Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Who's going to Nova? WOM and I are on our way right now.

I am. I will be around right before the narrative event starts at 830. Look for a crapton of steel legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Really wanted to but I got tagged with a wedding this weekend. Next year for sure.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 29, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Esser-Z posted:

EDIT: Oh, where are the rules for an Aegis line? Not sure if I'll use it or not--setting up defenses seems a bit counter to my commando flaver--but I need to take a look at the mechanics (and point cost!) before I decide for sure!

The Aegis Line can be found in the Stronghold Assault supplement (although it's identical to the version printed in the 6E rulebook, if you still have one of those laying around.) I agree it isn't a great fit for your fluff, but mechanically it worked quite well and Aegis Lines are described as "rapid-deployment" fortifications that are sometimes even airdropped into areas to establish defenses where none exist, so I think it's probably defendable. If you wanted to get really fancy you could convert them to look like deployable forcefield generators or something, but that isn't strictly needed.

Fix posted:

Ask AbusePuppy about his GI Joe playset.

G.I. JOE PLAYSET!!

Sadly I don't have any great pics of it right now, since SA doesn't allow linking to Imageshack I guess, but you can see the earlier stages of things here- it was a really fun project. I wanted to make it as much like the old 80s action figure mega-sets as I could, so it got the swing-open doors and the spring-loaded missile launcher (for the Krakstorm.) I had looked at adding a spinning battle damage panel, but could't figure out a good place to put it nor a reasonably-simple way to make it work, so that had to get scrapped.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm trying out my Dark Vengeance stuff in a terrain-heavy 500 pt game this weekend. Not sure what I'm playing against yet--IG, Tau, or Space Marines--but vehicles are very unlikely and there'll be a ton of heavy cover. I'm aware that this list is godawful (my model selection is basically DV stuff minus Helbrute plus a Terminator Lord) but I'd appreciate a little feedback all the same:

*deletia*

I would drop Mark of Nurgle from guys- while it's not a terrible upgrade, you're mostly better off without it. This is especially true for the Sorcerer, where it essentially denies you two good powers- without the Mark, you can roll three times on Telepathy (or Maelific, if you're feeling kooky) and get three powers plus Psychic Shriek, which is awesome; with the Mark, you get the Nurgle Primaris, have to roll once on the Nurgle table (which isn't awful but isn't great) and then can get two more rolls of your choice. 3+1 Telepathy is way, way better than 2+2 or whatever else you could go for.

In a 500pt game they probably will relax the rules for detachments somewhat, so you may not need to field two troop units- combining the Cultists into a single mob will actually make the army a lot better (since the Sorcerer can join them and cast psychic buffs as well as letting them benefit from his Leadership.) If possible, I would look to do some basic conversions and give them all Autopistol + Close Combat Weapon (rather than Autoguns, which aren't really worth it.) It's not a huge priority, but it's pretty easy to do and it's a good way to start learning that sort of thing.

Aside from that your big problem is the Chosen- they are a lot of points and... not getting you a lot. Contrary to what GW seems to think, Chosen are best used for shooting, not close combat; sadly, however, the Dark Vengeance ones are pretty hard to modify for that sort of thing, especially if you don't have many other parts. For starters I would look to run the Helbrute rather than the Chosen and if you can find some other models to make a unit of Chaos Marines or something that would likely serve you a lot better. Five guys with a bunch of fancy weapons looks cool, but they are probably gonna get shot to pieces before getting anywhere near something they can assault, doubly so because you don't have a transport for them.

A lot of opponents will be fine with you doing some proxying (i.e. substituting one model for another you don't have) early on; in that case, running the Chosen squad with 4x Plasmagun (or Meltagun) + 1x Autocannon is actually reasonably solid and wouldn't be hard to do at all. In fact, by trimming the squad down to that loadout, dropping Mark of Nurgle on all the possible guys, and running all of your Cultists with Pistol/CCW, you could take the Helbrute in your list as well- that would be spot-on 500pts.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Boon posted:

Really wanted to but I got tagged with a wedding this weekend. Next year for sure.

Oh no! I was really hoping to see those beautiful eldar in person.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Was scrolling and thinking how much I enjoyed your culty kitbashes, and then saw this. :3:

My image hosting site has been mostly dead for the past week and a half, so I really hope it comes back soon and I didn't lose all my photos. I may have to switch to a new host for the future. Going to have a few battles with my brother this coming week on new terrain, and I'd like to share pictures!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Had a great game today. My opponent runs Space Wolves, and my Chaos Space Marines are basically Space Wolf renegades and traitors - call them the BROTHERHOOD OF SLAUGHTER. We started each of armies independently ages ago, and were super happy to find out we shared a basing scheme and were basically ready-made rivals when we first played about a year back. Anyways, we threw down at the local store and had the owner snap some photos. You can see that I need to touch up a lot of my models, some of my dopey rear end Chaos Spawn, and my poor busted rear end Defiler, along with my opponent's much more nicely painted army. His Krom (which is very lovely, got to say) was a Rune Priest for this battle - he ran four of those fuckers - and is opposite my Chaos Lord on Horsebike.

These were all taken, in any case, at the start of Turn 1, after I had taken my turn and after he dropped in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Was scrolling and thinking how much I enjoyed your culty kitbashes, and then saw this. :3:

My image hosting site has been mostly dead for the past week and a half, so I really hope it comes back soon and I didn't lose all my photos. I may have to switch to a new host for the future. Going to have a few battles with my brother this coming week on new terrain, and I'd like to share pictures!
Thought you'd appreciate them! I thought "what would be a good color for a Catachan headband" and your Jurassic Park boys came to mind :respek:

Also I'm jealous of you dudes at NOVA. Because a couple of our regular guys were at NOVA the game club was basically empty so instead of a game my opponent and I just went out for burgers and milkshakes. We're thinking of going up as a group next year, which would be pretty awesome. I'd be into some friendly tournaments or pickup gaming with you guys.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

SRM posted:

Thought you'd appreciate them! I thought "what would be a good color for a Catachan headband" and your Jurassic Park boys came to mind :respek:

Also I'm jealous of you dudes at NOVA. Because a couple of our regular guys were at NOVA the game club was basically empty so instead of a game my opponent and I just went out for burgers and milkshakes. We're thinking of going up as a group next year, which would be pretty awesome. I'd be into some friendly tournaments or pickup gaming with you guys.

MasterSlowPoke and I were just talking about how we wished you and Boon had made it this year.

Anyways, NOVA Narrative event day 1 trip report:
Played against a dude named Denis, who drove all the way from Quebec City to come to NOVA, which is crazy. I had my Steel Legion: lotta guardsman, few tanks, couple of flyers. He ran about a million ork bikers and nine kannons. It was apparent on turn 1 that I wasn't gonna win it, but I had a ton of fun anyways. Highlights include:
- A sanctioned psyker being executed by a commissar on turn 1.
- A guardsmen blob causing a 3-man nob biker squad to run off the board.
- The same blob beating a large biker squad in HtH, after many turns.
- Vendettas doing jack poo poo.
- Master of ordnance proving he's worth 20 points when you get the ignores cover order off on him 3 turns in a row.

The game ended after 5, which is good because all I had left were two Vendettas and a lone Commissar.

Had a great time, can't wait for tomorrow.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

MasterSlowPoke and I were just talking about how we wished you and Boon had made it this year.

Played against a dude named Denis, who drove all the way from Quebec City to come to NOVA, which is crazy. I had my Steel Legion: lotta guardsman, few tanks, couple of flyers. He ran about a million ork bikers and nine kannons. It was apparent on turn 1 that I wasn't gonna win it, but I had a ton of fun anyways. Highlights include:
- Master of ordnance proving he's worth 20 points when you get the ignores cover order off on him 3 turns in a row.

The game ended after 5, which is good because all I had left were two Vendettas and a lone Commissar.

I would've loved to make it, but I was too indecisive about it and I already took a week off work earlier this month to see some of my friends out west so it wasn't really in the cards.

That sounds like an awesome game! That blob deserves some kind of honorific.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread!

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Backstory

quote:

It was in the dark days of the Horus Heresy that the Emperor’s only daughter enacted her radical plan to
preserve Mankind. Fearing that civil war and foul Chaos might tear humanity apart, Primarch Lilina took advantage of the strife to erase herself and her followers from the record books, before departing for deep space with a massive fleet of soldier and colonists.

So thus was the Second Imperium born. In her desire to preserve Man, the Empress devoted great resources to recovering the lost knowledge of technology. This doctrine proved an incredible success; Second Imperium technology has greatly improved over the millennia. But that was not all. Through sheer force of will, Empress Lilina convinced her people that not all xenos were automatic enemies. Heresy, perhaps, but the close alliance she forged with the Sa’iin’to Tau has proven most fruitful.

For millennia the Second Imperium, with the cooperation of their Tau allies, concealed their existence from the rest of the galaxy, relying on extensive spy networks to monitor the endless wars. But as the forty-second millennium dawns, the Emperor’s daughter has finished her preparations for her Glorious Revolution.

At the vanguard of destiny strides Captain Sophia Taurus. A great hero, she leads an expedition of Amazon Saints space marines and Sa’iin’to Fire Caste Warriors out of the shadows and into the heart of a galaxy at war.

Like all her sisters, Sophia wields weapons and armor based on a fusion of Second Imperium and Tau technology. Her Terminator armor functions in many ways more like a Tau battlesuit than a traditional Tactical Dreadnought, complete with mobility-enhancing thrusters, and her repeating cannon has replaced chemical propellants with high-power electromagnetic rails.

The woman herself is one of the most honored soldiers of the Second Imperium. By her hand horde upon horde of marauding orks—for even in the depths of hidden space those foul savages prowl---have fallen. Her tactical acumen and mental adaptability are second to none, and her personal martial prowess is the stuff of legends.

Aided by a command team handpicked from both her sisters and the Sa’iin’to cadres, and backed by the faith and technology of two empires, Captain Taurus is poised to shatter the balance of power.

And she is just the first of many...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Huh.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Sex Cannon posted:

:buddy:

Sounds like a blast man, hope you have a great weekend!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

In pictures, I really prefer the plastic ones to the FW ones. Haven't seen any in person, though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

In pictures, I really prefer the plastic ones to the FW ones. Haven't seen any in person, though.

I concur. The FW one is just so tall and thin. Doesn't have nearly the sense of power of the plastic one.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

It kind of looks like it can't be bothered.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait has NOVA already started , I like reading the updates but Torrentoffire claims to have a Twitch or whatever it's called can't find it though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Esser-Z posted:

I concur. The FW one is just so tall and thin. Doesn't have nearly the sense of power of the plastic one.

I like the FW lancer a lot- it looks much more mobile and articulate. Gonna pick one up one of these days.

I really don't like the lance though. That'll be another massive conversion project.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

I saw it in person the other day at warhammer world and it looked so boss, so much detail. The plastic one looks like a toy by comparison.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Esser-Z posted:

Well the lancer is supposed to be faster but less durable isnt it? Normally you'd communicate that through design by making it skinnier with longer legs.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I just found out that one of my favorite characters isn't in the Guard book anymore.

GW hates... Captain Alram Clock.

Owns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

... Looks great, but it kinda feels like the sword's too short. It should at least reach the ground on a big thing like that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cream_Filling posted:

Well the lancer is supposed to be faster but less durable isnt it? Normally you'd communicate that through design by making it skinnier with longer legs.

The issue is that the picture still doesn't convey 'faster' at all--it's a supremely static pose.

Maybe the kit allows you to pose it better but if so you'd think they'd do so for the publicity still.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

The issue is that the picture still doesn't convey 'faster' at all--it's a supremely static pose.

Maybe the kit allows you to pose it better but if so you'd think they'd do so for the publicity still.

It's completely poseable.

This one was assembled and painted by Paul Rudge of Forge World - he is not a professional painter or modeler by trade but just loves doing them. In this case I agree the pose he gave it was a bit static, but you can easily see the potential.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FW hitting it out of the park again, their knight just blows that dumpy little GW thing away

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ghost Hand posted:

It's completely poseable.

This one was assembled and painted by Paul Rudge of Forge World - he is not a professional painter or modeler by trade but just loves doing them. In this case I agree the pose he gave it was a bit static, but you can easily see the potential.

The paint job itself (and the sculpt for that matter) are amazing, which is why it's a bit disapointing that it's shown in what someone up-page described as a 'can't be bothered' pose. But it probably doesn't matter; I'm sure few if any people who were going to buy one will be dissuaded by how the stock photo is posed. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Like the parent company, Forge World seems to like to display their new stuff in the most easily assembled poses.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PeterWeller posted:

Like the parent company, Forge World seems to like to display their new stuff in the most easily assembled poses.

They are also a very small group and don't have dedicated model builders/painters for their stuff. It is accomplished by those that are passionate about the work they are doing. No FW models are assembled/painted by the 'Eavy Metal team either.

Not saying they shouldn't - just telling you why it is the way it is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I find it hard to believe they can't find mastercraft skill level painters/modelers who would do poo poo for them in return for models and a chance to do it "first".

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LingcodKilla posted:

I find it hard to believe they can't find mastercraft skill level painters/modelers who would do poo poo for them in return for models and a chance to do it "first".

I'm sure they could. I think there are also a lot of problems around what you propose. Meanwhile, as I said, the guys who ARE working on it are incredibly passionate. And although this model is not posed particularly exciting (imho), the paint job is far in excess of what a lot of people - including most here - could achieve.

Why go outside when you have people willing to do it, and do it well?

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Hand posted:

They are also a very small group and don't have dedicated model builders/painters for their stuff. It is accomplished by those that are passionate about the work they are doing. No FW models are assembled/painted by the 'Eavy Metal team either.

Not saying they shouldn't - just telling you why it is the way it is.

Oh I have no problem with it. I'd rather have the display models be fairly simple and unintimidating.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

Why go outside when you have people willing to do it, and do it well?

Because it would make the models potentially look a lot more appealing to people? I mean, I get that they don't wanna just outsource everything, but I agree with some of the other folks here- the GW and FW teams often don't do their own models a lot of credit with the promo stills.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got to hold it by the way guys... it was pretty cool, Rudge and I are like best friends now.

Also, here's a better angle on it

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 29, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's that gun do? In game terms it looks like a super punisher gun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vulcan Mega-Bolter. Usually on Warhound titans. 60", S6 AP3, Heavy 15.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's kind of cool would expect a higher ST but that's still really cool. Hopefully it has other options.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They also put Vulcan on the Stormlord Baneblade. drat that gun is sexy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

That's kind of cool would expect a higher ST but that's still really cool. Hopefully it has other options.

The Inferno Gun was shown, which is Hellstorm template, S7, AP3, Heavy 1. Can be torrented up to 18 inches.

Effective range of 34.5" with a 5" blast at the end of the teardrop.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

AbusePuppy posted:

Because it would make the models potentially look a lot more appealing to people? I mean, I get that they don't wanna just outsource everything, but I agree with some of the other folks here- the GW and FW teams often don't do their own models a lot of credit with the promo stills.

There's no need. Once the community gets a hold of the model and you see what some of the other people do - it will sell itself.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

The opposite can be said for some promo pictures. The running Revenant titan and the one leg jumping Phantom come to mind. To recreate either you need to drill out the weight bearing leg and (for the Phantom) thread 5mm steel rebar through it.

I remember one of the guys saying the worst thing they ever did was put the picture of the Phantom on one leg on the internet. So many people have called to complain about broken bits or their model being unable to stand as they dont have the level of modelling skill to do it. The Phantom kit now has a bad rap for being difficult to put together now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Cataphract posted:

I got to hold it by the way guys... it was pretty cool, Rudge and I are like best friends now.

Also, here's a better angle on it

Yeah, it's really cool in person, and for once it's a model that has massive ammo boxes on the back that might even let it fire its huge rotary cannons for more than 30 seconds.

• Locked thread