Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

maffew buildings posted:

Was it Jason Chambers that said it? He has a history of not wanting to get stopped early before a conclusive finish though

I think it was Franklin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
The cool opera singer shouting the names ala Pride is always nice to hear getting work.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

willie_dee posted:

The cool opera singer shouting the names ala Pride is always nice to hear getting work.

thats lenne hardt, respect

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Lol 2 one sided title fights in a row, cool

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Aoki is the king of the b-leagues. He'd proooobably be depressing in the UFC, but it's fun watching him style all over UFC washouts.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Alright so

Good job Funky Ben + Jadalamba + Aoki + Roger Huerta + McSweeney

Legacy FC tonight on AXS.tv at 10 EST featuring Jonathan Brookins

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
That was as one-sided as most ONE FC cards, but still fun. Probably the least disastrous attempt to have 3 title fights on one night in MMA history.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Food Court Druid posted:

That was as one-sided as most ONE FC cards, but still fun. Probably the least disastrous attempt to have 3 title fights on one night in MMA history.

yea, i thoroughly enjoyed that card

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Shalorus has got this in the bag :cool:

Shalorus is a wrestler only in the absolute broadest sense.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Shalorus has claimed to be a world class wrestler for his entire career despite demonstrating it basically never. It's not even the ol' Jorge Gurgel thing of "why isn't this dude grappling, isn't that what he's good at?" but more so that literally his MMA wrestling talent level has never matched up with whatever supposed pedigree he's got.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

attackmole posted:

Shalorus has claimed to be a world class wrestler for his entire career despite demonstrating it basically never. It's not even the ol' Jorge Gurgel thing of "why isn't this dude grappling, isn't that what he's good at?" but more so that literally his MMA wrestling talent level has never matched up with whatever supposed pedigree he's got.

Promoters love guys like that because it lets them say "man, this dude was that good, look at these unverified credentials, and our guy just RAGDOLLED him".

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Is it that or is it more cuz there's a difference between Greco/Freestyle wrestling and applying said wrestling to MMA?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In case there's any OneFC scouts in this thread I wrestled from 1980-1985 for the CIA, they will deny it but that's SOP. I was 300-0 and many within "the company" as we call it credit me with ending the cold war.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

also here is the schedule for the rest of the weekend

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2359299/This-Week-in-MMACombat-Sports---Aug-29th---31st

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Is it that or is it more cuz there's a difference between Greco/Freestyle wrestling and applying said wrestling to MMA?

Two things -

A) Folkstyle wrestling is much more applicable to mma and submission grappling groundwork than freestyle and greco, which is why almost all the mma wrestlers known for their groundwork are americans who did folkstyle for years and years before getting into greco/freestyle

B) Shalorus exaggerates the gently caress out of his actual freestyle accomplishments, which consist mostly of placing 8th in a UK Olympic qualifier. Which means he barely made the top 10 of the best wrestlers in England.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
shalorus is a notorious liar, to the point where people were questioning whether or not he was actually kamal shalorus

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

shalorus is a notorious liar, to the point where people were questioning whether or not he was actually kamal shalorus

His dead older brother was Kamal Shalorus.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

fatherdog posted:

B) Shalorus exaggerates the gently caress out of his actual freestyle accomplishments, which consist mostly of placing 8th in a UK Olympic qualifier. Which means he barely made the top 10 of the best wrestlers in England.

To put this into context, I was entered into a some what known submission grappling tournament in the southwest UK, won a total of 0 times and was awarded a gold medal in the 125lbs division, I was ranked in the top 10 for almost 3 years.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I'm pretty sure Kamal Shalorus is the guy that made up his birth date because he doesn't know it.

Also,

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure Kamal Shalorus is the guy that made up his birth date because he doesn't know it.

Also,

hahahahaha

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

A) Folkstyle wrestling is much more applicable to mma and submission grappling groundwork than freestyle and greco, which is why almost all the mma wrestlers known for their groundwork are americans who did folkstyle for years and years before getting into greco/freestyle

To expand on this (because it's something I often allude to without actually explaining, which is a bad habit) the reasons for this are twofold, both of which are based on the scoring systems -

1) in Freestyle/Greco, points for takedowns are scored escalatingly based on the amplitude and landing. So a takedown that barely gets your opponent down on all fours gets one point, and a bigger cleaner takedown gets 3, and a huge suplex gets 5. Whereas in folkstyle, all takedowns are two points, so a dirty double that just barely gets your opponent on the mat scores exactly the same as spinning your opponent on your finger and slamming him on the mat while you whistle "Sweet Georgia Brown". So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes lengthy handfighting to set up a big throw, whereas folkstyle incentivizes bulldogging your opponent to the mat by any means necessary. Since pure grappling handfighting and setups often aren't applicable in mma and for the most part nobody gives a poo poo how you get your opponent on the mat as long as you get him there and keep him there, the skills involved with folkstyle are much more directly applicable to mma.

2) Par terre rules - once you hit the mat in Freestyle/Greco, if the action "stalls" for more than like 20 seconds the referee restarts it on the feet. In folkstyle, on the other hand, you get points for riding time (keeping top control on your opponent for a certain length of time) and for escapes (getting out from under your opponent). So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes flattening out and stalling as soon as you get taken down, whereas Folkstyle incentivizes fighting as hard as possible to get back to your feet and escaping (and, conversely, maintaining control of your opponent after a takedown). The latter rather obviously develops much more useful skills for mma.

This is why just about 99% of the freestyle/greco wrestlers that have successfully adapted their wrestling to mma are guys with extensive folkstyle experience, the only notable exceptions being Sakuraba (who is an outlier in nearly every possible respect) and Miyata.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Congrats Yuriy for showing up in my twitter feed being retweeted by lenne.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

To expand on this (because it's something I often allude to without actually explaining, which is a bad habit) the reasons for this are twofold, both of which are based on the scoring systems -

1) in Freestyle/Greco, points for takedowns are scored escalatingly based on the amplitude and landing. So a takedown that barely gets your opponent down on all fours gets one point, and a bigger cleaner takedown gets 3, and a huge suplex gets 5. Whereas in folkstyle, all takedowns are two points, so a dirty double that just barely gets your opponent on the mat scores exactly the same as spinning your opponent on your finger and slamming him on the mat while you whistle "Sweet Georgia Brown". So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes lengthy handfighting to set up a big throw, whereas folkstyle incentivizes bulldogging your opponent to the mat by any means necessary. Since pure grappling handfighting and setups often aren't applicable in mma and for the most part nobody gives a poo poo how you get your opponent on the mat as long as you get him there and keep him there, the skills involved with folkstyle are much more directly applicable to mma.

2) Par terre rules - once you hit the mat in Freestyle/Greco, if the action "stalls" for more than like 20 seconds the referee restarts it on the feet. In folkstyle, on the other hand, you get points for riding time (keeping top control on your opponent for a certain length of time) and for escapes (getting out from under your opponent). So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes flattening out and stalling as soon as you get taken down, whereas Folkstyle incentivizes fighting as hard as possible to get back to your feet and escaping (and, conversely, maintaining control of your opponent after a takedown). The latter rather obviously develops much more useful skills for mma.

This is why just about 99% of the freestyle/greco wrestlers that have successfully adapted their wrestling to mma are guys with extensive folkstyle experience, the only notable exceptions being Sakuraba (who is an outlier in nearly every possible respect) and Miyata.
i mostly agree but also: yoel romero.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

canoshiz posted:

Also,

:laffo:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and while sakrabab was a decent freestyle guy with a good single leg, we can all agree that his main success was due to his training in the One True form of wrestling: professional

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Considering he spends 50% of his matches striking and 49% of his matches dancing, I'm not sure he counts as "successfully adapted their wrestling to mma", but nonetheless I will add him as an exception.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Considering he spends 50% of his matches striking and 49% of his matches dancing, I'm not sure he counts as "successfully adapted their wrestling to mma", but nonetheless I will add him as an exception.

The remaining 1% is spent making GBS threads, I assume.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

TheReverend posted:

Congrats Yuriy for showing up in my twitter feed being retweeted by lenne.

I can't remember who it was here but the last time Kelvin Gastelum missed weight I was confused on why I was seeing a reply exchange underneath his tweet saying he was sorry. It was some guy who made a joke at him about loving buffets or some poo poo, then Gastelum saying "Thanks, like I don't feel bad enough right now", and then the guy saying sorry because he didn't think he'd actually see it.

Then I realized it was because it was a goon I was following hahahahahhaa.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, re: exceptions, before someone brings them up -

Vladimir Matyushenko went to junior college in the US after he emigrated and competed extensively in folkstyle before he started in mma

Kid Yamamoto grew up in the US and was an Arizona state champ in folkstyle before he went back to Japan and competed in freestyle

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Kid Yamamoto grew up in the US and was an Arizona state champ in folkstyle before he went back to Japan and competed in freestyle

Kid is also not good at fighting and built his reputation wrestling the poo poo out of Japanese dudes mostly.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gregor Samsa posted:

Kid is also not good at fighting and built his reputation wrestling the poo poo out of Japanese dudes mostly.

Same is true of Miyata, but I was being as generous as possible.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

Same is true of Miyata, but I was being as generous as possible.

Reza Madadi managed to do pretty well, with a base in greco and freestyle. Too bad he is also a tremendous idiot.

I was also going to mention Ilir Latifi, but I guess that can wait until he beats anyone who's actually decent.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

Romero's MMA wrestling accomplishments are all high amplitude takedowns that resulted in essentially no top control, so exactly what you'd expect from a freestyle guy.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

king mo is fighting dustin jacoby on sep 5th

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Legacy Fighting Championships on AXS.tv will be going live at the top of the hour (10 PM EST)

Link forthcoming or just pop into #mma

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

we are live

http://www.vipleague.se/boxing/246158/1/legacy-fc-34:-hall-vs-souza-live-stream-online.html

edit: weird rule

"12 to 6 elbows are legal when both opponents are standing"

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
There's a pretty good/sloppy fight going on now

edit: and a stoppage about 20 punches too late

Troxartas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Troxartas posted:

There's a pretty good/sloppy fight going on now

that stoppage was retardedly late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
JT's baby is 5 weeks early... he's in hospital with his Mrs's now and the UFC tweets him... what timing.