Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sorry for your loss, Gin. She's destroying the stuff of angles now.

So, what's an appropriate amount of foot floof? I just got home from an extended farm work stay, and while Ella was spoiled in my absense, she's become a little matty. Not bad, just scraggly enough to annoy me. So I've been spending a minute each day finger-brushing and yanking matts. They are mostly loose and come out with a little tug. The majority have come from her hocks and feet. But I was thinking, since lapine feet don't have pads, do they need a bit of cushion from the matts?

I was also admiring the spectacular shape her nails are in. She must sneak off to get manicures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sorry for your loss, Gin. She's destroying the stuff of angles now.

So, what's an appropriate amount of foot floof? I just got home from an extended farm work stay, and while Ella was spoiled in my absense, she's become a little matty. Not bad, just scraggly enough to annoy me. So I've been spending a minute each day finger-brushing and yanking matts. They are mostly loose and come out with a little tug. The majority have come from her hocks and feet. But I was thinking, since lapine feet don't have pads, do they need a bit of cushion from the matts?

I was also admiring the spectacular shape her nails are in. She must sneak off to get manicures.

I always cut off their little foot mattes if they didn't just pull right out. They don't need them for anything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I always cut off their little foot mattes if they didn't just pull right out. They don't need them for anything.

I'll keep picking then. They come out pretty well. Ella does not tolerate being brushed(well, not without thrashing enough to make me fear she'll break her back) so I just fur-pluck with my fingers. Removes quite a bit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I don't know how, but somehow Harriet last night managed to slip past all my bunny proofing strategies, and got stuck under my bed. I had to break my bed to get her out......I love her, but at the same time......

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Leave a bunny alone... floss picks everywhere.

e: oops giant photos

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Leave a bunny alone... floss picks everywhere.

e: oops giant photos

I've posted this before but leave a bunny alone, they end up atop a 4 foot high dresser.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
And too scared to jump back down? My bunny does that a lot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet seen here, is trying to lure her arch-enemy into a false sense of security before she strikes.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 4, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet seen here, is trying to lure her arch-enemy into a false sense of security before she strikes.

Let's be honest here, it's a bunny. If anything she trying to form an alliance to go after you.

Probably for the bow.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
After three weeks of twice daily medication doses, I can't even approach my bunny without him growling, thumping and running for safety.

Anyone have a happy story of rebuilding a loving, trusting relationship after something like this? Or am I doomed to care for an ungrateful bastard bunny for the rest of his life?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

My bunny is freakishly forgiving. He hates being picked up and having his nails done but 15 seconds after leaping free he'll come back and lick me.
Also, I've said this a bit before but my bunny licks me a ridiculous amount. He'll just sit there licking my hand if I'm reading in bed, my face if I'm asleep or my pillow if I've left.

Also found he's eaten two pairs of my shoes I thought I'd had successfully eaten, just in case you thought maybe he was so well behaved maybe he wasn't really a rabbit.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

Bloodnose posted:

After three weeks of twice daily medication doses, I can't even approach my bunny without him growling, thumping and running for safety.

Anyone have a happy story of rebuilding a loving, trusting relationship after something like this? Or am I doomed to care for an ungrateful bastard bunny for the rest of his life?

I had to do the twice daily meds thing a few months back and she was absolutely terrifies of me. I've never been BFFs with this rabbit but she's chilled way out in the time since then and doesn't run away from me any more.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I find being polite is the only way back into good graces with my buns. Basically as soon as the bunny shows signs of disliking my behavior, I back off. Eventually they remember they don't have to run away. But it does take some time and treats help.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I just sit on the floor with a book and some treats/fruit/leafy greens. As soon as Harriet cautiously approaches me, I give her one of the above.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Flemmies with delicious books and bookshelves:

Evidence of flemmies' preferred snacks:

Gotta say, the toilet pipe connector was a surprise. I will be more concerned about their mouth strength next time they remove my glasses from my face and throw them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So the other day I let Harriet out of her cage to frolic, and ducked into the bathroom to brush my teeth before bed. I came back in and looked at my pillow

What's that behind the pillow there?

Oh Harriet, wishing me a goodnight?

(Or trying to get more revenge for the bow? I checked behind the pillow, no presents left)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

boberteatskitten posted:

Gotta say, the toilet pipe connector was a surprise. I will be more concerned about their mouth strength next time they remove my glasses from my face and throw them.

My bunny does this too! What is it with glasses that annoys rabbits so?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So the other day I let Harriet out of her cage to frolic, and ducked into the bathroom to brush my teeth before bed. I came back in and looked at my pillow

What's that behind the pillow there?

Oh Harriet, wishing me a goodnight?

(Or trying to get more revenge for the bow? I checked behind the pillow, no presents left)

She's probably digging at your pillow because it smells like you. Whether this is Harriet just being a bunny or some sort of implied threat, I could not tell you.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

My bunny ate through the back pocket of my jeans so I threw them at him in disgust and left for work.

When I came back he had spread them out a bit and was nesting in them like it was his victory trophy.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but holy poo poo rabbits are jerks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hahahahaha, had the same thing happen with a pair of flight pants, and she had dragged it over to her cage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We used to strew old tablecloths and sheets around the house for the rabbit, which kept him out of our clothes.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I've got a bit of a problem. One of my friends just showed up here with three wild baby bunnies in a big plastic tub. She found them in her backyard, believes that their mother has been killed by a coyote and will not take them back. She brought them to me because I'm the resident rabbit lover. I know that baby rabbits have an extremely low chance of surviving in captivity, and that it's always better to leave them in their nest. But I'm stuck with them now, and there's a big thunderstorm going on outside, so I'll keep them for the evening at least.

It also happens that we're hosting a big bash today, there are 60+ people partying here and I have very little time/space to tend to these cute little things right now.

For now, I've given them hay, water, and some pellets, and I'm hoping that they're old enough to eat those things, but I just don't know. :( I've taken these pics and posted this as quickly as I can, and I'll check back later.

What should I do next? Do they look old enough to eat hay? When and how should I release them?

Included my hand in the pic for a scale reference

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Huge Liability posted:

I've got a bit of a problem. One of my friends just showed up here with three wild baby bunnies in a big plastic tub. She found them in her backyard, believes that their mother has been killed by a coyote and will not take them back. She brought them to me because I'm the resident rabbit lover. I know that baby rabbits have an extremely low chance of surviving in captivity, and that it's always better to leave them in their nest. But I'm stuck with them now, and there's a big thunderstorm going on outside, so I'll keep them for the evening at least.

It also happens that we're hosting a big bash today, there are 60+ people partying here and I have very little time/space to tend to these cute little things right now.

For now, I've given them hay, water, and some pellets, and I'm hoping that they're old enough to eat those things, but I just don't know. :( I've taken these pics and posted this as quickly as I can, and I'll check back later.

What should I do next? Do they look old enough to eat hay? When and how should I release them?

Included my hand in the pic for a scale reference

You may already know this, but unless your friend seen any real evidence of the mother being dead, she's probably wrong. The mother only visits them for feedings and spends the vast majority of her time away from them. I'm not sure at this point if the mother would still find them if they were put back or not.

e: If you skim through the thread I know there was a vet posting here last year who raised a baby bunny to the age to safely be released back into the wild

doubleedit: Found who I was talking about, Dr. Chaco and HelloSailorSign both posted about the baby bunny they rehabbed. It looks just as tiny as those in your pic in the beginning.

Dr. Chaco's posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2549220&userid=76620

HelloSailorSign: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2549220&userid=172019

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 17, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks for the links.

Yeah, I know the mother likely isn't dead. This is the second time someone has come to me this summer because they thought they'd found abandoned babies. Thankfully, that person hadn't moved the babies yet. I told her to leave them alone, and sure enough, the mom was alive and the babies are doing fine.

I've had a bit of time to read up on this now that most of our visitors have gone home. Unfortunately, it's clear that I'm completely out of my depth, as every article says amateurs are almost never successful in feeding wild baby rabbits. I wish I'd stood my ground and insisted that my friend take them back.

It's now 2 in the morning here, so I'll have to pick this back up tomorrow.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If nothing else, keep posting pictures because they're extremely cute.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know how on flyers for lost or found pets the pets always look cute, alert or content? Saw one posted around a town about a found bunny and now I'm kicking myself for not taking any pictures. It looked so angry. I'm sure it was planning exactly in what order to destroy its careless owner's possessions for the crime of not being more careful and making the bunny suffer the indignity of having its predicament publicized on every street corner.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I learned two things today. First, the only reason my friend thought the mother rabbit was dead was because my friend's neighbor's cat got killed by a coyote this week, and therefore she assumed the mother rabbit must have been killed as well (wtf). So the mother is almost certainly alive. Second, there was a fourth baby they couldn't catch, and so they just left it there.

I consider this a good thing, because it means there's a chance the mother is hanging around with the baby that was left behind. So I'm going to try and insist that we take them back to the nest. The only local wildlife rehabilitation place deals with birds, and I know the humane society won't deal with baby rabbits because I've seen them turn someone down before. So I think bringing them home is the best thing to do at this point.

e: In other rabbit news, Penny is spending the weekend in my room because both spare bedrooms are occupied. She crawled under my bed and spend the night destroying my souvenir copy of a newspaper with a neat Bennett cartoon inside. A Bad Rabbit.

e2: My friend has agreed to place the buns back in their nest. I believe this is what's best.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 17, 2014

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Huge Liability posted:

e2: My friend has agreed to place the buns back in their nest. I believe this is what's best.

I would agree with you. Those little guys have the best odds if there's at least a chance the mother will come back for them.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
KMS Hayloft is having a sale on 3rd cut timothy to make room for the 2014 harvest. Here's the text:

3rd timothy SALE!!!

It's time to make room in our barns for the 2014 harvest hays! 3rd
timothy is going on sale as much as 5 dollars a box. Get it now while we
have it in stock! The prices have been set accordingly on our site and
we will not be refunding any previously placed orders. This sale runs
from right now until August 30th.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 22, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Muahahaha I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that hay, anticipating illness, treating illness, and EVIL EVIL devil child stuffs anymore. Earlier today I told my friend that something was in "the bunny room" even though there has never been a rabbit in this apartment, let alone that room, and I haven't owned one for a year. Makes me kinda sad, but also somewhat relieved.

Here's a dog. He eats whatever, and can throw up (he even eats that!), and I don't feel under constant threat of my evil creature dying.

Also he cuddles and kisses me and is pretty much indestructible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

luscious posted:

Muahahaha I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that hay, anticipating illness, treating illness, and EVIL EVIL devil child stuffs anymore. Earlier today I told my friend that something was in "the bunny room" even though there has never been a rabbit in this apartment, let alone that room, and I haven't owned one for a year. Makes me kinda sad, but also somewhat relieved.

Here's a dog. He eats whatever, and can throw up (he even eats that!), and I don't feel under constant threat of my evil creature dying.

Also he cuddles and kisses me and is pretty much indestructible.

I'd rather pick up bunny poo than dog poo any day.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah but dogs only poop like twice a day while bunnies poop roughly twice a minute.

Sometimes I wonder why I have a rabbit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah but dogs only poop like twice a day while bunnies poop roughly twice a minute.

Sometimes I wonder why I have a rabbit.

True, but at least my rabbits are litter trained. However, dogs are always more huggable pets. Part of the reason I like having rabbits is because they don't mind if I'm too busy to pet them one day.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My bunnies are starting to jump and cuddle me while I lay on the couch now which is cute and all but I am wondering if I should discourage this. Would this embolden them to start crapping, pissing or chewing on my couch like I've finally got them not to?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No, not in my experience. But Grace has a mat right outside her cage which is 'hers' and she pretty much only poops on that or in her cage generally.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bowie and Duff got a nice big pen and tarp which is "theirs" and they're pretty good at crapping and pissing there.
They really like my couch tho.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Okay, time for a cuteness dump.

"Whatchoo lookin at?"

"Yo, I'm eating. Back off"

"Just decorated, how do you like it?"

"Don't gently caress with me, dog"

"Hey, wake up and feed me!"

"Fuuuuuck, I ate too fast"

"No seriously, I ate way too fast"

"Ughhhhhhhh, at least this metacam tastes good"

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

I think you just wrote Buns: The Graphic Novel.

Fanfic of said novel from Flemmie-land: today we go to feed the flems and one doesn't start running around like a deflating balloon when she hears the pellets. This is worrisome. She perked up and started eating again an hour later or so, but there was definitely a "I just picked up this rabbit and she didn't seriously harm me. She must be dying." moment.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

No, not in my experience. But Grace has a mat right outside her cage which is 'hers' and she pretty much only poops on that or in her cage generally.

IT TOTALLY DID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, you have to understand that it's their couch, and they just let you use it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Like everything else you claim to own.