Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since I was dumb enough to ask a question in a thread that Elf Help Book is in, here's a video to give a sense of scale to the Amiibos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Elf Help'd again!!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So is the demo a pretty good representation of what monster hunter 3 is? I whacked that drat monster so many times and he never died... kind of throwing me off the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ethanol posted:

So is the demo a pretty good representation of what monster hunter 3 is? I whacked that drat monster so many times and he never died... kind of throwing me off the game.

The bunny? In the real game you get a much longer time period. But if you keep trying you should be able to beat it in the demo time with ease.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ethanol posted:

No, the demo is really throwing you into the deep end. The game itself eases you into it a lot better, it has you start with some missions that mostly involve going around and collecting stuff and beating up small monsters that get you used to how the movement and attack system works. The first big monster you fight is just a larger version of those tiny dudes you fight, so it's not so bad. The demo is representative of where you'd be after some tens of hours into the game, I think, and anything that dumps you that far into a game is going to seem frustrating.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I didn't like the demo at all but ended up putting 100+ hours into the full game

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: Amiibo packaging

Man, why is Samus's pose so boring? She's my favorite, but she's practically in a T-pose while everyone gets an action shot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Biggest problem with the MH3U demo is that there's no progression. By the time you see those guys in the real game you've fought a lot of easier stuff and learned a lot about whatever weapon you're using and how monsters behave and react to getting hurt and how to fight things effectively, and probably already put some thought into upgrading your equipment. Just fighting those guys with none of the build up is kind of loving stupid in terms of presenting the game to new players. Even for MH pros its a lovely demo cause in the grand scheme of things those are some of the least fun monsters in the game.

If there's anything about that demo that appeals to you though then you'll love the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really liked fighting the bunny and quickly trying out the different weapon types on it and was sold on the game by the demo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Neraren posted:

Man, why is Samus's pose so boring? She's my favorite, but she's practically in a T-pose while everyone gets an action shot.

Yeah they should have gone with

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

I really liked fighting the bunny and quickly trying out the different weapon types on it and was sold on the game by the demo.
The bunny is dumb and youre dumb for liking it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've got the full game downloading now so bunny and I will surely meet again. $12 after my $5 reward for buying dkctf yesterday. not bad at all

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Neraren posted:

It's Other M Samus. Being boring is her MO(m). :smith:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neraren posted:

She needs permission.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
e: whoops wrong topic, ignore.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

-Lots of release windows that I won't post because they're boring and probably not even accurate (aside from all the indie delays)
Too bad, I'm updating the OP with them, anyway.

Most notable changes, to me anyway:
  • Teslagrad finally has an official release date of September 11th.
  • Affordable Space Adventures has been officially delayed to Q1 2015 (which I am kinda' sad about, but it's not surprising since they were kinda' like "ehhh we're not so sure it's gonna' come out this fall).
  • Bayonetta 2 has an official release date of October 24th.

A little puzzled that they didn't include Art of Balance anywhere on there, since Shin'en sent in their final build for testing weeks ago.

edit:

homeless snail posted:

The bunny is dumb and youre dumb for liking it.
You are wrong, fighting the Lagombi is hella fun

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Sad is what it is. When you get it down enough it starts limping and running away. :(

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Wii U news from the latest Direct/PR:

-There's a Club Nintendo Smash promotion for all regions that lets you claim a two-disc Smash 4 soundtrack if you register both the 3DS and Wii U versions

-The first 12 Amiibos are up for preorder in NA, suggested price $12.99 each: Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

-NA is getting two new $299 Wii U 32GB bundles: a Mario 3D World/Nintendo Land bundle, and a Walmart-exclusive Mario Kart/Nintendo Land bundle; both contain physical games, not downloads.

-Art Academy is stills scheduled for 2014 in NA, not mentioned for PAL-land.

-Lots of release windows that I won't post because they're boring and probably not even accurate (aside from all the indie delays)

EDIT: Amiibo packaging

This is from the Japanese one?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I don't know if anyone has posted it yet, but Bayonetta 2 has a release date of October 24.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
^^^already done, see above

numerrik posted:

This is from the Japanese one?
Actually, basically none of that comes from the Direct, and it's all from Nintendo of America PR.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

^^^already done, see above

Actually, basically none of that comes from the Direct, and it's all from Nintendo of America PR.

Ahhhh, I totally skimmed over that bullet point.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I feel no shame in preordering all of those.

Well, maybe a little but I'm used to it by now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Are NES Remix Pack and Ultimate NES Remix just the other two games packaged as one game?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axleblaze posted:

Are NES Remix Pack and Ultimate NES Remix just the other two games packaged as one game?

The NES Remix 1+2 retail combo is the two games together (16+12 NES titles). Ultimate is 16 NES titles, don't know what pool they're drawing from.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

• Bayonetta 2 has an official release date of October 24th.

This is the best birthday present I could ask for!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Monster Hunter is probably pretty good if you can find an enormous amount of time to put into it. I couldn't ever get into it because the fighting seemed about as shallow as a puddle and it wanted me to spend a million hours running around looking for stuff and gathering stuff that appears randomly. I probably would have loved it when I was a teenager.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whaley posted:

Monster Hunter is probably pretty good if you can find an enormous amount of time to put into it. I couldn't ever get into it because the fighting seemed about as shallow as a puddle and it wanted me to spend a million hours running around looking for stuff and gathering stuff that appears randomly. I probably would have loved it when I was a teenager.
There's a couple of gathering quests they force you take at the beginning that are pretty lame for sure, but after the first hour they never make you do it again. Not really sure why you're saying the combat is shallow though, they're probably the deepest action games coming out right now that aren't made by Platinum.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It's been a while since I played my copy but doesn't it only have two attacks per weapon?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

whaley posted:

It's been a while since I played my copy but doesn't it only have two attacks per weapon?

No, not remotely. I'm not intimately familiar with every weapon but there are a good number of basic attacks for each weapon and tons of ways to chain them together, as well as a specific gimmick for each weapon type. Monster Hunter is not a shallow game, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. It has a slower, more methodical pace to combat which some people find boring.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whaley posted:

I can see how you'd think that, but most weapons have a half dozen on more moves depending on states or combos or whatever, it varies from weapon to weapon.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

whaley posted:

My preferred weapon (dual swords) have something like twelve or thirteen attacks, two operating modes, and three infinite-attack chain options.

The starter sword and shield has less offensive options but easy/safe infinite chains, can block, and can use items whenever. Each weapon's going to feel different.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
As mentioned above, the combat is farthest from shallow as you can possibly get. The fact that it's not a button masher is part of the draw to the game.

I pre-ordered a Link Amiibu, I'm not entirely sold on the concept but I figured it would be good to have one to mess around with and see how it works.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Holy poo poo how long does this first update take?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I pre-ordered the Villager and Kirby Amiibos because they are my friends

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
When the Pitty Pat(tm) and Pretty Palutena(c) Amiibos are available I will be buying them too this is the Amiibo update

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I must have gotten lucky, when I took my Wii U out of the box doing the first update only took about 20 minutes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The new 3DS/WiiU Shantae went from Summer 2014 to TBA 2014 :|

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

I pre-ordered the Villager and Kirby Amiibos because they are my friends
I want to upload my cute Animal Crosser and give them like 30 cute bucks for a cute custom amiibo.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pirates Curse? That's been delayed so many times now.

Might be they're devoting more manpower to Half Genie Hero since they just got Hero Modes funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

At this point we'll probably get the Kickstarter game before we get the game they were making before they even starter that thing.

• Locked thread