Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I rewatched the ending to check, and what do you know. Mima tells the person she's talking to that a bunch of people are coming to rescue her. I thought she was talking to Shinki before, but yeah that definitely seals it. Though I don't really know of any other ancient magicians from the outside world so I guess it might be an OC?

Alternatively, super plot twist: it's Miko.

EDIT: The more that I think about it, the more I think it works. It even gives everyone an excuse to fight Byakuren, they think she's Shiro!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Aw, I was hoping it would be the Sendai Miko.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I rewatched the ending to check, and what do you know. Mima tells the person she's talking to that a bunch of people are coming to rescue her. I thought she was talking to Shinki before, but yeah that definitely seals it. Though I don't really know of any other ancient magicians from the outside world so I guess it might be an OC?

Alternatively, super plot twist: it's Miko.

EDIT: The more that I think about it, the more I think it works. It even gives everyone an excuse to fight Byakuren, they think she's Shiro!

I hope so. Like I said, Miko would be the best villain. Although, I don't know if she's really powerful enough to be final boss material. She's definitely got the style and personality for it but I don't if she's enough of a threat. I mean, she's not all that strong is she? However, they could just finish the main plot with her and then have Eiki come in to lecture everyone about how they're awful at their jobs and are going to Hell.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I remain completely confident, as I have since I beat FMW1 for the first time, that Byakuren and Shinki are just red herrings, and the final boss will be Sariel. Dunno if Shiro is Sariel, but she has no real characterization otherwise so it's not like they'd be contradicting canon too hard.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just to compare notes, and I don't think it's worth tagging here - Shiro wants to protect Paradise. Going up to the moon is a bad idea because it invites trouble in paradise by poking a hornets' nest. Bringing in modern technology is a bad idea because it disrupts the harmony of paradise. Paradise must be protected and preserved at all costs, and that means eliminating all foreign influences. That word Paradise keeps getting thrown around, so either it's an OC, or it's a character that uses that term.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Just to compare notes, and I don't think it's worth tagging here - Shiro wants to protect Paradise. Going up to the moon is a bad idea because it invites trouble in paradise by poking a hornets' nest. Bringing in modern technology is a bad idea because it disrupts the harmony of paradise. Paradise must be protected and preserved at all costs, and that means eliminating all foreign influences. That word Paradise keeps getting thrown around, so either it's an OC, or it's a character that uses that term.

Oh, so Paradise is Gensoukyo and Shiro is somehow the Hakurei Shrine God.

Edit: (Don't know whether this speculation should be spoiled but i'll do so just in case) Shiki might also fit as well, I suppose. From what I remember a lot of her lectures are based around how youkai should act like youkai and humans should act like humans, and everyone should just do their drat jobs so that the balance between youkai and humans can be preserved.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 26, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I honestly think they just changed their minds on who Shiro is midway through because their characterization was pretty different in FMW1 and 2. Come 3 they're suddenly a lot more... zealous.

It's not Eiki because none of the hints Yuuka drops about Shiro's real identity apply. It's also not the Hakurei Shrine's patron figure because they didn't know who Reimu or Marisa were prior to FMW1.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys, guys, you're thinking about it wrong by going at it from a Touhou standpoint.

If we think from an SRW standpoint, then it becomes obvious.

It's Euzeth.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Pureauthor posted:

It's Euzeth.

EUZETH :argh:

I'm getting further in and getting more and more confused about the structure of this game. I encountered Orin and Okuu briefly, and assumed that was the start of the SA plot, but now suddenly I'm blasting off to go to the moon. Isn't Yorihime the endboss? Is the entire underground arc Marisa-only or something?

vvv Huh.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nah, that arc's like 3 stages long. There's more after it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, guys, you're thinking about it wrong by going at it from a Touhou standpoint.

If we think from an SRW standpoint, then it becomes obvious.

It's Euzeth.

A bizzre, esoteric power.

Silly head gear.

Causes incidents because he's a dick.

Of course, Euzeth's been a touhou the whole time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course, Euzeth's been a touhou the whole time.

I didn't realize how much I wanted this to happen until today.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So apparently someone on Youtube dug up this weird, dummied out Reimu ability/unit (warning, video has spoilers for the last level I guess).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HGH posted:

So apparently someone on Youtube dug up this weird, dummied out Reimu ability/unit (warning, video has spoilers for the last level I guess).

That's obviously her map sprite from the Yorihime event where Reimu learns Musou Tensei. In fact, it says so in the name. It's just so they can show her on the map with partially closed eyes.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was wondering why Reimu didn't get a Power gated ability of some sort. Guess it'll be for next game, or a later patch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I was wondering why Reimu didn't get a Power gated ability of some sort. Guess it'll be for next game, or a later patch.

I was wondering why Suika didn't learn her own Three Steps to Whatever ability when she met Yuugi. Why was she even forced into that battle anyway? It didn't seem like she did anything special in that fight. Or did I miss something?

Edit: I just read the LP for the previous game, and maybe this was addressed in the thread at the time, but:

BlitzBlast posted:

The entire Queen of the Night thing isn't just a thinly-veiled metaphor of Sakuya's life. It's also the name of her theme in FMW2 (which is also the fourth and final bonus track on the FMW E OST).

It's also, you know, Sakuya's name. It's a reference to the literal meaning of Izayoi Sakuya (ie: the name Remilia gave her). Izayoi means "16th Night" and Sakuya means "Blooming Night". So she is the flower that blooms once a moon. This is also why her POFV theme is called "Flowering Night".

...this is especially ironic because you called Remilia's naming sense boring when it happened earlier in the story. She set this whole thing up from day 1. That's fate for you.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 27, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dammit, I just figured out the joke behind Yuyuko's FMW3 BGM title.

Edit: Also I just did Malice Cannon with Alice in front and I am pretty sure the logistics of the Twin Attack does not work at all.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 28, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Twin Attacks are loving hilarious when you do combinations. Ran and Chen are even more :psyduck:.

I actually still don't get the joke.

BlitzBlast posted:

According to their twitter, the next patch for FMW I comes out 9/5. General release is slated for 9/27, and the OST will probably hit shelves at the next Winter Comiket, 12/30.

And then going by their usual schedule, FMW4 will hit 2016. :negative:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

According to their twitter, the next patch for FMW I comes out 9/5. General release is slated for 9/27, and the OST will probably hit shelves at the next Winter Comiket, 12/30.

And then going by their usual schedule, FMW4 will hit 2016. :negative:

Look at it this way, now you've got just enough time to finish LP'ing the rest of the games. :)

Also, the joke in Yuyuko's song title is that after her demotion to Stage 1 boss in TD it apparently became a joke that in the next game she will be demoted to nameless NPC, which is what 'Person A' refers to. So yeah, it's a dumb fandom thing.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 29, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Wasn't Yuyuko strong in PCB because she was powered by a Spring Season power charged Youkai Tree?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I think it was because she actually gave a drat that one time.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So yeah, it's a dumb fandom thing.

It always is.

Nyaa posted:

Wasn't Yuyuko strong in PCB because she was powered by a Spring Season power charged Youkai Tree?

As WarpedNaba said, she was actually trying in PCB. In TD Youmu even remarks that she's just bored and killing time, plus her post-battle portrait is the same as pre-battle one to show she wasn't even trying whereas every other boss gets a ripped sleeve or something.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's been forever and a day, but I forget why she was trying to make the tree bloom? Wouldn't something really bad happened if that occurred?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
She wanted to revive whoever's soul it was sealed inside the tree, unaware that it was her own, I think is what was going on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RadicalR posted:

It's been forever and a day, but I forget why she was trying to make the tree bloom? Wouldn't something really bad happened if that occurred?

She wanted to meet the person sealed under the tree. She didn't know it was herself, and I don't think anyone's actually told her yet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Plus the tree's one hell of a Youkai on its own. Wouldn't have done anyone any favours to unseal it by removing her corpse.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RadicalR posted:

The bad thing is that the youkai tree would invite people to death again. Also it would immediately kill Yuyuko again because of its death powers, except this time without her being the seal on the youkai tree she wouldn't even stick around as a ghost anymore. Basically reviving herself means killing herself in a really round-about way.

But then her PCB bio also says her plan ends in "inevitable failure" because she can only bring death, not life, so her whole endeavour was basically pointless to begin with.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

a cartoon duck posted:

The bad thing is that the youkai tree would invite people to death again. Also it would immediately kill Yuyuko again because of its death powers, except this time without her being the seal on the youkai tree she wouldn't even stick around as a ghost anymore. Basically reviving herself means killing herself in a really round-about way.

But then her PCB bio also says her plan ends in "inevitable failure" because she can only bring death, not life, so her whole endeavour was basically pointless to begin with.

So this means Yuyuko is an Lovecraftian monster, then? After all, "Death has passed her by..."

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Death didn't really pass her by though. When she was alive she also had her death-granting powers, except as a living human she basically thought it was the worst thing and killed herself, then someone used her soul to seal the youkai tree that also had the power of granting death. The reason Yuyuko sticks around for thousands of years where ghosts normally fade away or move on or whatever is that she's effectively the seal, so she's stuck being a ghost.

Also as a ghost she got a new perspective on death so now she figures hey, inviting people to chill at my manor is pretty cool.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Not to mention that she's fairly into being a gourmand, if her background sprite in HM was any indication. She's certainly enjoying her undeath.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Half the joke with PCB's plot is that Yuyuko's been dead for so long she's forgotten her own dramatic backstory and is thus about to do something really stupid.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I forget what spurred Reimu to charge in after Yukari once that part of it was done. Did Yuyuko mention being tipped off about something under the tree by Mrs Gap?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WarpedNaba posted:

I forget what spurred Reimu to charge in after Yukari once that part of it was done. Did Yuyuko mention being tipped off about something under the tree by Mrs Gap?

Reimu was pissed that there was still a hole between this world and the Netherworld, Yuyuko told her that Yukari was the one who made the gate. So Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya barged into Yukari's place, but she was sleeping(Hibernating) at the time. So they beat up Ran and come back a few months later, beat up Yukari so Yukari promises to fix the problem.

Judging by how the Netherworld is now a popular vacation spot in Gensokyo, I don't think that worked out.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's got snow in the summer, I can see why.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Basically Reimu broke that big sky door to the Netherworld with her barrier-undoing power while going after Yuyuko, so now ghosts are gathering at her shrine because why the gently caress not. While Yuyuko and Youmu were at the shrine they mentioned they told Yukari to fix it, but she's still taking her winter-nap because spring never came, and instead her shikigami's mucking about in the Netherworld, so she just sends Reimu to deal with her because why the gently caress not.

Dr Pepper posted:

Reimu was pissed that there was still a hole between this world and the Netherworld, Yuyuko told her that Yukari was the one who made the gate. So Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya barged into Yukari's place, but she was sleeping(Hibernating) at the time. So they beat up Ran and come back a few months later, beat up Yukari so Yukari promises to fix the problem.

Judging by how the Netherworld is now a popular vacation spot in Gensokyo, I don't think that worked out.

It's not known where exactly Yukari's place is. I think in the Phantasm stage she says it's somewhere on the northeastern border of Gensokyo but nothing more specific than that. Reimu just deals with Ran and Yukari as they're mucking about on the Netherworld stairs instead. Also from what I remember it's not months later so much as the following night.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nyaa posted:

I think asking this question means you're already thinking too much about power levels. Once you realize that stage placement does not correlate with who would beat who in a danmaku slapfight, a lot of things fall into place. For example, Extra bosses haven't been hyped up as being particularly strong since PCB, and ZUN stopped making excuses for Extra stage midbosses after Keine. In other words, he doesn't care, and neither should you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sanae got a powerup in SA because she learned you can't let yourself be trapped by common sense. :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Sanae got a powerup in SA because she learned you can't let yourself be trapped by common sense. :colbert:

And only after that did she fulfill her truest destiny as 2P Reimu.

Dr Pepper posted:

So they beat up Ran and come back a few months later, beat up Yukari so Yukari promises to fix the problem.

Basically, Yukari said "yeah, yeah, I'll take care of that later" and, in traditional Yukari fashion, it's been years since she said that and nothing has happened.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

And only after that did she fulfill her truest destiny as 2P Reimu.

Basically, Yukari said "yeah, yeah, I'll take care of that later" and, in traditional Yukari fashion, it's been years since she said that and nothing has happened.

Yukari is a go-getter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Hey, if the barrier goes up how will Youmu be able to do the shopping and how will Yuyuko be able to leave to tell everyone obtuse metaphors vaguely related to the current incident? :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 30, 2014