Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Doesn't work if you're a phantom, only the host.

I've heard it does, tho I haven't bothered to confirm for myself.

Hipster Occultist posted:

How do I do the dlc room with the big headless guy and the four armored skeletons? :psyduck:

I literally cannot commit to any attacks or I die. There must be something I'm missing here.

If it's the room I'm thinking of (the one that also has the ashen statue), there are a few things you can do. For one, knock as many of the barrel carriers into there as you can. More likely than not they're wander over to the smelter golem, and his lava will blow them up doing decent damage, possible taking out other enemies. You can take out the archer above by entering from a side door, and from there you can also snipe some of the enemies.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

How do I do the dlc room with the big headless guy and the four armored skeletons? :psyduck:

I literally cannot commit to any attacks or I die. There must be something I'm missing here.

I used poison arrows from on top the ladder. Some people do hit and run. Some people lead them around in circles before breaking off for the lever to open the door and ignore them entirely.

Genocyber posted:

I've heard it does, tho I haven't bothered to confirm for myself.

I tried it to see what would happen. He doesn't care.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
EDIT: IGNORE ME!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Or you can use the guys carrying the barrels and just wait the the big headless guys gets near one. Spewing lava should do the trick to one shot his rear end.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Climb partially down the ladder to aggro the guys and then pick them off with a bow. Also, on the way down (just down the ladder near the water jars) there's a break in the bars; look carefully and you can see explosive barrels blocking a door with the sniper behind it. Shoot the barrels with a fire arrow and head over there to kill the sniper and use his spot to pick off more enemies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Relying on the barrel guys and flamethrowers was kinda neat. Didn't have to do it, but if you did it was pretty natural feeling.

God knows how anyone found their way around those towers when they were in use though.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

Climb partially down the ladder to aggro the guys and then pick them off with a bow. Also, on the way down (just down the ladder near the water jars) there's a break in the bars; look carefully and you can see explosive barrels blocking a door with the sniper behind it. Shoot the barrels with a fire arrow and head over there to kill the sniper and use his spot to pick off more enemies.

I saw a message to attack the door, which knocks the barrels out of the way and let's you open the door. That room is pretty cool.
I chased a bunch of barrel dudes into there and then let them mill around. Once they were near the armored guys I threw a firebomb down there and it killed everyone but the big guy. The big guy isn't any harder than one of the larger giants, like the ones in the black gultch.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Basically in the room with the trapdoor I just sniped everybody below with my bow until it was just that archer left. The barrel guys just kind of mosey around so it wasn't a big deal. In fact, I used my bow way more times in the IC DLC than any other portion of the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tamayachi posted:

Basically in the room with the trapdoor I just sniped everybody below with my bow until it was just that archer left. The barrel guys just kind of mosey around so it wasn't a big deal. In fact, I used my bow way more times in the IC DLC than any other portion of the game.
Bows seem to be the safe way to handle many areas in Bruma, but it can get really tedious even with fully upgraded bow, 40 Dex, RoB, and Flynn's.

It is amusing that Nashandra is now an even bigger joke than before, since thanks to the hollow mask melee characters can get right up to her without worrying about curse.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Paracelsus posted:

Bows seem to be the safe way to handle many areas in Bruma, but it can get really tedious even with fully upgraded bow, 40 Dex, RoB, and Flynn's.

It wasn't TOO bad since I had stocked up on Magic Arrows before hand, takes about 5 shots to kill the knights, maybe 4 if you get headshots. This is with an unupgraded bow and like 40 dex.

EDIT: The giant knights took like 15 shots of Magic Arrows.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

It is amusing that Nashandra is now an even bigger joke than before, since thanks to the hollow mask melee characters can get right up to her without worrying about curse.

That's what you can do already, as long as you dodge her slow rear end attacks. Is there some passive curse aura on her I never noticed?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Leadthumb posted:

That's what you can do already, as long as you dodge her slow rear end attacks. Is there some passive curse aura on her I never noticed?

She summons weird Dark pillar things that have an AoE curse effect like the curse jars from the Shaded Ruins.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Tamayachi posted:

She summons weird Dark pillar things that have an AoE curse effect like the curse jars from the Shaded Ruins.

They die in one hit from anything though. Do people not instantly chop those down?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Purely anecdotal but I've never been able to consistently hit those things, regardless of the weapon I'm using. It's kinda frustrating.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Purely anecdotal but I've never been able to consistently hit those things, regardless of the weapon I'm using. It's kinda frustrating.

Oh weird, maybe I'm just lucky but it's like I can't miss them. Sometimes I just swing wildly and they die even if it looks like I shouldn't have hit them.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Welp, Smelter Demon 2.0 has some insane sorcery resist that's for sure.

Now I see why From stuck 2 soul vessels behind that wall.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Welp, Smelter Demon 2.0 has some insane sorcery resist that's for sure.

Now I see why From stuck 2 soul vessels behind that wall.

Most enemies in the DLC do for that matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smornstein posted:

It takes four dark orbs to kill a barrel dude at 35 int with the Dark BWS +10 (or I can poke them with my dark claymore or dark roaring halberd and make them explode because Truest Dark is apparently really flammable). So far not really regretting taking 30 points out of int, faith, and attunement and cramming it into endurance, strength, and dexterity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Smornstein posted:

I skipped around Peeve Peeverson's stream of the DLC. It was funny watching him struggle so much due to being a sorcery build with only the Malformed Claw as a weapon. His sorceries did fine damage to the regular enemies tho.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I feel silly to be asking this about the base game of all things but how the hell do you reliably fight your way to Velstadt, anyway? I've managed to git gud enough to mostly-reliably parry the guards and it's still a really tedious process where you're just running in circles half the time. It's all well and good when it's just one at a time but most of those fuckers attack you in a phalanx and you just can't melee them like that. Stone Ring isn't enough to poise break them and of course the shields block everything (and always count as up unless they're actively attacking).

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

I feel silly to be asking this about the base game of all things but how the hell do you reliably fight your way to Velstadt, anyway? I've managed to git gud enough to mostly-reliably parry the guards and it's still a really tedious process where you're just running in circles half the time. It's all well and good when it's just one at a time but most of those fuckers attack you in a phalanx and you just can't melee them like that. Stone Ring isn't enough to poise break them and of course the shields block everything (and always count as up unless they're actively attacking).

What I do is lure them out one at a time with a bow and just avoid their big attack and backstab them.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

When they do their combo, they are ALWAYS vulnerable after the third swing. Use the mace and backstab them, or just get some hit in.
If you are not melee, just throw dark orbs or pyromancies at them from far away, so the won't block. Luring them into lingering flames drops them down into low HP.
When it's two coming at you, make one attack and back up, the other will attack and you can hit the second one before the first one is ready to attack you again.
There's always poison arrows too.

I usually use the mace for that hallway personally. I don't know where the game crosses the line upgrade wise, but I have always been able to kill them in one backstab with the mace on my melee characters. You can make your mace +6 or more by that point easily, and have like 25 str. I think that is enough to one-shot them with back stabs.

edit: to me that hallway is a stamina check for melee characters. You have to have enough to be running around and rolling and attacking, and still be able to roll away.
I can't speak for casters. Everytime I make a caster I end up just using buffs and melee-ing anyways hahaha!

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 29, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smornstein posted:

What I do is lure them out one at a time with a bow and just avoid their big attack and backstab them.

nope. Enemies have aggro groups and if you aggro one you aggro all, irrespective of distance. Same problem with slogging all the way through the priestesses from the middle Amana Shrine bonfire only to get gang banged by the Lindelt Clerics and die right at the end.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mr Dog posted:

nope. Enemies have aggro groups and if you aggro one you aggro all, irrespective of distance. Same problem with slogging all the way through the priestesses from the middle Amana Shrine bonfire only to get gang banged by the Lindelt Clerics and die right at the end.

You could try to make a Beeline for Agadyne's summon marker and get him to help out. There's also the NPC summon for Amana who will take aggro while you walk through the fog wall to the bonfire.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Mr Dog posted:

Bait an attack and then roll past and backstab. Even the ones that come in pairs are vulnerable to it. It's a bit of a slog, but you can do it with some patience.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Once you really get backstabbing down, that hallway will be much easier.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it bad manners to use estus flasks in pvp.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you're doing a bridge duel: yes.
If you're being invaded: gently caress manners, do whatever you need to do.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

SHISHKABOB posted:

No.

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.

Paracelsus posted:

Which mask is that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr Dog posted:

Are you confused about which area he's talking about? The group only aggro as a whole if you go all the way to the fog gate and even then a couple of them hang back just to guard it.

The easiest method to deal with them is something like the Mace, because the one-handed R2 stuns them. The Mace, if you judge how soon you can get and its effectiveness, is basically the best weapon in the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So uh how does the Umbral Dagger stack up to the vanilla Dagger wrt shanking people

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So uh how does the Umbral Dagger stack up to the vanilla Dagger wrt shanking people

It's trash.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
dlc bosses in ng4 are horse poo poo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

dlc bosses in ng4 are horse poo poo

Hello I'm a knight with 50,000 hit points. I have long fingers and a big sword. If you don't forward this message to at least 15 people in the next 30 minutes, I will climb in your kitchen window when you go to bed and smash up all your wooden chests.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Whats the fastest way to get 44 twinkling titanite? Using Cheatengine doesn't count (PS3)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Whats the fastest way to get 44 twinkling titanite? Using Cheatengine doesn't count (PS3)

ascetic the mouth monster bonfire in sunken king => collect twinkling titanites and dragon bones from all the corpses

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tamayachi posted:

It wasn't TOO bad since I had stocked up on Magic Arrows before hand, takes about 5 shots to kill the knights, maybe 4 if you get headshots. This is with an unupgraded bow and like 40 dex.

EDIT: The giant knights took like 15 shots of Magic Arrows.
The regular sized knights aren't too bad, but the fume wizards, possessed armors, and those clerics in astrologer's robes all take a boatload, and some seem to take less damage from magic arrows than they do from iron arrows.

mandrake776 posted:

Which mask is that?
Hollow Skin, the ugliest headgear in the game but it gives you 1000 curse resist and apparently gives a Guidance effect as well.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ascetic the mouth monster bonfire in sunken king => collect twinkling titanites and dragon bones from all the corpses

Alternatively, asceticing the dragon aerie bonfire is pretty solid as well. Lair of the Imperfect probably slightly quicker, since you're killing tougher and tougher gently caress-off dragons doing the aerie method.

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Alternatively, asceticing the dragon aerie bonfire is pretty solid as well. Lair of the Imperfect probably slightly quicker, since you're killing tougher and tougher gently caress-off dragons doing the aerie method.

I don't think you get twinkling from the Lair of the Imperfect.

I'd say ascetic the giant memories, you can get 3 and an ascetic from one of them pretty sure. But if you have trouble with giant lord don't do that I guess.