Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
the idea of these dumb drones flying around makes me hope someone takes this idea http://www.gizmag.com/skyjack-hijacks-other-drones/30055/

but like a more sci-fi approach where your drone attacks the other drone and a big drill pierces the carapace and takes over motor control and flies it back to your illicit drone hangar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

"Taken with the company’s other robotics investments, Google’s corporate posture has become even more ambitious. Google doesn’t just want to organize all the world’s information. Google wants to organize all the world."

:jerkbag:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

cremnob posted:

"Taken with the company’s other robotics investments, Google’s corporate posture has become even more ambitious. Google doesn’t just want to organize all the world’s information. Google wants to organize all the world."

:jerkbag:

this sounds like something an anime villain would say

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

the idea of these dumb drones flying around makes me hope someone takes this idea http://www.gizmag.com/skyjack-hijacks-other-drones/30055/

but like a more sci-fi approach where your drone attacks the other drone and a big drill pierces the carapace and takes over motor control and flies it back to your illicit drone hangar

but like a more steampunk approach where your drone attacks the other drone and a big net with brass eyelets shaped like gears ensnares the other drone and flies it back to your illicit drone hangar

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but like a more steampunk approach where your drone attacks the other drone and a big net with brass eyelets shaped like gears ensnares the other drone and flies it back to your illicit drone hangar

don't stop I'm almost there

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cremnob posted:

the propaganda is as much for internal consumption as it is for the tech press

this i believe

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

this i believe
cremnob is often right but always irritating

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

cremnob is often right but always irritating

that's why he's an official stymie

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
cremnob is rarely correct

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

cremnob is rarely correct

i disagree he is often correct but in a disgusting, inappropriate way

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

i disagree he is often correct but in a disgusting, inappropriate way

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i meant that he's often right in an absolute sense, he posts a lot and incidentally says some right things

proportionally it's about a third of the time, the rest is just rants and creepiness

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol i have 742 posts in 4 years and they're all right

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
posts in yospos don't count

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

raruler posted:

there's probably a lot of money that will be spent in the near future on consumer-grade drone deterrence and countermeasures

metal's hot. time to strike.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also that's not so much a "sci-fi" approach as it is a "real world" approach because bugs are hosed up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

there's probably a lot of money that will be spent in the near future on consumer-grade drone deterrence and countermeasures

as an added bonus this roof-mounted microwave gun will also repel babyboomers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

duTrieux. posted:

I been mulling over a couple ideas. it's easier because drones are pretty fragile.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
only problem is you'd have to accept a lot of bird death as well, which is fine for me because I loving hate seagulls

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
soryr to break up the party folks but teh harpoon gun has already been invented

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

okay i was thinking wireless interference but if you want to straight-up shoot them out of the sky it's probably a good idea to practice with a slingshot imo

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

punt gun

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just bola those bitches outa the sky

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
laze the cameras at the very least

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what about a big net

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
silly string cannon broadside

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duTrieux. posted:

everyone knows a bloke called Dave. he's a loving prick, Dave is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGCdVADLWY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

max4me posted:

what about a big net

:henget:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

stop giving me reasons to build herf guns

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

slogsdon posted:

i remember for the vast majority of the time i had a nexus s gapless wasn't supported but i think in the last update that device ever got they finally added it

it was super shameful
there is an api that now allows for gapless and other music apps can use it fine but i can assure you that on my nexus 5 google play music does not play music without a noticeable gap between tracks

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rotor posted:

only problem is you'd have to accept a lot of bird death as well, which is fine for me because I loving hate seagulls

if you try to stop the bird death the drone death goes up:

quote:

An animal rights group stopped a planned pigeon shoot over the weekend, leaving the would-be marksmen to shoot down another target: The animal group's aerial drone.

A group called SHARK, SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness, went to Broxton Bridge Plantation near Ehrhardt, S.C., on Sunday to video a live pigeon shoot, according to the Times and Democrat of Orangeburg, S.C. The group lofted a small Mikrokopter drone and planned to tape the shoot. Law enforcement officers and an attorney tried to stop the drone from flying, according to the T&D. The group persisted, and apparently the shooters got back in their cars to leave, said Steve Hindi, president of SHARK.

The drone took off anyway, and then several shots rang out. One eventually struck the drone and it spiraled to the ground, to the dismay of the SHARK representatives who were filming it from the ground. The T&D has video of it here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

it's me i'm the sharking

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
who the hell hunts pigeons?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

JumpinJackFlash posted:

hint: south carolina

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JumpinJackFlash posted:

when's the last time you saw a passenger pigeon?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JumpinJackFlash posted:

they aren't hunting. they are taking pigeons, stuffing them in little launchers, then shooting them when they are thrown into the air. pigeon shoots are hosed up entertainment for people that don't even want to go through the bother of hunting and just want to kill some poo poo while drinking beer with buddies.

most hunters think they are a perversion of just about everything an outdoorsman is supposed to care about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

they aren't hunting. they are taking pigeons, stuffing them in little launchers, then shooting them when they are thrown into the air. pigeon shoots are hosed up entertainment for people that don't even want to go through the bother of hunting and just want to kill some poo poo while drinking beer with buddies.

idgi it's like "I must literally kill something" why not just use clay targets if you're going to do that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

idgi it's like "I must literally kill something" why not just use clay targets if you're going to do that

congrats on arriving at the conclusion sane people reach when hearing about it.

defenders will say things about it being a "tradition" (rich fuckers would do it because expending any effort trying to kill food is something poors did) and/or the live birds needing more skill to hit than a clay pigeon. which as someone who has actually hunted wild doves as well attempted to shoot mini clay pigeons (6cm) let me tell you is some serious bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they should hunt gun instructors instead

• Locked thread