Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grand Fromage posted:

I read the OP. :argh: It's over a year old, that's forever in Asia years.

Rawr. I keep that poo poo pretty up to date. Unicom is the goto for data because it supports world wide 3G standards. China Mobile has much better coverage but you'll only get 2G data.

Since goons are so goony it's obvious you need data over coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got Unicom today after like five hours of going between stores and the usual nonsense. I literally only use data so I wasn't doing that 2G noise.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ceciltron posted:

I'm looking to have about 3 grand (canadabux) (after airfare) for 2 weeks in China -about a third of which will be in Hong Kong. Is that sufficient?

Wait, you lived here. Are you factoring in lawyer costs?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Wait, you lived here. Are you factoring in lawyer costs?
Precisely! I need to know what kind of fees lawyers require in the unruly southern provinces.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Seriously though, I don't know how big you like to live, and you have a pretty good idea of what China costs, don't you?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Seriously though, I don't know how big you like to live, and you have a pretty good idea of what China costs, don't you?

Yeah, but Hong Kong is a MYSTERY to me. Also hotel costs etc., not entirely certain.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Don't forget to bring gifts from waiguo to give to your old colleagues and bosses

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hong Kong is cheap unless you want to live large. I stayed at a nice hostel for $20 and never spent more than $10 on a meal except for a fancy one I got after winning some cash in Macau.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It can be reasonably cheap or ludicrously, astronomically expensive.

In the end, you'll spend what you have, or less. Because you didn't get yourself stranded in Vietnam (you have return tickets and are able to get to the airport, right?)

I suppose you're asking if you can have fun for cheap in Hong Kong. And the answer is yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

simplefish posted:

It can be reasonably cheap or ludicrously, astronomically expensive.

Yeah this. You certainly can spend thousands of dollars a day there but Hong Kong is fun on any reasonable budget.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Live as the mainlanders do. Stay in a cheap mainlander hotel in Kowloon and blow your money on expensive stuff.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Live as the mainlanders do. Stay in a cheap mainlander hotel in Kowloon and blow your money on expensive stuff.

Also don't eat anything at all, because eating in Hong Kong is expensive. You can eat later, when you leave.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Hong Kong was pretty expensive when I was there, I had Starbucks everyday and that was one of the cheaper things I did while I was in HK.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

goldboilermark posted:

I thought Hong Kong was pretty expensive when I was there, I had Starbucks everyday and that was one of the cheaper things I did while I was in HK.

I think you were Doing It Wrong. What on earth did you do here where a $40HK coffee was cheap?

I get lunch and it's more rice than I can eat and 2 dishes and iced lemon tea for $21HK.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember the coffee being 40, but it seemed like most meals that my buddy and I did were around 50. That's how I live in Tianjin now, though I can go way cheaper if I prefer. We hit a few places to get burgers and beers and those were wicked expensive.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

I don't remember the coffee being 40, but it seemed like most meals that my buddy and I did were around 50. That's how I live in Tianjin now, though I can go way cheaper if I prefer. We hit a few places to get burgers and beers and those were wicked expensive.

You went to SoHo.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

I think you were Doing It Wrong. What on earth did you do here where a $40HK coffee was cheap?

I get lunch and it's more rice than I can eat and 2 dishes and iced lemon tea for $21HK.

HK is cheaper than chengdu. I can barely get lan zhou la mian for 15rmb these days!!!!!!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lan zhou la mian is like 9rmb in tianjin, crazy cheap

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

lan zhou la mian is like 9rmb in tianjin, crazy cheap

well if you get just the plain broth/noodles it's that cheap but i'm talking about somehting with substance cause he said rice+2 sides so I'm more lookin at xinjiang banmian or something

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

I went for lunch in Harbor City yesterday and spent like $700 so it's all about choices you make

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
as long as you make more than 11RMB an hour and come into the country with more than $15HK I Think You Will Be All Right.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Magna Kaser posted:

well if you get just the plain broth/noodles it's that cheap but i'm talking about somehting with substance cause he said rice+2 sides so I'm more lookin at xinjiang banmian or something
Southside price.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
http://www.smartshanghai.com/articles/activities/offbeat-the-mr-x-mystery-house

Holy crap this looks awesome. Who's up for a goon meet over the 10/1 holiday?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Wait.. That link is to the one in Shanghai, there's also one in Beijing. I'll be in Shanghai on the 9th, for one night. I can rustle up maybe two people - we need six. Anybody want to go try the Mr. X Mystery House?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'll be all jet lagged and poo poo but gently caress it, caffeine and cannabinoids work wonders together. Who's up for a Tuesday night of real life video game mystery adventure?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Based on twoish years in Beijing and five trips to Hong Kong, a lot of things in Hong Kong seemed a lot more expensive to me. I might have been in the wrong places though.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

bad day posted:

Holy poo poo I am doing this when we stop in Shanghai/Suzhou in November. gently caress that looks sweet as hell.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

We have those in HK too. I haven't been yet but I want to

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've done it in Chengdu it's fun.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bad day posted:

Mr. X is OK but can be pretty bullshit at times. For instance they'll tell you not to take anything off the walls but one of the rooms requires you to take stuff off the walls and you would never know unless you just started pulling things. Other than that it's an enjoyable time.

Also, I'm pretty sure their mascot is cartoon Himmler.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
spoiler tag that poo poo

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
There's a Mr. X groupon from time to time, I did it once, was ok I guess

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's probably cooler if you are a fan of room escape games.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
i imagine doing things you like is probably a cool thing in general

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hate doing things I like.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

That's because you like doing things you hate.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I pretty much hate everything and everyone, in all seriousness.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

simplefish posted:

We have those in HK too. I haven't been yet but I want to

It's all in Cantonese so you better bring a translator. But you have one.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I will translate for you.

They said yourgay hahahaaah