Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I need morph tokens of a bear suit with obvious zipper, stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Like so?

There's no rules reason why you couldn't remove the "with morph" restriction, right?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

There's no rules reason why you couldn't remove the "with morph" restriction, right?

Ixidron did it, I don't see why not.

e: They'd probably have to make it nontoken creature as with Ixidron.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are Innistrad flip cards really ever "face down/up", or are you referring to something else?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Esser-Z posted:

I need morph tokens of a bear suit with obvious zipper, stat.

Sleeves.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
If a creature without morph was turned face down, what would it's morph cost be? Pretty sure the reason they specify is to avoid abusing that sort of thing.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

If a creature without morph was turned face down, what would it's morph cost be? Pretty sure the reason they specify is to avoid abusing that sort of thing.

if a creature without morph is turned face down it cant be turned face up without something else forcing it to turn face up

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Are Innistrad flip cards really ever "face down", or are you referring to something else?

You could argue that they're always face-down (and always face-up at the same time) but I think the official ruling is that DFCs are immune to any morph-related effects.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

Are Innistrad flip cards really ever "face down/up", or are you referring to something else?

DFC's are always face up and can never be face down, turning a DFC face down will not cause it to transform.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Rinkles posted:

Wrong flip

Wrong card!

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=IXIDRON

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haha, my bad. What's the lore connection?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Rinkles posted:

Haha, my bad. What's the lore connection?

One is named Ixidor. One is named Ixidron.

They are similar. You have seen all of their connection.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm curious as to how morph is gonna be represented in flavor -- I don't really see them bringing back those weird grey spiders. Are they gonna get specific about it , or are we just to understand "these creatures are sneaky"?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

goferchan posted:

I'm curious as to how morph is gonna be represented in flavor -- I don't really see them bringing back those weird grey spiders. Are they gonna get specific about it , or are we just to understand "these creatures are sneaky"?

Zorak posted:

Morph in Khans of Tarkir is based on ancient draconic magic that the clans use to conceal their strength and forces when on the warpath.

It looks like this:

Essentially, you see flaming draconic mystery wave approaching and go "oh poo poo, that ain't one of ours!" then out of it unfolds a Tornado Elemental which proceeds to toss your dudes into orbit.

WIZARDS

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Edit: The rules actually state that DFC are always face up regardless. They simply can't be turned face down.

quote:

711.6. A double-faced permanent always has the status "face up" (see rule 110.6). Double-faced permanents can't be turned face down. If a spell or ability tries to turn a double-faced permanent face down, nothing happens.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 28, 2014

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Oh yeah. Guess that answers the question about unmorphable creatures.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ixidron is a wonderful card. Tuck is for squares - I'm just going to rip all the rules text off your general and let you figure out how to get him back.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Ixidron is a wonderful card. Tuck is for squares - I'm just going to rip all the rules text off your general and let you figure out how to get him back.

Wait for an inevitable board wipe and have him go back to the command zone?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

Its especially great when nobody actually runs bounce spells.

It's especially fun with Prophet of Kruphix.

End of turn flash in Ixidron. EVERYTHING IS BEARS! :getin:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

How is the new guy anything remotely resembling meteorite? Let's assume you are playing a mono blue deck:

Turn 3: 3 islands, UUU available, cast this guy.
Turn 4: 4 islands, spend UU to get UGR, tap this guy for U, tap 2 islands for UU, you now have UUUUGR = 6 mana.

I don't see what being a green deck has anything to do with comparing it to meteorite... At no point does spending 5 mana on a ramp spell enter the equation. It's way more like a variant of Coalition Relic than anything, and Relic saw a decent amount of play.

E: I wonder how people would evaluate the card if it was just morph - add g, r, or u to your mana pool with no trigger. It would be close to the same functionality but no one would call it a 5 mana ramp spell.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 28, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ramping you from 3 to 6 is nice, but this creature is pretty vulnerable and pretty likely to die before you get to untap with him. The same is true for elvish mystic, but 1 mana is a much smaller investment than 3.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bonus posted:

Ramping you from 3 to 6 is nice, but this creature is pretty vulnerable and pretty likely to die before you get to untap with him. The same is true for elvish mystic, but 1 mana is a much smaller investment than 3.

But 2 toughness might be a lot more than 1.

Also, 2 power is almost definitely better than 1 in a format promising to have Gray Ogres for days.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Since they like polymorphs to create 3/3s (see Pongify and Rapid Hybridization), we'll probably see "Turn target face-up creature face-down and put a +1/+1 counter on it".

That, or a morph o-ring type thing.

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
As ~ enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature is face-up, turn it face-down until ~ leaves the battlefield.
Enchanted creature can't be turned face-up.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

My guess is that we probably won't be seeing a lot of effects that mess with whether creatures are face-up or face-down because of NWO, and because there are already 5 clan mechanics. And I don't think they'll put such narrow and parasitic mechanics at rare.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bonus posted:

My guess is that we probably won't be seeing a lot of effects that mess with whether creatures are face-up or face-down because of NWO, and because there are already 5 clan mechanics. And I don't think they'll put such narrow and parasitic mechanics at rare.

There's nothing parasitic about turning your opponent's cards face-down.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bonus posted:

Three of those mechanics have yet to be revealed, and one could certainly involve Morph.
In fact, before Prowess was revealed, I expected the Jeskai mechanic to be morph-related.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Flipping creatures without morph would introduce too many headaches and confusion on all levels of play (imagine some rear end in a top hat calling a judge at the end of the game because the revealed previously flipped card didn't have morph; also could happen by mistake) to probably be worth it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
If I cast cryptic command to counter a spell and tap all of my opponent's creatures, then my opponent counters it, will performing funk magic and changing the target of cryptic command's "counter target spell" to counter the counter spell, counter that spell?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gensuki posted:

If I cast cryptic command to counter a spell and tap all of my opponent's creatures, then my opponent counters it, will performing funk magic and changing the target of cryptic command's "counter target spell" to counter the counter spell, counter that spell?

No, because the stack won't let Cryptic Command resolve until after your opponent's counterspell has resolved.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

No, cryptic is still in the same place on the stack, so your opponent's counterspell will still resolve first.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gensuki posted:

Are you redirecting this spell with a spell of your own? If so there's still something you can do here: redirect your opponent's counterspell to target your redirection spell. Then your redirect resolves, changes the opponent's counterspell target, and then your opponent's counterspell is countered on resolution with no valid target, and then your spell resolves.

Misdirection can be used as kind of a poor man's Force of Will in this way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Now I want to see a blue instant that's "Exile target spell. That spell's owner casts it without paying its mana cost if able."

Basically sort of a juke/rearrange the stack/get to pick different targets.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Now I want to see a blue instant that's "Exile target spell. That spell's owner casts it without paying its mana cost if able."

This post reminds me that what I want to see is Mind's Desire color-shifted to Red and named "Heart's Desire".

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

JerryLee posted:

A spell that costs R and says "resolve target spell"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sure those will all see print in Time Spiral II: gently caress You Newbies.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

e: this made sense in my head

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 29, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

I'm sure those will all see print in Time Spiral II: gently caress You Newbies.

Give me a common with a tap ability that says "Damage uses the stack this turn"

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Attorney at Funk posted:

Give me a common with a tap ability that says "Damage uses the stack this turn"

A series of enchantments that give various abilities like placing damage on the stack, granting creatures you control banding, revert the legend rules, and implement mana burn on your opponents.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Deofuta posted:

A series of enchantments that give various abilities like placing damage on the stack, granting creatures you control banding, revert the legend rules, and implement mana burn on your opponents.

Mana burn would actually be pretty easy to do considering Kruphix already allows storage of mana between turns. It would also be a good hoser for Kruphix as well. I'm not sure how they would do damage on the stack since I started playing after that change was made my head can't wrap around that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A hoser for a card that sees no play is definitely at thing they need to do.

I'm trying to think of how damage on the stack would affect standard. I guess it makes Experiment One significantly better. And all bounce spells.

• Locked thread