Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, why do you have to wash the food first? Is your supermarket in the habit of selling food coated in bird poo poo and dirt? Because I think it might be time to find a better store.

Lifehack: Don't shop at places which sell food coated in mud and faeces.

Lifehack: Don't wash clothes after you buy them right off the shelf, why clean them of all of the gross germs of the previous people who undoubtedly tried it on despite it being too small for them when you could be wearing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

Uh, I'm not actually angry. I'm sorry if plain text confuses you. Perhaps you should try a comedy website forums where everything is punctuated with helpful smilies. :)

(I also think you might be missing the point of this thread. :))

Don't get mad about silly little things which clearly aren't meant to be taken seriously. I'm enjoying the thread for the stupid life hacks but man does every single one have to have ten posts saying how stupid it is and how gosh you'd have to be an IDIOT to do that! That's kid of the point of the thread it doesn't need to be constantly pointed out :)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BKPR posted:

please tell me you don't live in the US

I think he's Australian but so am I and ffs I still wash my fruit and vegies before eating/cooking because I'm not a huge fan of gastroenteritis.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lifehack: Worried about germs on your veggies? Just eat cheetos, they come in sealed bags!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

kazil posted:

Lifehack: Worried about germs on your veggies? Just eat cheetos, they come in sealed bags!

Don't forget the chopsticks!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Karma Monkey posted:

Don't forget the chopsticks!

How do you make sure your chopsticks don't have germs on them? :ohdear:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Stalin McHitler posted:

Remember to boil them in your rice cooker first.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stalin McHitler posted:

Something something on the floor something something you animal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pneub posted:

No, you boil them in a coffee pot that was boiled in a rice cooker to sterilize it first.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Pneub posted:

But first clean the rice cooker by nuking it in your microwave with a cup of water and vinegar for 5 minutes. Then use bread clips to label which chopsticks are clean and which are dirty.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Memento posted:

I think he's Australian but so am I and ffs I still wash my fruit and vegies before eating/cooking because I'm not a huge fan of gastroenteritis.
Want an iron stomach? Eat poo poo every day and gain a progressively stronger immunity! Just like eating your boogers! #lifehack

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BKPR posted:

please tell me you don't live in the US

I'm suddenly very glad that I don't :stonk:

I can't imagine living somewhere you can't go and buy a bunch of fruit and not just eat it*. That's hosed up.

* unless you're in the third world or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't imagine living somewhere you can't go and buy a bunch of fruit and not just eat it*. That's hosed up.

Then you probably shouldn't live on Earth.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

As an ex-supermarket employee: wash your fruit. People routinely came into the store and let loose sneezes like crop dusters over the fruit and veg displays, or picked up apples with almost certainly poo poo-caked hands, carefully caressed them, dropped them on the botulism-coated ground and then placed them gently back on the shelf.

ozza has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ozza posted:

As an ex-supermarket employee: wash your fruit. People routinely came into the store and let loose sneezes like crop dusters over the fruit and veg displays, or picked up apples with almost certainly poo poo-caked hands, carefully caressed them, dropped them on the botulism-coated ground and then placed them gently back on the shelf.

I personally fart on every Kiwi I see in my local grocery store.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

eddoghetto posted:

FYI- Amazon has a free download today of "Real Clever Ideas and Solutions" for Kindle. I couldn't be bothered to setup a kindle account or whatever nonsense it required to view it, but it sounds ripe for the picking for this thread.
Mostly seems to be simple stuff that everyone already knows (generic products are cheaper than name brand, etc.). There are some that are just way more effort than they're worth and some that are useful only in unusual circumstances, but nothing that's particularly humourous or bizarre. And there are no pictures, so that's a disappointment.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Improbable Lobster posted:

You must be Australian.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And if the little bastards try to sneak out of their rooms at night, bring out the artillery:

Kids sneaking out in the middle of the night to party?! One weird trick to blow confetti directly into their retina, they scream in pain now but every day is a party when you have joyful particulate floating inside your eye!

Next up: too tired to set your alarm? Hire a homeless man and give him a flashbang, its a green way to start the day!

Spaceman Future! has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Aug 29, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Come on, even if you think the fruit is sparkling clean when it comes into the supermarket it still gets handled by the employees and customers.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

I don't get this one :psyduck:

let a hole rot in the wall above your sink so if it overflows, the water seeps into the wall and doesn't spill all over the floor

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gorilla Salad posted:

You CAN, in the sense that it probably won't kill you. In fact, you can probably go your whole life never washing your fruits/vegetables and never get sick. That doesn't mean it's not gross to not do it. This isn't a matter of being in the US or not. No matter where you live, the fruit at the store has at least some leftover dirt/feces/pesticides on it, and has been handled probably by numerous bare hands, whether from the store employees or from customers moving it around/testing ripeness etc.

So yeah, you can just go buy a bunch of fruit and just eat it without washing it, but some people find that gross, because no matter where you are, your fruit/vegetables are just as dirty as everyone else's. Some people don't care about unknowingly eating a little dirt, some people would rather spend a little extra time to eliminate that possibility from their mind (even though in reality they will undoubtedly miss some and eat it anyway). It's less a health concern and more just personal preferences on hygiene.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Memento posted:

Gastroenteritis is a great way to lose weight fast and to experience first-hand a thrilling fear of imminent death! #lifehax

Also wash your fruits and veggies, dummies. The least offensive story I can come up with is one time, a produce guy at the store I used to work at trimmed down a whole case of cilantro, then went out and stocked apples. All the galas smelled like goddamn cilantro.

Oh, look, a case of fresh mushrooms came in. Let me get to wrapping them up. What's that? The apples need filled again? Right away! :barf:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, why do you have to wash the food first? Is your supermarket in the habit of selling food coated in bird poo poo and dirt? Because I think it might be time to find a better store.

Even if you live in a magical loving place where fruits and veggies are pristinely clean when they reach the grocery store, people get their gross grocery store hands all over that food; also, :laffo:.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

ozza posted:

I used to be a cashier at a grocery store, nothing was as disgusting as the conveyer belt. We were supposed to clean them every hour, but that never loving happened. People would put their fruit directly on a surface that had dripping raw meat on it five minutes ago. Also when the produce guys found a mouldy piece of fruit in a container, then they threw out a mouldy piece of fruit.

On topic: Tired of spilling your coffee every morning? Then don't fill it to the loving brim, you moron #Lifehack

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Counterpoint: Tired of having to go back to the coffee pot again and again? Just buy a bigger cup and fill it to the brim. Starbucks makes coffee cups in truly ghastly sizes so you can be sure your entire head is obscured when you take a sip.

Or, simply take the entire pot back to your desk. Any container is a personal cup if you try hard and believe in yourself.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Coffee not waking you up any more? Save time and be more efficient, just add several grams of Crank and inject the brew directly into your eyeball.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bhodi posted:

Counterpoint: Tired of having to go back to the coffee pot again and again? Just buy a bigger cup and fill it to the brim. Starbucks makes coffee cups in truly ghastly sizes so you can be sure your entire head is obscured when you take a sip.

Or, simply take the entire pot back to your desk. Any container is a personal cup if you try hard and believe in yourself.

:( It was better before.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:( It was better before.
Even good jokes need to be led back behind the woodshed eventually.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

...why is it on a scale? :confused:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DrBouvenstein posted:

...why is it on a scale? :confused:

Maybe they're trying to weigh by difference to optimize the amount of spray to take down a would-be intruder or snake?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

let's not pretend that a snake would not also be an intruder

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
what if you invited the snake in? would the spray still work???

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The container had a false bottom where the user hides their weed. A clever use of the tare function lets you measure the weight. It's a Jurassic Park hack. It wasn't in the lifehack so the nsa won't squeal about it.

Come to think of it, most never get busted again tricks sound like lifehacks.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

What loving processing line do you imagine where the fruits are individually pre-washed for you?

No really, I'm genuinely curious where you think that step would take place.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Schnedwob posted:

what if you invited the snake in? would the spray still work???

No, it's like vampires.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rad Tad posted:

let's not pretend that a snake would not also be an intruder

Only if it's a trouser snake without consent.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only if it's a trouser snake without consent.

if it doubt spray it first anyway

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm Swedish. I just put them up my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

LoonShia posted:

I'm Swedish. I just put them up my rear end.

and every year you ruin family easter