Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

onefish posted:

Hi! So I'm pretty sure this was covered in the thread before, but I didn't actually catch the consensus answer. I'm about to finish up Grant Morrison's Batman/etc run. (Well, maybe 10 issues to go.) What should I read next? I'm pretty sure I want to read Snyder, but should I read his Detective Comics stuff (people really like Black Mirror--does it stand alone?), or post-New-52?

I'm excited by all the good response to Zero Year, and I'd like to read that, but don't know if I should read earlier Snyder Batman (Court of Owls etc?) first. Also, I really am not clear on how important tie-in issues are for events like "Death of the Family" and "Court of Owls" (also, not sure how good those are compared to "Zero Year" or Morrison Batman). I'm generally an author-driven comics reader, and I'd prefer not to read comics not by the primary architect of a story if possible, but I'm not clear on DC's "event" structure and whether I'll be hampering my enjoyment by doing so.

(I tried to Google these answers, but didn't get any definitive-sounding info.)

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Snyder's Detective run (Black Mirror) is fantastic, and is the tale of Dick as Batman during Bruce's...absence. Get it get it get it.

Zero Year is totally self-contained as it's all flashback. Dive in if you want.

I really enjoyed the creepy mood of the Owls storyline, and would definitely recommend it. Death of the Family was a pretty big step down, I thought.

Tie-in issues to DotF and CoO are totes unnecessary. Just stick with Snyder's Batman and you'll be Just Fine.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

redbackground posted:

Snyder's Detective run (Black Mirror) is fantastic, and is the tale of Dick as Batman during Bruce's...absence. Get it get it get it.

Zero Year is totally self-contained as it's all flashback. Dive in if you want.

I really enjoyed the creepy mood of the Owls storyline, and would definitely recommend it. Death of the Family was a pretty big step down, I thought.

Tie-in issues to DotF and CoO are totes unnecessary. Just stick with Snyder's Batman and you'll be Just Fine.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks very much!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All of Syder's Batman is worth reading. Also, since you're acquainted with Morrison's stuff, I'd recommend the N52 Batman and Robin. If you get on that, try to read it in step with Batman Inc vol. 2 and Snyder's book. It has really great aftermath issues for events in those.

I thought the two Death of The Family tie-ins in B&R did the best job of making The Joker actually terrifying.

e: For today's comics, I liked Eternal a lot and Batman/Superman was brilliant.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
B&R also had the best tie in to a certain event that occurred in Morrison's batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eternal spoilers

Bard is working for Hush

Meh, I wish Snyder and Tynion would wrote a good guy with out turning him evil as twist.

I wonder if they are going to keep the motivation of Hush the same or if make up somehting new.
Also who is Gates? Is he an established character?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

I wonder if they are going to keep the motivation of Hush the same or if make up somehting new.

Gates of Gotham.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gates-...gates+of+gotham

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Madkal posted:

Hush is a terrible character that not even Paul Dini could fix, and I hope they take the New 52 as a chance to rebuild him from the ground up. The only way to make him work is to completely change him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gotham Academy promo sheets from Becky Cloonan.

I can smell the cancellation.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
A Zero Year hardcover is up for preorder (a surprisingly fast turnaround for DC) but I'm disappointed there's no option that is strictly the Zero Year issues by Snyder. The hardcover is full of all the tie-ins that were basically worthless and had almost nothing to do with the Zero Year storyline.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They didn't matter to the main story at all, but at least the Green Arrow and Action Comics ones were really good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
While I wasn't the biggest fan of the Court of Owls arc, I loved Death of the Family and enjoyed the only other tie-in I read, which is the great Batgirl storyline.

I'm sorry?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

The Action Man posted:

Hush is a terrible character that not even Paul Dini could fix, and I hope they take the New 52 as a chance to rebuild him from the ground up. The only way to make him work is to completely change him.

With Hush rumored to be the next major villain of the Arkham games I wouldn't be surprised if they kept his characterization for Arkham City, which is more or the less the same as all his other appearances so far.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

With Hush rumored to be the next major villain of the Arkham games I wouldn't be surprised if they kept his characterization for Arkham City, which is more or the less the same as all his other appearances so far.

I guess I can skip the next few Arkham games, then.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
He's probably going to be a sidequest in the next Arkham game, if anything, but I doubt he's going to be the main villain.

It's pretty obviously going to be Scarecrow with special guest appearances by the other main villains form the Arkham games. The only question is who the heck the Arkham Knight is. It's still probably not going to be Hush.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

With Hush rumored to be the next major villain of the Arkham games
Sources needed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

redbackground posted:

Sources needed.

He'll probably be A villain in it but yeah, all signs point to Scarecrow as THE main villain. They've been setting Hush up for two games now, so if he doesn't have at least a larger role than in them I'll be surprised, though.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Source 1
Source 2

Following that, Rocksteady said the character is an original one but considering the all the similarities between what has been revealed, and Hush's past characterization in comics and games it doesn't seem to far off that there's a good chance it's still him.

Either way, even if he's not the main villain in the game, he had a pretty memorable role in Arkham City and I wouldn't think they'd change his characterization too much from that since that the only place non comic book readers have even seen him.

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage
The Arkham games still have Babs as Oracle and Tim as Robin. They're not really tied to any new continuity, especially after the end of Arkham City.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

The Wreck posted:

The Arkham games still have Babs as Oracle and Tim as Robin. They're not really tied to any new continuity, especially after the end of Arkham City.

True, maybe not continuity wise but the games are very close in tone to the new 52 in a lot of ways. Babs and Tim are established character in a lot of different media, where Hush hasn't been in anything but the games, I just don't see them throwing away that characterization.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

True, maybe not continuity wise but the games are very close in tone to the new 52 in a lot of ways. Babs and Tim are established character in a lot of different media, where Hush hasn't been in anything but the games, I just don't see them throwing away that characterization.

I like the games's continuity. I think they tow the line between "we all know these characters" and "you need to have read comics for years to understand this plot line." It's something a lot of books don't get right.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
As someone who was introduced to Oracle through the Arkham games (I only got into reading DC comics some time after) I think they did a good job explaining things for people who don't read the comics with the info sheets. Up to that point I had no clue she was paralyzed in the comic continuity because I only knew about her from the Animated Series. Same goes for a lot of other characters, like Hush and Zsasz.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It wouldn't make much sense for the Arkham Knight to be Hush anyway. From Arkham City they do seem to be staying really close to his early comic appearances characterization, right down to giving himself surgery to look like Bruce. He wouldn't become a cheap knock off of Batman who uses guns, he would become Batman and try and replace him. That's his whole thing. It just doesn't fit unless they change what they already set up in City.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

It wouldn't make much sense for the Arkham Knight to be Hush anyway. From Arkham City they do seem to be staying really close to his early comic appearances characterization, right down to giving himself surgery to look like Bruce. He wouldn't become a cheap knock off of Batman who uses guns, he would become Batman and try and replace him. That's his whole thing. It just doesn't fit unless they change what they already set up in City.

Unless I'm misremembering, he never wanted to be Batman, he was just interested on Bruce so that idea also doesn't work.

Now that I think about it, what is exactly his end goal?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, he never wanted to be Batman, he was just interested on Bruce so that idea also doesn't work.

Now that I think about it, what is exactly his end goal?

Be Bruce, live the life that he felt Bruce (well, Bruce's father, really) robbed him of: having dead parents and everything being awesome because of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

Be Bruce, live the life that he felt Bruce (well, Bruce's father, really) robbed him of: having dead parents and everything being awesome because of it.

That is awfully shallow and petty.

How is that Hush became a high profile rogue?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's the point. He's a shallow and petty psychopath who acts like a bigshot and quotes Aristotle as though remembering something anyone could easily google is somehow enlightening. He just so happens to apply his intelligence to loving around with Bruce, a person who has never once wronged him before because he thinks Bruce's family is the source of all his problems. He also hates Zatanna for the simple act of existing in the same space as him and Bruce, since she was one of his childhood friends as well.

Honestly I didn't care for Hush in Loeb's arc that introduced him for the first time, but he grew on me through Dini's writing in Heart of Hush (which provides a lot of background on him and gets into his motives) and Streets of Gotham (in which he's the primary antagonist of almost the entire series.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jim Lee art.

Hmm yes, two opinion pieces by Sims. So, no sources then.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2014

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

redbackground posted:

Hmm yes, two opinion pieces by Sims. So, no sources then.

That's about right. I guess my point was more that given that these were his most recent portrayals and that he likely would have a major role (though I'm probably 99.9% wrong about him being the main villain) I wouldn't expect them to change the character much.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't know why but I have always wanted Hush to become the first high profile gay villain. In a perfect world he would be nothing more than a crazy celebrity stalker.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Madkal posted:

I don't know why but I have always wanted Hush to become the first high profile gay villain. In a perfect world he would be nothing more than a crazy celebrity stalker.

I was hoping he would become the new Crime Doctor.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I wanted Hush to be the new Anarky, in that no one would write about him or want to read about him.

Oh also, Pied Piper exists, Madkal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

I wanted Hush to be the new Anarky, in that no one would write about him or want to read about him.

You should check out this wiki for Anarky. Looks like he was Alan Grant's most favourite character ever and that more thought was put into him than Anarky every deserved.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

HitTheTargets posted:

:(
I would want to read about Anarky.
(Owns the TPB and all the issues from the 1999 series. Even the unpublished ones.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another problem I have with Hush. Is that his Back story is pretty much identical to Black Mask's. They were even both childhood friends of Bruce who secretly hated him. (They really should play up this fact with Black Mask.)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another problem I have with Hush. Is that his Back story is pretty much identical to Black Mask's. They were even both childhood friends of Bruce who secretly hated him. (They really should play up this fact with Black Mask.)

I didn't even know that was part of Black Mask's character. I just thought he was a gangster with a gimmick and no real personal connection to Batman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Question IRL posted:

:(
I would want to read about Anarky.
(Owns the TPB and all the issues from the 1999 series. Even the unpublished ones.)

Anarky was pretty popular here in latinamerica back in the 90's and he's one of my favorite Batman characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tommy didn't secretly hate Bruce, though. They stopped hanging out right after Tommy's father died.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

MonsterEnvy posted:

The key difference is how they were introduced. Hush got the biggest names to him and is the main villain of an arc that's highly regarding as a good introduction to Batman for people who haven't read the comics. Black Mask got War Games and I don't think I need to explain how it's regarded as one of the worst modern Batman arcs.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

lotus circle posted:

The key difference is how they were introduced. Hush got the biggest names to him and is the main villain of an arc that's highly regarding as a good introduction to Batman for people who haven't read the comics. Black Mask got War Games and I don't think I need to explain how it's regarded as one of the worst modern Batman arcs.

Black mask predates War Games by something like 20 years (1985)...however, most of his characterization, ie Al Pacino Scarface in a Skull Mask, is from there and as many issues as War Games had, Black Mask was a pretty fun villain in that and the Catwoman run following.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Quote != Edit

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread