Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

I'm playing through the game again and am about 55 hours in and only at Sword Valley. I've been taking my time with doing all the quests and exploring and am having just as much fun as I did the first time through.

I am also doing that, but I'm not quite as far as you. I decided to give it another go on Dolphin this time (with the high-res textures) and man does it look like a next gen game. I just reached colony 6 and I'm amazed at how much stuff there is to do and how much of it I forgot about. The game is so dense it practically begs for a second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I really wish the New Game + was better in Xenoblade. I'd like to play again with all the skill trees unlocked but without having my levels transfer over too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just fired up the game again with NG+ and I'm kind of disappointed in it. Keeping your skill trees is really the only benefit of it. I was hoping it would carry over player affinity and map completion too.

I kind of want to start from scratch again and attempt a completionist run, but my completed Collectopaedia is the only thing I have trouble letting go of even though it has no use in NG+. I don't want to think about trying to fill that out again :suicide:

E:

Gandalf21 posted:

I really wish the New Game + was better in Xenoblade. I'd like to play again with all the skill trees unlocked but without having my levels transfer over too.

Tales of Symphonia (and subsequent titles?) did NG+ right. You can choose what you want to keep (weapons, armor, items, levels, skills, titles/costumes, whatever) and even some additional bonuses like 10x experience, 10x money, and super hard mode or whatever. I've yet to see another game do it like that.

Mind, you had to pay GRADE for it, which was some sort of in-game bonus currency that is paid (or charged!) depending on how well you play, so you need to pay to carry GRADE over to the next game and play through a couple of times in order to afford the good bonuses. I could be misremembering that a bit, though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 28, 2014

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Mak0rz posted:

Tales of Symphonia (and subsequent titles?) did NG+ right. You can choose what you want to keep (weapons, armor, items, levels, skills, titles/costumes, whatever) and even some additional bonuses like 10x experience, 10x money, and super hard mode or whatever. I've yet to see another game do it like that.

Mind, you had to pay GRADE for it, which was some sort of in-game bonus currency that is paid (or charged!) depending on how well you play, so you need to pay to carry GRADE over to the next game and play through a couple of times in order to afford the good bonuses. I could be misremembering that a bit, though.

Grade is automatically carried over for NG+ and your current grade acts like a cap for what you can select from the grade menu; your total grade doesn't decrease when you select something as everything is refunded the next time you go to the grade shop when starting a NG+. Grade is trivial to get in Symphonia too so you can easily afford most things after a single playthrough or two if you want. Newer Tales games don't let you farm grade via battles but tie it to in game achievements.

It's a great system and I hope X has something similar to make NG+ more compelling than Xenoblade.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 28, 2014

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Some more tidbits from the Edge interview

- The game's development began with laying the groundwork of HD development "so as to not overreach ourselves and cause problems."

- The main character doesn't have a fixed personality, and acts as an avatar for the player. It was felt this was more appropriate to the game's system.

- To complete the quote “Vehicles are called Dolls. They are 5 Times larger than a person. So to get the same feel as Xenoblade Chronicles, the map would need to be 5 times bigger. The game world in X is in fact even bigger than that, but we've made sure to design Xenoblade Chronicles X so that players can still feel comfortable navigating, despite its vast size.”

- Objectives and relevant people to quests will now all be displayed on the map, among other features to facilitate questing.

- The gamepad will act "as a navigation device, in the same way that a lot of tablet computers are." Important aspects of the game's system and your objectives are on the gamepad.

Thank god they're fixing the quest system, one of the biggest issues I had with Xenoblade from an otherwise fantastic game.

planetarial fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 28, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

planetarial posted:

- The main character doesn't have a fixed personality, and acts as an avatar for the player. It was felt this was more appropriate to the game's system.

I wonder what this means, exactly. Do they mean how you can use skills from several different classes, so they felt it more right to make the entire character how you want it to be? I guess I could understand that, and I do think some games can make silent protagonists work (Devil Survivor, for example, has plenty of dialogue choices so while it still worked as an avatar for the player, it still gave some more character to the, uh, character), but I'm still really wary about it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc. I don't know how I feel about not having a named main character but I'll reserve judgement considering their track record.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc. I don't know how I feel about not having a named main character but I'll reserve judgement considering their track record.

I'm definitely a bit less excited about playing a mute/blank slate protagonist but I'm with you. I think if the rest of the game is solid it might not matter much.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc.
Well, I specifically meant the "system" part. Because if it was just what you wrote, then that means they decided on having the protagonist be silent after they made the decision to have you be able to customize her, which seems backwards. So the comment seems more that some gameplay system lends itself better to a blank slate of a character.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Levantine posted:

I'm definitely a bit less excited about playing a mute/blank slate protagonist but I'm with you. I think if the rest of the game is solid it might not matter much.

Especially since apparently Shulk is going to be in Smash now if I hear the rumors right, it's a little disappointing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Especially since apparently Shulk is going to be in Smash now if I hear the rumors right, it's a little disappointing.

I really hope they are adding Shulk to Smash, because then we'd probably get a XB stage. Fighting on the Bionis while the Mechonis takes giant swings at you (or vice versa) would be pretty awesome.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
If you somehow haven't seen the leaks, then yeah, Shulk's in Kerfuffle, we have video evidence of it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

legoman727 posted:

If you somehow haven't seen the leaks, then yeah, Shulk's in Kerfuffle, we have video evidence of it.

His final smash is friendship/teamwork-based Reyn Time, I hope.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
We have no idea what his Final Smash is. I'm betting on change the future stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

His final smash summons Riki

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

His final smash summons Riki THE MIGHTY HEROPON
...who then yells something about helping his sidekick.

Riki is a mascot character done right.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

planetarial posted:

Some more tidbits from the Edge interview

- The game's development began with laying the groundwork of HD development "so as to not overreach ourselves and cause problems."

- To complete the quote “Vehicles are called Dolls. They are 5 Times larger than a person. So to get the same feel as Xenoblade Chronicles, the map would need to be 5 times bigger. The game world in X is in fact even bigger than that, but we've made sure to design Xenoblade Chronicles X so that players can still feel comfortable navigating, despite its vast size.”

- Objectives and relevant people to quests will now all be displayed on the map, among other features to facilitate questing.

- The gamepad will act "as a navigation device, in the same way that a lot of tablet computers are." Important aspects of the game's system and your objectives are on the gamepad.

Thank god they're fixing the quest system, one of the biggest issues I had with Xenoblade from an otherwise fantastic game.

I cannot wait for this game. If it comes out during the summer, I am going to take some well deserved vacation to sink 160 hours into it like I did the first game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

sudonim posted:

...who then yells something about helping his sidekick.

Riki is a mascot character done right.

rikisneaky

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That Riki is actually a middle-aged layabout with multiple kids and crippling debt came with a feeling of genius that washed over me so profoundly, it has yet to be matched and I don't think it ever will.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Coughing Hobo posted:

That Riki is actually a middle-aged layabout with multiple kids and crippling debt came with a feeling of genius that washed over me so profoundly, it has yet to be matched and I don't think it ever will.

Seriously, I'm happy that Xenoblade is getting the respect it deserves in Smash 4, but if you had asked me, I would've taken Rikki a thousand times over Shulk.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTU4OZrjzY
Shulk's in Smash.

The rest of the gang will also be on New 3DS.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 29, 2014

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Mak0rz posted:

His final smash summons Riki

Care to tell me this weeks lottery numbers?

Also: Xenoblade 3DS port, but it only runs on New 3DS

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dunban posted:

Care to tell me this weeks lottery numbers?

Riki and Dundun? :swoon:

I'm shocked that Reyn isn't part of the team, but I have a feeling that he and maybe Seven will be unlockable playable characters.

Also what's this New 3DS all about?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I am way happier than a grown-rear end man should be about Shulk in Smash. Makes me remember just how much fun I had playing XC and its giving me an itch to play it again.

Also does he say "Now it's Shulk Time" in the video? Nice nod but its no REYN TIME

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Metal Face in trailer. Today is the best day.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Metal Face in trailer. Today is the best day.

Needs more Xord imo.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
They really should have ported the game on the WiiU though, it would benefit more from it rather than being squeezed on a 3DS with that tiny resolution.

Oh well, at least it won't be hard to find anymore and more people will pick it up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm surprised people liked Riki and didn't crucify him like Chuchu.

RadicalR posted:

Jesus, what was your final time?

156 hours.

Only slightly more than completing everything in Skyrim and it's expansion packs

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm surprised people liked Riki and didn't crucify him like Chuchu.

Riki was just some middle-aged guy, species aside, with a wife and kids. He was voluntold to help you to go pay off his debts and get him away from town for a while, rather than complain and he totally owns it and hams it up. Plus he's good in a lot of party configurations (all of them).

Did you run across the nopon meth-lab-in-the-woods sidequest? They're not just stuffed animals.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Chronojam posted:

Riki was just some middle-aged guy, species aside, with a wife and kids. He was voluntold to help you to go pay off his debts and get him away from town for a while, rather than complain and he totally owns it and hams it up. Plus he's good in a lot of party configurations (all of them).

Did you run across the nopon meth-lab-in-the-woods sidequest? They're not just stuffed animals.

Plus the whole cutesy personality is a coldly calculated act to make the homs underestimate the nopon.
And he's a hella wise guy who chums it up with Dunban and is a paternal figure for Media.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In one of the very last scenes, (final boss spoilers) right after Shulk gets the Third Monado, and Zanza goes "How can this have happened, you are mere MORTALS! :byodood:" everyone else takes combat stance... except for Riki, who IMMEDIATELY charges straight the gently caress at him. Here's a video link. It's absolutely hilarious and just cements his position as one of the best characters.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Xenoblade is getting ported to the 3DS: http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-is-coming-to-the-3ds-1628392228

And Shulk is a confirmed character in Smash Bros: http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-protagonist-shulk-joins-the-smash-bros-roste-1628387859

Riki, Dunban and Metal Face are in too

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A bit slow on the draw there, sport. It is awesome news though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Quick question, how necessary are the quests in agniratha if I already have 5 stars in that area? I'd like to skip all those dumb quests like I did the first time around if they're as pointless as I think they are.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Quick question, how necessary are the quests in agniratha if I already have 5 stars in that area? I'd like to skip all those dumb quests like I did the first time around if they're as pointless as I think they are.

I don't know that those quests even give you town affinity anywhere. They do give you their direct rewards, and completing them also unlocks a door which leads to one of those secret landmarks that are extra-rewarding for discovering them. (Plus it has a nice view.)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Vil posted:

I don't know that those quests even give you town affinity anywhere. They do give you their direct rewards, and completing them also unlocks a door which leads to one of those secret landmarks that are extra-rewarding for discovering them. (Plus it has a nice view.)

Oh that's good to know, I guess I'll do them for the secret area alone, thanks!

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Terper posted:

I wonder what this means, exactly. Do they mean how you can use skills from several different classes, so they felt it more right to make the entire character how you want it to be? I guess I could understand that, and I do think some games can make silent protagonists work (Devil Survivor, for example, has plenty of dialogue choices so while it still worked as an avatar for the player, it still gave some more character to the, uh, character), but I'm still really wary about it.

I'd be down for a Persona 3/4-like MC that gets appointed the leader just to say a cool/dumb thing every now and then. They did this a bit in Xenoblade, actually, but only for Heart-to-Hearts. I figure it'd be pretty similar to that style where the player character listens, has an internal monologue here and there, and says something every once in a while. If the things you say are cool you get cool dude points.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm playing through again and got all the landmarks and areas of interest on the Bionis' Leg but the map didn't complete. I checked an online map for reference and it seems I didn't miss anything. What gives?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I'm playing through again and got all the landmarks and areas of interest on the Bionis' Leg but the map didn't complete. I checked an online map for reference and it seems I didn't miss anything. What gives?

There are some that aren't listed on the general map that you're probably missing is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You need landmarks (ie places you can warp to, secret areas included) as well as locations (or whatever they're called)- as an example, in Eryth Sea you can find all of the warpable locations without going to locations like some of the hovering isles or shores below, and so your map won't be complete. Both pop up with fanfare and give you EXP though, so you'll know when you find them.

• Locked thread