Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Black Flag question, it's an amazing game so far and I've only been in the first city, but why exactly am I chasing down and stealing (with occasional kill) from these couriers?

Are they just basic tax collector people or something? Banker couriers?

How does Kenway even know to steal from these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the new fighting game goons say is really good?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

What's the new fighting game goons say is really good?

lethal league.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

So what happens if rather then adopt the correct policies, Valve/EA/Uplay just pull out of Australia and tell them to go gently caress themselves?

Would Aussies basically be totally hosed and unable to play PC games anymore? Everything goes through one of those services now, so I can't imagine they've have much to play.

It won't happen, and I'm not trying to push that. I just suddenly had the "yeah but what if they just leave thought" and realized what is the alternative? What if Valve views Australia as not worth their time, and cut's Aussies off from buying new games/using the service for more then playing what they already paid for? You obviously can't force companies to sell products in your area, but the only boxed PC games these days require on of those three services, and indies/smaller games won't box up just for Australia with the import/export costs.

Is there any precedent for a situation like that? Where a product could only be purchased through a few specific avenues, those avenues skirted the law to maximize profits in a low profit region, the law caught them, and they entirely removed the product from circulation because it stopped being worth it for them? I really want to see the economics history of stuff like that now.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jazzpunk is awful try-hard garbage for idiots.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Jazzpunk is awful try-hard garbage for idiots.

lik u av

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Drifter posted:

Black Flag question, it's an amazing game so far and I've only been in the first city, but why exactly am I chasing down and stealing (with occasional kill) from these couriers?

He is a pirate. :v:. Pretty sure he has a reputation of some sorts. It's the reason why he puts up that hoodie, even though that doesn't really provide too much disguise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drifter posted:

Lichdom:Battlemage

It's like Dark Messiah, but with Magic instead of kicking or something.

Thanks! This game looks pretty cool, anyone think it's worth the forty bones?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Drifter posted:

They're people who run from Edward and are good at parkour so that ignites his fiery urge to tackle.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Rookersh posted:

So what happens if rather then adopt the correct policies, Valve/EA/Uplay just pull out of Australia and tell them to go gently caress themselves?

Would Aussies basically be totally hosed and unable to play PC games anymore? Everything goes through one of those services now, so I can't imagine they've have much to play.

It won't happen, and I'm not trying to push that. I just suddenly had the "yeah but what if they just leave thought" and realized what is the alternative? What if Valve views Australia as not worth their time, and cut's Aussies off from buying new games/using the service for more then playing what they already paid for? You obviously can't force companies to sell products in your area, but the only boxed PC games these days require on of those three services, and indies/smaller games won't box up just for Australia with the import/export costs.

Is there any precedent for a situation like that? Where a product could only be purchased through a few specific avenues, those avenues skirted the law to maximize profits in a low profit region, the law caught them, and they entirely removed the product from circulation because it stopped being worth it for them? I really want to see the economics history of stuff like that now.
Netflix *technically* isn't available in Australia and yet people still subscribe to it.

PantsBandit posted:

They're people who run from Edward and are good at parkour so that ignites his fiery urge to tackle.
The dog just wants to chase the car.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

your username is literally based on a reddit meme

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rookersh posted:

Interesting thought, but you're right in that it's highly unlikely that Valve would pull out of Aus altogether. I'm sure I saw a chart somewhere that said that Aus / NZ made up 5% of Steam customers, so one of the smaller markets but still a moneymaker. Hypothetical Australian response to Valve pulling out would be to pirate the games and use VPN's. Australia's famous for pirating digital content because prices are so high and it used to be that stuff was seriously delayed getting here so everyone got pissed off waiting. TV stations are better at that now and stuff gets aired straight away so TV pirating rates are dropping I think.
Disclaimer: I'm not an Australian, I've only lived here a couple years so another Aussie could give a better and more in depth answer!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Also Australia is an awful country.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

*looks at Ferguson*

Yep.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Name one country that isn't awful.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The one with all the fine bitches

and low cost PC games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Helith posted:

Interesting thought, but you're right in that it's highly unlikely that Valve would pull out of Aus altogether. I'm sure I saw a chart somewhere that said that Aus / NZ made up 5% of Steam customers, so one of the smaller markets but still a moneymaker. Hypothetical Australian response to Valve pulling out would be to pirate the games and use VPN's. Australia's famous for pirating digital content because prices are so high and it used to be that stuff was seriously delayed getting here so everyone got pissed off waiting. TV stations are better at that now and stuff gets aired straight away so TV pirating rates are dropping I think.
Disclaimer: I'm not an Australian, I've only lived here a couple years so another Aussie could give a better and more in depth answer!

Nah, that about sums it up. The only thing of note is that when we do buy games legitimately, they tend to be imported from the UK to A; get them quicker, and B; get them about $30-40 cheaper.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
VBC's world-famous streak of bad posts continues

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Drifter posted:

Just accept that you are (playing) a rum-addled man-child, so anything that looks like a challenge will be perceived as such. If you could tip cows (rather than pet them - seriously, try this with all domesticated animals you cross) I guarantee it would be a mini-game, because piratical roguish reasons.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

and low cost PC games
Brazil?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

*looks at Ferguson*

Yep.

The only time Australia is relevant to make the news:

1) When they're kissing the rear end of a better country
2) When their racist president says something dumb

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

and low cost PC games

Poland?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Scratch-O posted:

VBC's world-famous streak of bad posts continues

It's really pretty impressive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

GRID was awesome. It let you choose your name from a bigass list of names, and then the voice actors would call you by that name. I thought for sure other games would do that, but none ever did.
Oh my god, I won GRID 2 in the SA Christmas Contests, I am installing this poo poo right now because it sounds completely stupid and so, so great.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

canada because they will happily elect a great man to political office as long as he throws down and beats his shitbag neocon opponent in a sanctioned boxing match

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 29, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well I guess Brazil have been routed by Germany more recently than Poland

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Germany is an awesome country, unlike Australia.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Rookersh posted:

It's worth mentioning that EA already has a refund policy like they're asking for in place, specifically designed around the idea that games might be broken at launch. It's one of the few things Origin does significantly better than steam.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

They only make it look that way to keep idiots like you the gently caress away! (because Aus has enough of it's own idiots which unfortunately seem to include most of the government)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, that about sums it up. The only thing of note is that when we do buy games legitimately, they tend to be imported from the UK to A; get them quicker, and B; get them about $30-40 cheaper.

That's why I use the UK steam store, cos drat, are Aussie prices high but the UK one can be bad compared to US as well.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lance Streetman posted:

It's worth mentioning that EA already has a refund policy like they're asking for in place, specifically designed around the idea that games might be broken at launch. It's one of the few things Origin does significantly better than steam.

Origin also has great customer service unlike Valve. I asked if they could add an old rear end game to my account and they did it without hesitation. Even gave me a free game for my trouble.

Helith posted:

They only make it look that way to keep idiots like you the gently caress away! (because Aus has enough of it's own idiots which unfortunately seem to include most of the government)

Pretty sure Australia's xenophobia does that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Deadly Hume posted:

Netflix *technically* isn't available in Australia and yet people still subscribe to it.

I've tried to use VPNs to access Steam and it's sort of a pain - a lot harder than popping Hola on Netflix, that's for sure.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Helith posted:

Australia's famous for pirating digital content because prices are so high and it used to be that stuff was seriously delayed getting here so everyone got pissed off waiting. TV stations are better at that now and stuff gets aired straight away so TV pirating rates are dropping I think.

Nah that's basically it, for the most part. Terrible prices and terrible waiting periods before games and shows (evenly DD games like on Steam, half the time :suicide:) has pushed a lot of people to illegally downloading games/shows/movies. Thankfully it is getting a bit better!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Hey - only our politicians are awful. (also, we have a prime minister, not a president :ssh:) Why, where are you from? Also, after reading your latest posts, what on Earth is your problem with Australia? Did an Australian hurt your feelings one time, or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Major Isoor posted:

Also, after reading your latest posts, what on Earth is your problem with Australia? Did an Australian hurt your feelings one time, or something?

He's a shitposter who has gone off the deep-end, that's about it really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Australia is where all the giant loving poisonous spiders and snakes live and any humans who can survive there are obviously in collusion with said spiders and snakes. :colbert:

first time this joke has ever been made

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Go play some japanese MMOs about it anime avatar

Ciaphas posted:

Australia is where all the giant loving poisonous spiders and snakes live and any humans who can survive there are obviously in collusion with said spiders and snakes. :colbert:

first time this joke has ever been made

Its actually one of the most boring countries in the world

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Australia is the land of deserts and mineral wealth.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

He used to be decent at shitposting, it's sad to see him devolve to such a state.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

:qq:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its actually one of the most boring countries in the world

More cringe worthy than the dudes who dickfight about having spent more money on Steam than other people.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

~farts~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You should post your dick.

• Locked thread