fate of all gbs threads, this has instead of being a funny mock of zoe quinn, become a actual loving serious discussion on minority perspectives thanks to faggots like kiwi bigtree

We need to introduce a new "narative element" (just made this up, copyright, trademark, patron link:) such as maybe a rainbow haired indie game dev sets themselves on fire to protest dark souls

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Brannock posted:

glad to help

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I remember the ad campaign for Hitman Blood Money featuring very dead women in a very sexualized way. It made me really uncomfortable.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Don't worry Zoe is bound to find a way to breathe more life into this.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

We need to introduce a new "narative element" (just made this up, copyright, trademark, patron link:) such as maybe a rainbow haired indie game dev sets themselves on fire to protest dark souls

just got word that someone is tweeting this is 100% happening at PAX

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Falsum posted:

Actually that's pretty accurate. Misrepresenting examples on top of manipulative and dishonest tactics.

She's a lot more like Rush Limbaugh TBH

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I remember the ad campaign for Hitman Blood Money featuring very dead women in a very sexualized way. It made me really uncomfortable.

That's the entire point, it's to get you to pay attention to it. Marketers really don't care if you are aroused or are freaked out. All publicity is good publicity.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I wanna see all the Zoe + 5 guys households people will make when The Sims 4 comes out in a few weeks

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Alexzandvar posted:

That's the entire point, it's to get you to pay attention to it. Marketers really don't care if you are aroused or are freaked out. All publicity is good publicity.

True, but it made me uncomfortable to the point where I didn't buy it until years after it was relevent and for $5. I gather that's not what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I was thinking, why don't sexist MRA types just be gay? Like, if you hate women so much then why not just have sex with men instead of having to put up with women who you hate?

• Locked thread