Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a MMO, suspecting someone because they have a ~dark and edgy~ name will not reduce your potential suspects by much. Also, as was said, Pale Rider had an equally if not even more suspicious name, considering...well, I don't know German, so I only got this one...

Every single one of the three names is an allusion to Death. Juushi X can be read as GUNDEATH in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Was not expecting that particular Evangelion reference.

I have to say I was rather disappointed by that.

They barely lasted 30s. I was expecting the full minute at least, given how this season has been paced so far.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Does anyone else find the nurse a bit suspicious? In Episode 7, she told Kirito that she doesn't know anything about SAO but right before he logged in she called him Kirito. I think she might be the one killing people in the real world.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Clarste posted:

Every single one of the three names is an allusion to Death. Juushi X can be read as GUNDEATH in Japanese.

Okay, that's pretty good, but it's so obvious I'd be disappointed if that was the correct pun. Also it was not third on the list of three dramatic things. :colbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Paracelsus posted:

Was not expecting that particular Evangelion reference.
What reference?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KonvexKonkav posted:

Does anyone else find the nurse a bit suspicious? In Episode 7, she told Kirito that she doesn't know anything about SAO but right before he logged in she called him Kirito. I think she might be the one killing people in the real world.

Uh, she handled rehab for Kirito after SAO. She knows the basics of what happened, not the game's mechanics or what it was like in there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sindai posted:

What reference?

The elevator scene that starts at 10:21. The shot is framed similarly the original, and Kirito and Sinon are in the same positions as Rei and Asuka, respectively. It even switches to the shot from behind Kirito/Rei, although it's Sinon who's speaking instead of Kirito. Not sure if the cuts to the elevator's progress indicator are exactly the same, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zettace posted:

Kirito didn't know swimming underwater would have that effect either. The way I understood it is that removing the gear was needed to swim and he just swam to avoid other players spotting him directly. He only learned about it when Sinon told him he wasn't on the map.

Makes sense to me. In shooters where swimming is an option (GTAV) swimming makes you very vulnerable but can also make you harder to spot, because who would swim its stupid! *Doesn't look at the water as someone swims up to him*

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

KonvexKonkav posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Uh, she handled rehab for Kirito after SAO. She knows the basics of what happened, not the game's mechanics or what it was like in there.

Ah, nevermind then. I don't remember much from the first season after Kirito got out of SAO.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
This is the first time we've seen her, but her introductory scene explains their relationship.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

The elevator scene that starts at 10:21. The shot is framed similarly the original, and Kirito and Sinon are in the same positions as Rei and Asuka, respectively. It even switches to the shot from behind Kirito/Rei, although it's Sinon who's speaking instead of Kirito. Not sure if the cuts to the elevator's progress indicator are exactly the same, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Whenever someone mentions an Evangelion reference I think of someone jacking it over a girl's unconscious body.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Elevator reminded me of the same thing.

arhra posted:

They barely lasted 30s. I was expecting the full minute at least, given how this season has been paced so far.
Ha ha ha well there's always next time. :smith:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There are a lot of Catholics(or Orthodox I guess) in Japan? Why would a Japanese gamer do the sign of the cross ever? I know goth kids wear crosses and poo poo to be edgy but crossing yourself isn't exactly a natural thing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

There are a lot of Catholics(or Orthodox I guess) in Japan? Why would a Japanese gamer do the sign of the cross ever? I know goth kids wear crosses and poo poo to be edgy but crossing yourself isn't exactly a natural thing.

To be edgy.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Okay, that's pretty good, but it's so obvious I'd be disappointed if that was the correct pun. Also it was not third on the list of three dramatic things. :colbert:

you were wrong and dumb

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

you were wrong and dumb

please tell me how do I restore my family's honor

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Dude has already built this whole death gun persona and already spouted off that weird speech when he shot that tv. Seems like normal behavior for the guy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We should also recall that GGO is hosted in the USA and therefore most of the gamers are Americans. So either Death Gun is an American who we haven't met yet or it really is Friend-Zone in which case he's Christian (possible) or he's emulating Americans the way an American player of a Japanese samurai game might bow.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

jng2058 posted:

We should also recall that GGO is hosted in the USA and therefore most of the gamers are Americans. So either Death Gun is an American who we haven't met yet or it really is Friend-Zone in which case he's Christian (possible) or he's emulating Americans the way an American player of a Japanese samurai game might bow.

Aren't they playing on the Japanese server?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I don't recall that. I remember them explicitly showing the servers in the USA on the East Coast somewhere, never saw one in Japan. Time zones being what they are you're going to get a lot more Japanese players at the time that Kirito is playing (and Australians, Koreans, and Chinese, but never mind that right now) so there will be more Japanese players around just then, but it's still primarily a Japanese game as far as I can tell.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I don't recall that. I remember them explicitly showing the servers in the USA on the East Coast somewhere, never saw one in Japan. Time zones being what they are you're going to get a lot more Japanese players at the time that Kirito is playing (and Australians, Koreans, and Chinese, but never mind that right now) so there will be more Japanese players around just then, but it's still primarily a Japanese game as far as I can tell.

I think they said earlier it's an American game but they have a bunch of Japanese staff to handle localization and such.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There's both an American and Japanese server. The company itself is based in the US, probably due to wanting to dodge some law or another. Some foreign nationalities play on the Japanese one, but for the most part it's players from Japan.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The tournament started at 8pm Japanese time which wouldn't make sense for American players.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Death Gun confirmed for terrible reverse weaboo status :allears:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

The tournament started at 8pm Japanese time which wouldn't make sense for American players.

It would be around a 5am-8am start for American players which isn't unrealistic if there's a considerable presence in both timezones.
EDIT: It would work better for it to be the other way around (5-8pm for America, 8am for Japan) but then the tournament would be on day 'x' in the US and on 'x+1' in Japan, which would split the dates and potentially cause confusion with advertising the tournament time. Having most games use the American m/d/y format is confusing enough already.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 28, 2014

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

It would be around a 5am-8am start for American players which isn't unrealistic if there's a considerable presence in both timezones.
EDIT: It would work better for it to be the other way around (5-8pm for America, 8am for Japan) but then the tournament would be on day 'x' in the US and on 'x+1' in Japan, which would split the dates and potentially cause confusion with advertising the tournament time. Having most games use the American m/d/y format is confusing enough already.

:spergin: about date format: seems like the ideal format would be year/month/day. When you're sorting by date modified, your computer is basically doing that behind the scenes, regardless of how it's presented to the user.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Feed Me A Cat posted:

:spergin: about date format: seems like the ideal format would be year/month/day. When you're sorting by date modified, your computer is basically doing that behind the scenes, regardless of how it's presented to the user.
That's actually what Japan use for their date format. Signing up for a lot of online services usually throw the mm/dd/yy format at me when asking for a DOB. Then again, SAO is set in the future so maybe the world's sorted out all that 'different for the sake of being different' poo poo between countries.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

That's actually what Japan use for their date format. Signing up for a lot of online services usually throw the mm/dd/yy format at me when asking for a DOB. Then again, SAO is set in the future so maybe the world's sorted out all that 'different for the sake of being different' poo poo between countries.

Phahaha like America would ever surrender to those metric using pansies.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Finally, a good episode. Nice mix of action and chat with the old characters. If only we had this more often it'd be a good show. (Next Episode Spoilers) A shame Sinon doesn't die. That'd make this show far more interesting.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That is the kind of episode we all came here to watch. Lots of single-frame animation phases in this episode if you watch out for them during the Kirito-being-Kirito moments.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 31, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

"Now that we've established that Death Gun is exploiting the radar system, let's assume that he didn't do it for some reason this pass!?"

What. Why would you think this.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jackard posted:

"Now that we've established that Death Gun is exploiting the radar system, let's assume that he didn't do it for some reason this pass!?"

My money is on Kirito using her as bait. It's kinda a dick move, but he has to know how hard this guy would be to find if he wasn't coming out to gloat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jackard posted:

Or they think the water is the only way of exploiting it. Simple assumptions make screw ups.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Or they think the water is the only way of exploiting it. Simple assumptions make screw ups.

This is what I understood as well. They think Death Gun pulled the same stunt Kirito did (hiding underwater), while in reality he can go invisible to even the radar at will. This is likely not something anyone can normally do in-game (just like killing people from a video game), so they did not expect it, nor could plan around it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

They believe he is using the water to hide from radar. So why do they expect him to show up on the radar?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is what I understood as well. They think Death Gun pulled the same stunt Kirito did (hiding underwater), while in reality he can go invisible to even the radar at will. This is likely not something anyone can normally do in-game (just like killing people from a video game), so they did not expect it, nor could plan around it.

I can see Kirito not knowing about invisibility but Sinon is a veteran who knows shitloads about the itemization within the game. She recognized his rare as poo poo Sniper Rifle but not a overpowered invisibility cloak?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Jackard posted:

They believe he is using the water to hide from radar. So why do they expect him to show up on the radar?

They're assuming that he wants to kill the other players, and to do that he'd need to leave the water since swimming leaves you naked. Why they assumed that he absolutely MUST have been in the water and MUST have gone to that one specific area was really silly and convoluted as gently caress. "He's a sniper and doesn't do well in wide open areas :downs:" is shaky as gently caress because they found him on a loving bridge in the middle of nowhere to begin with. I honestly don't mind all that much because I'm sure the explanation is a bunch of LN :words: and I'm really not on board for that anyway.

I did like the remix of "swordland" that played when Kirito was being Kirito this episode, on a positive note.

edit: Are we just not spoiler tagging discussion of the latest episode anymore or what?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jackard posted:

Because the river ended, they didn't see him, and they assumed he'd go into the abandoned city?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Why would he get out of the water before the scan passes?

E: The only way this can make sense was mentioned earlier, Sinon making a mistake and Kirito using her as bait. Works with the "my attack in 30 seconds" line.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jackard posted:

Why would he get out of the water before the scan passes?

Exactly. They aren't near the water, and the scan didn't show him, so they assumed he was nowhere around because they thought he was hiding in the water. It just turns out they were wrong and he has some cloak that's making him not show up on the radar at all, and they just assumed he was hiding in water since that's what Kirito did.

Or that's what I got from the episode, I'm not a book reader or anything.

• Locked thread