Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just had a thought with elective gavelkind (and correct me if they actually clarified what it would really be), but I'd hazard a guess that the way Elective gavelkind might work is that your primary title is subject to the election mechanics, while all your other titles are subject to standard gavelkind mechanics, meaning that if you are a king-level pagan, your duchies get split amongst your kids, and all your vassals elect a new high king, possibly with a tanistry-style preference given to a person not one of your children (and maybe even a preference for someone not of your dynasty, for electors who are not in your dynasty).

I'm thinking that if Elective gavelkind is meant to be a human-thwarting succession law, that would be the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla
May 10, 2008

axeil posted:

If the adventurer bug isn't fixed the game is really going to be unplayable for anything other than giant empires...which are getting nerfed/destabilized. Playing for 100 years, and then having an adventurer spawn with 3 times your troop levies when you only hold a dukedom is pretty much a game over. As it is the only way to really deal with them is the assassinate button.

console-> charinfo 1 -> <copy adventurer's character id> -> kill <id> :D

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Apoffys posted:

Playing the Byzantines in the earliest start date (Old Gods), trying to retake Italy. I don't know how much more legit a claim you can get, but I still only get to take one county at a time from the Italian king.

And yes, I could just select all the levies and tell them to gather up somewhere. That would work fine if they were all in the same area. The problem is that many are on islands or very far away, and need to be fetched with ships. The only thing worse than sending a fleet to pick up ~100 of Maltas finest archers is being so desperate for troops that you have no choice but to do it. Usually I can just disband the island levies though, but still...

You could always put island-counts under less powerful dukes closer to Italy. Their levies will get fetched up wherever the duke's are.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm okay with making vassal management more difficult, with the provision that I am worried it will lead to AI kingdoms disintegrating on the regular.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Remember, a truce lasts ten years or until the death of one of the parties. :commissar:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

This thing called "secret bears" came up during the stream, and I have no idea what its about. Would someone care to explain?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VerdantSquire posted:

This thing called "secret bears" came up during the stream, and I have no idea what its about. Would someone care to explain?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82485&d=1370418450

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

VerdantSquire posted:

You don't have clearance to know that, citizen. Please go about your bear free life.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm okay with making vassal management more difficult, with the provision that I am worried it will lead to AI kingdoms disintegrating on the regular.

a change put in by PDS to thwart the latest super-fast world conquest strategy, backfiring hilariously? Why I never :monocle:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Excelzior posted:

a change put in by PDS to thwart the latest super-fast world conquest strategy, backfiring hilariously? Why I never :monocle:

Compared to the usual stability I see AI kingdoms disintegrating regularly seems more like a secondary benefit than it does backfiring.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I desperately want this to go into the game just to watch the paradox forums explode into frothing anger. It'll be beautiful.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Secret bears need to be thing, I want to become the Dovahbear in my Elder Kings game. :getin:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VerdantSquire posted:

I desperately want this to go into the game just to watch the paradox forums explode into frothing anger. It'll be beautiful.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but ahistoric!!! Immersion!!! Vote with your wallet!!! No one cares about Native americans!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VerdantSquire posted:

Why is this thread so obsessed with the Paradox forums.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Yeah I am thinking the same thing. The player will figure out how to hold empires together with the new system but if the ai has a harder time holding poo poo together it might just make blobbing even easier, even if you are fighting stronger rebellions.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

I just wish I could table job offers as an incentive for people to come to my court. You want to be marshal? I'll hire your rear end. It ain't happening where you're at.

e: grammar

cosmosisjones fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 29, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cosmosisjones posted:

I just wish I could table job offers as an incentive for people to come to my court. You want to be marshal? I'll hire your rear end. It ain't happening where your at.

That would just give another superfluous advantage to the player.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Because they are all horrible :spergin: who care way too much about things that don't matter, and are super easy to make fun of.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

True. Still would be nice.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Right but isnt it kinda silly that as the King of England I have claim to the duchy of York and Northumbria, which is held by Norse Jorvik. I declare a holy war on Norse Jorvik but because I am way more powerful than them, they convert to Catholosism to get out of the war. So I wait out the truce and have to take one of my du jure provinces from him at a time? Its a crock of poo poo if you ask me. I have a claim to that land as the King of England. I just smashed your armies and have the entirety of your realm occupied, but because :rules: I can only take one of the x counties that are rightfully mine.

edit: I mean let me take the land and give me some sort of diplo-relation penalty, or vassalize the duke without taking any land from him and have to deal with a super duke, but dont just look at that mechanic and tell me "working as intended".

This is already in the game; just break the truce. The loss of prestige is pretty meaningless and you receive a diplomatic penalty with other lieges of that religion, and your own vassals (through the -5 penalty to Diplomacy). Also, since he converted to Catholicism and he holds your de jure land, can't you vassalize him?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Disillusionist posted:

This is already in the game; just break the truce. The loss of prestige is pretty meaningless and you receive a diplomatic penalty with other lieges of that religion, and your own vassals (through the -5 penalty to Diplomacy). Also, since he converted to Catholicism and he holds your de jure land, can't you vassalize him?

Foreigner and Small Difference in Rank maluses would still apply. Highly unlikely.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Because we have to be better than somebody.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Is there a way to change the size of a mercenary group or holy order in events/decisions?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Same reason we are obsessed with Balkan nationalists, their funny.

What is your obsession with our obsession.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

James Garfield posted:

Is there a way to change the size of a mercenary group or holy order in events/decisions?

Not currently, the best you can do is deactivate one title and activate a different one with the same flag/localisation text but a different mercenary composition entry/levy_size value.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Bort Bortles posted:

I've put 500+ hours into the game and know the work-arounds, but that doesnt mean I do not like the way it works.

Such arrogance! (That's a "this game is incredibly complex" joke, not a "you're dumb" joke.)

So... sorry if this is in poor taste, but current events have gotten me interested in playing a historic (and Kurdish) Yazidi game. (I had an English Yazidi Republic once in a "how weird can I get" game.) Are there any in the game? Is there any good way to find out?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yazidi in-game is represented as a Sunni heresy for gameplay purposes (the tooltip even says as much - in fact most non-Christian heresies are actually separate religions.)

Getting the Sunni MA down low enough will cause heresies to spawn in a random order (this can be accomplished by just letting the Fatimids do their job.)

If there are more characters who follow the heresy than those who follow the "mainstream" religion, the heresy becomes the dominant form of the religion.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Such arrogance! (That's a "this game is incredibly complex" joke, not a "you're dumb" joke.)

So... sorry if this is in poor taste, but current events have gotten me interested in playing a historic (and Kurdish) Yazidi game. (I had an English Yazidi Republic once in a "how weird can I get" game.) Are there any in the game? Is there any good way to find out?

I don't think there's a Yazidi start, but there's some Yazidi land in the 1204 start onwards centered around Kurdistan. You could start with whoever owns that land and convert via descision and capital moving.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Maybe if there were some strict, I dunno, cultural or rank-based maluses along the lines of "no reason to move". Like a Frank would get hefty penalties to inviting people outside the Latin group, or you get refusals due to the candidate not wanting to up sticks and move across Europe to work in some lovely count's court.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

Same reason we are obsessed with Balkan nationalists, their funny.

What is your obsession with our obsession.

This is the same guy that flipped his poo poo when we made jokes about the incestuous "give them a good tumble" event that popped up that could be with close relatives.

Digital Osmosis posted:

:v: I am bad at jokes on the internet sometimes.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
During the stream I assassinated the entire college of Cardinals and the Pope, just because I wanted that achievement. Better use it before we lose it.

Excelzior posted:

C'mon, this is CK2 not EU4.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Maybe if there were some strict, I dunno, cultural or rank-based maluses along the lines of "no reason to move". Like a Frank would get hefty penalties to inviting people outside the Latin group, or you get refusals due to the candidate not wanting to up sticks and move across Europe to work in some lovely count's court.

It would be a nice feature if the AI was capable of using it cleverly. If you keep talented unlanded family members or children around there should be more of a risk of them being stolen away to a foreign court.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Picard Day posted:

It would be a nice feature if the AI was capable of using it cleverly. If you keep talented unlanded family members or children around there should be more of a risk of them being stolen away to a foreign court.

That sounds like a recipe for more KARLINGS! :argh:

Though for non-close family members it could mean the talented are up for purchase by anyone who can afford the bribing moving fee. Though I don't know if that happened much in those days. I know in the renaissance it happened a bunch with talented architects and artists just moving all over the place, but the medieval era? That I don't know.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did they say a date on that stream? I passed out half way in.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I want to play some CK2 multiplayer, is there a goon community for that?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Orv posted:

Did they say a date on that stream? I passed out half way in.

I didn't hear one, no.

And I know I'm the only one that cares, but I answered my own question on the unification of Pictavia: around 685 or so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Not if the AI uses it too.

Its pretty disappointing when you have jobs and titles to give away and is in need of capable people for your court and still the only thing you can offer for then to come is a small bribe.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a decently up-to-date Let's Play that guides you through the systems of this game? I booted up CK2 once, had a minor heart attack at all the windows/buttons/options, and haven't been back since. The OP says Kersch's LP is somewhat dated, and that was posted well over a year ago.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Exioce posted:

Is there a decently up-to-date Let's Play that guides you through the systems of this game? I booted up CK2 once, had a minor heart attack at all the windows/buttons/options, and haven't been back since. The OP says Kersch's LP is somewhat dated, and that was posted well over a year ago.

Try that one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Exioce posted:

Go read some of these.
Edit: :smug:

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 29, 2014

• Locked thread