Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of...

Spy vs. Spy

Don Martin Dept.

The MAD Book of Revenge

Hey Look!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Tyke "Strong Bad" Mason

Oh, Brother

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Humanoid Female posted:

I love how "this is my uncle's clinic" and "he's a prominent surgeon" somehow automatically mean he doesn't help the poor. In a perfect world, this setup would lead to the uncle turning out to be a prominent surgeon with a city clinic who helps the urban poor right there in the city, and he will kick seven kinds of poo poo out of Rosa and Gunther by pointing out that their altruism is really just a typical suburban rear end in a top hat's dream of being the Great White Savior to exotic jungle savages and look cool to their friends.

No, I'm wrong, in a perfect world this comic wouldn't even exist.

I don't think altruism was ever part of either of their motivations. Rosa seems to be looking for an adventure while Gunther is just trying to hold onto Rosa. It's just two spoiled American teenagers on a lark before they go off to loving Yale.
How many hats does Sluggo carry around with him?
F Minus

Mary Worth

Seriously, one of these two should know better than to talk so openly about this. Someone has died. There has to be tons of liability issues and poo poo here.

Rex Morgan MD

Speaking of Rexpressions, this looks a little like his "Dirty Harry" look.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

And we all know there's absolutely no room for kindess, charity, or altruism in the shallow world of plastic surgery. The only people who would ever want nose or boob jobs are wealthy snooty Tiff-style socialites! Rosa's uncle chose a selfish branch of surgery and he must be a Bad Person.

Apartment 3-G

Yeah, I'm sure we can all relate with how emotionless and robotic computer people are.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Dick Tracy

You can tell it's a government office because the employee is loafing with his feet up. Geez.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

And we all know there's absolutely no room for kindess, charity, or altruism in the shallow world of plastic surgery. The only people who would ever want nose or boob jobs are wealthy snooty Tiff-style socialites! Rosa's uncle chose a selfish branch of surgery and he must be a Bad Person.

Rosa is going to make a stink about it and then it'll turn out that her uncle uses the money he makes off of boob jobs to give free surgery to underprivileged kids with cleft pallets or something.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure where I was going with this, I just love that Loweezy face.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Alterian posted:

Rosa is going to make a stink about it and then it'll turn out that her uncle uses the money he makes off of boob jobs to give free surgery to underprivileged kids with cleft pallets or something.

What I love is how it's pretty clearly implied that neither of these two idiots even know what the hell this uncle did other than 'clinic in another country'. It's not just Gunther either.

I wonder if the end of this story arc is going to be 'Uh, oh poo poo, I wonder if I can still get into that university that accepted me, because when I asked to help out at the clinic the uncle just asked me to hand out fliers'.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mustache Villainy posted:

Not sure where I was going with this, I just love that Loweezy face.

I read it like this. It was the only way I could make that face fit.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Thermal lance you say? Good thing he's experienced with them!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nemi avatar anyone?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Read with extremely sarcastic voice.

(I don't think that's Peter's hand)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sometimes I worry that I post too much comics. But I guess I can share this, since I only have a handful.

This was a short-lived comic strip that ran in the 1980s, called "Rudy". It's about a talking monkey who used to be a big movie star, only he's now a has-been. The strip chronicled him trying to make a comeback.

I only heard about this strip recently. A cartoonist/animator I'm friends with told me about it, saying that he considers this to be the last comic strip he truly liked, only to disappear after couple of years. I decided to look it up, and sure enough somebody scanned a bunch of strips:

Does anybody remember this strip?

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2014

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bleeker: Why mothers go gray.

Pickles: Tssst!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

don Jaime posted:

:stonk: Is this an edit?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I don't understand how a thermal lance is supposed to help them out of this situation.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh my god that Bleeker comic isn't an edit :magical: Bleeker just ran a comic about Skip licking a used condom

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mister Beeg posted:

Does anybody remember this strip?

I do. The decline of the comics page was in full swing at the time and suddenly there's this well-drawn, reasonably funny strip out of nowhere. I really liked it, and was sorry to see it end.

In fact, I almost started posting it here at one point, but you know…

Seeing it now it's not quite as good as I remember, but I still wouldn't mind reading through it again. I think there was a collection published at one point, god knows if it's findable tho.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand how a thermal lance is supposed to help them out of this situation.
Willie's in scuba gear and headed for their boat, and I'm guessing it's pretty hard to fire a machine gun when you don't have somewhere to stand. And maybe in the world of Modesty Blaise (or Inspector Danger, for that matter), it's just a fact that no mafiosi can swim?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Bimmi posted:

I do. The decline of the comics page was in full swing at the time and suddenly there's this well-drawn, reasonably funny strip out of nowhere. I really liked it, and was sorry to see it end.

Heh, the said cartoonist friend mentioned told me the same thing. He groused at the quality of newspaper strips at the time through present (he felt "Bloom County" was too ugly), so he was happy to see this strip pop up. Like you, he was sad to see it go after a short time.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Beeg posted:

Sometimes I worry that I post too much comics.

I know the rule is :justpost:, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't post a wall of Mad comix three times per page. The art is ugly, the "jokes" are offensive and Spy vs. Spy is just the worst thing in existence. At this point I'm even looking forward to reading Mike du Jour because at least it's something different and it just makes me angry, not nauseous.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
We've have this discussion a shitton of times, and the answer is No.

Just scroll past. If it -really- bothers you, put me in the block list.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 29, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Beeg posted:

Few days ago I purchaed "MAD About Comic Strips". It's a book reprinting newspaper comics parodies that MAD did over the years, from the beginning to early 2000s (the book came out in 2003). Naturally it's full of stuff that this thread'll love.

Here's one I scanned. Originally ran in MAD #326, March-April 1994:

Hey, you know what's really funny? Rape, apparently. :stare:

don Jaime posted:

Is licking slugs a thing that people do? :psyduck:

Mister Beeg posted:

We've have this discussion a shitton of times, and the answer is No. Just scroll past.
I agree that the "what is appropriate to post" discussion is tedious and I do just scroll past, but honestly, the thread is supposed to be for newspaper comics and Mad Magazine is not newspaper comics. And you do post a lot.

Arctic Circle

What? No it isn't. :argh:

BC

OK, so he tells a bad joke and the woman leaves, but what the hell does panel three mean? Don Draper? What does being nervous have to do with it?

Beetle Bailey

Blondie

That is just a terrible idea.

Ginger Meggs

I don't recognise that Batman villain. :shrug:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Tiggum posted:

I agree that the "what is appropriate to post" discussion is tedious

Seriously, it got to the point that I enjoy the politoons thread better. It was part of why I stopped posting here for few months.

MAD stays.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 29, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Is licking slugs a thing that people do? :psyduck:

Sure. There's a certain kind of person who likes to be able to brag to his/her buddies about having done such a thing. A friend of mine licked a banana slug once. It was gross. She said it made her mouth go numb.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I like MAD comics and I don't mind them staying. They make up for stuff like Judge Parker, Mike Du Jour, Intelligent Life, Luann, anything by Brooke, and so on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you think Spy vs Spy is the worst comic strip, then you should be glad I'm on holiday and can't get into my imgur account.

Although that doesn't excuse Beeg's politoon hyperbole.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Casull posted:

I like MAD comics and I don't mind them staying. They make up for stuff like Judge Parker, Mike Du Jour, Intelligent Life, Luann, anything by Brooke, and so on.

Same.

And they are now posting the exactly same ones I read back in the day, so it's nostalgic to read them again. Some stuff has lost its charm, but Sergio Aragones is still as good as it was back then.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_It

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Beetle Bailey

Russian roulette?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

BC

OK, so he tells a bad joke and the woman leaves, but what the hell does panel three mean? Don Draper? What does being nervous have to do with it?
(red-and-rover) Clumsy is trying to chat up the blonde cavegirl, but he gets nervous and confused and blows it. The other caveman (Peter, I think?) sarcastically calls him Don Draper, the handsome womanizing main character on "Mad Men." (/red-and-rover)

Tiggum posted:

Beetle Bailey
I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't a sneaky edit. Look at that second panel, just look at it! Usually they go for a heavy-lidded look of depression whenever the general or his wife suggests sex, but this time, it's pure loving terror. The amount of sexual menace in her voice must be overwhelming the poor old guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, are we having the "I've lost perspective and no longer know what a bad comic is" discussion? Okay. Right, boys, roll 'er in!

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Mister Beeg posted:

The Lighter Side of...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I have to jump on the "keep posting MAD Mister Beeg" bandwagon. I enjoy them, but yes I am also guilty of scrolling past a wall of them every now and then just because I'm in a hurry. And, contrary to other opinions here, I really like "Berg's Eye View". Although, I've always had a soft spot for one-liners.

And (I know we're pretty much done with the story arc), I keep mentally inserting Kaputnik's visage every time Dr. Kaphut's name is mentioned in Mary Worth. :v:

Jane's World

Wait, who's Rick? And, I'm taking it he's gay?

Non Sequitur

Liberry? I still have a set of hard copy encyclopedias I bought when my oldest was a baby. Yeah, no substitute for decent internet research, and they're dated, but still, if you're researching Moby Dick or something, they pretty much still apply.

Heavenly Nostrils

I wish that if she was going to do reruns it would have been something from long ago rather than this arc which seems to be to be so recent.

Kliban

:stare: Yep, dude's totally stoned.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/29/2003

Whatever. Dumb.

Zits

I'd say the noise from the milk foamer would probably attract some attention too.

Kevin & Kell

I don't know :wtf:.

I gut laughed at "Is it buzzing?". This is a pretty cool embodiment of Nemi, and is one of the reasons I really like the strip. She's just a spazzy, happy little kid with millions of inane questions... :3:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm with Mr. Beeg. You don't like reading actual content in the comic thread? Then scroll on by or don't loving read it. Don't loving scare off one of the few contributors that brings NEW and GOOD and INTERESTING content to the loving thread.

Or here's an idea: find and post your own strips! Or an even better one: make edits and post them! Like R Ubbish! Or Borden! Or like Tiistai started out doing and is now a regular contributor of weird rear end awesome strips!

Christ on a god drat crutch, loving goons I swear.

Here's your god drat Cul-de-sac

Your hysterical loving Creeps

Your Annoying Poptropica

and your bizarre motherfucking Heathcliff Hallelujia, holy poo poo, where's the tylenol?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

RandomPauI posted:

Cut a hole in the other ship and scuttle it? Or cut a hole in the hull above the waterline and Willie will go rescue Jane while Modesty keeps the thugs distracted? Not sure myself, but I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arelon posted:

I know the rule is :justpost:, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't post a wall of Mad comix three times per page. The art is ugly, the "jokes" are offensive and Spy vs. Spy is just the worst thing in existence. At this point I'm even looking forward to reading Mike du Jour because at least it's something different and it just makes me angry, not nauseous.

Put him on ignore, let the rest of us enjoy MAD.

• Locked thread