Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

eff bioware for doing competent pr on this game

snakes and cakes chime in u got anything

- “I'm here to set things right. Also? To look dashing. That part's less difficult.”

Bioware's character writing is going to be as strong as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 644 days!)

A Steampunk Gent posted:

- “I'm here to set things right. Also? To look dashing. That part's less difficult.”

Bioware's character writing is going to be as strong as ever.

if i can dick this dude down with my burly dwarf rogue, goty.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

if i can dick this dude down with my burly dwarf rogue, goty.

You can, congratulations! As long as that burly dwarf rogue is male of course.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

Origin did not make a good first impression. When it launched, it was in terms of functionality just the old EA download manager with a lovely reskin, none of the existing bugs fixed and with a host of new bugs.
The first version of the EULA also had some mindbogglingly stupid crap like EA deactivating your account if it had been inactive for longer then 2 years, deleting all games, DLC, etc, associated with the account.

Another big reason for the hate came from the fact that Origin scans your active processes. EA gave a dumb statement about how that was necessary for Origin to work better and how everyone should trust them. However, the EULA stated that by installing Origin, you gave EA permission to track various data such what hardware you have, software you have installed and use and personal information. EA also reserved the right to sell that information to third parties.
After a lot of complaining and even some mainstream media attention, EA changed the EULA to state they'll only collect non-personal information.

EA does seem to have improved Origin a lot since it first launched. For example they've put their back catalogue (which goes way back) up on Origin. Implemented a refund policy. Optimized the program a lot (on my system it has gone from using up 20 times the system memory Steam takes up, to taking slightly less memory then Steam). They're also a bit more transparent about what data Origin collects.
At this point the people hating Origin mostly do so because it's EA. Heck, some people hate it just because of the name.

The real problem with Origin is that EA uses this to release their games exclusively on that platform. If I want to play Mass Effect 3 on Steam, I can't. I don't like being force-fed a specific service. Sure, they are free to do what they will with their games, but this is an rear end in a top hat move. I hasn't escaped me that Valve does the same (you can play their games only on their platform), but they are a game developer, not a publisher, so the amount of games exclusive to Steam is much, much smaller. Still an rear end in a top hat move.

I like the cynicism of these huge companies twist the idea of free market to accommodate for their greed sales target.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In fairness to them, EA has a valuable product that they want to make money from, and Steam while in general pretty benevolent has an equally corporate near-monopoly on digital distribution. It's easy to think of Origin as awful and Steam as great (because Steam is a better piece of software with a far larger consumer base), but they're really just competing businesses and there isn't anything intrinsically shady about EA taking their games off Steam so that they can monetise exclusivity to their own platform.

I mean, I still wish they didn't. Origin sucks!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Having to buy stupid Bioware Funny Money for some things is also a good reason to hate Origin. Our DLC is $24, but you can only buy Dumby Dollars in increments of $10.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

graynull posted:

Having to buy stupid Bioware Funny Money for some things is also a good reason to hate Origin. Our DLC is $24, but you can only buy Dumby Dollars in increments of $10.
Bioware's goobledogock points aren't an Origin thing. That was Bioware's own lovely system that they originally set up for DA:O. No clue why they kept it for ME3.
DA:I won't use goobledogock points though. You'll be able to buy DLC directly via Origin.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 28, 2014

Aled
Jun 3, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Bioware's goobledogock points aren't an Origin thing. That was Bioware's own lovely system that they originally set up for DA:O. No clue why they kept it for ME3.
DA:I won't use goobledogock points though. You'll be able to buy DLC directly via Origin.

The MP DLC will be free, SP DLC will be available for real money. The MP item packs will be in game gold or a new currency you can buy called Platinum. Hopefully the packs won't cost something like 1000 platinum and you can only buy platinum in odd amounts. (who am I kidding it's EA}

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WeaponBoy posted:

You mean you got banned from the forums and consequently got banned from Origin as well? That's absolutely not supposed to happen. Hell, a banned Origin account is only supposed to be denied access to some stuff like future purchases, not losing all of their previous games.

Would you be able to tell me the Origin ID of the banned account? I can go kick someone in Live Ops to figure out what the gently caress.

Pretty sure it was either Rynaga or KittenEmpress

either way though, the only game I had on it was SimCity, and I charge back'd it after I got banned so it doesn't actually matter. It's just a reason I'll never use Origin as a platform.

And yeah, I've been told that shouldn't have happened from the beginning, and that I could fight it, but I don't really care to fight it over pride or anything. I got my money back, EA lost a customer, it's a win win deal for me. :v:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

KittyEmpress posted:

Pretty sure it was either Rynaga or KittenEmpress

either way though, the only game I had on it was SimCity, and I charge back'd it after I got banned so it doesn't actually matter. It's just a reason I'll never use Origin as a platform.

And yeah, I've been told that shouldn't have happened from the beginning, and that I could fight it, but I don't really care to fight it over pride or anything. I got my money back, EA lost a customer, it's a win win deal for me. :v:

I couldn't find any accounts with those names that weren't marked as active. It's possible you got a temp ban of some sort or they flat out deleted the account, but anyone who is moderating forums shouldn't have the ability to do that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

EA lost a customer

Well, not if you buy it on the console :v:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hope you guys are ready to buy 1,000 gold chests to unlock that IX Ultra-Rare Axe Shaft. The only difference between this and ME3M is the combat and the maps.

I'm guessing they will have learned their lesson from ME3 and not make everything client side since it was trivially easy to cheat up millions of credits in 5 minutes with a few file edits. Pretty sure you only got banned if you did it in plain sight of another player who reported you too (although I stopped playing long ago so maybe they became more vigilant, but at the height of the game's popularity they were not). You're still gonna have people trying to find the Firebase White vs. Geth type exploits to make grinding easy though since you can't just buy what you want.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hopefully the randomness in the maps will curtail stuff like humping the cover in that one room for forty minutes.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It was definitely me who started railing on Origin so I guess I'll include I'm not wild about Steam either and will circumvent it when I can.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm not a huge fan of Steam but at least it has like, a bajillion games and good sales. Origin... less so.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Steam but at least it has like, a bajillion games and good sales. Origin... less so.

They've actually offered their entire library of games for free (by accident) at one or two points in the past. :)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lotish posted:

Only complaint I had was the random nature of the packages meant I never got the guns I wanted after earning the credits. But in this case, we can take stuff we don't want and break it down to make other stuff, even unlocking other characters in the process. Obviously I'll need to see it in practice before I pass judgment, but in theory I can get behind that.

That and the fact that everything had ten levels of upgrades and you wouldn't stop receiving cards for characters you already unlocked turned me off ME3's multiplayer. I just wanted to try all the new guys, but I couldn't stop getting cards for, say, Human Soldier or Avenger X. I did not want to play another dozen matches to hope that I won the lottery this time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Has there been any new information on mounts? I wanna ride a bear.

[insert preemptive joke about romance options]

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Has there been any new information on mounts? I wanna ride a bear.

[insert preemptive joke about romance options]

Not to my knowledge. I mean, you have a horse, or a swordpony if you have the DLC preorder stuff, but that's about it. Were there supposed to be lions and poo poo that we could ride?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They have said there will be mount variety in the game besides the normal horse, so you don't need the preorder DLC to have more than just one mount type. I remember they said something about a lizard-like horse or mount being an option, though as I recall they were quick to point out that doesn't mean you can ride a dragon or wyvern.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

They have said there will be mount variety in the game besides the normal horse, so you don't need the preorder DLC to have more than just one mount type. I remember they said something about a lizard-like horse or mount being an option, though as I recall they were quick to point out that doesn't mean you can ride a dragon or wyvern.

So a manticore. Sounds awesome.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Frankly, I would like my own Leopold.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm hoping this means we get Dewbacks or Dewback Equivalents.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Frankly, I would like my own Leopold.

If we play as a dwarf we just ride around on the shoulders of one of our companions.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

If we play as a dwarf we just ride around on the shoulders of one of our companions.

I actually do this in a tabletop game I play in. It's just a great mental image.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Seeing as the characters in multiplayer banter with one another, I really hope they go pretty meta if everyone picks the same one. Even if it's just slightly jokey comments about how they always agree. Not acknowledging it in any sense would be a bit stupid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Geostomp posted:

That and the fact that everything had ten levels of upgrades and you wouldn't stop receiving cards for characters you already unlocked turned me off ME3's multiplayer. I just wanted to try all the new guys, but I couldn't stop getting cards for, say, Human Soldier or Avenger X. I did not want to play another dozen matches to hope that I won the lottery this time.

Yeah, that got pretty annoying, but it sounds like DA3 is going to have a crafting system wherein you can break down the loot you get into components if you decide you don't want it...hopefully that will cut down on the useless loot grinding at least a little bit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I actually do this in a tabletop game I play in. It's just a great mental image.

Had it not been the Frostbite engine my day one mod would be to have, if you weren't a dwarf, you riding Varric's shoulders.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Drifter posted:

Only acceptable if the mount is the original Grey Warden PC. And all he says is his most famous line regarding a ladder.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

Had it not been the Frostbite engine my day one mod would be to have, if you weren't a dwarf, you riding Varric's shoulders.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
poo poo, of COURSE there would be a strobe effect shader wherever we walked.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

too sweet

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Raygereio posted:

Origin did not make a good first impression. When it launched, it was in terms of functionality just the old EA download manager with a lovely reskin, none of the existing bugs fixed and with a host of new bugs.
The first version of the EULA also had some mindbogglingly stupid crap like EA deactivating your account if it had been inactive for longer then 2 years, deleting all games, DLC, etc, associated with the account.

Another big reason for the hate came from the fact that Origin scans your active processes. EA gave a dumb statement about how that was necessary for Origin to work better and how everyone should trust them. However, the EULA stated that by installing Origin, you gave EA permission to track various data such what hardware you have, software you have installed and use and personal information. EA also reserved the right to sell that information to third parties.
After a lot of complaining and even some mainstream media attention, EA changed the EULA to state they'll only collect non-personal information.

EA does seem to have improved Origin a lot since it first launched. For example they've put their back catalogue (which goes way back) up on Origin. Implemented a refund policy. Optimized the program a lot (on my system it has gone from using up 20 times the system memory Steam takes up, to taking slightly less memory then Steam). They're also a bit more transparent about what data Origin collects.
At this point the people hating Origin mostly do so because it's EA. Heck, some people hate it just because of the name.

Right now my own Origin quagmire is half their fault and half my own doing:

-Reinstalled Mass Effect 2 on Steam
-Whoops, BioWare Social Network is broken and I can't get the DLC installers!
-Oh whatever, ME1 and ME2 are cheap. I'll just buy the triolgy on Origin.
-*buy*
-Wait, what's Redeem Product? I wonder if this works with Steam keys?
-*redeem*
-Well, gently caress.

Fast forward to me having two copies of ME1 and ME2, one copy of ME3 and an outstanding refund request that might cost me my Steam keys for ME1 and ME2 since Origin customer service reps had no idea what I was talking about when I gave them the above timeline. Five minutes of explaining resulted in the first rep telling me to contact Steam customer service even after I told him I bought the games before Origin even existed, and when I asked for his manager I somehow ended up talking to EA Sports. The ME2 licenses are slightly different as only one appears to support cloud saves and the other gets a Cipher Error if I try to open it without running an update on the first one.

Yeah it's my own fault for not trying to redeem existing CD keys first, but EA's treatment of paying customers is industry-worst.

Furism posted:

The real problem with Origin is that EA uses this to release their games exclusively on that platform. If I want to play Mass Effect 3 on Steam, I can't. I don't like being force-fed a specific service. Sure, they are free to do what they will with their games, but this is an rear end in a top hat move. I hasn't escaped me that Valve does the same (you can play their games only on their platform), but they are a game developer, not a publisher, so the amount of games exclusive to Steam is much, much smaller. Still an rear end in a top hat move.

I like the cynicism of these huge companies twist the idea of free market to accommodate for their greed sales target.
I honestly can't blame EA if Valve really is charging Apple Tax amounts for their cut of sales. That's only going to work for so long when a publisher has the capital to built their own infrastructure and keep 100% of a sale. We're lucky it hasn't happened with Ubisoft or Activision (though Blizzard built Battle.Net in parallel, right down to non-standard 2FA).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 29, 2014

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Some tweets coming out of PAX-

A war nug will be one of the mounts.
You will have the option to turn of friendly fire.
You can swim, but if you go too far, you'll get fatigued and probably die.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Leelee posted:

Some tweets coming out of PAX-

A war nug will be one of the mounts.

GOTY

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
cannot wait to not buy this poo poo

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Dragon Age Keep Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNDZ0Ih3v0&feature=youtu.be

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Keep definitely more involved than I thought.

paragon1 posted:

I'm hoping this means we get Dewbacks or Dewback Equivalents.

Brontos just have to be an option. If a War Nug is in, how can a Bronto not?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Haven't watched it yet but there is a 45 minute Q&A if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Keep looks like it's 1000% better than buggy savegame imports.

• Locked thread