Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm just wondering if some wrestling gyms in America have hobbyist classes. As far as I understand, wrestling's a big thing in some parts of the states, would be weird if it would only be a playground for professional atheletes.

Yes some do, however there really aren't wrestling gyms. Wrestling is mostly an amateur sport here, so kids pick it up as a youth sport or in middle school (ages 13-14) or high school (ages 15-18). There are adult wrestling clubs but pretty much unless you are really good you only wrestle till the end of high school. If you are in an MMA gym they usually have hobbyist classes. Even if the classes aren't hobbyist level however, wrestling is a sport that can always use more bodies around for people to train. So even if the level of competition is well above you, you can gain knowledge and skills going against world class guys. It never hurts to go over fundmentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've just signed up for a Gracie BJJ class. so far I've taken 2 classes and need some pointers. what are the essentials to read / watch? I know nothing of the sport, aside from being an MMA fan (I realize this doesn't help at all). any customs or advice for complete beginners? thanks.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've just signed up for a Gracie BJJ class. so far I've taken 2 classes and need some pointers. what are the essentials to read / watch? I know nothing of the sport, aside from being an MMA fan (I realize this doesn't help at all). any customs or advice for complete beginners? thanks.

Relax and tap.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

ICHIBAHN posted:

Jiu Jitsu University. Also 420 watch Metamoris erry day.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Relax and tap.

Along with this as a complete beginner all you need to do is show up, listen to your instructors and shower after every class. Anything else is overthinking it.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

MagicCube posted:

Along with this as a complete beginner all you need to do is show up, listen to your instructors and shower after every class. Anything else is overthinking it.

And wash your drat gi.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

And don't get discouraged. For the first couple months you're going to feel like you're not improving, and that you're still just getting your rear end kicked all the time. Eventually someone new will come in, and to your surprise you'll absolutely dominate them and realize you are getting better.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I got really lucky in that four other guys started around the same time I did, so we're all sort of learning together and no one is getting dominated or falling behind. It's seriously the best fun.

Get a rash guard, I went from being red all over with just wearing a cotton t-shirt under my gi to completely fine after class. Wear something even if you don't have one though, no one wants to practice their hug-based art with a naked sweaty dude.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
thanks for the advice guys. in taking it all on board. I've ordered under armour, should be here for my next class. noticing a lot of cuts on the base of my feet though. anything I can wear to prevent that?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

thanks for the advice guys. in taking it all on board. I've ordered under armour, should be here for my next class. noticing a lot of cuts on the base of my feet though. anything I can wear to prevent that?

Is your skin really dry causing your feet to crack? If it is then moisturize your feet with foot cream. If they are literal cuts then it could be from peoples toenails and you could ask them to clip their nails!

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
These things will protect your feet/ankles from abrasions:

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/hayabusa_ashi%E2%84%A2_mma_foot_grips/hay-1014.html

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

any customs or advice for complete beginners? thanks.

fatherdog posted:

There's a lot of variance between BJJ schools when it comes to etiquette. For that, it's a good idea to talk to the instructor and ask if there's anything you should or shouldn't do during class. Some places are more formal than others.

General good ideas -

A) Relax.
B) Be clean/odorless. This includes not applying heavy amounts of cologne/perfume.
C) Relax.
D) Keep your nails trimmed.
E) Relax.
F) Don't get discouraged. You'll spend a lot of time early on "losing" in randori. Don't focus on "winning". Focus on one move, and doing it successfully. Once you can do that with some regularity, focus on going from that move to something else. Build your game piece by piece.
G) Relax.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, apparently Genki Sudo put on his own BJJ tournament yesterday, at a Zen Buddhist temple.

http://mma-in-asia.com/region/japan/genki-sudo-announces-contestants-ikkiuchi-8-man-grappling-tournament/
http://www.thefightnation.com/heres-a-looks-at-genki-sudos-epic-bjj-tournament-that-took-place-at-a-temple/

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Finland. The local bjj gym has only one submission wrestling class in a week and the fees are extremely gigh. The local wrestlinbg gym welcomed me but there are only kids and the few adults who train are international competitors, I couldn't do anything to them in a million years. Thankfully some members of our judo club have agreed to take one or two randori in a session without a jacket. Still, you'd have to specifically train for no-gi to get the real benefits.

I'm just wondering if some wrestling gyms in America have hobbyist classes. As far as I understand, wrestling's a big thing in some parts of the states, would be weird if it would only be a playground for professional atheletes.

Which town do you live in? Last I checked Finland had a pretty healthy grappling scene.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Do Jiu Jitsu folk wear cups? Because when I trained (if that's even the right word any more. When I attended classes and got constantly starched) I didn't ever do the Jiu Jitsu only classes but I have some bad memories of drilling arm bars with 320 pounds guys without cups. I don't like feelings alot of sack rubbed all over my body.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
we spoke about this at my last class & no, they don't. though I've only had 2 classes & that may only be the case with my gym, but no.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I wear a cup because I'm used to it. Some people do, some people don't. IBJJF gi competitions specifically ban them so if you intend to compete in one you may want to train without one some just to get used to it.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Compression shorts are a lot more comfortable for me than either a cup or loose shorts.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Compression shorts are a lot more comfortable for me than either a cup or loose shorts.

Agreed. Getting kneed in the junk is unpleasant, but happens pretty irregularly. I would think a cup would hinder flexibility.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

cptInsane0 posted:

I would think a cup would hinder flexibility.
But they make amazing arm-bar fulcrums.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I don't wear a cup in either gi or nogi, but I still use a jockstrap and compression shorts so I'm not just freeballing with a pajamas.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't wear a cup in either gi or nogi, but I still use a jockstrap and compression shorts so I'm not just freeballing with a pajamas.

I was at a really small grappling tournament in a tiny town and a guy was in the nogi division wearing sweatpants with no underwear and they fell down to his knees while he was defending a guillotine. The ref hitched them back up without stopping the match.

(this tournament was so bad I got absolute silver in no gi despite showing up to visit my friend unnanounced and him telling me an hour prior if I had $20 I could enter and represent his team)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I guess I just had some bad times being the larger built guy who was new enough to get stuck with the "oh god this is harder than band camp got my sneakers and sleeveless t shirt and I'm winded and fatter than holy hell and going to rub my loose balls and odors all over your soul" type guys.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Hard balls and cock protection is not legal in wrestling competition (FILA).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Do Jiu Jitsu folk wear cups? Because when I trained (if that's even the right word any more. When I attended classes and got constantly starched) I didn't ever do the Jiu Jitsu only classes but I have some bad memories of drilling arm bars with 320 pounds guys without cups. I don't like feelings alot of sack rubbed all over my body.

I do. Hate getting kneed/hit in the junk. It also prevents you from crushing your balls when you have terrible kneebars like I do.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I was at a really small grappling tournament in a tiny town and a guy was in the nogi division wearing sweatpants with no underwear and they fell down to his knees while he was defending a guillotine. The ref hitched them back up without stopping the match.

(this tournament was so bad I got absolute silver in no gi despite showing up to visit my friend unnanounced and him telling me an hour prior if I had $20 I could enter and represent his team)

It sounds like mobn lost some weight. Good for him.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Also what is a reasonable price for access to a decent gym? I'm trying to compare some stuff and see if my old man bones can handle man grabbing. (they can't)

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Also what is a reasonable price for access to a decent gym? I'm trying to compare some stuff and see if my old man bones can handle man grabbing. (they can't)

Depends on how often you go. I pay like 320 a quarter for unlimited access.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Just switched to a new gym in Boston that is 140 a month without contract and I actually thought that wasn't bad. Boston isn't NYC expensive but it's getting up there.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
My advice to beginners, keep in mind I'm barely past beginner myself, is to roll with a lot of different people. Roll with guys and girls and people way bigger than you and people smaller than you and people that have a ton of experience and people with no experience. Rolling with one person is an entirely different experience than rolling with another.

Also clean yourself and your gi you smelly fucks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It sounds like mobn lost some weight. Good for him.

What's a goon to a mobn?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

lmao

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I can't express how much I hate cups. I was training with a visiting pro fighter a few years ago and the guy ruptured my lumbar disk with his cup by attacking my back with his cup when he had my back.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

I can't express how much I hate cups. I was training with a visiting pro fighter a few years ago and the guy ruptured my lumbar disk with his cup by attacking my back with his cup when he had my back.

No offense, but if a dude ruptured your lumbar a lot more was wrong than the fact that he was wearing a cup.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I was reading about henry cejudo from the ufc thread. So he wins gold in 2008, and doesn't even make the team for 2012? Isn't that rather cold? He won a goddamn gold, maybe give him the benefit of the doubt. Or does the better wrestler almost exclusively win, and doing poorly in the trials said everything it needed to about his olympic prospects.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I cracked my face off a cup once during a botched takedown in HS.

:iiam:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Street Horrrsing posted:

I was reading about henry cejudo from the ufc thread. So he wins gold in 2008, and doesn't even make the team for 2012? Isn't that rather cold? He won a goddamn gold, maybe give him the benefit of the doubt. Or does the better wrestler almost exclusively win, and doing poorly in the trials said everything it needed to about his olympic prospects.

Even Bruce Baumgartner, who won 2 golds and a silver in 3 Olympics before Atlanta, had to qualify for his 4th where he won bronze. I don't know too much about high level wrestling, but from what I've gleaned in limited exposure is that there is no resting on laurels in wrestling. I also don't know much about college wrestling in the States, but Cael Sanderson fought 40 times a year and was undefeated. I doubt he was given the benefit of the doubt in anything and had to work his rear end off to get there.

From an outsider's perspective it seems like wrestling is something where you have to earn every single thing and there are no free passes (not sure about the last part, correct me if I'm wrong).

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 30, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

As far as I'm aware you have to qualify just like anybody else, they don't just hand out spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I wore a cup every class and nearly everyone at the school I used to train at did too.