Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Going into NG+2 soon, gonna try the no bonfire / no death dual run. Anybody have any decent tips beside attune my spells before I go?

Edit: Oh, and be offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Hollow Skin, the ugliest headgear in the game but it gives you 1000 curse resist and apparently gives a Guidance effect as well.

You mean the most beautiful. :byodame:

Also, don't remember who it was (or if it was in this or the console thread) but I just beat Fume Knight with my Armstrong character, and I had no trouble hitting him with my fists. Just gotta aim for his legs and you'll make every hit.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Strategies for dealing with the DLC room with multiple enemies and the giant: I used Yearn. You can use to keep them busy while you stake the idol, after which I managed to kill them all but you could conceivably use it to distract them while you open the door as well. After that, if you want to clear the room just for the hell of it, it's much, much easier to approach it from outside the large doors, going backwards.

If you really hate having to waste the relatively minimal stat requirements for the utility sorceries, it stands to reason that Alluring Skulls might work. I've never actually used them though, so I dunno.

Strategies for the approach to Velstadt: you can pull the knights two at a time if you approach cautiously, and should never need to fight knights and ghosts at the same time. If two knights is still a big problem, try a spear and some patience, but what I like is to use the Great Club or something else that flattens people on the strong attack. Having the strength to two-hand one of those weapons shouldn't be a big deal if you're following the One True Playstyle of melee builds. Just bait a knight into attacking, pancake him, dodge away from his irate companion, rinse, repeat. Works great on the ghosts too. Just be sure to play around with it a bit to get used to it first, you've got to be careful about accidentally attacking in the wrong direction with really heavy weapons.

Incidentally, the Dragon Tooth was my 'gently caress this, gently caress you' solution to the assassin phantom in the DLC, too. Works great on any NPC invader. I stunlocked Jester Thomas to death with it as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Your Computer posted:

Since the thread seems okay with spoilers now, I wanted to post this again since I didn't get any response last time :downs:

The inclusion of this item is proof that this is the best DLC Dark Souls has ever seen. :allears:

Your character name wouldn't happen to be Priscilla, would it?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
here is how i dealt with that big fucker in the dlc

:twisted:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

here is how i dealt with that big fucker in the dlc

:twisted:

I ran back and watched as he promptly fell off the chain.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOWTQYjc1dI

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Why would you use Soul Appease against Vendrick? :psyduck:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Why would you use Soul Appease against Vendrick? :psyduck:

he's a hollow

Like if there's one single point in the game where it would make sense to use Soul Appease, it would be here, but unfortunately, it's terrible. rip.

THE PENETRATOR fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 29, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

he's a hollow

Like if there's one single point in the game where it would make sense to use Soul Appease, it would be here, but unfortunately, it's terrible. rip.

Congregation, the groups of exploding guys in the Bastille, most things in Shrine of Amana and the Forest, etc. It's not a direct damage spell, it's for nuking groups of hollows. It also hits through walls so you can do some mean things as an invader. Besides, you want to have sustained DPS against Vendrick, not slow-casting burst spells.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Artificer posted:

I tried this but couldn't get him to follow me on to the chain.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

If there's one section that's still total horseshit the second time through it's the gutter

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If there's one section that's still total horseshit the second time through it's the gutter

Can't you basically skip the gutter by sprinting through naked with the reduced fall damage ring equipped?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Congregation, the groups of exploding guys in the Bastille, most things in Shrine of Amana and the Forest, etc. It's not a direct damage spell, it's for nuking groups of hollows. It also hits through walls so you can do some mean things as an invader. Besides, you want to have sustained DPS against Vendrick, not slow-casting burst spells.

like i said, it's worthless
only the Congregation fight it could see use but even in NG11 you can hit all of the things in there with a sword like 4 times and you win

THE PENETRATOR fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 29, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alabaster White posted:

Congregation, the groups of exploding guys in the Bastille, most things in Shrine of Amana and the Forest, etc.
Also against the RRV.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Can't you basically skip the gutter by sprinting through naked with the reduced fall damage ring equipped?

You have to know where you're going for that to work

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Gutter is really simple if you don't care about the items (and most of the items in the Gutter are worthless). It's even easier if you have a torch at all times because the only tough enemy in the entire area are the poison statues and the dog and those are like baby cakes compared to DS1's equivalent which were designed solely to be rear end in a top hat pricks of frustration.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Invading in the Old Iron King's memory is an absolute blast. Half the time there's the host plus 2 phantoms but there's fire lizard fireballs everywhere and Alonne Knights swinging their katanas every which way and it's just chaos. Love it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Where is that hollow skin mask anyways? I must be missing an illusionary wall somewhere

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

Where is that hollow skin mask anyways? I must be missing an illusionary wall somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yptNGJ6fg

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How many illusory walls are there in this DLC?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Azran posted:

2 or 3 that i've found.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I'm in the middle of thinking up a script to block name-editing crashes.

In doing so, I have found that From allowed a set of totally arbitrary characters show up perfectly in names even though by all rights they shouldn't. They won't let you put a TM character in though, which would actually be funny.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azran posted:

Only a couple, but there are several destroyable walls that you need to lure a barrel guy towards to blast open.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Your character name wouldn't happen to be Priscilla, would it?

Nah, I haven't run around like that.... yet. :getin:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Majestic Sword Spin To Win is so good now that it actually hits twice unlike DS1 version. The DPS is through the roof and its definitely top 5 for moves in PVE. The super long range special jump still isn't that great again but the powerstance hyper flip jump is decent.

ARTORIAS

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do you get that rolling ring anyway?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RBA Starblade posted:

Where do you get that rolling ring anyway?

From the second bonfire, go into the room with the revolving fire-spewing bull statue and the two archers, then go into the rightmost door and keep going. It should be on a ledge outside IIRC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azran posted:

From the second bonfire, go into the room with the revolving fire-spewing bull statue and the two archers, then go into the rightmost door and keep going. It should be on a ledge outside IIRC.

Thanks!

e: Things I learned today: The majestic greatsword is great in pvp. The fume sword is great in pvp.

e: You can guard break the Fume Sword's block-attack to interrupt it. With your fists. :v:

I don't miss using magic in pvp at all. Too much effort. I still have about a fifty or sixty percent win rate but it's just so much easier to swing a sword around then try and trick people into wandering into your spells with ever more complicated patterns only for them to just stab you in the face.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 29, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a Desert Sorceresses top they can give me? I got every other piece of the set and the only sorceress left is that one across the jump I have never made. 750k souls.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I read that they patched out the Bandit's Greataxe to not power stance a super fast moveset. Were the other small Greataxes affected as well?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tae posted:

So I read that they patched out the Bandit's Greataxe to not power stance a super fast moveset. Were the other small Greataxes affected as well?

I believe all of the greataxes that gave the short sword powerstance were fixed.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
This dragon at the bottom of the first DLC is killing me over and over. Is there a trick?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd feel guilty about ganking dickheads in the Drangleic armour if they weren't always summoning me when they have a Sunset Staff hexer with them. :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Crimson Harvest posted:

This dragon at the bottom of the first DLC is killing me over and over. Is there a trick?

None. It's a high mobility fight, you need to bide your time before striking and learn his attacks. It's best to attack from the side, approaching from the front is a bad idea unless you can roll through his swipe. When on low health he can breathe below him and it will cover the whole immediate area around the dragon including his back, so don't stay near. Other than than, run away when goes in the air and watch if he's going for a fly-by or a fireball, but always run towards him but not directly below him because he will land on top of you. Also unlike Guardian Dragons in the vanilla game you can't run through his wings and he will shield his body with them so remember to always run around.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjKIacU1PkM&hd=1

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 29, 2014

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

shoot him with sorcery

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
The DLC katana is amazing. I'm a mediocre PvPer, but I won about 10 matches straight yesterday. Even twitchy fuckers aren't prepared for its reach and damage.

Artificer posted:

I had fun with the spirit who invades as you're descending the ladder in the tower - I just went back up and waited at the top with my lance. When she had just about finished the animation for getting off the top of the ladder, I charged and she fell to the bottom, dying immediately.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I think I hosed up my run. I have 10 Nadia souls, no wedges left, and one Nadia soul remains and that's beside the Fume Knight. I literally can't damage him fast enough to counteract the healing, am I hosed?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tae posted:

So I think I hosed up my run. I have 10 Nadia souls, no wedges left, and one Nadia soul remains and that's beside the Fume Knight. I literally can't damage him fast enough to counteract the healing, am I hosed?

Just keep him away from that corner and you'll be fine. I did the same thing and honestly it didn't effect the fight much; those idols area of effect is actually shorter than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Sad Rhino posted:

The DLC katana is amazing. I'm a mediocre PvPer, but I won about 10 matches straight yesterday. Even twitchy fuckers aren't prepared for its reach and damage.

I'm with you on that. I've gotten two characters through the DLC and I can't stop using that katana. I didn't even like katanas to begin with!

Majestic Greatsword Users: How do you make it work in your favor for pvp? I have better luck baiting people into the jump that don't expect it, but every part of the moveset is sooo slow. If I end up using a fast mainhand weapon I just end up using it the whole fight instead of the powerstance swings. Also you can't stab yourself to death after killing another player like the dlc katana. :sigh: