Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part was localizing a game based on an anime that no one had ever watched on a console nobody owned, 5 years after it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

My favorite part was localizing a game based on an anime that no one had ever watched on a console nobody owned, 5 years after it came out.

Which one was that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Which one was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2522HMt5Dg

to be fair it was more like 3 and a half years but still

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Endorph posted:

:allears: Victor Ireland...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Endorph posted:

You take that back, Magic Knight Rayearth was the best show.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Even better was that the only reason to play the Magic Knight Rayearth game was if you already liked the show. Because it is a really bad game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Even better was that the only reason to play the Magic Knight Rayearth game was if you already liked the show. Because it is a really bad game.
Once upon a time, I was really desperate for a JRPG and I played the fan translation of the SNES version because it was something at least. The battle animations were actually pretty good iirc but I always thought the localization was spotty at best: their androgynous elf buddy was named Fairyo, and the bosses were mechanical beasts called Mashines.

To be fair, I'm not sure what else you're supposed to expect out of a literal magical girl RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Once upon a time, I was really desperate for a JRPG and I played the fan translation of the SNES version because it was something at least. The battle animations were actually pretty good iirc but I always thought the localization was spotty at best: their androgynous elf buddy was named Fairyo, and the bosses were mechanical beasts called Mashines.

To be fair, I'm not sure what else you're supposed to expect out of a literal magical girl RPG.

"Mashin" is an accurate translation actually. That's what they're called.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

dirty nub posted:

The original Lunar: The Silver Star for Sega CD is one of my favorite games of all time. The remakes drastically simplified the combat system and changed up the story a bit. I would really recommend playing the Silver Star and Eternal Blue on Sega CD.

The one major advantage I think the PSX version has is that your party will often comment on what NPCs say, and it really adds a lot of character to your party members. I started playing through the Sega CD version and I didn't see that happening in that version, at least from what I saw.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The White Dragon posted:

their androgynous elf buddy was named Fairyo

Ferio. As in the car. Because everyone was named after cars.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also I'm pretty sure Ferio wasn't one of the androgynous ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

You could actually probably make a really good magical girl RPG. Persona 3 already had you winning love by daylight and fighting evil by moonlight, just copy that idea and apply it to an all-female party, make the villains more out there and hammy, and dial the dark tone back a notch, and bam, you're there.

EDIT: Also the Sailor Moon RPG was pretty okay.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Kickstart that poo poo boys, I wanna play a game about little girls in dorky outfits with a stupidly long title.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also the Sailor Moon RPG was pretty okay.

This is super-true. Just weird enough in a lot of ways that I'm still fond of it to this day.

Also the way they handled the alternate endings was nifty AND let you just reload to see the other one, without it being a "poo poo ending y/n" dialogue box.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Million Ghosts posted:

Kickstart that poo poo boys, I wanna play a game about little girls in dorky outfits with a stupidly long title.

There got to be at least a dozen or two of these that never got released over here. I mean, come on, that poo poo is like bread and butter of kids anime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So very typical fantasy fair, stupid human tried to use evil all powerful thing and then it didn't work as she had planned and now everyone is hosed. Crono is gone presumed dead and same for Schala. Don't really care about either of them much, especially since Schala had a whole five minutes of screentime, maybe ten.

But yeah, how close am I to the endgame now? I will probably be doing some of the sidequests since they seem to be important for Character Development but I hope those aren't too long. I really don't like putting off the end of a game the first time through because it feels like I'm removing the dramatic weight of the story.

Also I've been using Ayla a lot because and Marle's Iceberg Toss saved me against the first Golem. Now everyone is clammering for me to keep using her because Charm is apparently super-amazing. I would like a lot of Megalixirs thank you.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Go talk to the man at the end of time, he will tell you everything you need to know.

Also if you go to the north cape in 12 000 bc don't fight who shows up there.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, how close am I to the endgame now? I will probably be doing some of the sidequests since they seem to be important for Character Development but I hope those aren't too long. I really don't like putting off the end of a game the first time through because it feels like I'm removing the dramatic weight of the story.

You can end the game whenever you want! Okay but yeah you've actually got a fair amount of end game quests left to do, as mentioned just talk to the man at the End of Time and he'll point you in the right direction as long as you've got something left to do. Most of the late game sidequests are actually all pretty significant in terms of content, so don't skip em. I'd save the Dark Omen for very last though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Seconding do all the sidequests and save Dark Omen for last. Those sidequests give a lot of good equipment for Dark Omen and the final boss.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

So very typical fantasy fair, stupid human tried to use evil all powerful thing and then it didn't work as she had planned and now everyone is hosed. Crono is gone presumed dead and same for Schala. Don't really care about either of them much, especially since Schala had a whole five minutes of screentime, maybe ten.

Also I've been using Ayla a lot because and Marle's Iceberg Toss saved me against the first Golem. Now everyone is clammering for me to keep using her because Charm is apparently super-amazing. I would like a lot of Megalixirs thank you.
Charm is amazing. You can get some really great equipment from most bosses, especially where you are now. And yes there are enemies in I think the Black Omen that you can farm Megaelixers from. She also hits the hardest and has some great Double/Triple Techs. Ayla is arguably one of the most useful party members.

As for Schala, all is forgiven for that theme. :allears:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I wouldn't skip the sidequests, they're significant game content in their own right and they really flesh out some of the characters and their backstories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schala's theme is arguably the single best piece of videogame music ever written.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Schala's theme is arguably the single best piece of videogame music ever written.

um

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK3Et0Vedos

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did say arguably. Also the GBA soundchip makes everything sound like it's playing underwater.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I suppose now is as good a time as any to repost the best thing to come from Chrono Resurrection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoGFvn_fOk

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
All the music from Suikoden 2 is so good, but that might be because I've played it so many times that I need to love it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I love Charm. I was gonna start the "Rainbow Shell" sidequest but in the old Reptile lair there are these things called Fossil Apes I can constantly respawn and each of them gives me a Megalixir. I'm gonna spend a good while stockpiling those.

I also HAVE to use Magus in my party now I know he was Janus. That was a great twist/reveal and it really just makes all the pieces fall into place. In a game that hasn't had much in the way of surprises, this was a welcome change of things and so he has to be in my party when I defeat Lavos.

Also I just learned that the Fiends are called "Mystics" in Woolsey's translation. I can kinda get behind that since "Fiend' has rather negative connotations. Makes them all sound like Hellspawn when we know that not all of them are quite so terrible.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 30, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It also helps that Magus is really strong, bordering on overpowered. He was in my party pretty much constantly once I got him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I got Magus, Ayla and Crono as my party but then I don't have a healer. I don't want to constantly rely on Items. I have like 100K Gil but I'm sure any future equipment I will want to buy will be insanely pricy so I don't want to squander my fortune on getting as many Hi Potions as I can. Mid-Potions only heel like 200 I think and that's useless. Marle with Cure can heal pretty much any character to full and it only costs 1 MP with the Stud she has on as an accessory.

Maybe I'll go for a party of Magus, Ayla and Marle. They are my favorite characters. Well Marle and Magus for Story and Ayla for Charm.

edit:

I forgot Marle has Haste. Yeah, she stays.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 30, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I got Magus, Ayla and Crono as my party but then I don't have a healer. I don't want to constantly rely on Items. I have like 100K Gil but I'm sure any future equipment I will want to buy will be insanely pricy so I don't want to squander my fortune on getting as many Hi Potions as I can. Mid-Potions only heel like 200 I think and that's useless. Marle with Cure can heal pretty much any character to full and it only costs 1 MP with the Stud she has on as an accessory.

Maybe I'll go for a party of Magus, Ayla and Marle. They are my favorite characters. Well Marle and Magus for Story and Ayla for Charm.

edit:

Magus Marle Crono is probably my party of choice, since Crono is far and away the best physical attacker with endgame equipment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I just learned that the Fiends are called "Mystics" in Woolsey's translation. I can kinda get behind that since "Fiend' has rather negative connotations. Makes them all sound like Hellspawn when we know that not all of them are quite so terrible.

Fiends is a more more accurate translation though. In the original version they're just called Mazoku (basically "demons") and Magus's name is just "Maoh" which is just effectively 'evil lord/demon king" Negative connotations are exactly what they should have.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone post the youtube video where some guy freestyle raps over Schala's theme

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Fiends is a more more accurate translation though. In the original version they're just called Mazoku (basically "demons") and Magus's name is just "Maoh" which is just effectively 'evil lord/demon king" Negative connotations are exactly what they should have.

Oh I understand that. I settled on the DS version because it is apparently more accurate than the SNES one. Some people told me Magus' character was even changed somewhat in the Woolsey version. I guess because he's more fond of joking around? That does seem out-of-character given how rather bleak his storyline is.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I used Magus Marle Lucca for their insanely powerful Dark Eternal triple tech but Crono definitely has the highest damage potential in the end game on his own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baby Babbeh posted:

It also helps that Magus is really strong, bordering on overpowered. He was in my party pretty much constantly once I got him.
The worst part about Magus is that he doesn't get dual or triple techs (without the skill stone) with your party at all. Though I like to imagine this is because he's a jackass and whenever someone is like "brah we should set up a dual tech, it would be siiiiiiiiick" he's just like "no let me brood"

quote:

I used Magus Marle Lucca for their insanely powerful Dark Eternal triple tech but Crono definitely has the highest damage potential in the end game on his own.
Well, barring any crit shenanigans with Ayla.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

edit:

If you ever want a real easy time with the game, use Crono, Robo, and Frog. Frog and Robo have a heal that always cures everyone for full health. You can use it every turn if you wanted while Crono does whatever he wants. That's an unstoppable tactic. The group also has one of the strongest triple techs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The White Dragon posted:

Well, barring any crit shenanigans with Ayla.

Or Robo with Crisis Arm, once you figure out how it works from the misleading item description.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I typically use Crono Frog and Ayla, Ayla and Frog have a heal all dual tech and the physical triple tech you get from this team is beast as gently caress. Plus Crono and Frog have increased crits from the hero medal and rainbow sword. Doubly so in the ds version where they give Frog an even better hero's medal.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Crono, Robo, Ayla. Heal Laser! Kung fu! YEAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I love how this thread, right now, is illustrating exactly why the game is so popular.