Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

moebius2778 posted:

Finally, the last thing I don't like is that there's no geographical modeling - both the plague and the allele frequency have strong geographical correlations, from what I understand. And, again, from what I understand, they're opposed - Black Death hit southern Europe the hardest, while the allele frequency is the highest in northern Europe.

I thought the point was that it wasn't the bubonic plague that caused the resistance but some other hemorrhagic fevers that were later mistaken for bubonic plague by historians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yo disease lords, has the question of "was the Black Death for sure bubonic plague" been settled yet?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

I thought the point was that it wasn't the bubonic plague that caused the resistance but some other hemorrhagic fevers that were later mistaken for bubonic plague by historians.

Have a good talk from this year:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/01/29/267598868/ancient-plagues-dna-revived-from-a-1-500-year-old-tooth

Maybe we can take this to the outbreak thread and make it a general epidemiology info station?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If I got to choose I think I'd pick nuclear war over biblical disease outbreak.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's not kid ourselves, it's gonna be one, then the other.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i wish i could believe in an apocalyptic event. things are just going to slog on, staying terrible, but never reaching a dramatic status which would inspire us to collectively do something about it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There will be when the sun goes red giant and slobbers up the Earth like Palin does a big gulp.

Finally.... Peace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

If I got to choose I think I'd pick nuclear war over biblical disease outbreak.

Yeah but what if it was radiation and not fireball that got you.

I'd pick Earth shattering asteroid.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gigantic Coronal Mass Ejection.

...or even better, galactic-scale Gamma-Ray Burst. We'd never even see it coming until it baked everything off Earth miles deep.

Well, baked isn't the best word but you know what I mean.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dr. Faustus posted:

...or even better, galactic-scale Gamma-Ray Burst. We'd never even see it coming until it baked everything off Earth miles deep.

That's one of the least-likely-while-still-technically-possible doomsday scenarios I think I've ever heard.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

That's one of the least-likely-while-still-technically-possible doomsday scenarios I think I've ever heard.
...on a long-enough timeline...

Thinking about more of this stuff, the moon is receding from us every year. At some point it will escape and how will we maintain our orientation without it? The seas all sloshing around, radiation from the sun moving all over the place. That sounds pretty bad!
And I dunno about the core, but what about all the liquid iron under the mantle? It changes direction and flips the magnetic poles periodically, doesn't it? That sounds like it could be bad, too, especially if it suppresses the magnetic field that protects us from the sleet of hard cosmic rays and solar radiation that would give us all cancer and stuff. Right?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 29, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
More or less likely than if the core of the Earth stopped spinning?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Grey goo is where it's at.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or like a genocidal alien intelligence, because at least then you'd know.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dr. Faustus posted:

...on a long-enough timeline...

Sure, but long enough for a supergiant star that happens to be close to going nova to move anywhere close enough is long enough for the sun to burn out before anything of the sort happens, too

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Or like a genocidal alien intelligence, because at least then you'd know.

Munkeymon posted:

Sure, but long enough for a supergiant star that happens to be close to going nova to move anywhere close enough is long enough for the sun to burn out before anything of the sort happens, too

Why you harshin' my buzz, bro?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That "into the far future" timeline page on Wikipedia is spooky as heck

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

zoux posted:

quote:

7.2 Millions years from now: Without maintenance, Mount Rushmore will erode into unrecognizability.[140]

:911: Lest we forget

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Earth's surface temperature, even at the poles, reaches an average of ~420 K (147 °C, 296 °F). At this point life, now reduced to unicellular colonies in isolated, scattered microenvironments such as high-altitude lakes or subsurface caves, will completely die out.[36][46][d]

well that's not good

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Worse than that, the Sheena sequence from Stephen Baxter's novel Manifold: Time. It leaps forward into the "far downstream" to the heat death of the universe, and postulates how sentience might survive that long. The first time I read it, even though the timescales were completely incomprehensible to my feeble primate brain, I still felt this panicky kind of revulsion at the concepts. Makes you realize that even though something like 95% of all the stars that will ever be born already have been, we still live in the bright, hot afterglow of the Big Bang.

I've never read anything sci-fi, hard sci-fi or fantasy, that made me feel so ill.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

420 Kelvin reduce human life to cinders every day

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dr. Faustus posted:

Why you harshin' my buzz, bro?

I think it's more horrifying to consider what will certainly happen when the next big asteroid lands

Death is certain, but hoo boy you picked a doozy of a way to go :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wonder if the universe isn't a huge loop, maybe when I die, I'll immediatly be born again, repeat my life, etc... ad nauseam.

Maybe I've written this post an infinity of times already.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
imagine four poo poo posts on the edge of a cliff...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why can't doomsday scenarious ever be fun? Like, sudden clathate rupture releases methane that unexpectedly rains down as 75% ethanol and 25% water all over the planet?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why can't doomsday scenarious ever be fun? Like, sudden clathate rupture releases methane that unexpectedly rains down as 75% ethanol and 25% water all over the planet?
I'm down. I'm probably going to die drunk regardless.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn (in a 150 proof flame)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why can't doomsday scenarious ever be fun?

What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

Yo disease lords, has the question of "was the Black Death for sure bubonic plague" been settled yet?

Nope, coulda been a combination of diseases including a smallpox update, I think it'll be settled as they're getting pretty close to start looking at dead viruses in medieval burial grounds.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Randler posted:

You won't believe who is infecting Christians with Ebola to destroy Jesus and start a new age of liberal darkness

(Read more)

Spoiler: It's Obama.

Christians infect themselves by consuming the blood of Christ. It's really unsanitary.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
had crab cakes for dinner lads, very good :cheers:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Northeast goons, what exactly is Grande-brand cheese, I see it all the time in New York pizzerias and self-styled New York-style pizzerias here in CA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Northeast goons, what exactly is Grande-brand cheese, I see it all the time in New York pizzerias and self-styled New York-style pizzerias here in CA

Upstate NY representing here, this is the first I heard about it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
...now that I google it, I can see it's based in Wisconsin, not the East Coast :downs:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

...now that I google it, I can see it's based in Wisconsin, not the East Coast :downs:

Don't sweat it, Drylander, it's East enough for you. :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Moscow doesn't want or intend to wade into any "large-scale conflicts," Putin insisted at a youth forum, state-run Itar-Tass reported. A few breaths later, he made the point that Russia is "strengthening our nuclear deterrence forces and our armed forces," making them more efficient and modernized.
"I want to remind you that Russia is one of the most powerful nuclear nations," the President said. "This is a reality, not just words."
He later warned, "We must always be ready to repel any aggression against Russia and (potential enemies) should be aware ... it is better not to come against Russia as regards a possible armed conflict."

We are so hosed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

We are so hosed.

Invading the Ukraine is self defense. As a Facebook friend says, the most horrible crime enacted on Ukraine right now is the West-controlled IMF offering them a loan.

Seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet the Poles are making GBS threads themselves right now. Every time Russia gets froggy the Poles get hosed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

I bet the Poles are making GBS threads themselves right now. Every time Russia gets froggy the Poles get hosed.

The Poles are members of NATO, though.

Article V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Poles are members of NATO, though.

Article V.

Yes and Slavic peoples have never been hosed over by governments and thus have a deep abiding trust in states and treaties.

Seriously Russians and most all other Eastern Europeans have never ever had what we'd call a reasonable government.

• Locked thread