Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I just got a friend request on facebook from someone called Lou Pit.
(For Americans, a loo is a toilet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Beethor was due in clinic today.

Turned out to not be some Norse god of stinging thunder, but instead some smiley middle aged lady, what a let down.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Met a friend of my aunt named Annette Jeanette Gaunette, also her brother Gary Gaunette, from Marinette. Madness engulfs my family.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

rear end-Haggis posted:

Met a friend of my aunt named Annette Jeanette Gaunette, also her brother Gary Gaunette, from Marinette. Madness engulfs my family.

I read this post in Stompin' Tom's voice.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Heard of an Augie on my flight home yesterday.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Watching a show on the Oprah network and there is a woman named La'Kila pronounced La-kill-a. She had 4 kids that didn't go to school because she was "home schooling" them and she lived with all four of her kids at her aunt and uncles' s house. All I could think is thats what happens when you give your kid a name that sounds like "the killer"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mister Olympus posted:

Like, short for "August?"

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

sweeperbravo posted:

As in Augie Murgy, famous highly-decorated American soldier whose exploits in the War of 1812 are chronicled in the Johnny Horton song "The Battle of New Orleans."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

If your name's Augustus, it's a better nickname than Gusty.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sweeperbravo posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augie_T.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've known a couple of Augies in my time; all short for either August or Augustus.
There's also the novel The Adventures of Augie March, which was pretty great.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Augusto, Augustus, August

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
All my coworkers have been sharing our middle names, since a bunch of us have our middle initials on the schedules for some arbitrary reason. Most of 'em are fairly standard, but one guy's middle name is Renwick (REN-ick). I thought it was cool.

Also, one of my buddies from high school recently had a baby boy. I went to his Facebook page to congratulate him, and found out that he had named his son Raistlin Tiberius. Just... drat. Not as bad as the Sephiroths I'm sure are running around, but drat.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I now know 3 boys under the age of 7 called Ptolemy.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Istari posted:

I now know 3 boys under the age of 7 called Ptolemy.

Are any of them Greek or vaguely Egyptian in any way?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Centripetal Horse posted:

Are any of them Greek or vaguely Egyptian in any way?

Not at all.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Excedrine White, because he gave his mom a headache while she was pregnant. I worked at the welfare board as a clerk and this one one of the names that stood out that I had to ask about.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

All my coworkers have been sharing our middle names, since a bunch of us have our middle initials on the schedules for some arbitrary reason. Most of 'em are fairly standard, but one guy's middle name is Renwick (REN-ick). I thought it was cool.

http://youtu.be/sitzsxFIlQM

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
A local grocery store posted the winners of a children's coloring contest: Caedon, Sophie, and Meskerem. I understand that Caedon is just a misspelled Caden/Kaden, but where do they get Meskerem?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

A local grocery store posted the winners of a children's coloring contest: Caedon, Sophie, and Meskerem. I understand that Caedon is just a misspelled Caden/Kaden, but where do they get Meskerem?

Picture an Ethiopian kid named January.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

Meskerem is the name of a month in the Ethiopian calendar. It's not an uncommon girls' name in Ethiopia.

efb

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

This was cute until I saw the spellings. Now I'm mad.

And here are some names i got from a list when I googled "weirdest baby names." (Actually, I accidentally wrote "werdest." Don't know if that affected the results...)

Blip

Feline

Kiwi

Ajax
(Most people are going to think of the cleanser, face it.)

Cub

Danish

Legend

Leviathan
"Leviathan Sephiroth Johnson! You take your sister's hamster out of the microwave RIGHT NOW!"

From here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_unusual-baby-names-of-2013_10388919.bc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

CAEDON sounds like a type of legendary D&D monster.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

Ajax[/b] (Most people are going to think of the cleanser, face it.)

It's fun to go the Family Search website and type in any word as a first name, ask for an exact spelling and see how ridiculous you can get. For example, I just typed in Victrola. There were/are a handful of people named Victrola. Lucifer? Several of them, with an interesting example of a Louisiana family with sons named Lucifer and Heafen which I bet is a bastardized spelling of Heaven.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The White Dragon posted:

CAEDON sounds like a type of legendary D&D monster.

Well it's one L short of being the area that Hadrians Wall was built to protect the Romans from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's fun to go the Family Search website and type in any word as a first name, ask for an exact spelling and see how ridiculous you can get. For example, I just typed in Victrola. There were/are a handful of people named Victrola. Lucifer? Several of them, with an interesting example of a Louisiana family with sons named Lucifer and Heafen which I bet is a bastardized spelling of Heaven.

I would've thought heathen.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

My friends just had a kid named Charlie. If their next one's not named Mambo I will be... well, relieved.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I know someone who's having a baby soon and plans to name her Jenasis. Not sure if that's terrible or just confusing.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

bringmyfishback posted:

Blip

Feline

Kiwi

Ajax
(Most people are going to think of the cleanser, face it.)

Cub

Danish

Legend

Leviathan
"Leviathan Sephiroth Johnson! You take your sister's hamster out of the microwave RIGHT NOW!"

I fully support a parent's right to name his or her child Feline, or Blip, or Thud, or whatever. I think the concept of telling people what they can and cannot name their children is asinine.

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline, or Diezel, or any random noun from a language that is not their native tongue, or any random noun from a language that is their native tongue, and for anyone who has seventeen children with the same name, such as "George."

Edit: ^^ The parents of "Jenasis" go directly to the gas chamber under my plan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline, or Diezel, or any random noun from a language that is not their native tongue

Excuse you, it's pronounced fell-een :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline, or Diezel, or any random noun from a language that is not their native tongue, or any random noun from a language that is their native tongue, and for anyone who has seventeen children with the same name, such as "George."

Like 100% or more of names are originally just random words from different languages.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We're Americans, our names don't mean poo poo.

Dubh
Jan 16, 2009

As in Augie Murgy, famous highly-decorated American soldier whose exploits in the War of 1812 are chronicled in the Johnny Horton song "The Battle of New Orleans."

Not quite. The soldier is Audie Leon Murphy, who was born in the 1920s. The song only mentions Colonel Jackson.

Unless you're kidding.
:)

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Just called, in quick succession, people with the last names Muckenfuss and Frick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

We're Americans, our names don't mean poo poo.

They do to people with a proper education :smuggo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerry Cotton posted:

They do to people with a proper education :smuggo:

So, they still don't mean anything to us Americans then.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I know someone who's having a baby soon and plans to name her Jenasis. Not sure if that's terrible or just confusing.

You're not sure if naming a child Jenasis is terrible ? Really ?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Istari posted:

You're not sure if naming a child Jenasis is terrible ? Really ?

Sega does what Nintendon't. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I fully support a parent's right to name his or her child Feline

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline

You got some problems.