Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My point is it's not like she's that weirdly tall, a 6' person in a movie almost entirely populated by people around or over that height wouldn't make the blocking harder at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A few inches are easy to cheat in camera anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LingcodKilla posted:

I was a little disappointed to find out her hands aren't really that big.

No wonder the Flatos are always so kind to her.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Alternative Gamora and Nebula concept art:

See the rest: http://www.slashfilm.com/unused-nebula-and-gamora-character-designs-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

The artist's twitter (where they were all posted): https://twitter.com/andyparkart/media

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 26, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DrakePegasus posted:

Last night was the premiere of Starlord and Gamora as face characters at Disney's Hollywood Studios, upstaging the films' villains during the park-wide Villains Unleashed party. There was a dance party to the Awesome Mixes.

It was actually pretty neat. I got my photo taken with them, despite it being the worst set up meet and greet I've come across at Disney (they didn't really meet everyone, just the people who managed to push to the front)

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Saw this on a real IMAX screen today, it was beautiful and well worth it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It was actually pretty neat. I got my photo taken with them, despite it being the worst set up meet and greet I've come across at Disney (they didn't really meet everyone, just the people who managed to push to the front)

You should have seen it about 5 years ago when they would still drive Lightning McQueen out, before he had his own spot. Was a madhouse. You literally got 3 seconds for a picture before they were rushing the next kid up. Long line and parents all pissed.

So, this is probably a dumb question, but it was just the characters of Starlord and Gamora and not the actual actors, right? When I first heard they were doing it a couple weeks ago they suggested it was actually Andy from Parks and Rec and Uhura going out there, but that never sounded feasible.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

DFu4ever posted:

The movie version of her character is really nothing like the comic version. It's fine, but the comic version would have been much more entertaining on screen. The character has a much more forceful personality in the books, and almost never comes off as anything less than a badass.

That was the one thing why I felt like she was the weakest part of the movie. I was completely sold she was a badass from when I saw her. Then she was badass in the prison and it was pretty cool, and I was glad that she had a motive. But then after that she cries like she did in Star Trek 2 when Quill gets punched, and cries about how people might die because of Ronan. Yo, you're an assassin, deliver that line like it's a fact and a mission to stop, instead of being emotional and whining all of a sudden and doing a 180. When Nebula tells her she hates her the least of all their spouses, it's still delivered like a bad-rear end assassin. Or with the escape pods scene, like you couldn't come up with a plan or have just been forced out to space? Why did she have to rely on Quill? She was still a badass, but I just didn't like how they switched her up halfway through. Or maybe thats how that actress delivers lines, I dont know.

Either way, the movie was still great, looked amazing and it goes free at my base this weekend. :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She wasn't just a badass though? That was the point?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

euphronius posted:

She wasn't just a badass though? That was the point?
But she is specifically not even part badass. Nobody is saying she should be pure badass, but if she is setup to be one of the most dangerous beings in the galaxy, it could be demonstrated at least once. Quill is setup to be a joke, and comes across as more competent than her.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She like totally took out half a super max prison and then successfully took out Nebula and earlier almost escaped from Nebula and Ronan in a mining cart.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

She like totally took out half a super max prison and then successfully took out Nebula and earlier almost escaped from Nebula and Ronan in a mining cart.
She also got held captive by common mooks not once but twice. I liked Gamora beating the poo poo out of Peter Quill in the beginning but once we reach the prison everything falls apart. She's Gamora, interstellar assassin, hand of Thanos, and one of the baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy, and within minutes of screentime of getting thrown behind bars she's being held hostage by a couple of chumps with shivs.

It's a problem of execution. If Gamora was the ultimate badass were were led to expect then we should see a "I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with ME" situation. Quill frantically throws himself not to keep the superassassin from getting her throat slit, but rather to keep her from killing so many people that the guards get involved. Instead the way the scene is shot, and Saldana acts, she's portrayed as being in legitimate danger from Joe Mook that White Male Hero must rescue her from.

And as for the Ravagers, they could have had a lot more guns pointed at her, or at Quill, to guarantee her good behavior. Instead it looks like she has a bad case of the Standard Female Grab Area.

And her getting shot down and damseled (and that really stupid softly-shot scene of her drifting through space in a really sexualized manner) was just terrible.

I'm not a fan of Zoe Saldana as a badass (between this and Colombiana), and I also hated that she was the unfunny "Standard Sitcom No-Fun Wife" of the group. I thought Dave Bautista did a better acting job here than she did, which is kinda sad.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Even before the Kyln, she does nothing to distinguish herself when stealing the orb from Quill. Her master plan is grab it from his hands and run away in a straight line. She then gets easily apprehended by the Nova Corps after a lengthy back and forth with the other heroes - This scene being immediately preceded by a line of dialogue stating that she has never failed a mission.

I'm not even saying she isn't formidable - I am just saying the movie goes to considerable lengths to tell us how dangerous she is - "anybody who's anybody knows who you are" an entire prison hating her because of her bloody past, etc. Yet she seems like the least dangerous of the group.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Even before the Kyln, she does nothing to distinguish herself when stealing the orb from Quill. Her master plan is grab it from his hands and run away in a straight line. She then gets easily apprehended by the Nova Corps after a lengthy back and forth with the other heroes - This scene being immediately preceded by a line of dialogue stating that she has never failed a mission.

I'm not even saying she isn't formidable - I am just saying the movie goes to considerable lengths to tell us how dangerous she is - "anybody who's anybody knows who you are" an entire prison hating her because of her bloody past, etc. Yet she seems like the least dangerous of the group.

To be fair, if it weren't for Rocket and Groot getting involved, that's about all the planning that was needed to steal that thing from Quill.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Also considering that her 'mission' for Ronan was to steal the orb for HIM, which she quickly makes it clear she isn't going to give it to him, it becomes apparent that her *actual* mission is 'Don't let Thanos get the orb' - in which she ultimately succeeds.

Still got a perfect record of non-failed missions. :smugdog:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just saw it this afternoon, loved it, but have a quick question that maybe I missed skimming the thread. What was with the glop that Ronan was in during his introduction scene? Just something to make audiences go "Ok, this dude's hosed up."?

Also, the Black Aster has to be one of the most loving sinister looking spaceships I've ever scene.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just saw it this afternoon, loved it, but have a quick question that maybe I missed skimming the thread. What was with the glop that Ronan was in during his introduction scene? Just something to make audiences go "Ok, this dude's hosed up."?

Also, the Black Aster has to be one of the most loving sinister looking spaceships I've ever scene.

The blood of his enemies. When he hammers the Nova dudes Noggin, you see blood oozing back towards his personal sleeping pit.

In other words: :black101:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Mars4523 posted:

She's Gamora, interstellar assassin, hand of Thanos, and one of the baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy, and within minutes of screentime of getting thrown behind bars she's being held hostage by a couple of chumps with shivs.

But she doesn't want to be either of those things. An important reason that Gamora comes off as less deadly than her reputation implies is that she's trying to be, well, less deadly. She doesn't just want to escape Thanos, she wants to escape what he made her be.

On Xandar, she knocks the orb out of Peter's hand (and/or nicks him slightly to make him drop it) while he's sprinting away, by throwing a knife, at an angle, over a distance of 50+ feet. She's strong enough to chop Groot's arms off in about ten seconds. It's pretty clear that if she wanted people dead, they'd be dead. But she never tries to kill Peter to get the orb, and later on, when she disarms the prisoners threatening her (and she does very easily take their shivs away from them), she doesn't kill them, either.

When Gamora first walks through the prison yard and sits in her cell, she's not intimidated by how many enemies she's made. She's ashamed of how many people she's killed.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

a cock shaped fruit posted:

The blood of his enemies. When he hammers the Nova dudes Noggin, you see blood oozing back towards his personal sleeping pit.

In other words: :black101:

I must have missed the implication. And yes, that is extremely :black101:

And I do wish Nebula had gotten a bit more characterization, but that's in part due to :swoon:Karen Gillan:swoon:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I respect anyone with enough balls to build a spaceship out of concrete and rebar.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cheston posted:

But she doesn't want to be either of those things. An important reason that Gamora comes off as less deadly than her reputation implies is that she's trying to be, well, less deadly. She doesn't just want to escape Thanos, she wants to escape what he made her be.

On Xandar, she knocks the orb out of Peter's hand (and/or nicks him slightly to make him drop it) while he's sprinting away, by throwing a knife, at an angle, over a distance of 50+ feet. She's strong enough to chop Groot's arms off in about ten seconds. It's pretty clear that if she wanted people dead, they'd be dead. But she never tries to kill Peter to get the orb, and later on, when she disarms the prisoners threatening her (and she does very easily take their shivs away from them), she doesn't kill them, either.

When Gamora first walks through the prison yard and sits in her cell, she's not intimidated by how many enemies she's made. She's ashamed of how many people she's killed.

IDK man none of this came across for me as something special to her, rather than just any named character being innately able to pull off improbable feats to some extent

I think the big problem is that everyone else kinda has their moment where you see them doing their own thing - Quill gets the opening bit where he escapes with the orb (and to a lesser extent the bit where he singlehandedly zaps his way through the prison to save his Walkman, for that matter); Rocket gets the whole prison escape scheme; Drax gets to rip bits off whatshisname the second-in-command-guy's skull; Groot is an arboreal swiss army knife all through the movie culminating in his little crash pod scene; even Yondu gets to show off his magic arrow; and Gamora... gets punked by Quill, fights off a mob of generic mooks alongside everyone else, gets turned into the damsel-in-distress by Nebula, and has a big climactic final battle with Nebula where she's pretty much getting her rear end beat until somebody blows a big hole in the room they're trying to duel in. She didn't have to be a super fighter, she's the only one who gives a poo poo about the plot for most of the movie... but she's about as articulate and leaderly as balsa wood so nothing there either. There's just nothing that's uniquely hers, Drax could hack Groot's arms off and beat the crap out of random prisoners too.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 28, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Zombie Boat posted:

My Gf is a friend of a friend of Batista's gf.

"This dumb tree is my friend!"

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
This is a interesting analysis of "Awesome Mix vol. 1" and how it relates to Star Lord's backstory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5_XLtjBDo

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Commissar Of Doom posted:

This is a interesting analysis of "Awesome Mix vol. 1" and how it relates to Star Lord's backstory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5_XLtjBDo

This is really cool, and if this is actually some planing/foreshadowing for Papa Quill showing up in GotG2 it could lead to some interesting stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Red posted:

"This dumb tree is my friend!"

I think you're confusing Drax the Destroyer with Groot.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zombie Boat posted:

My Gf is a friend of a friend of Batista's gf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yazr8JkazmE

;)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

After some consideration, I've decided that what's needed is a crossover between GotG and FLCL, where Naota grows up to become a space captain and him and Haruko wander around the galaxy having adventures with a great soundtrack

The only real problem I can see is that jpop and 70s funk don't really mix well I wouldn't think

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 29, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is really a strange thought, though, but I wished song he was listening to at the end had been something like "You are the Sunshine of my Life" by Stevie Wonder. I don't know why, but a while after I was done watching the film I was thinking on it and thought that would have just been a really bittersweet 70s tune with a stellar theme to have gone out on.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

After some consideration, I've decided that what's needed is a crossover between GotG and FLCL, where Naota grows up to become a space captain and him and Haruko wander around the galaxy having adventures with a great soundtrack

The only real problem I can see is that jpop and 70s funk don't really mix well I wouldn't think

The other real problem is that anime belongs in the trash.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

First Bass posted:

much like your posting!!!!!!!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

First Bass posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is anime as gently caress when it comes to themes and characters (if not the actual artwork), though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

much like your posting!!!!!!!

a mlyp post, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen.

someone capture this post, so it can be mated and preserved.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wade Wilson posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is anime as gently caress when it comes to themes and characters (if not the actual artwork), though.

There was a T-Shirt of with sort of a top-down line-art drawing of the Milano and it struck me how absolutely that reminded of some of the promotional starship design imagery for 80s/90s-era games like Gradius and others that you'd see in instruction manuals, model kits, etc.

I can't seem to find that any company makes a model kit based on the Milano, though, other than a Lego version. Sci-fi themed model kits aren't probably the market they used to be about 15-20 years ago when you had the Trek, Star Wars, ID4, Stargate, B5, etc. all out there for the fandom audience.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone know why the ship is called the Milano? One of my friends guessed it's named after Alyssa Milano, teen heartthrob of the 80s, which seems more plausible than my hazy guess that maybe Star Lord's favourite cookie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Milano is the Xandrian word for Awesome.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Anyone know why the ship is called the Milano? One of my friends guessed it's named after Alyssa Milano, teen heartthrob of the 80s, which seems more plausible than my hazy guess that maybe Star Lord's favourite cookie.

James Gunn confirmed that your friend is right:

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a T-Shirt of with sort of a top-down line-art drawing of the Milano and it struck me how absolutely that reminded of some of the promotional starship design imagery for 80s/90s-era games like Gradius and others that you'd see in instruction manuals, model kits, etc.

I can't seem to find that any company makes a model kit based on the Milano, though, other than a Lego version. Sci-fi themed model kits aren't probably the market they used to be about 15-20 years ago when you had the Trek, Star Wars, ID4, Stargate, B5, etc. all out there for the fandom audience.

That definitely explains this hat, which I absolutely love.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

James Gunn confirmed that your friend is right:

And in case it's not obvious, James Gunn had a childhood crush on Alyssa Milano.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Josh Lyman posted:

And in case it's not obvious, James Gunn had a childhood crush on Alyssa Milano.

I just assume everyone attracted to women currently in their mid-thirties did. It's usually a safe assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pixelante posted:

I just assume everyone attracted to women currently in their mid-thirties did. It's usually a safe assumption.

I blame Double Dragon.

• Locked thread